Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 58373 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:08 - Jun 16 with 4187 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:54 - Jun 16 by terryb

On what grounds do you claim that "most likely they have a solid relationship"? Being at a club at the same time doesn't even show that they liked each other. It has been known many times that individuals don't get on. Not that I have any idea if they did or not!"

I do believe that my recall of Gareth's caretaker time at the club is rather different than yours! All I can remember is him standing about waving his arms & making the substitutions that Briatore demanded!

True on the first para, but I think that somewhat unlikely given that both of them are very much positive, modest characters. Doesn't strike me as a dynamic that would have ever had any conflict.

On the second, absolutely NOT true. Well documented that he used to pretend he hadn't heard the phone when Tango used to call him during matches.
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:20 - Jun 16 with 4012 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:07 - Jun 16 by daveB

and then signed him again

https://talksport.com/football/efl/541132/charlton-athletic-exclusive-interview-

A few years old now, but still worth a read.
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:52 - Jun 16 with 3714 viewsSakura

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:02 - Jun 16 by robith

My main opposition to Steve Gallen becoming DOF is how intolerable his brother is going to be on that podcast

Charlton have done well out of us haven’t they

There was also the £1m+ Les gave them for Jordan Cousins!!! Another fine decision of Les’ I must proclaim my gratitude for to not upset Jordan or Woking R
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:52 - Jun 16 with 3741 viewsQPROslo

Big thanks to Les! His only big mistake and perhaps it wasnt his decision, was pushing Warburton out. For what it's worth I'm hoping we get Warburton back in as DoF. Hope him departing Hammers so recently is no coincidence. He's got experience with that kind of job, he says he wants this type of job, he knows the Club, and would hopefully maintain our footballing style throughout the Club. I'm sure we need a DoF, and while I had no problem with Gareth keeping us up the way he did, I don't want to see that being the main way we play football going forward, an element as variety fine.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 14:55]
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:56 - Jun 16 with 3684 viewsBoston

Footballs a rotten business.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Big news coming out of the club? on 15:56 - Jun 16 with 3285 viewsderbyhoop

I love the way that so many experts understand, fully, the role of the DOF and know how many people are out there that are highly experienced in the role.

The failing of Les seems to rest on the failure to bring through people from the Youth setup into first team. Apart from Eze, Chair, Lumley, Furlong. The fact that we've had 13 players poached by bigger clubs is ignored.

I dont think Les should be blamed for the collapse in form, and value, of Dickie or Willock.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:06 - Jun 16 with 3205 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Big news coming out of the club? on 15:56 - Jun 16 by derbyhoop

I love the way that so many experts understand, fully, the role of the DOF and know how many people are out there that are highly experienced in the role.

The failing of Les seems to rest on the failure to bring through people from the Youth setup into first team. Apart from Eze, Chair, Lumley, Furlong. The fact that we've had 13 players poached by bigger clubs is ignored.

I dont think Les should be blamed for the collapse in form, and value, of Dickie or Willock.

This debate goes round and round in perpetuity.

Whatever he is and isn't responsible for... We're not very good at football at the moment. And the best we've been at football since Les has been directing it is average.

You can list all the excuses you like and other people could counter them with other perceived failings; the simple fact is a lot more clubs are better than us at football than when he got here and a good number of them are better than us with a comparable or even lower budget.
Big news coming out of the club? on 16:28 - Jun 16 with 3065 viewsMatch82

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:52 - Jun 16 by QPROslo

Big thanks to Les! His only big mistake and perhaps it wasnt his decision, was pushing Warburton out. For what it's worth I'm hoping we get Warburton back in as DoF. Hope him departing Hammers so recently is no coincidence. He's got experience with that kind of job, he says he wants this type of job, he knows the Club, and would hopefully maintain our footballing style throughout the Club. I'm sure we need a DoF, and while I had no problem with Gareth keeping us up the way he did, I don't want to see that being the main way we play football going forward, an element as variety fine.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 14:55]

Agree partially, I like Warburton and think he did a good job here but I think the actual wrong decision was earlier. I think the mistake they made was backing Warburton financially with everything he asked for - the fact we did that set us back financially and we really needed to then be pushing for promotion to make it a worthwhile investment. So they backed themselves into a corner where we really needed to be promoted to make that the right decision - he maybe had some wiggle room if we had got into the playoffs but missing them altogether I can see why they parted ways.
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:34 - Jun 16 with 3020 viewsRangersw12

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:06 - Jun 16 by Padulas_Shampoo

This debate goes round and round in perpetuity.

Whatever he is and isn't responsible for... We're not very good at football at the moment. And the best we've been at football since Les has been directing it is average.

You can list all the excuses you like and other people could counter them with other perceived failings; the simple fact is a lot more clubs are better than us at football than when he got here and a good number of them are better than us with a comparable or even lower budget.

Simple fact is we have been average at best under these owners and that's where the real problem lies
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:07 - Jun 16 with 2785 viewssilverbirch

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:53 - Jun 16 by PhilmyRs

This.

A year or two ago I thought we were in a good space - signings seemed to be the right sort of players, we were creating a club that was about player development, being a club that wants to play football on the deck, encouraging a certain type of player to come to us and being a stepping stone for players to go onto bigger and better things. As much as it pains me, Brentford were what we wanted to be.

So, while on the right path we clearly needed to address our lack of resilience, and how when things went against us, we crumbled. In October last year we were top of the league playing some amazing Football. Under Warbs before we imploded we were right in the mix. Before Covid hit we were flying. We weren't a club that needed to rip everything up, start again and hand the keys to Gareth Ainsworth. We needed to keep the vision and philosophy, we just needed to get the right balance/mix of player to address the weaknesses.

For me, we're going to undo all our hard work over the last few years by committing to major changes in philosophy, style of play, type of club we want to be , which I just don't think were required. Change yes, 100%, but not knocking it all down and starting again.

Depressing day, because regardless of what you thought of Les, he was someone that showed respect to our club, served us with distinction as a player and was the best number 9 I've seen for Rangers. For me, he also had the right vision for the type of club we should be, but I accept he wasn't as successful as I'd hoped in bringing the vision to life. At least the Cricket is on, as I've had enough of Rangers tbh.

But we did need to avoid relegation, though.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:11 - Jun 16 with 2735 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 16:34 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

Simple fact is we have been average at best under these owners and that's where the real problem lies

But why are ypou giving the ownersthe flak directly for on the pitch performances?
They make their appointments based on what they see, measured against whatever metrics they're using during the formal interview process, exactly as they would do in their individual core businesses.
You can say that maybe there should have been a more rigorous appraisal system in place for Les, but for all we know they may well have been setting him some specific key metrics to deliver.
In any case, you can't make a direct link between on the pitch performace and the ownership when you've got a DoF and to an extent a CEO in place who are there specifically to oversee and manage that process on a day-to-day basis.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:28 - Jun 16 with 2630 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

These owners have won a promotion to the Premier League without Ferdinand. Since they appointed and trusted Ferdinand, we've regressed to relegation favourites to league one.

These are actual facts. Not opinions labelled as facts as yours are.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:30 - Jun 16 with 2593 viewsRangersw12

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:28 - Jun 16 by Padulas_Shampoo

These owners have won a promotion to the Premier League without Ferdinand. Since they appointed and trusted Ferdinand, we've regressed to relegation favourites to league one.

These are actual facts. Not opinions labelled as facts as yours are.

It's also a fact they did it by cheating something that we're still paying for now
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:33 - Jun 16 with 2578 viewsDejR_vu

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:06 - Jun 16 by LordPork

Jeepers,

the one thing that strikes you reading this thread is the pure number of ex Professional DOF's saying their piece.

Everyone appears to be an expert and is giving little, if any leeway to the backdrop to what's had to be done, with the budget, demands of the manager, ( at the time ) the Board and coaches, against a backdrop of how the teams performing, injuries and League position.

In short: It ain't as easy as some are making out here.

If you have to be a former professional in the field to offer an opinion, this message board may as well close down tonight. It would be full of threads with one contributor talking to themselves.

I would suggest it was difficult at Luton and Brentford and all the other clubs that we were miles ahead of who have overtaken us since LF walked through the door. Arguably, some had bigger challenges than ours, who would have swapped places with Luton 10 years ago?

I don’t buy ‘it’s difficult’. If it’s too difficult, move aside and let someone used to dealing with difficult situations and succeeding take the reins. This is supposed to be elite level sport, it should be treated as such, the club should employee elite level people to run it.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:41 - Jun 16 with 2525 viewsGaryT

At Best Be Average

There must be an acronym in there somewhere.

Hasta Mañana Fernando, you Super (Tr)hooper.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:55 - Jun 16 with 2431 viewsdistortR

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:45 - Jun 16 by connell10

Charlie by all accounts was treated bad by the club ...sooooo.

By his twitter accounts, maybe.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:57 - Jun 16 with 2425 viewsed_83

Big news coming out of the club? on 15:56 - Jun 16 by derbyhoop

Of the four players you've mentioned, only Furlong really came through our youth setup. Lumley joined at 16 after being released by Spurs, Eze and Chair joined us at 19.

Of course EPPP is a curse, but it's literally the DOF's job to find a way to keep us progressing despite those restrictions. A club of our size absolutely has to be bringing through a couple of youth prospects a season and using them to replace players we sell for big money. Plenty of other clubs manage it, but it's fairly clear that we haven't: that's ultimately Les' responsibility.

Same with transfers: it's not Les' fault that our form has tanked, but it is his responsibility to ensure our transfer activity keeps the club moving forward. We needed to sell Dickie and Willock a year or two ago, when their stock was highest, but instead we clung onto them to chase promotion. We all understand the challenges in trying to keep a team like QPR competitive in a league like this, and hindsight is 20/20, but that was obviously the wrong choice. Maximising transfer value from our players is a key part of what a DOF should be doing, but Les has repeatedly fallen short on this.

I actually think Les has done a decent job overall in incredibly difficult circumstances, and that a lot of the criticism he's faced has been completely unfair. But you don't need to be an expert or a professional football executive to look at our finances, the state of the playing squad, and our position in the league, and conclude that we've stalled in several areas, and are regressing in others, or to conclude that if you're ultimately responsible for that as a DOF then your position basically becomes untenable.
Big news coming out of the club? on 17:59 - Jun 16 with 2405 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:57 - Jun 16 by ed_83

Of the four players you've mentioned, only Furlong really came through our youth setup. Lumley joined at 16 after being released by Spurs, Eze and Chair joined us at 19.

Of course EPPP is a curse, but it's literally the DOF's job to find a way to keep us progressing despite those restrictions. A club of our size absolutely has to be bringing through a couple of youth prospects a season and using them to replace players we sell for big money. Plenty of other clubs manage it, but it's fairly clear that we haven't: that's ultimately Les' responsibility.

Same with transfers: it's not Les' fault that our form has tanked, but it is his responsibility to ensure our transfer activity keeps the club moving forward. We needed to sell Dickie and Willock a year or two ago, when their stock was highest, but instead we clung onto them to chase promotion. We all understand the challenges in trying to keep a team like QPR competitive in a league like this, and hindsight is 20/20, but that was obviously the wrong choice. Maximising transfer value from our players is a key part of what a DOF should be doing, but Les has repeatedly fallen short on this.

I actually think Les has done a decent job overall in incredibly difficult circumstances, and that a lot of the criticism he's faced has been completely unfair. But you don't need to be an expert or a professional football executive to look at our finances, the state of the playing squad, and our position in the league, and conclude that we've stalled in several areas, and are regressing in others, or to conclude that if you're ultimately responsible for that as a DOF then your position basically becomes untenable.

Superb post.
Big news coming out of the club? on 18:50 - Jun 16 with 2186 viewsFDC

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:02 - Jun 16 by robith

My main opposition to Steve Gallen becoming DOF is how intolerable his brother is going to be on that podcast

Genuinely interested to see how all-knowing Kevin handles things if things deteriorate with his brother as DoF
Big news coming out of the club? on 20:22 - Jun 16 with 1945 viewsDejR_vu

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:11 - Jun 16 by Match82

Take a look at the squad, wage bill and atmosphere that Ferdinand inherited.
There is a reason we were buying players like the ones you mentioned, we were in an awful place financially and the club was rotten to the core.

He made some mistakes like anyone does but if you go back to this time 2 years ago, can you genuinely tell me that the club wasn't in the healthiest and most sustainable state it had been in for decades? We had the wage bill under control, were bringing youth players through in the first time in forever, were playing attractive easy to watch football and winning games.

Since then it's gone south and that's why he isn't here, not arguing that. But if you look at the tenure his time here most of it was a success.

Look at the state of the squad, wage bill and atmosphere he’s leaving behind. We’re having to chuck anything not nailed down overboard to try and avoid a P&S breach. Same problems we’re just doing it a league lower. He was supposed to avoid all those things and achieve the opposite.

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:36 - Jun 16 with 1877 viewsbaz_qpr

I'm not sure we should be modelling ourselves on Charlton a club that should be in the championship but has spent 6 out of the last 7 being mediocre in league one and changes managers like socks
Big news coming out of the club? on 20:41 - Jun 16 with 1834 viewsDejR_vu

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:36 - Jun 16 by baz_qpr

I'm not sure we should be modelling ourselves on Charlton a club that should be in the championship but has spent 6 out of the last 7 being mediocre in league one and changes managers like socks

The owners should be going on bended knee to Warburton. He’s perfect for the DoF role and, despite being cr@pped on from a great height, probably mature enough to draw a line under it. I can’t see these owners swallowing their pride though. I suspect they will just fvck it up again, just like they fvck everything else up, appoint another puppet and carry on, on the relentless march to oblivion.

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:50 - Jun 16 with 4877 viewsNed_Kennedys

Big news coming out of the club? on 20:41 - Jun 16 by DejR_vu

The owners should be going on bended knee to Warburton. He’s perfect for the DoF role and, despite being cr@pped on from a great height, probably mature enough to draw a line under it. I can’t see these owners swallowing their pride though. I suspect they will just fvck it up again, just like they fvck everything else up, appoint another puppet and carry on, on the relentless march to oblivion.

All the best for the future to Les: best QPR striker I have seen, his record as DOF doesn’t look great though and he has stayed for a good few years too many I think.
Big news coming out of the club? on 21:11 - Jun 16 with 4751 viewsAntti_Heinola

Big news coming out of the club? on 17:57 - Jun 16 by ed_83

Top post, although would disagree with a few things. How is having a player at 16 not coming through the system?!
Eze and Chair were both 17 when they joined not 19. These are boys. They developed hugely in that time, it's ludicrous to write that off.

And not one single fan ever said we should have sold Willock or Dickie a year or two ago. Not one. A lot of very smart hindsight going on these last few days.

Bare bones.

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:18 - Jun 16 with 4724 viewsDejR_vu

Big news coming out of the club? on 21:11 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

Top post, although would disagree with a few things. How is having a player at 16 not coming through the system?!
Eze and Chair were both 17 when they joined not 19. These are boys. They developed hugely in that time, it's ludicrous to write that off.

And not one single fan ever said we should have sold Willock or Dickie a year or two ago. Not one. A lot of very smart hindsight going on these last few days.

The DoF should have more of a clue than the fanbase, therein lies the problem.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024