Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 58375 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:49 - Jun 18 with 2449 viewsbaz_qpr

Big news coming out of the club? on 09:55 - Jun 18 by E15Hoop

I don't think anyone was suggesting that we "model ourselves on Charlton".

However, I think having kept the player recruitment side moving forwards there whilst reducing the wage bill by 30% in his first year, and by having been a figure of calm and stability amongst a sea of madness, I believe that Steve Gallen has shown that he would be a more than capable replacement for Sir Les as DoF in our gaff.

With glowing testimonials from Raheem Sterling and Charlie Austin amongst numerous others, and a widely recognised reputation for being clear-headed, practical and hardworking, I think either he or Kenny Jackett would be best poitioned to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear situation we find ourselves in financially, and having made such a positive contribution to our youth system back in the day, SG would be a sound and logical appointment at this particular time where so much noise and focus will be on that side of the footballing operation.

His reputation amongst Charlton fans is as high as Les's is with QPR fans. Employ the best person with the best vision for the club and back them, rather than appoint someone purely on the basis that they "know the club"
Big news coming out of the club? on 15:59 - Jun 18 with 2358 viewscaliforniahoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:49 - Jun 18 by baz_qpr

His reputation amongst Charlton fans is as high as Les's is with QPR fans. Employ the best person with the best vision for the club and back them, rather than appoint someone purely on the basis that they "know the club"

This
Big news coming out of the club? on 16:24 - Jun 18 with 2281 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 15:59 - Jun 18 by californiahoop

This

Did you actually read the first part of what I wrote about cost reduction?

Where exactly did I say "employ him because he knows the club"?

I thought what I actually wrote was essentially "employ him, because he's done well elsewhere in a similar role with very little in a difficult situation, and his experience, expertise and calm, methodical approach have been recognised and endorsed by people who've had a very close relationship with him previously and have gone on to have great success in the game, therefore perhaps we should take note of their opinion".

Clearly the English I speak is different to yours!

Having said that, Dave Mc tweeted the other day that in his opinion, our problem has essentially been NOT having enough people at the club who know and understand the situation the club finds itself in now, rather than less, and I have to say I agree.

I also don't understand how snotty people are being about having someone back in the fold who always gave 100% to the cause whilst he was here, and would doubtless do the same again, given the chance.

Clive has also made the point that Luke Dowling has not exactly had an unblemished record in this role, and I've just been reading some interesting comments about his less than positive impact on the West Brom Academy posted on their equivalent of LFW.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:56 - Jun 18 with 2154 viewsVancouverHoop

If Warburton was interested (a very big "if" I'm guessing) then he'd be my choice. Simply because there are fewer unknowns for all parties concerned. He knows the club, they know him. I doubt Ainsworth would last long, which is a pity. But, as Clive has clearly indicated, that's a DoF's perogative. I doubt he'd take the job though, he strikes me as someone who doesn't look back.
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:05 - Jun 18 with 2112 viewsfrancisbowles

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:49 - Jun 18 by baz_qpr

His reputation amongst the fans should not come into it. Fans have very limited knowledge of the function of a DOF and have even less ability to judge whether they are performing their role as laid down by the owners.
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:11 - Jun 18 with 2077 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:56 - Jun 18 by VancouverHoop

If Warburton was interested (a very big "if" I'm guessing) then he'd be my choice. Simply because there are fewer unknowns for all parties concerned. He knows the club, they know him. I doubt Ainsworth would last long, which is a pity. But, as Clive has clearly indicated, that's a DoF's perogative. I doubt he'd take the job though, he strikes me as someone who doesn't look back.

As has been discussed on several of the other threads, the issue is not whether he would take thew job, but whether the Board would even remotely consider sanctioning an approach to him, given the complete breakdown of communication between him and the Academy staff, and his lack of enthusiasm for the quality of the work they've been doing in his eyes.

Given the amount of money being poured into Heston, and the amount of focus on the fact that the facility will eventually give us the opportunity to go for Category One status, you would have to think that a key element of the DoF's responsibilities will be to ensure that the relationship between the Acadmy and the Head Coach is positive and watertight.
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:17 - Jun 18 with 2067 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 18:05 - Jun 18 by francisbowles

His reputation amongst the fans should not come into it. Fans have very limited knowledge of the function of a DOF and have even less ability to judge whether they are performing their role as laid down by the owners.

Not only that, FB, but who are these mysterious Charlton fans he's referring to, how many of them are there, and exactly how representative of the fan base are they?

As you rightly point out, given the praise that's been widely given out to SG by the club itself, by the local media including BBC London, and by people such as Raheem Sterling and Charlie Austin amongst numerous others who he has had a direct impact on, I would respectfully suggest that these unnamed fans enjoy complaining about things they don't understand as much as a portion of our lot seem to.
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:21 - Jun 18 with 2056 viewsbaz_qpr

Big news coming out of the club? on 18:05 - Jun 18 by francisbowles

Kind of my point and that rolls both ways, have a set of criteria and look to appoint the best fit to that criteria. What should not be part of that criteria is knows the club or would be popular with fans
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 18:44 - Jun 18 with 1958 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 18:21 - Jun 18 by baz_qpr

Kind of my point and that rolls both ways, have a set of criteria and look to appoint the best fit to that criteria. What should not be part of that criteria is knows the club or would be popular with fans

Whatever you may think about the Board, they do know how to run multi-million pound businesses successfully.
Given how badly they've had their fingers burnt over the past 10 years, and how much thought, planning, reosurce and focus has gone into getting Heston up and running in particular, don't you think they're likely to be putting a proper due diligence process into effect for this key appointment.
And as said earlier, why are you suggesting that knowing the club, understanding its culture, history and where the club currently stands financially in regards to FFP and how best to maximise that situation for the club's benefit is a disadvantge when surely these are pre-requisites for a sound, long-term successful appointment?
Big news coming out of the club? on 19:07 - Jun 18 with 1893 viewsVancouverHoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 18:11 - Jun 18 by E15Hoop

As has been discussed on several of the other threads, the issue is not whether he would take thew job, but whether the Board would even remotely consider sanctioning an approach to him, given the complete breakdown of communication between him and the Academy staff, and his lack of enthusiasm for the quality of the work they've been doing in his eyes.

Given the amount of money being poured into Heston, and the amount of focus on the fact that the facility will eventually give us the opportunity to go for Category One status, you would have to think that a key element of the DoF's responsibilities will be to ensure that the relationship between the Acadmy and the Head Coach is positive and watertight.

Well quite. Which is why, if Warburton was hired, I'd expect wholesale changes among the academy staff. That would be part of the DoF's remit and, based on their lack of accomplishment so far, it shouldn't be controversial.
Big news coming out of the club? on 19:19 - Jun 18 with 1857 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 19:07 - Jun 18 by VancouverHoop

Well quite. Which is why, if Warburton was hired, I'd expect wholesale changes among the academy staff. That would be part of the DoF's remit and, based on their lack of accomplishment so far, it shouldn't be controversial.

Not sure I agree with your last point, given that the Academy Staff include a Technical Director very highly regarded by the FA, and a coach who moonlights as the Head Coach of an international team.

These are not people you dismiss in a hurry, expecting them to go quietly into the night.
Big news coming out of the club? on 19:37 - Jun 18 with 1818 viewsVancouverHoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 19:19 - Jun 18 by E15Hoop

Not sure I agree with your last point, given that the Academy Staff include a Technical Director very highly regarded by the FA, and a coach who moonlights as the Head Coach of an international team.

These are not people you dismiss in a hurry, expecting them to go quietly into the night.

Sure. They're tough decisions, painful even. But they're ones a DoF sometimes has to make, that's what he/she is paid to do.

QPR has been an Old Boys club for too long. Some fundamental changes have to be made, unless we're satisfied to slide into the obscurity of the lower divisions. I mean, I'm cool with that but I'm also unlikely to be around in twenty years to witness the consequences on a weekly basis. What happens, or doesn't, in the next few weeks is likely pivotal for our club's long term future.
Big news coming out of the club? on 19:45 - Jun 18 with 1797 viewsMonkey_Roots

Big news coming out of the club? on 19:19 - Jun 18 by E15Hoop

Jesus, is there anything the club does that you don’t absolutely LOVE?
Big news coming out of the club? on 20:10 - Jun 18 with 1705 viewsPunteR

How is Steve Gallens name being thrown in the hat for the DoF role?

Didnt Les promote him so he could get the sack?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:45 - Jun 18 with 1651 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 19:45 - Jun 18 by Monkey_Roots

Jesus, is there anything the club does that you don’t absolutely LOVE?

I didn't express an opinion on this one way or the other.
My point is that the Academy has a strong power base with high profile people running it.
If you sack them, don't expect them to go quietly or cheaply, and you had better be certain of the direction you take from that point onwards, especially with the amount of resource being poured into it.
Big news coming out of the club? on 20:50 - Jun 18 with 1631 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:10 - Jun 18 by PunteR

How is Steve Gallens name being thrown in the hat for the DoF role?

Didnt Les promote him so he could get the sack?

See earlier points about the excellent job he has done at Charlton under even more challenging circumstances than we currently face.
Referenced also by Clive in his "Goobye, Les" piece.
Big news coming out of the club? on 21:10 - Jun 18 with 1575 viewsdavman

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:04 - Jun 17 by zicoshoops

I’ve gotta be honest ( said every lying politician everywhere)
I couldn’t care less if he stayed or left.
Loved watching him play.

What I do care about is, when all the money came into the game I thought we would be left behind.
I look at Leicester and what they achieved.
I look at Brighton.
I look at Brentford.
I look at Bournemouth.

I only wish it was us, but how could it be, we never had a pot to piss in.

But that’s the point…. we did have a pot to piss in.
A very big pot indeed.

And look at us now.
Why?
A million different theories, but….
Our club could have been pushed on by leaps and bounds… but it wasn’t.
That chance…… those finances may never visit us again.

Rightly or wrongly, I make that unforgivable.
Unforgivable.

Anyway.

What’s going on?

We should be told

Sort it out

Sums up how I feel .

Surprised you haven't got more up votes for that one, but I guess people have stopped reading the thread now we are twelve pages in!

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:41 - Jun 18 with 1516 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just out of curiosity, why is Les Ferdinand to blame for the mess at QPR, but Steve Gallen isn’t to blame for the mess at Charlton?
Big news coming out of the club? on 22:13 - Jun 18 with 1399 viewsMonkey_Roots

I find it laughable that Les had to resign at all, he should have been handed the P45, along with others that are just as culpable, the day after the Bristol City game.

We can’t even wash the bitter taste of losing a bonafide club legend away with the sweet sweet knowledge that our leadership recognised the problem (well, one of many at least) and acted. For all we know, they’re still sitting there with his resignation letter in hand, completely dumbfounded and confused.

I wonder what the plan was prior to Les leaving the building?

Maybe Les’ last good deed for this club, was having the guts (and the sense) to do what they should have already done, and forced them into thinking about the next phase for QPR.
Big news coming out of the club? on 22:36 - Jun 18 with 1360 viewsVancouverHoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:41 - Jun 18 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just out of curiosity, why is Les Ferdinand to blame for the mess at QPR, but Steve Gallen isn’t to blame for the mess at Charlton?

Valid question.

Perhaps because the ownership chaos at Charlton gives him a get-out-of-jail-free card? For better or worse our ownership group has been remarkably stable since they took over. Not the most savvy, far from it, but at least they've stuck with us.
Big news coming out of the club? on 23:09 - Jun 18 with 1299 viewsLoyalitat

Very pertinent question.

For a club of Charlton's size in division one: average gate close to ours, they should be doing better. Irrespective of some of the backroom upheavals, they have had budgets available that are higher than most teams in that division.

M Bonne and Todd Kane were very dubious January transfer window signings/loan signings and were made on Gallen's watch, which is hardly a ringing endorsement.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2023 23:54]
Big news coming out of the club? on 00:07 - Jun 19 with 1242 viewsLoftgirl

Big news coming out of the club? on 22:13 - Jun 18 by Monkey_Roots

I find it laughable that Les had to resign at all, he should have been handed the P45, along with others that are just as culpable, the day after the Bristol City game.

We can’t even wash the bitter taste of losing a bonafide club legend away with the sweet sweet knowledge that our leadership recognised the problem (well, one of many at least) and acted. For all we know, they’re still sitting there with his resignation letter in hand, completely dumbfounded and confused.

I wonder what the plan was prior to Les leaving the building?

Maybe Les’ last good deed for this club, was having the guts (and the sense) to do what they should have already done, and forced them into thinking about the next phase for QPR.

Maybe they offered him the chance to resign to look better on his CV.
Big news coming out of the club? on 07:10 - Jun 19 with 2389 viewsMonkey_Roots

Big news coming out of the club? on 00:07 - Jun 19 by Loftgirl

Maybe they offered him the chance to resign to look better on his CV.

It’s possible.

I hope you’re right.
Big news coming out of the club? on 07:43 - Jun 19 with 2289 viewsPhildo

Talking to a Charlton supporting mate the last owner had his son as director of analysis or some such and therefore Gallen did not have much say in signings for some time. He is highly thought of there and they do not want to lose him.
Big news coming out of the club? on 07:55 - Jun 19 with 2258 viewsthorpebankR

The most worrying thing is this should have been after the last game. We cannot afford to be on the backfoot signing players late in the window.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024