Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 140308 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:17 - Sep 17 with 1661 viewsDJack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:50 - Sep 17 by Andy1300

Hey, it’s ok, these time will be back soon enough then

What is it with you and twitter comments from agenda/ideology driven accounts or bots pretending to be human???

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:10 - Sep 18 with 1632 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:17 - Sep 17 by DJack

What is it with you and twitter comments from agenda/ideology driven accounts or bots pretending to be human???

I think the point he was making has gone a little over your head there

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:35 - Sep 18 with 1625 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:02 - Sep 17 by exhmrc1

Had we taken action correctly perhaps we might be avoiding this. We were down to an average 15 cases a day. Had we continued on the path we were on by now we wouldnt have had or at least had minimum amounts. Instead we open our borders and people come back with the virus and spread it throughout the community through pubs and lack of social distancing at home. The net result is that instead of the 8 cases we had on 12 August we had 199 cases yesterday increasing the likelyhood of the Health Service cancelling operations. The figures speak for themselves 5 August 14 , 12 August 8, 19 August 21, 26 August 34, 2 September 42, 9 September 165, 16 September 199.

Do you see the pattern developing. Up until pubs reopened and people came back from holidays the figures were dropping by close to 1/2 per week. Since 8 August there has been an increase making what you have posted far more likely

I think what's happening now was unavoidable, I saw some figures yesterday for RCT and Caerphilly, the increase in case numbers look's to me it's purely down to the the ramp up in testing,, and they had gone from testing a couple of hundred to 3000 tests plus..

I'm not knocking your concern, I said the other day I was keeping eye on Spain and France, and they are both worrying me now, especially Spain

If we go along the same lines as Spain have showed, come mid October, regardless of testing I can see the UK figures going above 200 deaths a day again.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 1:48]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 02:30 - Sep 18 with 1613 viewsDJack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:10 - Sep 18 by Jack123

I think the point he was making has gone a little over your head there

I saw what he was saying I just referenced another of the tweet "authors" he seems to pick up on. But thank you for your contribution... no, really!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:08 - Sep 18 with 1562 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:35 - Sep 18 by Jack123

I think what's happening now was unavoidable, I saw some figures yesterday for RCT and Caerphilly, the increase in case numbers look's to me it's purely down to the the ramp up in testing,, and they had gone from testing a couple of hundred to 3000 tests plus..

I'm not knocking your concern, I said the other day I was keeping eye on Spain and France, and they are both worrying me now, especially Spain

If we go along the same lines as Spain have showed, come mid October, regardless of testing I can see the UK figures going above 200 deaths a day again.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 1:48]

It was avoidable. The figures had come down from 391 new cases a day to 8 so somebody had been doing something right. We were very close to nil but then 30 people became infected in Wales alone coming back from Zante. They went into the pubs and it has spread from there. There have been other cases where people have returned from elsewhere infected. Once there is an infection it spreads. Stopping the infection getting here is the key in the way places like Singapore and New Zealand have done. When you have nobody with it pubs can open because there is no virus to spread. Our biggest problem in Wales was preventing cases coming across the border.

It isnt purely down to testing. They are testing more cases in areas where the infection is so you will see an increase. You could test a thousand cases in a village with no virus and find no cases. There has been a huge increase in cases in South East Wales which started with people coming back from abroad. Not so very long ago places like Caerphilly and Blaenau Gwent were going days without any cases. On 10,11 and 12 the whole Aneurin Bevan Health Board area didnt have a single case for 3 days. Now they have the first area in lockdown and another 2 places that might be in lockdown shortly.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:51 - Sep 18 with 1548 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:08 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

It was avoidable. The figures had come down from 391 new cases a day to 8 so somebody had been doing something right. We were very close to nil but then 30 people became infected in Wales alone coming back from Zante. They went into the pubs and it has spread from there. There have been other cases where people have returned from elsewhere infected. Once there is an infection it spreads. Stopping the infection getting here is the key in the way places like Singapore and New Zealand have done. When you have nobody with it pubs can open because there is no virus to spread. Our biggest problem in Wales was preventing cases coming across the border.

It isnt purely down to testing. They are testing more cases in areas where the infection is so you will see an increase. You could test a thousand cases in a village with no virus and find no cases. There has been a huge increase in cases in South East Wales which started with people coming back from abroad. Not so very long ago places like Caerphilly and Blaenau Gwent were going days without any cases. On 10,11 and 12 the whole Aneurin Bevan Health Board area didnt have a single case for 3 days. Now they have the first area in lockdown and another 2 places that might be in lockdown shortly.

Yes, if there are no cases to find, you wont find any but this virus never went away, it was always there but probably in young people who weren't being affected much, probably thought they had a bad belly or a cold. This rise now isn't because 30 people brought it back from Zante!

The spread again is far more likely down to people not obeying the rules, especially in pubs. When I see a new spike on the news it's usually linked to a drinking establishment, as with that Conservative social club in RCT.

I don't see how it was avoidable? They always expected a second wave, they said it would quite possibly be worse than the first.

There was a piece on BBC breakfast, a woman (missed her name and creds) who said that the rise was a real worry because it's no longer linear, it's exponential. SO dig in, batten down the hatches and don't say you weren't warned. Or just carry on as normally as you can while obeying the rules, which is what I'll be doing.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:25 - Sep 18 with 1538 viewsScotia

I'm sorry but that is complete pie in the sky.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:57 - Sep 18 with 1511 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:25 - Sep 18 by Scotia

I'm sorry but that is complete pie in the sky.

These are the real facts and that is what has happened and led to the spike. You can hide from it as much as you like but those are the facts. Your belief it could be controlled has been proven rubbish. Figures have gone up in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, France and Spain. There hasnt been this kind of spike in New Zealand or Singapore where they havent been leaving people in. Speaks for itself. Singapore has had 27 deaths. Uk somewhere between 40,000 and 70,000 dependent on the figures you accept. Yesterday Singapore had 29 new cases compared to well over 3000 in the UK. We should be learning what they have done so well and we have done so badly.

As far as pubs is concerned the statement used yesterday was the English Health Minister. Is he wrong and you right.
Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:16 - Sep 18 with 1489 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:57 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

These are the real facts and that is what has happened and led to the spike. You can hide from it as much as you like but those are the facts. Your belief it could be controlled has been proven rubbish. Figures have gone up in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, France and Spain. There hasnt been this kind of spike in New Zealand or Singapore where they havent been leaving people in. Speaks for itself. Singapore has had 27 deaths. Uk somewhere between 40,000 and 70,000 dependent on the figures you accept. Yesterday Singapore had 29 new cases compared to well over 3000 in the UK. We should be learning what they have done so well and we have done so badly.

As far as pubs is concerned the statement used yesterday was the English Health Minister. Is he wrong and you right.

Do you seriously think the UK can be compared to New Zealand?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:25 - Sep 18 with 1484 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:16 - Sep 18 by Scotia

Do you seriously think the UK can be compared to New Zealand?

I think you can learn good practice from anywhere and yes can learn good practice from New Zealand and Singapore. Auckland has over 1 million population and Singapore 5 million so of course you can. The fact is countries who locked their borders have had very few cases. Those that havent have had multitudes. You only have to look at the number of places in lockdown. The North West, The North East and large areas of the Midlands are all in lockdown and it is being considered in London. Sage are recommending a national lockdown for 2 weeks in October. Where is the need for National lockdown in the places that closed their borders You have in excess of 10 million in lockdown ie 1/5 of the English population which could soon be closing on 1/3. Hardly a successful policy is it and this is the policy you wanted.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:58 - Sep 18 with 1474 viewsKilkennyjack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:25 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

I think you can learn good practice from anywhere and yes can learn good practice from New Zealand and Singapore. Auckland has over 1 million population and Singapore 5 million so of course you can. The fact is countries who locked their borders have had very few cases. Those that havent have had multitudes. You only have to look at the number of places in lockdown. The North West, The North East and large areas of the Midlands are all in lockdown and it is being considered in London. Sage are recommending a national lockdown for 2 weeks in October. Where is the need for National lockdown in the places that closed their borders You have in excess of 10 million in lockdown ie 1/5 of the English population which could soon be closing on 1/3. Hardly a successful policy is it and this is the policy you wanted.

Johnson could not have done a poorer job if he had tried.

A posh clown in charge at such an important time.

It remains an unmitigated disaster.
The worst in the Western world, bar Trumpy.

Beware of the Risen People

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:49 - Sep 18 with 1457 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:25 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

So do you think the UK could be in the same position as New Zealand?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:02 - Sep 18 with 1453 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:49 - Sep 18 by Scotia

So do you think the UK could be in the same position as New Zealand?

Yes had we acted early enough. Here is another example of the problems your policy has created.

Pub worker in hospital as eight members of staff at Bank Statement in Swansea test positive
A total of eight staff at the Bank Statement, a Wetherspoon pub in Swansea's Wind Street, have tested positive for coronavirus. One is in hospital 'with a condition believed to have been caused by Covid-19'

Enter your postcode for local news and info
Enter your postcode
Eight members of staff at the Bank Statement pub in Swansea, pictured here after a 2017 refurbishment, have tested positive for coronavirus
Eight members of staff at the Bank Statement pub in Swansea, pictured here after a 2017 refurbishment, have tested positive for coronavirus (Image: WalesOnline/Gayle Marsh)
Want the latest news from Swansea sent straight to your inbox?

Enter your email
Don't miss anything from your city! Sign up for regular updates
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Eight members of staff at a Wetherspoon pub in Swansea have tested positive for coronavirus with one currently in hospital, the company has confirmed in a statement.

A total of eight people who worker at the Bank Statement in Wind Street have tested positive with a male member of staff "admitted to hospital with a condition believed to have been caused by Covid-19".

ADVERTISING

Ads by Teads
He was asymptomatic prior to attending hospital on Tuesday, a spokesman for pub giant JD Wetherspoon said.

The first affected member of staff tested positive on September 9 and went into self-isolation but since then a further seven staff members have gone on to receive positive test results.

After the first member of staff tested positive four co-workers were also asked to self-isolate having been in close contact with that colleague. Two of those staff members subsequently tested positive for the virus.

Two additional members of staff, who had not been in close contact with any of the previous cases, then developed symptoms on September 11 and isolated while awaiting their results, which came back as positive on September 14.

This resulted in two further employees being asked to isolate having been in close contact with one of these members of staff.

Find out the number of cases near you by adding your postcode:

JD Wetherspoon were then notified by a sixth member of staff that they had tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday, September 15.

As a precaution, in accordance with public health guidelines, three members of staff were identified as being in close contact with the affected employee and have since been asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Close contact is defined as being within two metres of a person who has tested positive for the virus for 15 minutes or more or within one metre for one minute or more.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:11 - Sep 18 with 1450 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:02 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

Yes had we acted early enough. Here is another example of the problems your policy has created.

Pub worker in hospital as eight members of staff at Bank Statement in Swansea test positive
A total of eight staff at the Bank Statement, a Wetherspoon pub in Swansea's Wind Street, have tested positive for coronavirus. One is in hospital 'with a condition believed to have been caused by Covid-19'

Enter your postcode for local news and info
Enter your postcode
Eight members of staff at the Bank Statement pub in Swansea, pictured here after a 2017 refurbishment, have tested positive for coronavirus
Eight members of staff at the Bank Statement pub in Swansea, pictured here after a 2017 refurbishment, have tested positive for coronavirus (Image: WalesOnline/Gayle Marsh)
Want the latest news from Swansea sent straight to your inbox?

Enter your email
Don't miss anything from your city! Sign up for regular updates
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Eight members of staff at a Wetherspoon pub in Swansea have tested positive for coronavirus with one currently in hospital, the company has confirmed in a statement.

A total of eight people who worker at the Bank Statement in Wind Street have tested positive with a male member of staff "admitted to hospital with a condition believed to have been caused by Covid-19".

ADVERTISING

Ads by Teads
He was asymptomatic prior to attending hospital on Tuesday, a spokesman for pub giant JD Wetherspoon said.

The first affected member of staff tested positive on September 9 and went into self-isolation but since then a further seven staff members have gone on to receive positive test results.

After the first member of staff tested positive four co-workers were also asked to self-isolate having been in close contact with that colleague. Two of those staff members subsequently tested positive for the virus.

Two additional members of staff, who had not been in close contact with any of the previous cases, then developed symptoms on September 11 and isolated while awaiting their results, which came back as positive on September 14.

This resulted in two further employees being asked to isolate having been in close contact with one of these members of staff.

Find out the number of cases near you by adding your postcode:

JD Wetherspoon were then notified by a sixth member of staff that they had tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday, September 15.

As a precaution, in accordance with public health guidelines, three members of staff were identified as being in close contact with the affected employee and have since been asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Close contact is defined as being within two metres of a person who has tested positive for the virus for 15 minutes or more or within one metre for one minute or more.

The first word of that reply is enough without going in to the rest. If you don't understand how out of touch you are with reality you are it is worrying.

Stay in the valley, collect your state pension and let the rest of the UK do what they can to stay safe and maintain a viable economy.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:14 - Sep 18 with 1442 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 02:30 - Sep 18 by DJack

I saw what he was saying I just referenced another of the tweet "authors" he seems to pick up on. But thank you for your contribution... no, really!

It wasn’t the author, it was the stupid dances by so called overworked nurses etc

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:30 - Sep 18 with 1405 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we only had some medicines and treatments that worked against COVID-19.
Oh wait, we do, you just never hear them mentioned.
Never mind.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:45 - Sep 18 with 1398 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:30 - Sep 18 by A_Fans_Dad

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we only had some medicines and treatments that worked against COVID-19.
Oh wait, we do, you just never hear them mentioned.
Never mind.

And some people mention them but then mention something else that says those wonderful medicines don't work after all.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:49 - Sep 18 with 1394 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:45 - Sep 18 by Scotia

And some people mention them but then mention something else that says those wonderful medicines don't work after all.

Here comes the ultracrepidarian assault again!
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:15 - Sep 18 with 1373 viewsbuilthjack

Lockdown will reach most of the Uk very soon. Look around and you can see why.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:35 - Sep 18 with 1362 viewsJack123

Sorry, I don't believe that, when you say the figures had come down from 391 new cases a day to 8, IMO that is purely down to lack of testing.

I saw the figures from RCT and Caerphilly, leading up to their local lockdown, and they were virtually nothing based on a few hundred tests, I believe just before they locked down they tested near on 4,000.

The way I see it, just quick calculations, the positive tests are low for Swansea, but also the tests carried out are about 75% less than what pushed the other areas in Wales to have a local lock down..

Put it this way, if they upped Swansea testing by another 3,000, Swansea would be under local lockdown, or very close to it.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 22:36]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:38 - Sep 18 with 1335 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:35 - Sep 18 by Jack123

Sorry, I don't believe that, when you say the figures had come down from 391 new cases a day to 8, IMO that is purely down to lack of testing.

I saw the figures from RCT and Caerphilly, leading up to their local lockdown, and they were virtually nothing based on a few hundred tests, I believe just before they locked down they tested near on 4,000.

The way I see it, just quick calculations, the positive tests are low for Swansea, but also the tests carried out are about 75% less than what pushed the other areas in Wales to have a local lock down..

Put it this way, if they upped Swansea testing by another 3,000, Swansea would be under local lockdown, or very close to it.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2020 22:36]

Have a look for yourself. Look under daily cases. The graph is there for you to see. The high point was 9 April 391 cases. The low point was 8 August 5 and the difference is that I used the recording date rather than the testing date. There were more tests in August than in April as in April they were just testing hospitals. The actual figures on testing dates show 5 on the 8 August and 8 on the 9th.

https://t.co/zpWRYSUbfh?amp=1
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:53 - Sep 19 with 1316 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:38 - Sep 18 by exhmrc1

Have a look for yourself. Look under daily cases. The graph is there for you to see. The high point was 9 April 391 cases. The low point was 8 August 5 and the difference is that I used the recording date rather than the testing date. There were more tests in August than in April as in April they were just testing hospitals. The actual figures on testing dates show 5 on the 8 August and 8 on the 9th.

https://t.co/zpWRYSUbfh?amp=1

Fair enough, but we are not talking about daily cases rise from April to August, the point I am making, is that by the look of things IF any local authority were to rigorously test the way RCT and Caerphilly have, then we would have all been under this local lock down.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 2:02]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 02:37 - Sep 19 with 1311 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 01:53 - Sep 19 by Jack123

Fair enough, but we are not talking about daily cases rise from April to August, the point I am making, is that by the look of things IF any local authority were to rigorously test the way RCT and Caerphilly have, then we would have all been under this local lock down.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2020 2:02]

No they wouldnt. The reason for the increase in figures isnt due to just testing. It is because the virus is present there in a way it isnt elsewhere. Yesterday there were 1590 tests in Rhondda Cynon Taf with 72 positive cases whilst in Swansea Bay there were 976 tests with 17 positive cases. 3 local authorities against 2 so roughly the same amount of cases and this is on a day where Swansea had over double its normal daily figures. The figures show that 5% of tests were positive in Merthyr Tydfil, 4.8% in RCT, compared to 2.1% in Swansea. The worry is that 2.1% is higher than the usual rate for Swansea so the figures might rise. Powys and Pembrokeshire had 0.3% tests positive yesterday
Is the lock down ending too soon did on 03:04 - Sep 19 with 1304 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 02:37 - Sep 19 by exhmrc1

No they wouldnt. The reason for the increase in figures isnt due to just testing. It is because the virus is present there in a way it isnt elsewhere. Yesterday there were 1590 tests in Rhondda Cynon Taf with 72 positive cases whilst in Swansea Bay there were 976 tests with 17 positive cases. 3 local authorities against 2 so roughly the same amount of cases and this is on a day where Swansea had over double its normal daily figures. The figures show that 5% of tests were positive in Merthyr Tydfil, 4.8% in RCT, compared to 2.1% in Swansea. The worry is that 2.1% is higher than the usual rate for Swansea so the figures might rise. Powys and Pembrokeshire had 0.3% tests positive yesterday

I will have to get back to you, the stats I have seen are nothing in comparison to yours. Although you don't seem to answer one question, the scale of testing, like you say yeaterday there were 1590 tests in rct, irrelevant answer the point is tin get the lock down they conducted a lot more, just a guess, they certainly did in i Caerphilly

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon did on 07:49 - Sep 19 with 1271 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon did on 03:04 - Sep 19 by Jack123

I will have to get back to you, the stats I have seen are nothing in comparison to yours. Although you don't seem to answer one question, the scale of testing, like you say yeaterday there were 1590 tests in rct, irrelevant answer the point is tin get the lock down they conducted a lot more, just a guess, they certainly did in i Caerphilly

obviously they test more, It is common sense. Where you find lots of cases you test more. It is pointless testing loads of people where there arent cases, If for example you have a village where there isnt any cases you can test 100 cases and find none. You could also test 1000 and have the same result. Testing has increased since they have had more capacity but if there is no point just testing for the sake of it. They have increased testing from approx 5000 to 10000 but you would expect the cases to double. Instead they have gone up by 200 times because there is more cases of virus in circulation,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024