Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 140314 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:42 - Sep 11 with 1667 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:12 - Sep 11 by Treforys_Jack

Pubs reopening, schools back , cases rise, who'd have thought.

This is very good at explaining what is actually happening with the virus.

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:52 - Sep 12 with 1602 viewsAndy1300

Time to end this madness and get on with life!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:19 - Sep 12 with 1598 viewsCatullus

The odds are a fair bit lower than that! 7.6 billion divided by over 950,000 covid deaths, you are more than twice as likely to die of Covid.

Still very good odds though! Though the odds are shortening as deaths rise. Still, if you don't want to wear a mask, well it's your life. It will be a legal requirement from Monday though, in shops and enclosed public spaces. If you'd rather pay a £1,920 fine...

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:40 - Sep 12 with 1590 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:19 - Sep 12 by Catullus

The odds are a fair bit lower than that! 7.6 billion divided by over 950,000 covid deaths, you are more than twice as likely to die of Covid.

Still very good odds though! Though the odds are shortening as deaths rise. Still, if you don't want to wear a mask, well it's your life. It will be a legal requirement from Monday though, in shops and enclosed public spaces. If you'd rather pay a £1,920 fine...

When many experts come to the conclusion that the tests can’t be trusted, you have to see there is a problem, here is just one of many

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:59 - Sep 12 with 1579 viewsLeonWasGod

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:19 - Sep 12 by Catullus

It's not just about the person wearing the mask though is it? There's the issue of not being selfish as well. Unless there's a genuine medical exemption, there's no reason why people shouldn't wear masks even if there's a chance it could save one life. It's really not difficult.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 13:46 - Sep 12 with 1561 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:40 - Sep 12 by Andy1300

When many experts come to the conclusion that the tests can’t be trusted, you have to see there is a problem, here is just one of many

No experts there...

So this comes from a report produced by the evidence -based medicine centre in Oxford. They have a concern that the qPCR is picking up positives towards the end of an infection where the virus is no longer transmitted. They argue that the higher end of cycles (past 40 )will pick these up as positive Which is true, but a percentage of these are not infectious.
So I was curious to why 45 cycles were used. It is high (40 is more standard for this sort of assay) but not exceptional. The answer is in the published PHE validation against clinical cases. The assay seems to have a positive range of around 27-42 cycles- called the Ct value. Albeit the majority will be at a Ct around 28-35. But they also grew virus from the same samples, and even at over Ct 40 there were viable virus. On that basis 45 cycles is needed to avoid false negatives. I think you would agree a false negative rate of 5% is far more problematical than a false positive rate which appears to be less than 1%
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:56 - Sep 12 with 1529 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:59 - Sep 12 by LeonWasGod

It's not just about the person wearing the mask though is it? There's the issue of not being selfish as well. Unless there's a genuine medical exemption, there's no reason why people shouldn't wear masks even if there's a chance it could save one life. It's really not difficult.

It's not difficult, wear a mask because it protects other people from you. If we all wear them we are all safer.

I wear a mask, ANDY isn't a fan of them.

Sunday evening I shall be having a good close shave!

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:50 - Sep 12 with 1509 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:56 - Sep 12 by Catullus

It's not difficult, wear a mask because it protects other people from you. If we all wear them we are all safer.

I wear a mask, ANDY isn't a fan of them.

Sunday evening I shall be having a good close shave!

Let's face it, these joking muzzles they are forcing us to wear from Monday do nothing!! Even says on the back of the ones I bought these are not medical masks, considering in the hey day of this, the peak!! Lot's of nhs staff died whilst most prob wearing proper medical n95 masks..

We will all be walking around looking like fcking surgeons for no reason at all..

libera nos a malo

Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:43 - Sep 13 with 1460 viewsAndy1300

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/draconian-restrictions-around-covid-19-co

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:45 - Sep 13 with 1455 viewsAndy1300

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12631416/swedens-coronavirus-herd-immunity-plan-vi

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:47 - Sep 13 with 1450 viewsAndy1300

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:23 - Sep 13 with 1431 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:45 - Sep 13 by Andy1300

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12631416/swedens-coronavirus-herd-immunity-plan-vi

https://www.ft.com/content/5cc92d45-fbdb-43b7-9c66-26501693a371
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:53 - Sep 13 with 1425 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:50 - Sep 12 by Jack123

Let's face it, these joking muzzles they are forcing us to wear from Monday do nothing!! Even says on the back of the ones I bought these are not medical masks, considering in the hey day of this, the peak!! Lot's of nhs staff died whilst most prob wearing proper medical n95 masks..

We will all be walking around looking like fcking surgeons for no reason at all..

I think you are misinformed. Medical staff were getting the virus because they didn't have adequate PPE. They were also up close and personal with the most seriously ill people, in many cases it was the viral load they initially took on that made them so ill. What these masks prevent is any infected person from spreading so much of the disease, it can reduce exhaled virus from getting to other people by as much as 80% ( I think...hey Prof, help me out!) that in turn lowers their chances of getting ill AND, most importantly, if the initial dose is lower it means anybody catching it from a mask wearer is likely to be less severely ill.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:59 - Sep 13 with 1411 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:50 - Sep 12 by Jack123

"Lot's of nhs staff died whilst most prob wearing proper medical n95 masks"
One description describes it "Viral Load", spending 8 to 12 hours a day with very ill patients.
Another word also clarifies it "susceptibility", very many were BAME.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:40 - Sep 13 with 1406 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:53 - Sep 13 by Catullus

I think you are misinformed. Medical staff were getting the virus because they didn't have adequate PPE. They were also up close and personal with the most seriously ill people, in many cases it was the viral load they initially took on that made them so ill. What these masks prevent is any infected person from spreading so much of the disease, it can reduce exhaled virus from getting to other people by as much as 80% ( I think...hey Prof, help me out!) that in turn lowers their chances of getting ill AND, most importantly, if the initial dose is lower it means anybody catching it from a mask wearer is likely to be less severely ill.

Pretty much spot on. Any mask protects the individual to a small degree, but the idea is to prevent transmission which simple masks do pretty well. Masks like FFP3 or labelled N95 protect the individual but as mainly valved actually don’t do much for transmission
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 12:41]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:49 - Sep 13 with 1403 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:59 - Sep 13 by A_Fans_Dad

"Lot's of nhs staff died whilst most prob wearing proper medical n95 masks"
One description describes it "Viral Load", spending 8 to 12 hours a day with very ill patients.
Another word also clarifies it "susceptibility", very many were BAME.

If you think medical and nursing staff were given FFP3 or N95
Masks you are completely deluded.
The shortage of any PPE in the NHS was acute and guidelines did not ask for more than a simple surgical mask. Partly due to ACDPs categorisation of SARS CoV2.
Hospitals in this area basically coped by using donated masks and gloves from the universities. Proper changing of PPE was impossible.

Our PPE (FFP2 and 3 masks, gloves and tyvek coveralls) went to Alder Hey children’s hospital. It got so bad that they had to use basic PPE from schools. Complete failure of government and NHS managers.

Yes lots of BAME NHS and care staff died but as much as they are over represented in these sectors too.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:52 - Sep 13 with 1380 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Please watch this video and provide your thoughts, especially the part around 25 minutes on.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:16 - Sep 13 with 1358 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:52 - Sep 13 by A_Fans_Dad

Please watch this video and provide your thoughts, especially the part around 25 minutes on.

Will look tomorrow as busy with family today- I guess it will involve bats and incursions into habitats. No doubt will mention the Nippah/Hendra
Virus story.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:53 - Sep 13 with 1345 viewsA_Fans_Dad

There has been a lot in the press recently about how well Sweden are doing re COVID-19.
However when you look at the actual statistics those claims don't look quite so good.
First week of September they conducted 120,000 tests with 1300 positive results. Which is 1.08%.
The UK conducted 1,332,658 tests with 9,864 positive results. Which is just over 0.74%.
Sweden get a pat on the back for handling it so well and the UK government panics.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:03 - Sep 13 with 1340 viewsProfessor

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:53 - Sep 13 by A_Fans_Dad

There has been a lot in the press recently about how well Sweden are doing re COVID-19.
However when you look at the actual statistics those claims don't look quite so good.
First week of September they conducted 120,000 tests with 1300 positive results. Which is 1.08%.
The UK conducted 1,332,658 tests with 9,864 positive results. Which is just over 0.74%.
Sweden get a pat on the back for handling it so well and the UK government panics.

This is absolutely correct. Higher per 100,000 deaths than US. Very prolonged initial outbreak and too early to judge if they will get a second rise like the rest of Europe.
Nowhere near herd immunity (even if protective). Comparison to other Nordic countries is telling. 5-10 times more deaths per capita and same effect on the economy.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:41 - Sep 13 with 1314 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:53 - Sep 13 by A_Fans_Dad

Absolutely. Certain sections of the media trying to cherry pick information to progress their own agenda.
Sweden is considerably less densely populated, they have much higher numbers of people living alone and these are factors which should assist in reducing the spread, but Sweden isn’t performing as well as people make out.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:42 - Sep 13 with 1301 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:41 - Sep 13 by majorraglan

Absolutely. Certain sections of the media trying to cherry pick information to progress their own agenda.
Sweden is considerably less densely populated, they have much higher numbers of people living alone and these are factors which should assist in reducing the spread, but Sweden isn’t performing as well as people make out.

It is also a case that the overall figures can some times not give an accurate reflection. The figures for Wales for the last week show 675 new cases. Of those 117 were in Rhondda Cynon Taff, 154 in Caerphilly and 67 in Newport ie 338 approx 1/2 in 3 counties. Clearly there are major problems there. That leaves 337 across the other 19 local authorities.

Whilst that is too high it just shows how small amounts can skew the figures.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:50 - Sep 13 with 1297 viewsJack123

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:53 - Sep 13 by Catullus

Thanks, I most probably was, I'll be honest with you, when this virus first kicked off in March, I was in full panic mode, and then I read objections to it on social media, they may be right, they may be wrong, but it did make me feel a lot better mentally..

I may be kidding myself, but I feel better than I did, going back to March when I was scrubbing my hands so hard, they were just red and swollen for days..

Although it makes me feel better, thinking the way I do, load of bs, carry on as normal!, one thing i don't do is put anyone at risk, as much as I disbelieve some of the stuff, I still socially distance from the elderly.

Absolute rubbish
time to stamp this rubbish oout.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 0:54]

libera nos a malo

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:25 - Sep 14 with 1260 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:50 - Sep 13 by Jack123

Thanks, I most probably was, I'll be honest with you, when this virus first kicked off in March, I was in full panic mode, and then I read objections to it on social media, they may be right, they may be wrong, but it did make me feel a lot better mentally..

I may be kidding myself, but I feel better than I did, going back to March when I was scrubbing my hands so hard, they were just red and swollen for days..

Although it makes me feel better, thinking the way I do, load of bs, carry on as normal!, one thing i don't do is put anyone at risk, as much as I disbelieve some of the stuff, I still socially distance from the elderly.

Absolute rubbish
time to stamp this rubbish oout.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 0:54]

Good post. The last thing to do is panic. Social media has a lot to answer for with all the lies that get spread, lets face it, if a friend posts something we are quite liable to believe it at first sight unless we already know better. When they post something they consider a credible source we see all kinds of nonsense, including rumours that Covid-19 is a myth,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/coronavirus-newport-lewis-barton-c

We know it's not a myth, we lost a friend to it and another friend, a nurse in Morriston, was very ill with it.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:19 - Sep 14 with 1231 viewsAndy1300

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1331999/UK-lockdown-coronavirus-test-leeds-mid

Number 1 team in Wales

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024