Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the lock down ending too soon? 04:59 - Jul 1 with 141038 viewsGlyn1

That's basically it.

Thoughts please.
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 5:00]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:34 - Aug 29 with 1465 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 22:48 - Aug 28 by exhmrc1

If the cases carry on going up we will soon be back to where we were. We need to get the numbers low. They have already changed the rules in England to try to reduce the number of deaths showed. If you get loads of cases in a couple of weeks you get more deaths. What is going to end up happening is people end up in hospital and a percentage of those go into intensive care and sadly pass away.

Wales had its first day with no deaths on 6 July. Since then there has been 27 days with no deaths but sadly on other days there have been and still will be deaths. There has been 35 this month and nearly all have been in North Wales which has seen the bulk of new cases.

Now that the cases are increasing in South Wales we will no doubt in a couple of weeks time start seeing more people pass away here as well.

35 is the amount of deaths in Wales alone. It is far higher in England. Even Scotland which didnt have any deaths for a while had some recently as cases there have increased.

You just cannot ignore the face that this virus is here for some time and ignoring it as you wish to will simply increase the numbers and deaths.

Why do you keep saying they have changed the rules in England to reduce death figures? You know that is not the case.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:39 - Aug 29 with 1458 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 23:59 - Aug 28 by Jack123

Funnily enough I agree with you and also Andy, there is caution on my part! But i think Andy has a point, look at France for example today 7,379 new cases and 20 deaths, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

IMO these new cases increasing, in comparison to the death rate can only mean a couple of things.

A: the virus is less virulent

B: the tests are meaningless

The reason for the fewer deaths is that the people who are getting it tend to be younger
with less illnesses than previously when the people catching it were older and hence less able to cope.

However if you open up things like offices younger people will be working with older people with illnesses. Youngsters might well be working in places like Care Homes or Hospitals and it will spread to the infirm for that reason and then the virus will start killing people again.

As far as increased testing being the reason for the increased cases that isnt the case. Take Swansea Bay as an example. The peak came in April with over 70 new cases in a day. That was when very little testing took place. Yesterday with far more tests there were 3 new cases. There hasnt been a huge jump in the amount of testing in Wales over the last 2 weeks but the numbers have approximately doubled. What has happened over the last couple of months is that testing has been focused in areas where there have been cases including food plants, care homes and hospitals.

According to the experts their belief is that the increase in Cardiff is in 20-30 year olds and is down to a lack of social distancing in St Marys Street pubs and the cases in Merthyr Tydfil and surrounds is because of a failure of social distancing in the 20-30 year olds there. It was brought back from people who travelled overseas.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:47 - Aug 29 with 1449 viewsbuilthjack

Cases are rising in Europe, Spain, Italy , France etc. Shooting up.
Yet Johnson and his idiots choose to ignore this.
Wave 2 on the way.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:40 - Aug 29 with 1435 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:34 - Aug 29 by Scotia

Why do you keep saying they have changed the rules in England to reduce death figures? You know that is not the case.

They did change the rules. It was done for a purpose as the English figures were so high. Fact. Stop trying to pretend it didnt happen to suit your political agenda. Over the last couple of weeks only deaths in hospitals are being shown. Previously all deaths were shown.

"Previously in England, all deaths after a positive test were included."
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 8:58]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:02 - Aug 29 with 1402 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 08:40 - Aug 29 by exhmrc1

They did change the rules. It was done for a purpose as the English figures were so high. Fact. Stop trying to pretend it didnt happen to suit your political agenda. Over the last couple of weeks only deaths in hospitals are being shown. Previously all deaths were shown.

"Previously in England, all deaths after a positive test were included."
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 8:58]

England has changed the way they count to be consistent with Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. We've all been counting deaths that way since the outbreak began. England were including anyone who had ever tested positive. Fact.

You just don't like the English and its pathetic.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:30 - Aug 29 with 1399 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:02 - Aug 29 by Scotia

England has changed the way they count to be consistent with Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. We've all been counting deaths that way since the outbreak began. England were including anyone who had ever tested positive. Fact.

I have absolutely nothing against the English. In fact, one of my best mates was English. What I dislike is the way the Johnson government moves the goalposts so that comparisons cannot be made so they dont look as bad as they are. For 3 months you use one way of recording then suddenly get rid of 5000 deaths and the figures look better but you are happy with that as it suits your Tory belief's. Similarly up to last week there were figures shown for death's in hospital and total deaths which were several times higher. This higher figure has been removed. I wonder why. PHE has been got rid of because people like Chris Whitty are advising Johnson not to unlock so soon. He wants to do so and ignores the medical advice so gets rid of that body.

It is a fact that new cases have been going up in England for several weeks largely due to following the policies you have advocated ie opening pubs and borders. There has been increases in Plymouth and Merthyr Tydfil attributed to people coming back from overseas with infections. The figures have doubled and and the same is beginning to happen here in Wales but then you will blame Drakeford as you always have but what he has done is followed the policies that YOU have been advocating and the result is there for everyone to see and will get far worse. Even with local lockdowns figures have been increasing in England and double the amounts is under control in your eyes.

Look at what Sage is saying

There could be as many as 85,000 deaths from the coronavirus in the UK this winter, a leaked SAGE report says.

The document, compiled by the government's scientific advisory committee, outlined what it described as a "reasonable worst-case scenario".

It said there could be 81,000 coronavirus deaths in England and Wales, 2,600 in Scotland and 1,900 in Northern Ireland.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 11:36]
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:18 - Aug 29 with 1357 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:02 - Aug 29 by Scotia

Well said but it does not fit the wales are doing better than england narrative.

Wales 550 cases per 100,000
England 500 cases per 100,000
Despite longer and draconian lockdown in Wales their infection rate is still higher.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 16:00 - Aug 29 with 1342 viewsCatullus

The official figures say the number of cases are increasing but the number of deaths is reducing.
The theory is that
1, the number of infected people was always much higher than we knew and the tests are just proving that.
2, the number of young people that have the virus is high but they aren't dying like the elderly and infirm did.
3, the NHS/medical experts are dealing with the virus much better because we know so much more about it.
4, social distancing is reducing the number of elderly and infirm who are catching it.

They still expect there to be trouble this winter, especialy if vulnerable people don't get their flu jabs (if you get the flu and this virus it's probably goodnight Gracie) but even saying that they are expecting fewer flu cases this winter because of...social distancing and peope self isolating.
I don't really agree with the pubs opening unless they strictly obey the rules, they should face being closed down permnanently if they don't. Schools have to open though.

Are we entering a time when new commercial building are designed in such a way so as to make distancing easy, maybe even the norm. Imagine a Tesco or Asda where you go inone door, follow a proper one way system through until the tills then you have to leave by a different door. IF you forget something on your list it's tough luck! Is that time coming? Are we going to see office space designed so people sit 2 metres apart or with desks that have perspex screens permananently attached?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:59 - Aug 29 with 1325 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:30 - Aug 29 by exhmrc1

I have absolutely nothing against the English. In fact, one of my best mates was English. What I dislike is the way the Johnson government moves the goalposts so that comparisons cannot be made so they dont look as bad as they are. For 3 months you use one way of recording then suddenly get rid of 5000 deaths and the figures look better but you are happy with that as it suits your Tory belief's. Similarly up to last week there were figures shown for death's in hospital and total deaths which were several times higher. This higher figure has been removed. I wonder why. PHE has been got rid of because people like Chris Whitty are advising Johnson not to unlock so soon. He wants to do so and ignores the medical advice so gets rid of that body.

It is a fact that new cases have been going up in England for several weeks largely due to following the policies you have advocated ie opening pubs and borders. There has been increases in Plymouth and Merthyr Tydfil attributed to people coming back from overseas with infections. The figures have doubled and and the same is beginning to happen here in Wales but then you will blame Drakeford as you always have but what he has done is followed the policies that YOU have been advocating and the result is there for everyone to see and will get far worse. Even with local lockdowns figures have been increasing in England and double the amounts is under control in your eyes.

Look at what Sage is saying

There could be as many as 85,000 deaths from the coronavirus in the UK this winter, a leaked SAGE report says.

The document, compiled by the government's scientific advisory committee, outlined what it described as a "reasonable worst-case scenario".

It said there could be 81,000 coronavirus deaths in England and Wales, 2,600 in Scotland and 1,900 in Northern Ireland.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2020 11:36]

I have never voted tory in my life, I would never vote for Johnson. I would never vote for Drakeford either.

Are you seriously advocating that we should stay in lock down?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:13 - Aug 29 with 1313 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 17:59 - Aug 29 by Scotia

I have never voted tory in my life, I would never vote for Johnson. I would never vote for Drakeford either.

Are you seriously advocating that we should stay in lock down?

No but when we find there are things that are likely to cause hikes then I wouldnt open them or close them. I certainly would not have opened borders and had the stupid air bridges scheme where the situation changes day by day with people going abroad not knowing what they will come back to. Then again I would have closed our borders earlier and got people coming in to quarantine before Johnson did. If I found something that is leading to increasing figures then I would have closed them. It certainly appears to be the case from PHW and press reports that opening pubs in Cardiff has been the cause. If that is the case then yes I would close pubs there. Johnson was too slow to act initially and opening up more as the figures increase is the wrong thing to do.

I initially thought he might be seeing sense when he put off further openings on 1 August only to see him then carry out the policy as the cases increase which makes no sense whatsoever. This report highlights the problem and again just mentions deaths in hospitals and not elsewhere.

Covid infections have continued rising at an alarming rate with 1,108 people testing positive in the last 24 hours - as the UK recorded 12 more deaths to bring the tally up to 41,498.

The nation's total number of cases has risen to 332,752 as data shows there are now an average of 1,173 new cases each day - a figure which has surged from 992 last Friday, when 1,033 infections were recorded.

More than 1,000 positive tests have been confirmed on 16 days this month, after a clear run of no four-figure days throughout June and July.

Six people who tested positive for coronavirus have died in hospital in England, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 29,547, NHS England said today.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:22 - Aug 29 with 1295 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:13 - Aug 29 by exhmrc1

No but when we find there are things that are likely to cause hikes then I wouldnt open them or close them. I certainly would not have opened borders and had the stupid air bridges scheme where the situation changes day by day with people going abroad not knowing what they will come back to. Then again I would have closed our borders earlier and got people coming in to quarantine before Johnson did. If I found something that is leading to increasing figures then I would have closed them. It certainly appears to be the case from PHW and press reports that opening pubs in Cardiff has been the cause. If that is the case then yes I would close pubs there. Johnson was too slow to act initially and opening up more as the figures increase is the wrong thing to do.

I initially thought he might be seeing sense when he put off further openings on 1 August only to see him then carry out the policy as the cases increase which makes no sense whatsoever. This report highlights the problem and again just mentions deaths in hospitals and not elsewhere.

Covid infections have continued rising at an alarming rate with 1,108 people testing positive in the last 24 hours - as the UK recorded 12 more deaths to bring the tally up to 41,498.

The nation's total number of cases has risen to 332,752 as data shows there are now an average of 1,173 new cases each day - a figure which has surged from 992 last Friday, when 1,033 infections were recorded.

More than 1,000 positive tests have been confirmed on 16 days this month, after a clear run of no four-figure days throughout June and July.

Six people who tested positive for coronavirus have died in hospital in England, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 29,547, NHS England said today.

So we shouldn't allow people in to the country from other countries that have a lower rate of infection than the UK?

Do you realise how much tourism brings contributes to the economy?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:52 - Aug 29 with 1287 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:22 - Aug 29 by Scotia

So we shouldn't allow people in to the country from other countries that have a lower rate of infection than the UK?

Do you realise how much tourism brings contributes to the economy?

Saving lives comes before everything
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:45 - Aug 29 with 1271 viewsLeonWasGod

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:52 - Aug 29 by exhmrc1

Not for some it doesn’t, oddly. There’s a popular view now that it’s virus versus economy. I’ve no idea where that viewpoint started, but it’s a load of bollox. The virus and the economy (and life in general) go hand in hand. Countries that dealt with the virus are getting back to normal, whilst we screwed up our response and will be paying the cost in health and wealth for a while yet.

I don’t know what the answer is. I’d be tempted for one big push to try and eradicate it, using all the tools we have (lockdowns/quarantine at borders, curfews if necessary, etc.). It’s far too late really and I don’t know whether it would be successful at such a late stage but it’s worth a shot and couldn’t be worse than the drawn out half-arsed approach we’re taking.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:33 - Aug 30 with 1243 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 20:52 - Aug 29 by exhmrc1

Yes it does, and not just pensioners. Which is precisely why we need to move on.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:41 - Aug 30 with 1238 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 21:45 - Aug 29 by LeonWasGod

Not for some it doesn’t, oddly. There’s a popular view now that it’s virus versus economy. I’ve no idea where that viewpoint started, but it’s a load of bollox. The virus and the economy (and life in general) go hand in hand. Countries that dealt with the virus are getting back to normal, whilst we screwed up our response and will be paying the cost in health and wealth for a while yet.

I don’t know what the answer is. I’d be tempted for one big push to try and eradicate it, using all the tools we have (lockdowns/quarantine at borders, curfews if necessary, etc.). It’s far too late really and I don’t know whether it would be successful at such a late stage but it’s worth a shot and couldn’t be worse than the drawn out half-arsed approach we’re taking.

It is important to strike a balance.

But if a developed country the size of the UK, but with just 8% of the population and 2000 miles from its nearest neighbour can't eradicate the virus then neither can the UK. We have to move on.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:52 - Aug 30 with 1218 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 07:41 - Aug 30 by Scotia

It is important to strike a balance.

But if a developed country the size of the UK, but with just 8% of the population and 2000 miles from its nearest neighbour can't eradicate the virus then neither can the UK. We have to move on.

What we shouldnt be doing is making the problem worse which is what is happening. The evidence clearly shows that the virus has more than doubled. As it says Control The Virus and taking actions which have caused it to double and will increase it further isnt controlling the virus.

We dont yet know the effect opening schools will have and even more so opening universities where students are travelling from all around to come here.

We have already seen people returning from abroad and adding to the problems in places like Plymouth and Merthyr Tydfil.

Yesterday it was shown that places where the virus had previously been low had recently well over the Welsh average and these are not vast cities and have low ethnicity. Places like Exeter, Plymouth, Torbay, Bath and North Somerset are showing increasing rates in the South West and places like South Gloucestershire, Cheshire East, Cheshire West and the Wirral similarly just off the Welsh Border
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:17 - Aug 30 with 1211 viewsScotia

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 09:52 - Aug 30 by exhmrc1

What we shouldnt be doing is making the problem worse which is what is happening. The evidence clearly shows that the virus has more than doubled. As it says Control The Virus and taking actions which have caused it to double and will increase it further isnt controlling the virus.

We dont yet know the effect opening schools will have and even more so opening universities where students are travelling from all around to come here.

We have already seen people returning from abroad and adding to the problems in places like Plymouth and Merthyr Tydfil.

Yesterday it was shown that places where the virus had previously been low had recently well over the Welsh average and these are not vast cities and have low ethnicity. Places like Exeter, Plymouth, Torbay, Bath and North Somerset are showing increasing rates in the South West and places like South Gloucestershire, Cheshire East, Cheshire West and the Wirral similarly just off the Welsh Border

I'm sorry but a lot of that is just wrong.

Of course infections will increase because we are out of lock down, but it is not out of control. Certainly not in Wales or England.

I can tell you now what will happen when schools and universities resume, we will see another increase. That is as unavoidable in Swansea as it is in Newcastle.

What do you suggest as an alternative? We halt education, business and travel until next spring?
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:48 - Aug 30 with 1209 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 10:17 - Aug 30 by Scotia

I'm sorry but a lot of that is just wrong.

Of course infections will increase because we are out of lock down, but it is not out of control. Certainly not in Wales or England.

I can tell you now what will happen when schools and universities resume, we will see another increase. That is as unavoidable in Swansea as it is in Newcastle.

What do you suggest as an alternative? We halt education, business and travel until next spring?

Which part is wrong. Here are the figures per the BBC

Exeter
7 cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 18 Aug-24 Aug. The average area in England had 7.
cases in the latest week 18 Aug-24 Aug
+7
compared with the previous week

Bath and North East Somerset
17 cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 18 Aug-24 Aug. The average area in England had 7.
+21

Cardiff is the only Welsh Area above those 2 and that is being put down by the experts to the ignoring of social distancing on St Mary's Street.

Cardiff
19 cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 18 Aug-24 Aug. The average area in Wales had 3.
+45
compared with the previous week.

As can be seen the average area in Wales had 3. The average area in England had 7 over double the Welsh rate. Exeter had over double the average Welsh rate and Bath and North East Somerset over 5 times the Welsh rate. Areas with small towns and cities and very low ethnicity rates. Torbay has 10 cases per 100000 residents, Plymouth 8,South Gloucestershire 12, Cheshire East 8, Cheshire West and Chester 9, Wirral 13, Mid Devon 12, Portsmouth 7.

We dont know what will happen with schools and universities but like you I suspect they will increase the rates. Doubling the rates before they reopen doesnt show the virus is under control yet Johnson wants to open offices as well which will also increase the rate and wants 1000s back in football which will also increase the figures. We could be back in full lockdown soon. It is totally irresponsible. Talking about controlling the virus and acting otherwise.

It is also noticeable that when New Zealand closed their borders and locked down they had several weeks with no new cases. As soon as they opened up their borders cases came back with visitors from the UK bringing the virus in.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:04 - Aug 30 with 1206 viewsCatullus

Confirmed cases have increased yet the death rate is reducing. Saving lives is the most important thing but we also have to accept that if the economy stays in lockdown that too will start costing lives.

The lockdown has been shown to have increased mental health problems and suicide numbers have risen. Not doing routine surgery is having an impact on (already ill) peoples lives and making their health worse will causes more issues in the future. We know cancer ptients have died or been told they are now terminal because during full lockdown routine appointments and some treatments stopped.

If, as several experts appear to be saying, this virus is with us long term and there is a possibility it returns every year, like the flu, then we have to accept a certain amount of risk and move on. We can still use caution and common sense, we can still use distancing, mask wearing, wash our hands more often and use santiser when out and about, people can still isolate if showing symptoms, people can still work from home.
However, if we stay in lockdown until a reliable vaccine is developed, tested and rolled out (bearing in mind that could still take 12 months or more) the economy, not just the UK either but the world economy could collapse.
People thought brexit was practicaly the end of the world but if we don't get as much of the economy back up and running as is safe and sensible the effects could be much worse than brexit could ever have been.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:06 - Aug 30 with 1199 viewsexhmrc1

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:04 - Aug 30 by Catullus

Confirmed cases have increased yet the death rate is reducing. Saving lives is the most important thing but we also have to accept that if the economy stays in lockdown that too will start costing lives.

The lockdown has been shown to have increased mental health problems and suicide numbers have risen. Not doing routine surgery is having an impact on (already ill) peoples lives and making their health worse will causes more issues in the future. We know cancer ptients have died or been told they are now terminal because during full lockdown routine appointments and some treatments stopped.

If, as several experts appear to be saying, this virus is with us long term and there is a possibility it returns every year, like the flu, then we have to accept a certain amount of risk and move on. We can still use caution and common sense, we can still use distancing, mask wearing, wash our hands more often and use santiser when out and about, people can still isolate if showing symptoms, people can still work from home.
However, if we stay in lockdown until a reliable vaccine is developed, tested and rolled out (bearing in mind that could still take 12 months or more) the economy, not just the UK either but the world economy could collapse.
People thought brexit was practicaly the end of the world but if we don't get as much of the economy back up and running as is safe and sensible the effects could be much worse than brexit could ever have been.

There are some things that are sensible and others that are not. Some things have proved safe to open whilst others have not.

For example in Wales whilst we had shops open and pubs open outdoors the virus still went down and that was without people wearing masks. Since pubs have opened indoors some places in Wales eg Cardiff have seen large increases in cases. The experts believe it is due to lack of social distancing on St Mary's Street. If that is indeed the cause then they need to be closed. Hopefully when they reopen it will be done responsibility with social distancing. People sitting together and sharing cues shouldnt be happening in the current climate.

I suspect there is a difference between pubs where families go out to eat and those where irresponsibility is happening and action needs to be taken to ensure proper safety rules are follows in those places.

It is noticeable when I go to Swansea there is a vast difference in social distancing between cafes outdoors. Places like Coffee number 1 have tables outside spaced well apart. The Kardomah as an example has tables very close together. The same is true of cafes in Morriston.

The reopening of schools in necessary but needs to be done with cases as low as possible. This is not happening now. A couple of weeks ago the average number of new cases was about 16 a day in Wales. The last week it is double that and the experts put it down to a lack of social distancing in Cardiff which has over a third of the Welsh new cases recently. Also some of it is down to people going abroad and returning having picked up the virus abroad. The reasons for the increases need to be looked at and necessary action taken.

As far as the death rate is concerned this is largely due to the fact younger people are catching it and there isnt the numbers from Nursing Homes catching it so less elderly and ill patients are dying. Also with 16 cases per day catching it rather than the 391 in April it isnt surprising deaths have decreased. The increased figures catching it over the last 2 weeks will eventually lead to more deaths occurring. Also the UK figures being released are only showing deaths in hospital. They used to show deaths from all environments and were several times large than the hospital deaths. A subtle change unannounced but one to make the figures look better.

The problem when schools reopen is that pupils will often to grand parents after school. This will usually be older and more prone to coronavirus and this might increase the death rates.

As far as the NHS is concerned I really dont accept your argument. In late June I had a letter out of the blue asking me to go for a CT scan in Morriston. This had come from an appointment I had last September. A friend of mine went in a fortnight ago to have his peg replaced and re positioned. He had been waiting for this since before lockdown so procedures are taking place in Morriston and Singleton. One of the issues with cancer treatments is that things like chemotherapy can make you more susceptible to pick up illnesses and maybe that is the reason they are so wary. My sister is currently on chemotherapy drugs and goes to Morriston often for blood tests.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:31 - Aug 30 with 1176 viewsexhmrc1

Yet more evidence of things being out of control today

Another 1,715 people have tested positive for coronavirus today in the biggest daily rise in 12 weeks.

The last time Britain's daily case load was this high was on June 4, when 1,805 people were diagnosed in just 24 hours.

Today's disturbing increase brings the country's total cases to 334,467.

Also Wales is showing an increased amount of 56 which is the highest since 2 July. Time now to act on places causing this hike before we end up back where we were.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:53 - Aug 30 with 1168 viewsAndy1300

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:31 - Aug 30 by exhmrc1

Yet more evidence of things being out of control today

Another 1,715 people have tested positive for coronavirus today in the biggest daily rise in 12 weeks.

The last time Britain's daily case load was this high was on June 4, when 1,805 people were diagnosed in just 24 hours.

Today's disturbing increase brings the country's total cases to 334,467.

Also Wales is showing an increased amount of 56 which is the highest since 2 July. Time now to act on places causing this hike before we end up back where we were.

Cases mean nothing at the moment because they are target testing in select areas.

Check how many deaths we were having when we had that number of cases.

I bet it’s a hell of a lot more

Number 1 team in Wales

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:26 - Aug 30 with 1148 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 18:53 - Aug 30 by Andy1300

Cases mean nothing at the moment because they are target testing in select areas.

Check how many deaths we were having when we had that number of cases.

I bet it’s a hell of a lot more

The most important statistic which they do no not freely give out, but you can find it here is how many of those tested are actually ill.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

So 1715 positive 109 hospitalised, ie Ill about 6%.
Unfortunately the Graph is not interactive, so you cannot see past actual numbers.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:27 - Aug 30 with 1147 viewsmajorraglan

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 12:06 - Aug 30 by exhmrc1

There are some things that are sensible and others that are not. Some things have proved safe to open whilst others have not.

For example in Wales whilst we had shops open and pubs open outdoors the virus still went down and that was without people wearing masks. Since pubs have opened indoors some places in Wales eg Cardiff have seen large increases in cases. The experts believe it is due to lack of social distancing on St Mary's Street. If that is indeed the cause then they need to be closed. Hopefully when they reopen it will be done responsibility with social distancing. People sitting together and sharing cues shouldnt be happening in the current climate.

I suspect there is a difference between pubs where families go out to eat and those where irresponsibility is happening and action needs to be taken to ensure proper safety rules are follows in those places.

It is noticeable when I go to Swansea there is a vast difference in social distancing between cafes outdoors. Places like Coffee number 1 have tables outside spaced well apart. The Kardomah as an example has tables very close together. The same is true of cafes in Morriston.

The reopening of schools in necessary but needs to be done with cases as low as possible. This is not happening now. A couple of weeks ago the average number of new cases was about 16 a day in Wales. The last week it is double that and the experts put it down to a lack of social distancing in Cardiff which has over a third of the Welsh new cases recently. Also some of it is down to people going abroad and returning having picked up the virus abroad. The reasons for the increases need to be looked at and necessary action taken.

As far as the death rate is concerned this is largely due to the fact younger people are catching it and there isnt the numbers from Nursing Homes catching it so less elderly and ill patients are dying. Also with 16 cases per day catching it rather than the 391 in April it isnt surprising deaths have decreased. The increased figures catching it over the last 2 weeks will eventually lead to more deaths occurring. Also the UK figures being released are only showing deaths in hospital. They used to show deaths from all environments and were several times large than the hospital deaths. A subtle change unannounced but one to make the figures look better.

The problem when schools reopen is that pupils will often to grand parents after school. This will usually be older and more prone to coronavirus and this might increase the death rates.

As far as the NHS is concerned I really dont accept your argument. In late June I had a letter out of the blue asking me to go for a CT scan in Morriston. This had come from an appointment I had last September. A friend of mine went in a fortnight ago to have his peg replaced and re positioned. He had been waiting for this since before lockdown so procedures are taking place in Morriston and Singleton. One of the issues with cancer treatments is that things like chemotherapy can make you more susceptible to pick up illnesses and maybe that is the reason they are so wary. My sister is currently on chemotherapy drugs and goes to Morriston often for blood tests.

Hywel Dda health board are doing drive through antibody tests at the show ground in Carmarthen, they are also doing drive through blood tests for high risk patients in a different area of the same site.
Is the lock down ending too soon? on 19:31 - Aug 30 with 1147 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Is the lock down ending too soon? on 11:04 - Aug 30 by Catullus

Lockdown should not be stopping routine appointments or operations.
If doctors and Nurses can be in contact with COVID-19 patients 8-12 hours a day, they should also be able to see normal patients for a 10 minute consultation, or to provide perscriptions etc.

Operations and treatments should be carried out in Hospitals that do not have COVID-19 patients, especially private ones the NHS is paying a fortune to do SFA.
It is not rocket science, just common sense.
But as we know the whole bloody government and the NHS top brass don't have any.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024