Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 57541 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 07:10 - Jun 19 with 2364 viewsMonkey_Roots

Big news coming out of the club? on 00:07 - Jun 19 by Loftgirl

Maybe they offered him the chance to resign to look better on his CV.

It’s possible.

I hope you’re right.
Big news coming out of the club? on 07:43 - Jun 19 with 2264 viewsPhildo

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:41 - Jun 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just out of curiosity, why is Les Ferdinand to blame for the mess at QPR, but Steve Gallen isn’t to blame for the mess at Charlton?

Talking to a Charlton supporting mate the last owner had his son as director of analysis or some such and therefore Gallen did not have much say in signings for some time. He is highly thought of there and they do not want to lose him.
Big news coming out of the club? on 07:55 - Jun 19 with 2233 viewsthorpebankR

The most worrying thing is this should have been after the last game. We cannot afford to be on the backfoot signing players late in the window.
Big news coming out of the club? on 09:08 - Jun 19 with 2089 viewsDejR_vu

Replacing LF with Gallen would be making all the same mistakes again imo. LF was a big part of a big problem, imo, but not the root cause.

Everybody seems to accept that the DoF heads up the football side, LH the financial. The finance isn’t LH’s job, that’s the CFO.

The key appointment here is the CEO. He has two jobs: have a clear vision for the organisation and recruitment. He appoints the CFO, DoF, and all the other Heads of Department and makes sure it’s a well oiled machine.

Football is, in the main, populated by people who wouldn’t have a snowball in hell’s chance of holding equivalent roles outside of football. So, where you can, you recruit from outside of football where the talent pool is far bigger because, where you do find pockets of talent within football, it’s very unlikely to be available.

The only decision the owners have to get right is appointing a good CEO, one with a clear vision and one who is good at identifying and appointing talented people.

Obviously, there are some roles that need to be headed up by a football person, head of coaching within the academy, for example, final sign off on who goes on the the targets list for transfers etc.

IMO the DoF remit is a bit overstated. There are aspects of that role that are crucial but, by far the most important role is CEO. Get that right and let him/her get on with it, things start to head in the right direction.

FWIW I thought LH was a good appointment at the time, given where we were, but think he’s run his race.

Of course, none of this is going to happen. As has been pointed out, it took LF to resign, not the owners recognising the problem and taking decisive action. Imo the CEO should have been replaced months ago, so that the new one was in situ well before the end of last season.

The chaos is going to continue.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 9:14]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:05 - Jun 19 with 1911 viewsdaveB

It doesn't matter who the director of football is if we are going to continue just letting the manager buy who he wants. we need to start doing this properly
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:50 - Jun 19 with 1826 viewsWatfordR

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:05 - Jun 19 by daveB

It doesn't matter who the director of football is if we are going to continue just letting the manager buy who he wants. we need to start doing this properly

Agree 100%.

I might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I find it astonishing that in a dispute between DoF and manager/head coach about what players are to be targeted to bring in, that it's the DoF who goes. That is the wrong way round.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:26 - Jun 19 with 1605 viewsRangersw12

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:50 - Jun 19 by WatfordR

Agree 100%.

I might have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I find it astonishing that in a dispute between DoF and manager/head coach about what players are to be targeted to bring in, that it's the DoF who goes. That is the wrong way round.

I would have preferred it if both had gone tbh
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 13:27]
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:34 - Jun 19 with 1565 viewsJuzzie

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:50 - Jun 19 by WatfordR

Agree 100%.

Actually, in most cases it's the manager who goes which is harsh if they have no say in the players being brought in.

In a way, I can't understand why some manager's want complete autonomy. If it's their head on the block then let it be about the decisions they have made, not someone else's.
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:41 - Jun 19 with 1520 viewsNorthernr

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:34 - Jun 19 by Juzzie

Actually, in most cases it's the manager who goes which is harsh if they have no say in the players being brought in.

In a way, I can't understand why some manager's want complete autonomy. If it's their head on the block then let it be about the decisions they have made, not someone else's.

But then, as I say in the article, you get managers making hyper, hyper short term decisions - like, decisions to get me a result this weekend - which are frequently to the medium and long term detriment of the club. In many cases they also make decisions that benefit them financially, like working with a favoured agent, when there may be better players available.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:47 - Jun 19 with 1473 viewsSonofpugwash

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:41 - Jun 19 by Northernr

But then, as I say in the article, you get managers making hyper, hyper short term decisions - like, decisions to get me a result this weekend - which are frequently to the medium and long term detriment of the club. In many cases they also make decisions that benefit them financially, like working with a favoured agent, when there may be better players available.

Like Mike Sheron over Paolo Wanchope.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:23 - Jun 19 with 1350 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Big news coming out of the club? on 07:43 - Jun 19 by Phildo

Talking to a Charlton supporting mate the last owner had his son as director of analysis or some such and therefore Gallen did not have much say in signings for some time. He is highly thought of there and they do not want to lose him.

I have to ask again, how do we know this is any different to LF?
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:03 - Jun 19 with 1213 viewsJuzzie

Big news coming out of the club? on 07:55 - Jun 19 by thorpebankR

The most worrying thing is this should have been after the last game. We cannot afford to be on the backfoot signing players late in the window.

We can't sign anyone until July 1st anyway.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:07 - Jun 19 with 1190 viewsJuzzie

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:41 - Jun 19 by Northernr

Yup, saw that but that's down to whoever hired him. Was if the DoF, was it the owners? Whoever it is should take accountability too. Maybe that's what's finally happened here.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:22 - Jun 19 with 1137 viewsMonkey_Roots

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:23 - Jun 19 by BazzaInTheLoft

I have to ask again, how do we know this is any different to LF?

I guess we don't - it's all speculation really.

What's the remit at our club for a DOF? I have a broad idea about what I think it should be, but then again I'm clueless. I seem to remember an interview with Les a few years ago now where he said that a manager comes to him with a need - we need a right back — and Les then goes and works with recruitment and finance to identify a suitable player at the right price, who would compliment our style of play. This is all sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but how does that compare with what old whatshisface at Charlton does, or how any other DOFs operate?

Regarding the DOF at QPR — I'm going to quote ZicosHoops now — What's going on? Someone should tell us, and indeed sort it out.

Or not — I suppose it would end the speculation over who does what, and more importantly, who's fault it is (jk), but it wouldn't really serve the club interests to have our complete strategy, plan, roles and responsibilities laid bare for all to see. I guess it's a matter of whether we trust our owners to do what's in the best interests of the club.
Big news coming out of the club? on 22:09 - Jun 19 with 967 viewsbaz_qpr

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:22 - Jun 19 by Monkey_Roots

I guess we don't - it's all speculation really.

What's the remit at our club for a DOF? I have a broad idea about what I think it should be, but then again I'm clueless. I seem to remember an interview with Les a few years ago now where he said that a manager comes to him with a need - we need a right back — and Les then goes and works with recruitment and finance to identify a suitable player at the right price, who would compliment our style of play. This is all sounds perfectly reasonable to me, but how does that compare with what old whatshisface at Charlton does, or how any other DOFs operate?

Regarding the DOF at QPR — I'm going to quote ZicosHoops now — What's going on? Someone should tell us, and indeed sort it out.

Or not — I suppose it would end the speculation over who does what, and more importantly, who's fault it is (jk), but it wouldn't really serve the club interests to have our complete strategy, plan, roles and responsibilities laid bare for all to see. I guess it's a matter of whether we trust our owners to do what's in the best interests of the club.

So if I am setting the PDP objectives of the DOF they are:

Create the framework of a thriving youth system ensuring the club is producing talent and assets with at least one in each age group making grade

Create an analytical team that are able using the latest technologies and techniques provide analysis for both development and recruitment that will give competitive advantage

Put in place a fitness and medical team that optimises the availability and longevity of the clubs playing assets

Manage the transfer and recruitment policy and budgets ensuring your P & L is always in surplus over a 3 year period, responsible for negotiations ensuring the best value for the club in terms of sales revenue and purchase expenditure

Create a footballing identity / philosophy for the club, recruit coaching and managerial staff including the first and B teams and ensure the identity is engrained at all levels.

Now its not easy to achieve this and its a long term role not something someone can come in and do for a couple of years but in the modern era for me this is the role of the DOF. The CEO is responsible for finance and revenue, operations, marketing, infrastructure.

The problem at QPR it seems is either the remit is not set out clearly and widely enough or the owners are not committed enough to follow it through especially if things are not working as they should the DOF is not right (or one of the owners gets an itch they need to scratch!!)
[Post edited 19 Jun 2023 22:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024