Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 58374 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:20 - Jun 16 with 4721 viewsTW_R

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:34 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

Simple fact is we have been average at best under these owners and that's where the real problem lies

How many owners have we had where we have been better than average vs ones where we have been worse than average. We are an average Championship side and historically that’s our level. We will have good seasons and bad seasons, but we really don’t have a fantastically long list of owners that I would class as better than average.
Big news coming out of the club? on 22:04 - Jun 16 with 4511 viewspaulparker

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:20 - Jun 16 by TW_R

How many owners have we had where we have been better than average vs ones where we have been worse than average. We are an average Championship side and historically that’s our level. We will have good seasons and bad seasons, but we really don’t have a fantastically long list of owners that I would class as better than average.

We are an average Championship side and historically that’s our level

You were obviously born after 1996

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Big news coming out of the club? on 22:57 - Jun 16 with 4332 viewsMatch82

Big news coming out of the club? on 22:04 - Jun 16 by paulparker

Is that wrong?

Let's take the best possible time frame, 1973 to date. That's 50 years, 22 of which were in the top division, 3 in the 3rd tier and 25 in the 2nd tier.

And that's cherry picking the very best possible timeframe. Those of us who grew up in the late 70s, 80s or early 90s like to think of us as a top tier club but realistically we had a few years in the 70s and then one 12 year run in the 80s and 90s where we punched above our weight.

If you look at number of teams who have spent the most years in the top flight, we're number 38 on that list. We've spent less years in the top flight than Ipswich, Norwich, Charlton, Blackpool, Notts County, Huddersfield and Preston to name a few.

The last 27 years we've spent 21 of them in their division, and the other 6 split equally in the one above and the one below.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be more but saying that this is historically our level is absolutely true.
Big news coming out of the club? on 23:01 - Jun 16 with 4318 viewsdaveB

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:57 - Jun 16 by ed_83

Of the four players you've mentioned, only Furlong really came through our youth setup. Lumley joined at 16 after being released by Spurs, Eze and Chair joined us at 19.

Of course EPPP is a curse, but it's literally the DOF's job to find a way to keep us progressing despite those restrictions. A club of our size absolutely has to be bringing through a couple of youth prospects a season and using them to replace players we sell for big money. Plenty of other clubs manage it, but it's fairly clear that we haven't: that's ultimately Les' responsibility.

Same with transfers: it's not Les' fault that our form has tanked, but it is his responsibility to ensure our transfer activity keeps the club moving forward. We needed to sell Dickie and Willock a year or two ago, when their stock was highest, but instead we clung onto them to chase promotion. We all understand the challenges in trying to keep a team like QPR competitive in a league like this, and hindsight is 20/20, but that was obviously the wrong choice. Maximising transfer value from our players is a key part of what a DOF should be doing, but Les has repeatedly fallen short on this.

I actually think Les has done a decent job overall in incredibly difficult circumstances, and that a lot of the criticism he's faced has been completely unfair. But you don't need to be an expert or a professional football executive to look at our finances, the state of the playing squad, and our position in the league, and conclude that we've stalled in several areas, and are regressing in others, or to conclude that if you're ultimately responsible for that as a DOF then your position basically becomes untenable.

Who are these clubs bringing through a few kids a season into the team and selling them on, just doesn't happen. All clubs get the odd one come through but not every season, that's pretty rare
Big news coming out of the club? on 23:08 - Jun 16 with 4290 viewsHastings_Hoops

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:31 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

Ferdinand only appointed Warburton and Beale

The rest were the board .

Awful news if we're gonna be giving Ainsworth the keys to the sweet shop

Critchley?… but yes I agree with your logic.
Big news coming out of the club? on 09:46 - Jun 17 with 3723 viewsderbyhoop

The worrying thing for me, after reading the WLS take, is that transfer policy was the final straw.
Are we set to go back to "the manager gets what the manager wants"?
Isnt that what a DOF was supposed to avoid? Warbs, Beale and Critchley all had similar philosophies. Ainsworth appears to be completely different. So are we going to replace 80% of the squad? Then if/when results go to hell, as many are predicting, GA gets the sack in late Autumn and we have to start again. With another comprehensive overhaul.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:02 - Jun 17 with 3671 viewsNorthantsHoop

Personally think the completion and opening of the new training centre will galvanise the club to start to progress again. Priority is to find a footballing strategy in both recruitment and development that cements and progresses our position as a top Championship club. On the first team playing side we have looked a weak and fragile team for last 2 seasons and this is where Ainsworth and the new DoF need to focus. We get bullied as a team, lack physicality and have a weak core through the centre of team, from centre half, centre midfield and centre forward. I have no problem watching a team that is physical can play long ball football, what I do have a problem with is having to endure getting turned over week in week out at Loftus Road, which has been the case for last 18 months.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:03 - Jun 17 with 3662 viewsterryb

Big news coming out of the club? on 22:57 - Jun 16 by Match82

Is that wrong?

Let's take the best possible time frame, 1973 to date. That's 50 years, 22 of which were in the top division, 3 in the 3rd tier and 25 in the 2nd tier.

And that's cherry picking the very best possible timeframe. Those of us who grew up in the late 70s, 80s or early 90s like to think of us as a top tier club but realistically we had a few years in the 70s and then one 12 year run in the 80s and 90s where we punched above our weight.

If you look at number of teams who have spent the most years in the top flight, we're number 38 on that list. We've spent less years in the top flight than Ipswich, Norwich, Charlton, Blackpool, Notts County, Huddersfield and Preston to name a few.

The last 27 years we've spent 21 of them in their division, and the other 6 split equally in the one above and the one below.

I'm not saying we shouldn't strive to be more but saying that this is historically our level is absolutely true.

Which means we have spent 23 seasons in the top flight since our formation 1886. All bar three of those were in a 30 year period & we were relegated in 5 of them.

[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 10:05]
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:06 - Jun 17 with 3623 viewsdistortR

Big news coming out of the club? on 09:46 - Jun 17 by derbyhoop

The worrying thing for me, after reading the WLS take, is that transfer policy was the final straw.
Are we set to go back to "the manager gets what the manager wants"?
Isnt that what a DOF was supposed to avoid? Warbs, Beale and Critchley all had similar philosophies. Ainsworth appears to be completely different. So are we going to replace 80% of the squad? Then if/when results go to hell, as many are predicting, GA gets the sack in late Autumn and we have to start again. With another comprehensive overhaul.

Did we ever actually move away from the manager getting what the manager wants? Now, whether that was down to Les, or he was being bypassed, we don't know.

GA's appointment appears to have been Amit's work. Les and GA allegedly disagreeing on recruitment is a worry, but then when I think about the last two or three years of recruitment, it's less so.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:23 - Jun 17 with 3536 viewsPunteR

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:06 - Jun 17 by distortR

Did we ever actually move away from the manager getting what the manager wants? Now, whether that was down to Les, or he was being bypassed, we don't know.

GA's appointment appears to have been Amit's work. Les and GA allegedly disagreeing on recruitment is a worry, but then when I think about the last two or three years of recruitment, it's less so.

It always seems so disjointed between the board, the DoF, Hoos and manager no matter who was in place. If Ainsworth can do recruitment without a DoF while keeping everybody on the same page then that's not a bad thing is it?
I mean, I'm not sure on Ainsworths ability, dont get me wrong, but he's our manager now so might as well go all in. We've tried everything else.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:02 - Jun 17 with 3417 viewsslmrstid

And pre-1967 how many years had we spent outside of the bottom two tiers of football?

Genuine question this as I don't know but I'm sure its not many?
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:33 - Jun 17 with 3285 viewsandrew1302

If Les and GA did disagree on recruitment i would probably back GA given our financial position. Les's problem was , with a couple of exceptions, unable to pick players which fitted the budget and position of the club. Luton , Brentford, Millwall, Brighton have all managed but we have signed sick notes generally or players who on first viewing just weren't very good but cost ie Bonne. Take Bristol City at the moment . They have young players coming thru and have sold on well. That is what we need to do and fine have great facilities but you need players in them who can fulfill your mandate and that is where Les failed. Nice bloke, tried hard, loved the club but unfortunately failed and for me that is the major reason we are not one of the aforementioned clubs.
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:52 - Jun 17 with 3205 viewsDannyPaddox

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:02 - Jun 17 by slmrstid

And pre-1967 how many years had we spent outside of the bottom two tiers of football?

1948-1952: 4 years in Division 2. All bottom half finishes: 13th, 20th, 16th, & 22nd (rock bottom)

Our 3rd Round FA Cup results over that period have a familiar feel to them …

Huddersfield (Away) 0-5
Everton (Home) 0-2
Millwall (Home) 3-4
Brentford (Away) 1-3

Inconsequential trivia: In the 1951/52 FA Cup, Leyton, Leytonstone, and Leyton Orient all made it through to the 2nd Round. Amazeballs.
Big news coming out of the club? on 12:52 - Jun 17 with 3059 viewsderbyhoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 23:01 - Jun 16 by daveB

Who are these clubs bringing through a few kids a season into the team and selling them on, just doesn't happen. All clubs get the odd one come through but not every season, that's pretty rare

Realistically, if you could get 1 player per season moving up from the Youth setup to Championship, then you'd be very content.
Occasionally a team will find a group, like Bristol City currently or the Class of 92 at Man U. But that's far from the norm.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:42 - Jun 17 with 2900 viewsHAMRanger

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:11 - Jun 16 by Match82

Take a look at the squad, wage bill and atmosphere that Ferdinand inherited.
There is a reason we were buying players like the ones you mentioned, we were in an awful place financially and the club was rotten to the core.

He made some mistakes like anyone does but if you go back to this time 2 years ago, can you genuinely tell me that the club wasn't in the healthiest and most sustainable state it had been in for decades? We had the wage bill under control, were bringing youth players through in the first time in forever, were playing attractive easy to watch football and winning games.

Since then it's gone south and that's why he isn't here, not arguing that. But if you look at the tenure his time here most of it was a success.

I agree
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:52 - Jun 17 with 2680 viewsTW_R

Big news coming out of the club? on 22:04 - Jun 16 by paulparker

You’re about 30 years out there. Ironically I was born the year of the first time we were ever in the top flight so I have actually lived and supported QPR through our most successful period. Match82 has summed it up, but since that time we have spent more time out of the top division than in it, and prior to 1968, never in it.
Big news coming out of the club? on 15:30 - Jun 17 with 2533 viewsSonofpugwash

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:52 - Jun 17 by TW_R

You’re about 30 years out there. Ironically I was born the year of the first time we were ever in the top flight so I have actually lived and supported QPR through our most successful period. Match82 has summed it up, but since that time we have spent more time out of the top division than in it, and prior to 1968, never in it.

Traditionally we have always been a club that punched above its weight and tilted at windmills.We benefitted from not being weighed down by draconian rules and regulations,anyone bold enough could hit the big time.I long for the days of Alec Stock,Dave Sexton TV et al obviously but that ain't going to happen in the few years(maybe) left of a pitifully short life.So badly hamstrung and branded R's are that you almost long for the butcher's knife.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 15:35]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:54 - Jun 17 with 2309 viewsDavieQPR

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:02 - Jun 17 by slmrstid

We only spent 4 seasons in Div 2 in 1948 to 1952 otherwise we were always in the 3rd tier. So actually it's a lot.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2023 17:01]
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:44 - Jun 17 with 2070 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:11 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

Top post, although would disagree with a few things. How is having a player at 16 not coming through the system?!
Eze and Chair were both 17 when they joined not 19. These are boys. They developed hugely in that time, it's ludicrous to write that off.

And not one single fan ever said we should have sold Willock or Dickie a year or two ago. Not one. A lot of very smart hindsight going on these last few days.

"And not one single fan ever said we should have sold Willock or Dickie a year or two ago".

I did. That's not to say that I wanted them to leave but I recognised that they had to be sold to move forwards.

The bottom line is if you're going to tout yourself as a club that develops players to sell on at profit then do exactly that when their stock is high.
Big news coming out of the club? on 20:04 - Jun 17 with 1929 viewszicoshoops

I’ve gotta be honest ( said every lying politician everywhere)
I couldn’t care less if he stayed or left.
Loved watching him play.

What I do care about is, when all the money came into the game I thought we would be left behind.
I look at Leicester and what they achieved.
I look at Brighton.
I look at Brentford.
I look at Bournemouth.

I only wish it was us, but how could it be, we never had a pot to piss in.

But that’s the point…. we did have a pot to piss in.
A very big pot indeed.

And look at us now.
Why?
A million different theories, but….
Our club could have been pushed on by leaps and bounds… but it wasn’t.
That chance…… those finances may never visit us again.

Rightly or wrongly, I make that unforgivable.
Unforgivable.

Anyway.

What’s going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
Big news coming out of the club? on 09:55 - Jun 18 with 1462 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:36 - Jun 16 by baz_qpr

I'm not sure we should be modelling ourselves on Charlton a club that should be in the championship but has spent 6 out of the last 7 being mediocre in league one and changes managers like socks

I don't think anyone was suggesting that we "model ourselves on Charlton".

However, I think having kept the player recruitment side moving forwards there whilst reducing the wage bill by 30% in his first year, and by having been a figure of calm and stability amongst a sea of madness, I believe that Steve Gallen has shown that he would be a more than capable replacement for Sir Les as DoF in our gaff.

With glowing testimonials from Raheem Sterling and Charlie Austin amongst numerous others, and a widely recognised reputation for being clear-headed, practical and hardworking, I think either he or Kenny Jackett would be best poitioned to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear situation we find ourselves in financially, and having made such a positive contribution to our youth system back in the day, SG would be a sound and logical appointment at this particular time where so much noise and focus will be on that side of the footballing operation.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:38 - Jun 18 with 1348 viewsQPRConor2000

my views on each of the preferred candidates.

Steve Gallen.

think he is the obvious replacement at this moment, hes got a good track record with Charlton and has worked with tight budgets and has built a very strong academy set up there, it might be a good time to get him, given Charlton are now under new ownership, suspect the only issue is with compensation imo.

Mark Warburton

Just left West Ham after their conference league win, think he would be a really good appointment however I doubt the board will go after him, especially after the way he left the club last year.

Kenny Jackett

he knows Ainsworth well and would make sense from that regard, however i do think its pretty unlikely given Gillingham are under new ownership now.

Luke Dowling

I think he is the most interesting choice out of the four, he has held positions at Watford, West Brom and Nottingham Forest as Director of Football, he was also Chief Scout at Leeds as well prior to moving to forest.

Think he could be doable, given he is out of work currently, but suspect only issue would be with budgets.
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:53 - Jun 18 with 2814 viewsRangersw12

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:38 - Jun 18 by QPRConor2000

my views on each of the preferred candidates.

Steve Gallen.

think he is the obvious replacement at this moment, hes got a good track record with Charlton and has worked with tight budgets and has built a very strong academy set up there, it might be a good time to get him, given Charlton are now under new ownership, suspect the only issue is with compensation imo.

Mark Warburton

Just left West Ham after their conference league win, think he would be a really good appointment however I doubt the board will go after him, especially after the way he left the club last year.

Kenny Jackett

he knows Ainsworth well and would make sense from that regard, however i do think its pretty unlikely given Gillingham are under new ownership now.

Luke Dowling

I think he is the most interesting choice out of the four, he has held positions at Watford, West Brom and Nottingham Forest as Director of Football, he was also Chief Scout at Leeds as well prior to moving to forest.

Think he could be doable, given he is out of work currently, but suspect only issue would be with budgets.

Any idea what Dowling was like at his previous clubs was he well thought of etc ?
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:45 - Jun 18 with 2567 viewsQPRConor2000

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:53 - Jun 18 by Rangersw12

Any idea what Dowling was like at his previous clubs was he well thought of etc ?

Dowling was a director of football at West Brom until last year, Nottingham Forest and Watford previously, he was also a Chief Scout at Leeds as well.

so he has plenty of experience behind him.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:53 - Jun 18 with 2559 viewsNorthernr

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:45 - Jun 18 by QPRConor2000

Dowling was a director of football at West Brom until last year, Nottingham Forest and Watford previously, he was also a Chief Scout at Leeds as well.

so he has plenty of experience behind him.

One success story after another there...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024