Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 141041 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:32 - Aug 30 with 1496 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:31 - Aug 30 by A_Fans_Dad

Lockdown should not be stopping routine appointments or operations.
If doctors and Nurses can be in contact with COVID-19 patients 8-12 hours a day, they should also be able to see normal patients for a 10 minute consultation, or to provide perscriptions etc.

Operations and treatments should be carried out in Hospitals that do not have COVID-19 patients, especially private ones the NHS is paying a fortune to do SFA.
It is not rocket science, just common sense.
But as we know the whole bloody government and the NHS top brass don't have any.

I dont know whether you read my previous post. People are being seen and operations are going on. I about 2 months had a CT scan. It came unexpectedly. I had seen a Consultant last October and he wanted the scan repeated in a year. I went to Morriston Hospital had the scan and the cyst hasnt increased in size so they are reviewing it in 2 years time.

My sister in law has been attending Singleton Hospital for injections into her eye. She went last week for a follow up appointment.

A mate of mine who has serious stomach issues and is fed by tube went in 2 weeks ago into Singleton. The repositioned his feeding peg in Singleton. It required an operation and he is now out. He previously went to Morriston for his pre op.

Things have been going on since at least the beginning of July and possibly earlier.

Many appointment are take place over the telephone. The outpatients area in Morriston has been turned into wards ready for the covid surge. People who need to be seen are now being seen upstairs .
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:45 - Aug 30 with 1474 viewsexhmrc1

The current figures of cases in Hospitals in Wales show Wales for the week ending 23 August had 41 covid patients in hospital of which 1 was in Aneurin Bevan Health Board, 26 in Betsi Cadwalladr, 4 in Cardiff and the Vale, 7 in Cwm Taf, 1 in Hywel Dda and 2 in Powys There werent any in Swansea Bay. It also shows there was 1 person in critical care. There might be others who have had covid and are still in hospital with problems related to it.

However since 23 August there has been a large increase in the number of new cases but these havent worked their way through yet.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:15 - Aug 31 with 1434 viewsAndy1300

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:19 - Aug 31 with 1430 viewsAndy1300

Just read the OP and replies, then tell me you can’t see how absurd the rules are!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:54 - Aug 31 with 1410 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:19 - Aug 31 by Andy1300

Just read the OP and replies, then tell me you can’t see how absurd the rules are!

In shops you usually are able to keep some distance apart and also are next to people for very short periods. In schools and offices you are often closer and spend hours next to people. There is far more likelyhood of catching the virus the closer and longer you are next to someone.

There is clear evidence that the opening of shops did not increase the transmission of the virus. When shops were opened the rates of the virus have continued to drop and in Wales were down to an average of 16 new cases a day. This didnt happen by accident. It was the result of social distancing and good hand hygiene.

Now people are beginning to ignore these rules and riskier areas have been opened up the figures have rocketed. Yesterday there were 56 new cases. At the lowest point on 12 August there were 8 new cases. Similarly the UK figures have rocketed and yesterday there were over 1700 new cases which is the highest figure since early June.

Ignoring good practice is the reason behind the new cases. As can be seen since pubs have reopened the number of new cases have rocketed and this will eventually lead to more deaths.

Hopefully it wont lead to the same numbers as previously as more young and fit people are catching it and less older with medical conditions are catching it. However it will spread from younger people to older people through contact and then the deaths will increase.

A large amount of the deaths were residents of care home and hopefully this will be prevented this time. The evidence clearly shows that deaths increase in the over 50s group and steadily increase in older age brackets.

When you open up borders and people holiday abroad then they bring back the virus and it spreads elsewhere. There is evidence of this on a recent flight from Zante to Cardiff.

The opening of offices is likely to lead to more cases and these will increase amongst the older age groups. Offices have people sitting alongside each other and usually with desks back to back. There isnt the space for social distancing so the virus spreads.

For these reasons precautions will need to be in place for some time to come. Some areas are more risky than others. Some can open whilst others are likely to remain closed but that is going to be a necessity to control the virus as is social distancing and regular hand washing.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:53 - Aug 31 with 1390 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:54 - Aug 31 by exhmrc1

In shops you usually are able to keep some distance apart and also are next to people for very short periods. In schools and offices you are often closer and spend hours next to people. There is far more likelyhood of catching the virus the closer and longer you are next to someone.

There is clear evidence that the opening of shops did not increase the transmission of the virus. When shops were opened the rates of the virus have continued to drop and in Wales were down to an average of 16 new cases a day. This didnt happen by accident. It was the result of social distancing and good hand hygiene.

Now people are beginning to ignore these rules and riskier areas have been opened up the figures have rocketed. Yesterday there were 56 new cases. At the lowest point on 12 August there were 8 new cases. Similarly the UK figures have rocketed and yesterday there were over 1700 new cases which is the highest figure since early June.

Ignoring good practice is the reason behind the new cases. As can be seen since pubs have reopened the number of new cases have rocketed and this will eventually lead to more deaths.

Hopefully it wont lead to the same numbers as previously as more young and fit people are catching it and less older with medical conditions are catching it. However it will spread from younger people to older people through contact and then the deaths will increase.

A large amount of the deaths were residents of care home and hopefully this will be prevented this time. The evidence clearly shows that deaths increase in the over 50s group and steadily increase in older age brackets.

When you open up borders and people holiday abroad then they bring back the virus and it spreads elsewhere. There is evidence of this on a recent flight from Zante to Cardiff.

The opening of offices is likely to lead to more cases and these will increase amongst the older age groups. Offices have people sitting alongside each other and usually with desks back to back. There isnt the space for social distancing so the virus spreads.

For these reasons precautions will need to be in place for some time to come. Some areas are more risky than others. Some can open whilst others are likely to remain closed but that is going to be a necessity to control the virus as is social distancing and regular hand washing.

But you haven’t answered about the absurdity of the rules!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:56 - Aug 31 with 1390 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:54 - Aug 31 by exhmrc1

That TUI flight from Zante, I have previously voiced concerns about flying but some were fairly dismissive of the risks, you won't get us on a plane anytime soon.

Schools are taking precautions. When our son goes back his school is operating a one way system, classes are split between a few days in class and a few days home learning (3+2 then 2+3) so half sized classes and they have been warned to observe distancing and antibac wipes and sprays are to be used regularly, then the kids are staying in one room and teachers are moving I believe. There is still an increased risk from being indoors but it's a risk I think we need to take.

People's behaviour in shops is getting ridiculous though, Asda has arrows down and has no entry signs to encourage people to behave but even staff are ignoring them. If staff don't obey and don't encourage customers to follow the system what hope is there?

Pubs, it's just silly. If people can't behave when they're sober what hopes when they're half cut?

These precautions need to be in place until maybe 6 months after a reliable vaccine is produced, to give us time to get people vaccinated. That could easily mean another 12 months.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:01 - Aug 31 with 1383 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:56 - Aug 31 by Catullus

That TUI flight from Zante, I have previously voiced concerns about flying but some were fairly dismissive of the risks, you won't get us on a plane anytime soon.

Schools are taking precautions. When our son goes back his school is operating a one way system, classes are split between a few days in class and a few days home learning (3+2 then 2+3) so half sized classes and they have been warned to observe distancing and antibac wipes and sprays are to be used regularly, then the kids are staying in one room and teachers are moving I believe. There is still an increased risk from being indoors but it's a risk I think we need to take.

People's behaviour in shops is getting ridiculous though, Asda has arrows down and has no entry signs to encourage people to behave but even staff are ignoring them. If staff don't obey and don't encourage customers to follow the system what hope is there?

Pubs, it's just silly. If people can't behave when they're sober what hopes when they're half cut?

These precautions need to be in place until maybe 6 months after a reliable vaccine is produced, to give us time to get people vaccinated. That could easily mean another 12 months.

So we wait for a vaccine, it didn’t work so well for the flu, what makes you think it will be any better?

Number 1 team in Wales

Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:14 - Aug 31 with 1379 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:56 - Aug 31 by Catullus

Your right about flying and going abroad generally even though some think otherwise. There is also going to be a huge risk when overseas students arrive although from what ive seen overseas students do tend to be quite sensible and use masks.

One of the things I find odd with schools is not using masks in lessons. You are longer in lessons than just fleeting past students in corridors. Using masks in classrooms seems a sensible precaution. You only have to look at the 20+ people infected in the school in Scotland.

Unfortunately people will always ignore rules but in shops you only fleetingly have contact with people and the clear evidence is that even after opening shops the figures were still going down.

From 1 July just after all shops reopened you had 57, 64, 45 and 45. From 10 August we had 12, 13, 8 and 15. The last 4 days have been 35, 34, 40 and 56 and this has been the effect of pubs opening and social distancing rules being ignored.

Opening things like offices and schools are going to add to the problem. A s for spectators in football games that is absolutely stupid and incredibly risky.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:24 - Aug 31 with 1377 viewsGwyn737

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:14 - Aug 31 by exhmrc1

Your right about flying and going abroad generally even though some think otherwise. There is also going to be a huge risk when overseas students arrive although from what ive seen overseas students do tend to be quite sensible and use masks.

One of the things I find odd with schools is not using masks in lessons. You are longer in lessons than just fleeting past students in corridors. Using masks in classrooms seems a sensible precaution. You only have to look at the 20+ people infected in the school in Scotland.

Unfortunately people will always ignore rules but in shops you only fleetingly have contact with people and the clear evidence is that even after opening shops the figures were still going down.

From 1 July just after all shops reopened you had 57, 64, 45 and 45. From 10 August we had 12, 13, 8 and 15. The last 4 days have been 35, 34, 40 and 56 and this has been the effect of pubs opening and social distancing rules being ignored.

Opening things like offices and schools are going to add to the problem. A s for spectators in football games that is absolutely stupid and incredibly risky.

Can’t disagree with that.

Another challenge on the winter horizon is the swell of antivaxers. It looks like there may well be a national schools flu vaccine programme to try and minimise the possible disruption of people not going to school when displaying symptoms that turn out not to be COVID-19 related.

The antivax movement it going nuts at this and I can see the, causing huge problems.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:49 - Aug 31 with 1372 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:01 - Aug 31 by Andy1300

So we wait for a vaccine, it didn’t work so well for the flu, what makes you think it will be any better?

Flu vaccines reduce cases by 40-60% in the overall population, I'd say that works pretty well.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm#:~:text=Recent%20studies

I've been having the flu jab for the last 7 years and I haven't had flu. If a Covid vaccine gives me 40-60% chance of not getting Covid, I'll take it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18327916.coronavirus-maths-expert-reveals-ch

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:03 - Aug 31 with 1359 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:49 - Aug 31 by Catullus

Flu vaccines reduce cases by 40-60% in the overall population, I'd say that works pretty well.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm#:~:text=Recent%20studies

I've been having the flu jab for the last 7 years and I haven't had flu. If a Covid vaccine gives me 40-60% chance of not getting Covid, I'll take it.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18327916.coronavirus-maths-expert-reveals-ch

I have been having flu vaccine for approx 30 years and it has worked for me. It doesnt stop colds but I havent had a severe case of flu since I have been having it nor have others in the family.

I wouldnt have to think twice about having a coronavirus vaccination.

I was very concerned going for my CT scan in Morriston at the beginning of July but the staff there who were in that environment daily seemed less concerned. They weren't wearing masks in corridors only for close up work with patients.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:16 - Aug 31 with 1352 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:49 - Aug 31 by Catullus

I haven't been having the flu vaccine for the last 10 years and I also haven't had the flu, your point is?

The UK flu vaccine for 2107/2018 did not reduce cases by 40-60%, just 15% overall.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-vaccine-effectiveness-in-2017-to-2018-sea

The problem is they have to gamble which strain to target and when they get it wrong it is disastrous, just like VOVID-19 in fact, but without the social distancing a lockdown etc.
About 50,000 died that winter season.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, but when the target is mutating they are far from efficient, despite what the Prof says.
The big problem is the complacency that they induce, medical research stops on what medicines could provide just as good results and even better results when combined.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:38 - Aug 31 with 1318 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Good to see the police handing out several £10,000 fines to people who organise raves and illegal gatherings. Clearly these are going to be the main causes of the virus spreading.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 15:21 - Aug 31 with 1322 viewsexhmrc1

The reasons the figures are rising are people failing to follow social distancing and Johnson's foolish to decision to open up flights

Dr Giri Shankar, Incident Director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said:

“Cardiff and Vale Test Trace Protect and Public Health Wales have identified at least sixteen confirmed cases of COVID-19 from three different parties who were on TUI Flight 6215 from Zante to Cardiff on 25 August. Seven out of the sixteen were infectious at the time of flying. As a result, we are advising that all passengers on this flight are considered close contacts and must self-isolate.

“These passengers will be contacted shortly, but meanwhile, they must self-isolate at home as they may become infectious, even without developing symptoms. Anyone with symptoms should book a test without delay.

“Our investigations into a number of cases of Coronavirus have indicated that a lack of social distancing, in particular by a minority of the 20-30 year age group, has resulted in the spread of the virus to other groups of people.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:20 - Aug 31 with 1299 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:03 - Aug 31 by exhmrc1

I have been having flu vaccine for approx 30 years and it has worked for me. It doesnt stop colds but I havent had a severe case of flu since I have been having it nor have others in the family.

I was very concerned going for my CT scan in Morriston at the beginning of July but the staff there who were in that environment daily seemed less concerned. They weren't wearing masks in corridors only for close up work with patients.

I haven’t been having flu vaccines and I haven’t had the flu!

Just goes to show how weak that argument is!

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:40 - Aug 31 with 1286 viewscontroversial_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:20 - Aug 31 by Andy1300

I haven’t been having flu vaccines and I haven’t had the flu!

Just goes to show how weak that argument is!

I'm not an anti vac person. but If we look back at historical data, the mortality rates for every disease has dropped considerably before vaccinations were developed and have showed no discernible decrease after they were introduced.

Improved living conditions, sanitation, clean water, better diets and medical care have all done far more than vaccinations have, although vaccinations have had the credit

Don't bank on a vaccine, if one is developed having much of an effect on this disease. Common sense and discipline will control this virus not science.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:42 - Aug 31 with 1285 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 14:38 - Aug 31 by felixstowe_jack

Good to see the police handing out several £10,000 fines to people who organise raves and illegal gatherings. Clearly these are going to be the main causes of the virus spreading.

Let’s hope this silly cow gets one too

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:57 - Aug 31 with 1276 viewsNeath_Jack

The main cause? Can you back that up please.

What about pubs, what about flights? What about the never ending amount of protests that are going on?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:16 - Aug 31 with 1262 viewsNotLoyal

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:57 - Aug 31 by Neath_Jack

The main cause? Can you back that up please.

What about pubs, what about flights? What about the never ending amount of protests that are going on?

All the things you mention mate, and more are the problem, I think as well people’s desire just to be normal without a threat in their lives is also a cause, in fact it could well encourage others to try and live like ‘ before’
If there is ever going to be such a thing again.

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:37 - Aug 31 with 1245 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:03 - Aug 31 by exhmrc1

I had a scan in NPT in July and it was the same there. My wife went into Bridgend to have her Gallbladder removed, same there.

I won't think twice about being vaccinated either. If it only improved my chances by 5% I still say every little helps!

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:04 - Aug 31 with 1237 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:37 - Aug 31 by Catullus

I had a scan in NPT in July and it was the same there. My wife went into Bridgend to have her Gallbladder removed, same there.

I won't think twice about being vaccinated either. If it only improved my chances by 5% I still say every little helps!

What I think is quite noticeable is that the staff were not using masks in corridors. When I said to the physiologist about that she said they are only needed for close contact work. That is partly why I cannot understand the UK government's policy of using masks in shops but not offices where you are closer for longer periods.

I hope all goes well with your scan and you get your op soon which I assume will be in Morriston or Singleton.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:20 - Aug 31 with 1233 viewsCatullus

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:16 - Aug 31 by A_Fans_Dad

I haven't been having the flu vaccine for the last 10 years and I also haven't had the flu, your point is?

The UK flu vaccine for 2107/2018 did not reduce cases by 40-60%, just 15% overall.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flu-vaccine-effectiveness-in-2017-to-2018-sea

The problem is they have to gamble which strain to target and when they get it wrong it is disastrous, just like VOVID-19 in fact, but without the social distancing a lockdown etc.

I am not an anti-vaxxer, but when the target is mutating they are far from efficient, despite what the Prof says.
The big problem is the complacency that they induce, medical research stops on what medicines could provide just as good results and even better results when combined.

So for one year the figure was low but even so, if someone said have this and your chances of not being ill improve, you wouldn't take it?

Some years they get the strain wrong, some years they are very good and the caseload is lower again, they average it out to between 40-60.

Of course this year they think flu cases worldwide will be much lower because of Covid and distancing, mask wearing etc. I'll still get vaccinated though.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:49 - Aug 31 with 1210 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:16 - Aug 31 by A_Fans_Dad

I'd take a 15% effective covid vaccine now if it were available. We'd have to keep social distancing and treatment development, but it would be an improvement on the status quo. Especially considering covid is many times more dangerous than flu.

I haven't studied biology since A level, but my understanding is that influenza vius mutates quickly and significantly, so the vaccine needs to be a bit of a guess based on flu strains elsewhere in the world. Nevertheless it is clearly a benefit. My daughter and wife have had it each year, and if available I'll be getting it this year to help prevent me spread it to my parents.

Coranvirus don't mutate as quickly. The virus that causes covid 19 has mutated slightly but not to a degree that the vaccines currently being developed will necessarily be ineffective. As I understand the Oxford vaccine targets the covid 19 protein spike which hasn't changed since the virus was identified.

I don't get anti vaxers, they are the epitome of natural selection. If they weren't so dangerous and deluded in the current circumstances I'd be happy to let them crack on.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:17 - Aug 31 with 1192 viewsScotia

I hardly think an outdoor illegal rave in Banwen, and the like, is going to cause more of a problem than Boris encouraging people back to the office over the winter when they can work perfectly well at home.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024