Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Terry goes on trial this Monday 02:39 - Jul 8 with 52640 viewsDylanP

Terry's trial to start on Monday. Yet another thing to look forward to, Sadly, apparently the maximum he can get is a small fine. However, the humiliation will be a laugh.

Football fans found guilty of racism can be banned from going to football grounds for a while. Wouldn't it be funny if Terry received a football ground ban!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2170238/John-Terry-trial-Anton

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:22 - Jul 12 with 1541 viewsTGRRRSSS

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 15:47 - Jul 12 by 18StoneOfHoop

MarkPerryMason,I dimly remember you being almost bang on the money in your Pre-Faurlin Decision Prediction ..can you remind us what you said then? -thus establishing good credibility for your opinions about this one.Also what's your role in the legal biz again?

Even if he's let off without a stain on his character to go in peace and continue to 'honourably' serve both club and country by the presiding magistrate what I'm really looking forward to is the Saturday newspapers.
Sanctimonious moralists,leader writers and columnists from both left and right will be queuing round the block,champing at the bit to give JT the mother of all metaphorical shoeings.
Our old mate Rod Liddle,David Aaronovitch,Matthew Parrish,Kevin Maguire,Simon Jenkins,Peter Oborne,Max Hastings,Daniel Finkelstein,Melanie Phillips,Andrew Rawnsley,Amanda Platell,Peter Hitchens,Trevor Phillips,Simon Heffer,Zoe Williams,Janet Daley,Trevor Kavanagh,Yasmine Alibhaiah-Brown...all these and many more and I haven't even mentioned footie hacks - will be itching for their sixpennyworth.I can imagine a nice double-page spread in The Independent for example with a photo 'Is This The Most Hated Man In Britain?'
...which would be nice.

Oooh I just thought..Newsnight and Paxo grilling Bruce Buck on the Friday night at 10:30 about CFC's casual laissez-faire attitude to their Club Captain's racism might also be fun...can't wait.

You forgot Sharmi Chakribarti
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:28 - Jul 12 with 1520 viewsBasingstokeR

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:19 - Jul 12 by Juzzie

I think you'll find it's the pot calling the kettle 'bridge'

Pot calling the kettle bridge LOL!!!
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:40 - Jul 12 with 1486 viewsTW_R

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 15:42 - Jul 12 by Speediesdouble

I take it you're struggling with the whole incident and have got yourself completely hung up on the use of the word "black"

Ferdinands behaviour, swearing, gestures and slanderous remarks (which he conviniently forgot to mention) led to the whole situation.

Are you saying players can insult and make any gestures they want and that's ok as long as they don't mention a colour ?

Am I completely missing something. What "slanderous remarks" are you referring to? If it's the Bridge thing then hasn't that been well documented to be fact? Surely if it was so slanderous Terry would have been suing all and sundry, including Bridge?
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:43 - Jul 12 with 1479 viewsTGRRRSSS

Coreect, you can always tell when somebody is sued for slander as opposed to being threatened with it, one means your confident of a win, the other means you don't want even more dirty laundry aired, I wonder which side applies to Captain, Leader, Legend?????
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:48 - Jul 12 with 1466 viewsKonk

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:40 - Jul 12 by TW_R

Am I completely missing something. What "slanderous remarks" are you referring to? If it's the Bridge thing then hasn't that been well documented to be fact? Surely if it was so slanderous Terry would have been suing all and sundry, including Bridge?

Rather than settling with the woman in question to stop her going to the papers. But, no, you're right, it probably never happened. What a cu nt.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:49 - Jul 12 with 1460 views18StoneOfHoop

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:22 - Jul 12 by TGRRRSSS

I would love Shami Chakrabarti to be Prime-Minister..she's just so intelligent,passionate,calm,eloquent and correct about just about everything and from reading the odd political thread on here I'm 100% sure that my fellow compassionate,tolerant,tree-hugging,PC loving,liberal,pro multicultural LFW comrades such as Clive_Anderson,Spaghetti,Blob and Hayesender - to name but a few posters off the top of my head - feel the same way.

Here's a little something for Blobbie to perve on. Total babe.. schwing!

Speediesdouble
------------------

Ultimately,as Metallica correctly pointed out,the mask's veneer cracked and he threw away all his previous reasonably coherently argued,if mistaken,positions and quickly took a good old LFW feeding frenzy battering as it became palpably clear for all to see that he'd thrown it all away & after being cool & contained for so long,his last post finally contains some rather weak pathetic,personal abuse - ooh he called us girls,how dare he? (and I can't think who he's referring to as living in the fluffy clouds of la la land?) - finally creeps in before he flounces off for the day.
Really rather enjoyable.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:51 - Jul 12 with 1451 viewsBlackCrowe

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:48 - Jul 12 by Konk

Rather than settling with the woman in question to stop her going to the papers. But, no, you're right, it probably never happened. What a cu nt.

Hey Konk - thought on the Roddellega (sp) signing?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:59 - Jul 12 with 1428 viewsKonk

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:51 - Jul 12 by BlackCrowe

Hey Konk - thought on the Roddellega (sp) signing?

Wait and see. Looked good against us and elsewhere until last year, where he appeared to do coc k-all. Not sure of his circumstances, though; injured, pi ssed-off or just cr ap? We went in for him in Jan, apparently, with a view to a swap with Johnson, but AJ didn't fancy the move.

I've finally learnt not to get too up/down about signings, so my hunch is he'll do okay for us, but we shall see. Apologies for the boring fence-sitting nothingness of my reply!

Oh, and apologies in advance to Clive for being dragged off topic. To make things right, I'd just like to conclude by saying that John Terry is a disgrace to our country, to humanity etc and an utter wa nk stain of a bloke. Ta.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 18:05 - Jul 12 with 1414 viewssimmo

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:59 - Jul 12 by Konk

Wait and see. Looked good against us and elsewhere until last year, where he appeared to do coc k-all. Not sure of his circumstances, though; injured, pi ssed-off or just cr ap? We went in for him in Jan, apparently, with a view to a swap with Johnson, but AJ didn't fancy the move.

I've finally learnt not to get too up/down about signings, so my hunch is he'll do okay for us, but we shall see. Apologies for the boring fence-sitting nothingness of my reply!

Oh, and apologies in advance to Clive for being dragged off topic. To make things right, I'd just like to conclude by saying that John Terry is a disgrace to our country, to humanity etc and an utter wa nk stain of a bloke. Ta.

See! You my Fulham friend, are welcome round here any time....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 18:15 - Jul 12 with 1396 viewshoopstilidie

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 16:40 - Jul 12 by Speediesdouble

I'll leave you girls too it, as it's clear that lateral thinking is way beyond most of you and you're far happier in la la land where the fluffy clouds float and the bunnies hop around, but would suggest you try opening your minds to truly understand what's being said as opposed to fixating on one thing.

Do you know what, until today I was under the impression that you were a dick.
I can only apologise for that.
Seriously.
I've had a good read of your defence of Terry and the points you have made and I realise that I was wrong about you.

Turns out that you were actually an utter cu nt.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 18:43 - Jul 12 with 1363 viewsGetMeRangers

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 16:48 - Jul 12 by daveB

If/when the FA get invovled they made it clear in the Suarez case that context doesn't matter, Suraez meant it as a joke I think but they banned him and fined him. Terry can use any one of his three stories but it shouldn't matter if the FA are fair and consistent, I know i don't think they will be either. If they do stick to the same punishment though he'll get a 4 game and I think his first game back will be at Loftus Road due to the Chairty shield game.

I sometimes wonder whether there is a possibility that at the FA HQ, they are having a secret laugh at our expense. If that is correct about a four match ban, then you just couldn't write a better script.

Seriously annoyed I cant get to this game, as it is likely to be as lively as last year's if Terry plays, particularly as I believe we have a team that is more able to compete against the scum. or will it be a repeat of the cup bore-fest
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 18:48 - Jul 12 with 1350 viewsTheBlob

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:49 - Jul 12 by 18StoneOfHoop

I would love Shami Chakrabarti to be Prime-Minister..she's just so intelligent,passionate,calm,eloquent and correct about just about everything and from reading the odd political thread on here I'm 100% sure that my fellow compassionate,tolerant,tree-hugging,PC loving,liberal,pro multicultural LFW comrades such as Clive_Anderson,Spaghetti,Blob and Hayesender - to name but a few posters off the top of my head - feel the same way.

Here's a little something for Blobbie to perve on. Total babe.. schwing!

Speediesdouble
------------------

Ultimately,as Metallica correctly pointed out,the mask's veneer cracked and he threw away all his previous reasonably coherently argued,if mistaken,positions and quickly took a good old LFW feeding frenzy battering as it became palpably clear for all to see that he'd thrown it all away & after being cool & contained for so long,his last post finally contains some rather weak pathetic,personal abuse - ooh he called us girls,how dare he? (and I can't think who he's referring to as living in the fluffy clouds of la la land?) - finally creeps in before he flounces off for the day.
Really rather enjoyable.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

OY!!!!

I think

Poll: So how was the season for you?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 22:15 - Jul 12 with 1222 viewsSomersetHoops

It was claimed the complaint came from a member of the public who heard the remark. Was this person ever called as a witness? Does anyone know who it was? Was it Anton's girlfriend?

I think Anton said he didn't hear it at the time, but that his girlfriend showed him it on YouTube shortly after the match and he was then upset by it. I have a funny feeling that because he said he didn't hear it when it was said, even if the magistrate believes Terry said it, the abuse did not take place. Unless the member of the public was black and was present as a credible witness and as far as I can tell they weren't.

I suspect for this reason there will be a not guilty verdict, but this will leave Terry with only die-hard Chelsea fans believing he didn't say it and mean it.

Who's Next?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 22:22 - Jul 12 with 1210 viewsDylanP

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 22:15 - Jul 12 by SomersetHoops

It was claimed the complaint came from a member of the public who heard the remark. Was this person ever called as a witness? Does anyone know who it was? Was it Anton's girlfriend?

I think Anton said he didn't hear it at the time, but that his girlfriend showed him it on YouTube shortly after the match and he was then upset by it. I have a funny feeling that because he said he didn't hear it when it was said, even if the magistrate believes Terry said it, the abuse did not take place. Unless the member of the public was black and was present as a credible witness and as far as I can tell they weren't.

I suspect for this reason there will be a not guilty verdict, but this will leave Terry with only die-hard Chelsea fans believing he didn't say it and mean it.

Its been said many times that the witness was an off-duty policeman. So probably not Anton's girlfriend then.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 22:50 - Jul 12 with 1177 viewsMarkPerryMason

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 17:22 - Jul 12 by TGRRRSSS

Sorry for delayed reply, I'm a solicitor generally dealing with crime. I do not remember what I posted about the Faurlin saga but I was confident we wouldn't get docked points due to right of appeal causing mayhem.

My principle concern regarding the press is that they won't fillify him at all and we will see a "John Terry - my ordeal" story in the sun with pictures of his recent charity drive in Africa!

Although at court today many solicitors expressed surprise about the delay announcing verdict, general consensus is that there may be a case of trying to find a way to find him guilty irregardless of the clear reasonable doubt. Anyone who thinks that this doesn't happen in law would be very mistaken. Experience tells me that the longer they need to think the worse it is for a defendant. the exact opposite to how juries work at the crown court. There may be some hope afterall then!
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:01 - Jul 12 with 1926 viewsCiderwithRsie

So, it seems from this thread that you can have a reasonable discussion and a bit of banter with a Fulham fan, but even a relatively articulate Chelsea fan is incapable of talking anything but utter balls and has a compete blind spot about racism.

Who knew, eh?
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:02 - Jul 12 with 1923 viewshamptonhillhoop

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 22:22 - Jul 12 by DylanP

Its been said many times that the witness was an off-duty policeman. So probably not Anton's girlfriend then.

My understanding of it is that the person who reported it to police did so as a result of what they saw on the Internet, not what they heard at the game. If someone, anyone perceives it to be racist, then it becomes a racist incident. They do not have to be a victim or directly involved. So any person who saw that YouTube footage could report it to police and they would investigate as they are duty bound to. This is quite unique to racist incidents
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:21 - Jul 12 with 1902 viewsdavman

Help me out here. He is on trial for using racially aggravated language and is not alleged to be a racist, so why has the judge allowed twenty odd witnesses stating that he is not a racist? Am I being dumb as I simply don't see the link.

I fundamentally don't believe Terry is a racist, but I KNOW that he is thick as Pig Shit. He, and his team mates TOTALLY lost it in the game in question; I think Clive said at the time they got upset because 15,000 people were shouting nasty things at them. We all know that they had two sent off, but could so easily have had four or five sent off they lost it so badly.

He did use the language, it was clear to see and his defence simply doesn't hold together - "I say Anton, did you think I called you a ...." REALLY?

Still that said, there's a good chance he'll walk free as I can't help but think this has been dodgy from the start. If it were any of us in court who had an extremely important task on at work (and I am sure that in the whole scheme of things 80% of us do could have something more worthwhile than Chelsea in the Champions League and England in the Euros), do you think a Judge would have put it back five months to suit?

Then the FA will do FA other than probably charge QPR with something like: 'wasting a Big Four Club's time' and then punish us when handshakes are again refused with the Scum and their captain.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:31 - Jul 12 with 1887 viewsSomersetHoops

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:02 - Jul 12 by hamptonhillhoop

My understanding of it is that the person who reported it to police did so as a result of what they saw on the Internet, not what they heard at the game. If someone, anyone perceives it to be racist, then it becomes a racist incident. They do not have to be a victim or directly involved. So any person who saw that YouTube footage could report it to police and they would investigate as they are duty bound to. This is quite unique to racist incidents

I missed it being a policeman. If he raised the complaint he must have thought the offence did happen as I would expect him to have a reasonable grasp of the law. Was he called as a witness at the hearing? I still wonder if Anton said he didn't hear it at the time and as it was directed at him whether it will therefore be said the offence did not take place. Although I'm not sure if just saying something racist without the target being aware of it would still be against the law or whether the fact that it was recorded and upset the target after seeing the recording would be considered to be an offence. Or is the offence just saying it in a public place (or anywhere)?

Nothing to do with the Terry case, but if somebody made a comment in private that might be considered by some to be racist and it was recorded without their knowledge, would that be an offence? I wouldn't want to condone racisist abuse, but we are in danger if that were the case of limiting free speech.

Who's Next?

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:33 - Jul 12 with 1883 viewshamptonhillhoop

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:21 - Jul 12 by davman

Help me out here. He is on trial for using racially aggravated language and is not alleged to be a racist, so why has the judge allowed twenty odd witnesses stating that he is not a racist? Am I being dumb as I simply don't see the link.

I fundamentally don't believe Terry is a racist, but I KNOW that he is thick as Pig Shit. He, and his team mates TOTALLY lost it in the game in question; I think Clive said at the time they got upset because 15,000 people were shouting nasty things at them. We all know that they had two sent off, but could so easily have had four or five sent off they lost it so badly.

He did use the language, it was clear to see and his defence simply doesn't hold together - "I say Anton, did you think I called you a ...." REALLY?

Still that said, there's a good chance he'll walk free as I can't help but think this has been dodgy from the start. If it were any of us in court who had an extremely important task on at work (and I am sure that in the whole scheme of things 80% of us do could have something more worthwhile than Chelsea in the Champions League and England in the Euros), do you think a Judge would have put it back five months to suit?

Then the FA will do FA other than probably charge QPR with something like: 'wasting a Big Four Club's time' and then punish us when handshakes are again refused with the Scum and their captain.

The character witnesses in the trial are exactly that, just about his character, not the actual evidence. It's just trying to convince the magistrate he's a decent bloke. You have to have faith in the magistrate in a case like this. They're highly intelligent impartial people who will listen to the evidence and assess it properly, unlike a jury who are far too open to manipulation by barristers. In a magistrates court case the character witnesses are pretty pointless.
My problem with this is that if he's found not guilty it gives the FA the perfect excuse to hide behind the verdict and say here's nothing they can do, when the evidential test in a legal court is a completely different burden of proof to theirs, which I imagine is balance of probabilities as opposed to beyond reasonable doubt
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:43 - Jul 12 with 1876 viewshamptonhillhoop

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:31 - Jul 12 by SomersetHoops

I missed it being a policeman. If he raised the complaint he must have thought the offence did happen as I would expect him to have a reasonable grasp of the law. Was he called as a witness at the hearing? I still wonder if Anton said he didn't hear it at the time and as it was directed at him whether it will therefore be said the offence did not take place. Although I'm not sure if just saying something racist without the target being aware of it would still be against the law or whether the fact that it was recorded and upset the target after seeing the recording would be considered to be an offence. Or is the offence just saying it in a public place (or anywhere)?

Nothing to do with the Terry case, but if somebody made a comment in private that might be considered by some to be racist and it was recorded without their knowledge, would that be an offence? I wouldn't want to condone racisist abuse, but we are in danger if that were the case of limiting free speech.

If I called you a FBC and you never heard it but someone else did and reported it on your behalf It would still get investigated. The fact is that Ferdinand has provided a statement to police as the victim and the fact that he doesn't hear it at the time doesn't really matter now. There's no need to call the person who reported it as the footage is in the public domain and all he/she did was set the wheels in motion.
As to the bit about things being recorded in private conversations it's a bit of a minefield with the human rights act, right to privacy etc. but there have been many cases of people having private conversations recorded secretly leading to their undoing, not necessarily in a court, but certainly through tabloid newspaper stings etc.
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 06:10 - Jul 13 with 1823 viewsfinney

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 23:31 - Jul 12 by SomersetHoops

if free speech is calling someone a FBC then god help us all.
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 07:45 - Jul 13 with 1799 viewsCanadaRanger

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 06:10 - Jul 13 by finney

if free speech is calling someone a FBC then god help us all.

I'm hoping it's not free.
2,000 pounds would sound about right.
I'll save him the 500 because the poor lad was provoked by a nasty crowd...
John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 10:14 - Jul 13 with 1753 viewsderbyhoop

With apologies to BasingstokeR for nicking his info

The offence of "Harassment, alarm or distress" is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) ... representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

JT did use insulting words. They did cause alarm or distress to the member of the public who reported it.

This offence has the following statutory defences:
(a) The defendant had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be alarmed or distressed by his action.
(c) The conduct was reasonable.

There were people within hearing/sight who were distressed by his actions. His conduct was not reasonable.

VERDICT - Guilty as charged.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 11:35 - Jul 13 with 1699 viewsBasingstokeR

John Terry goes on trial this Monday on 10:14 - Jul 13 by derbyhoop

With apologies to BasingstokeR for nicking his info

The offence of "Harassment, alarm or distress" is created by section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he:
(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or
(b) ... representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting, within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress thereby."

JT did use insulting words. They did cause alarm or distress to the member of the public who reported it.

This offence has the following statutory defences:
(a) The defendant had no reason to believe that there was any person within hearing or sight who was likely to be alarmed or distressed by his action.
(c) The conduct was reasonable.

There were people within hearing/sight who were distressed by his actions. His conduct was not reasonable.

VERDICT - Guilty as charged.

Exactly Derby - defence have done well if they introduce doubt, as I think their argument of context and only apply to whether the "conduct was reasonable" or not. I don't personally think it was, and Ferdinand's wasn't either through a relatively large amount of swearing - without that being an excuse.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024