Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 58371 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:17 - Jun 16 with 2777 viewsSheffieldHoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:11 - Jun 16 by Match82

Take a look at the squad, wage bill and atmosphere that Ferdinand inherited.
There is a reason we were buying players like the ones you mentioned, we were in an awful place financially and the club was rotten to the core.

He made some mistakes like anyone does but if you go back to this time 2 years ago, can you genuinely tell me that the club wasn't in the healthiest and most sustainable state it had been in for decades? We had the wage bill under control, were bringing youth players through in the first time in forever, were playing attractive easy to watch football and winning games.

Since then it's gone south and that's why he isn't here, not arguing that. But if you look at the tenure his time here most of it was a success.

Don't disagree the club was rotten to the core in 2015 - But I don't really see that Les was all that influential in changing that. If it was Les - It took him a solid 6 and a half years, and the turnaround only lasted 12 months before we went back into decline.

I think the club was in the position it was 2 years ago because of MW. Not LF. Subsequent events back that up IMO.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 13:18]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:18 - Jun 16 with 2793 viewsslmrstid

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:11 - Jun 16 by Match82

Take a look at the squad, wage bill and atmosphere that Ferdinand inherited.
There is a reason we were buying players like the ones you mentioned, we were in an awful place financially and the club was rotten to the core.

He made some mistakes like anyone does but if you go back to this time 2 years ago, can you genuinely tell me that the club wasn't in the healthiest and most sustainable state it had been in for decades? We had the wage bill under control, were bringing youth players through in the first time in forever, were playing attractive easy to watch football and winning games.

Since then it's gone south and that's why he isn't here, not arguing that. But if you look at the tenure his time here most of it was a success.

I don't think there's a black and white answer as to whether Ferdinand's time at the club was a success. Overall it depends on what his objectives from the Board were, something none of us know.

Was it...
- To get the club established as a top flight club? Fail (though also probably not realistic!)
- Get the club on a more sustainable footing? I'd say success, up until the last 18 months, but then the decisions to go big on wages is more a Board one than Ferdinand in my view so they should carry the can for that.
- Stop the club tumbling straight through to League One like many other bigger clubs than us have? Success.
- Develop a successful youth system? More fail than success to my mind.
- Improve the club's transfer strategy? Mixed

And there's lots of other metrics you could speculate on and give an answer of "Fail" or "Success".
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:19 - Jun 16 with 2758 viewsBenny_the_Ball

There's a lot to unpick here (good luck with that Clive) but when you boil it down, it's the correct decision (albeit one that reverses an incorrect decision to hire him in the first place - more on that later).

First, it should be said that Les was a great player and remains a legend of the club. Nothing that he did during his time as HoFO/DoF diminishes or detracts from this legacy.

However, if you strip away the playing legacy and judge him purely on his performance as DoF, I think it's fair to say that he underwhelmed. The fundamental remit was to become a sustainable club that develops a conveyor belt of players who are sold on at profit. Eze aside, the club has largely failed to deliver on this objective. A number of players who were sellable assets have been kept on too long and allowed to enter the final year of their contracts whilst simultaneously losing form. Les also presided over the debacle of Warren Farm before the club finally landed Heston (for which he deserves some credit and will quite rightly attend the opening ceremony).

Now, I'm not suggesting that Les was solely at fault, the problems within the club are varied and run deep. However, ultimately he took on the role fully accepting responsibility and accountability for resolving these issues and moving the club's football operations forward. He's been given a fair crack of the whip (8 years) and will no doubt move into another high profile role.

For me, questions need to asked of the owners/board. Firstly, I still don't understand why Les was offered the job in the first place as he was short on qualifications and credentials for the role. Les had no prior experience and by his own admission in the first few years he was learning on the job. This is simply unacceptable in a directorial role. I can't help but feel that the board leveraged Les' reputation as a playing legend to appease fan disenchantment at the time. Now that this goodwill has run out, so too has Les' time in the job. Now I accept that this last statement may be slight conjecture on my part but whatever the truth if the club decides to continue with the DoF model, it's imperative that the board hire someone with relevant experience and a successful track record, and then enable him to do his job.

Next, I'm still confused as to which direction the board wants to take the club. Are we a development club or not? Is GA a first team coach or a manager? Who is responsible for player recruitment and retention? How far ahead is it planning for? What are the goals of this plan? The reason I'm confused is because of the number of contradictory decisions that this board made during Les' tenure. It sets a mission to buy low, sell high only to commit significant expenditure on the likes of Balogun, JoJo and Austin (who, ironically, appears to be revelling in Les' departure). It puts a DoF structure in place to move away from the model of 'what manager wants, manager gets', only to allow Beale to hire his babes. It sets its heart on playing total football with Warburton and Beale, only to hit reverse gear and hire Ainsworth. To be clear, this is not an indictment on Gareth who I obviously want to succeed, more an indication of how this board flits between ideals and doesn't commit wholeheartedly to one. For once, can it please be clear about its long-term objectives, commit to the plan, and entrust and empower credible, qualified individuals to deliver.

In the meantime, Les, thanks for the memories. Despite the drama of the last few years, you go with my best wishes.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:20 - Jun 16 with 2755 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:14 - Jun 16 by ParkRoyalR

According to Dave Mac,

Joe Gallen spent many years coaching at QPR - did he?

Yes:
1998—2004 Queens Park Rangers (youth team coach)
2004—2007 Queens Park Rangers] (Head of Youth Development)
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:20 - Jun 16 with 2753 viewsthorpebankR

We need someone with the right credentials as DOF and a thorough interview process. Charlton fans I know not exactly enamoured with Gallens dealings at the club.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:21 - Jun 16 with 2734 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Big news coming out of the club? on 12:51 - Jun 16 by SheffieldHoop

I don't really get how Ferdinand did a good job as DOF. Came in Feb 2015, club in prem but certain to be relegated so nothing he could do about that.

He then has 3 years of parachute payments, which are spent in mid-table championship, paying very good money to very average footballers. Didn't even make the playoffs. In these years we got overtaken by Bournemouth, Brighton, Middlesbrough. We're buying players like Chery, Luongo, N'gbakoto....also Ben Gladwin, Connor Washington & Sean Goss. Generally still buying high and selling low.

Then we go into the no-budget last-minute panic loan & we need to develop to survive years. Started every season in need of 3-4 loan signings. Usually got just about enough over the line to survive. But not challenging to win anything, bringing through a couple of players but also losing players on free transfers etc. But generally, moving in the right direction-ish. If you ignore signings like Alex Baptiste. In this time we get overtaken by Brentford, Fulham, Leeds, Sheff U

Then we have the uptick under MW, not making the playoffs again, the appointment of MB, and we can all remember how it went from there. In this time we get overtaken by Luton, Coventry, Sunderland.....Who've all spent considerable periods in Leagues 1 & 2 while Les has been in post.

Sakura pretty much nails it as usual - This stuff about "Agree with your point but not the way you made it" is drivel. Les Ferdinand last played for QPR 28 years ago. In the same way a lot of fans don't get the obsession with Rodney, or Stanley, because they came before their time.....You're going to start seeing that more and more with Les too.

Re: the stuff about CA.....Charlie Austin is this generation's Les Ferdinand. Always worth bearing in mind when looking at Twitter.

Get what you're saying, my son doesn't have a lot of time for Les, but he should still be shown some respect. No one can doubt he loves QPR and that he is a club legend.

Charlie Austin should show a little more class. One scored for us over numerous seasons in the Premier league, played numerous times for England and stayed at least 2 seasons longer when he could have left.
The other, well, did none of that.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:22 - Jun 16 with 2725 viewsNov77

Steve gallen? Why is it when we cast our net it always lands at our feet.

By only looking for people with some link to the club we exclude 99% of the talent out there. Another appointment to appease the fans like Ainsworth clearly was?

Les is saying he resigned because he didn’t agree with some of the transfer targets. Surely he would have known what they would be when Ainsworth was appointed, so if les has no say on who is appointed, who is making the decisions? Amit? Rueben? People with no football knowledge.

Today changes nothing, club is a shambles.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:22 - Jun 16 with 2704 views1JD

Big news coming out of the club? on 12:30 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

You clearly haven't bothered either looking at the way Wycombe have played in the last couple of seasons in particular, listened to what opposing managers have had to say about the job that GA and RD have done there, watched what players who have gone on and achieved significant things have had to say about the impact that they've had on them, or in fact read or listened to anything that would mean you might have to change your lazy, ill-thought out opinion.
Its one thing to have bothered doing that and disagree with what I and several others think.
Its quite another to just show yourself up by making ignorant comments without giving any kind of evidence to back your opinion up.

Are you related to GA or just have some genuine man-love E15?! People are free to be critical of Gareth Ainsworth without being asked for evidence. We have all seen what has been served up at QPR with our own eyes and listened to GAs interviews. You may enjoy the style, which requires a certain type of player, and his comments, which I often find bewildering, but others, myself included, are not fans. And that’s fine. As for giving him a chance to “evolve”, I have personally seen and witnessed GAs Wycombe team with my own eyes for years. I was born in the area and regularly attend Adam’s Park with mates of mine who are ST holders when QPR are not playing or away.

I have seen countless games over the years, over 50 times, and the reputation GA has in the game as a long ball, direct proponent is there for a reason. GA himself revels in it, and has said himself he won’t change for anyone as per countless articles in the Bucks Free Press over the years. Whilst it is true the Wycombe team that played in the championship and the season just gone had gone “less direct”, I think the key context is that it was coming from a base of being one of the most direct teams in the entire football league. GA has a certain style, and as the saying goes, a leopard does not change its spots.An older comparison is, Big Sam, Tony Pulis, and a more recent comparison is that of Valerian Ismaels Barnsley.
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:25 - Jun 16 with 2648 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:20 - Jun 16 by thorpebankR

We need someone with the right credentials as DOF and a thorough interview process. Charlton fans I know not exactly enamoured with Gallens dealings at the club.

Harsh, considering what he was dealing with in terms of the madness surrounding the ownership of the club, and how little cash they've had to work with even since then.
Another case of fans with unrealistic expectations?
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:29 - Jun 16 with 2585 viewsbaz_qpr

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:33 - Jun 16 with 2503 viewsSheffieldHoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:21 - Jun 16 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Get what you're saying, my son doesn't have a lot of time for Les, but he should still be shown some respect. No one can doubt he loves QPR and that he is a club legend.

Charlie Austin should show a little more class. One scored for us over numerous seasons in the Premier league, played numerous times for England and stayed at least 2 seasons longer when he could have left.
The other, well, did none of that.

I think this thread proves how much respect the fans of this club have for Les. The fact we're still so thankful to somebody we've been paying very handsomely for a job that all of us would love to do - who has arguably overseen a long period of decline - It's all a bit cultish if you step back for a moment. But we're football fans, specifically QPR fans, and this is what we do for our cult legends.

Les Fardinand was playing in a team with Gallen, Holloway, Wilkins, Wilson, MacDonald. Proper leadership, during a time when football was mostly about football. Charlie Austin had to play with Junior Hoilett, Modibo Maiga, Leroy Fer, during a time when football was approaching the peak "Money talks" period.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:34 - Jun 16 with 2507 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:22 - Jun 16 by 1JD

Are you related to GA or just have some genuine man-love E15?! People are free to be critical of Gareth Ainsworth without being asked for evidence. We have all seen what has been served up at QPR with our own eyes and listened to GAs interviews. You may enjoy the style, which requires a certain type of player, and his comments, which I often find bewildering, but others, myself included, are not fans. And that’s fine. As for giving him a chance to “evolve”, I have personally seen and witnessed GAs Wycombe team with my own eyes for years. I was born in the area and regularly attend Adam’s Park with mates of mine who are ST holders when QPR are not playing or away.

I have seen countless games over the years, over 50 times, and the reputation GA has in the game as a long ball, direct proponent is there for a reason. GA himself revels in it, and has said himself he won’t change for anyone as per countless articles in the Bucks Free Press over the years. Whilst it is true the Wycombe team that played in the championship and the season just gone had gone “less direct”, I think the key context is that it was coming from a base of being one of the most direct teams in the entire football league. GA has a certain style, and as the saying goes, a leopard does not change its spots.An older comparison is, Big Sam, Tony Pulis, and a more recent comparison is that of Valerian Ismaels Barnsley.

You and I clearly aren't going to agree on this. but did you listen to Richard Dobson's Open All R's interview, where he positioned himself as a purist, and explained that they've cut their cloth according to what's been available to them, and what they've needed to do to get results quickly?
You need to put what you've seen in the context of what the financial situation is at Wycombe, and imagine that both GA and RD will see what they're able to work with at Heston this season as an upgrade to that.
Both GA and RD have expressly said that its "horses for courses", so I would suggest you can't draw any conclusions until you've seen how the squad shapes up over the coming weeks.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:37 - Jun 16 with 2455 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:22 - Jun 16 by Nov77

By only looking for people with some link to the club we exclude 99% of the talent out there. Another appointment to appease the fans like Ainsworth clearly was?

Les is saying he resigned because he didn’t agree with some of the transfer targets. Surely he would have known what they would be when Ainsworth was appointed, so if les has no say on who is appointed, who is making the decisions? Amit? Rueben? People with no football knowledge.

"Les is saying he resigned because he didn’t agree with some of the transfer targets."

Les hasn't said that. WLS are speculating this.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:42 - Jun 16 with 2399 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:37 - Jun 16 by Benny_the_Ball

"Les is saying he resigned because he didn’t agree with some of the transfer targets."

Les hasn't said that. WLS are speculating this.

Except that he clearly isn't going to wash his dirty linen in public, is he?
i think we should give WLS some credit, as discussed earlier today.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:50 - Jun 16 with 2305 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:22 - Jun 16 by Nov77

Or Steve Gallen could be a shrewd appointment based on the crap he's had to deal with at Charlton, and also having had a working relationship with GA previously at a club that's extremely close to both of their hearts.

As said earlier, why do we have to throw sh*t at people who have done nothing else but continually give their best to this club, even with little or no support from the club hierarchy? Raheem Sterling to name just one has consistently had nothing but praise for SG, and for him to deal with the madness he4's had over several years at Charlton, and still keep his sanity and enthusiasm for the game intact is also quite significant, I would suggest.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:50 - Jun 16 with 2284 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:42 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

Except that he clearly isn't going to wash his dirty linen in public, is he?
i think we should give WLS some credit, as discussed earlier today.

Oh, how convenient. Until I see or hear Les say it, I take journalistic opinion with a large pinch of salt. In the meantime, I said my piece above.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 13:53]
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:51 - Jun 16 with 2263 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:19 - Jun 16 by Benny_the_Ball

There's a lot to unpick here (good luck with that Clive) but when you boil it down, it's the correct decision (albeit one that reverses an incorrect decision to hire him in the first place - more on that later).

First, it should be said that Les was a great player and remains a legend of the club. Nothing that he did during his time as HoFO/DoF diminishes or detracts from this legacy.

However, if you strip away the playing legacy and judge him purely on his performance as DoF, I think it's fair to say that he underwhelmed. The fundamental remit was to become a sustainable club that develops a conveyor belt of players who are sold on at profit. Eze aside, the club has largely failed to deliver on this objective. A number of players who were sellable assets have been kept on too long and allowed to enter the final year of their contracts whilst simultaneously losing form. Les also presided over the debacle of Warren Farm before the club finally landed Heston (for which he deserves some credit and will quite rightly attend the opening ceremony).

Now, I'm not suggesting that Les was solely at fault, the problems within the club are varied and run deep. However, ultimately he took on the role fully accepting responsibility and accountability for resolving these issues and moving the club's football operations forward. He's been given a fair crack of the whip (8 years) and will no doubt move into another high profile role.

For me, questions need to asked of the owners/board. Firstly, I still don't understand why Les was offered the job in the first place as he was short on qualifications and credentials for the role. Les had no prior experience and by his own admission in the first few years he was learning on the job. This is simply unacceptable in a directorial role. I can't help but feel that the board leveraged Les' reputation as a playing legend to appease fan disenchantment at the time. Now that this goodwill has run out, so too has Les' time in the job. Now I accept that this last statement may be slight conjecture on my part but whatever the truth if the club decides to continue with the DoF model, it's imperative that the board hire someone with relevant experience and a successful track record, and then enable him to do his job.

Next, I'm still confused as to which direction the board wants to take the club. Are we a development club or not? Is GA a first team coach or a manager? Who is responsible for player recruitment and retention? How far ahead is it planning for? What are the goals of this plan? The reason I'm confused is because of the number of contradictory decisions that this board made during Les' tenure. It sets a mission to buy low, sell high only to commit significant expenditure on the likes of Balogun, JoJo and Austin (who, ironically, appears to be revelling in Les' departure). It puts a DoF structure in place to move away from the model of 'what manager wants, manager gets', only to allow Beale to hire his babes. It sets its heart on playing total football with Warburton and Beale, only to hit reverse gear and hire Ainsworth. To be clear, this is not an indictment on Gareth who I obviously want to succeed, more an indication of how this board flits between ideals and doesn't commit wholeheartedly to one. For once, can it please be clear about its long-term objectives, commit to the plan, and entrust and empower credible, qualified individuals to deliver.

In the meantime, Les, thanks for the memories. Despite the drama of the last few years, you go with my best wishes.

Half a million pounds a year to oversee an operation that scored five goals at the Loft end all season and couldn't find a player to replace Dykes for a few weeks. Nice work if you can get it.
Big news coming out of the club? on 13:52 - Jun 16 with 2258 viewsDejR_vu

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:34 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

You and I clearly aren't going to agree on this. but did you listen to Richard Dobson's Open All R's interview, where he positioned himself as a purist, and explained that they've cut their cloth according to what's been available to them, and what they've needed to do to get results quickly?
You need to put what you've seen in the context of what the financial situation is at Wycombe, and imagine that both GA and RD will see what they're able to work with at Heston this season as an upgrade to that.
Both GA and RD have expressly said that its "horses for courses", so I would suggest you can't draw any conclusions until you've seen how the squad shapes up over the coming weeks.

We’ll find out soon enough. It strikes me that the challenges he faced at Wycombe are the same as the ones he’s facing here, just at a higher level on a bigger scale. I’m expecting him to meet those challenges in the same way.

I think what sets managers apart is their ability to read the game as it unfolds and make changes in shape and personnel. RD speaks well but there are enough good coaches around, with all the licences under the sun, to put on good training sessions. The question is, can he/they apply that within an evolving game. Looking at how rigid we were last season, how slow GA was to make changes, and his propensity to make like for like switches makes me think he’s going to struggle. There are good managers at this level. I don’t think this team spirit approach, on its own, is going to be enough. It’s an important ingredient in successful sides, but it’s one ingredient. It might be enough in L1, but we’re going to need more than that here otherwise we’re in for another torrid season.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:54 - Jun 16 with 2237 viewsterryb

Big news coming out of the club? on 12:16 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

i think Steve Gallen would be a very sound appointment, and given that he was heading up the youth side when GA was caretaker manager, most likely means that the relationship they have is solid.

Also, SG has had less than a pot to piss in at Charlton, so is another one for whm our belt-tightening this season will not phase him in any way.

On what grounds do you claim that "most likely they have a solid relationship"? Being at a club at the same time doesn't even show that they liked each other. It has been known many times that individuals don't get on. Not that I have any idea if they did or not!"

I do believe that my recall of Gareth's caretaker time at the club is rather different than yours! All I can remember is him standing about waving his arms & making the substitutions that Briatore demanded!
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:00 - Jun 16 with 2145 views1JD

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:34 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

I just think a lot of where you are coming from is based on wishful thinking and hopes for the future, whereas the actual evidence both at Wycombe and QPR so far, paints a very different and far more realistic picture of the direction QPR is going in under GAs tenure. The money is somewhat irrelevant - GA has certain ideals, philosophies and beliefs that trump funds. And for someone like me who has seen and read so much of what GA is about over the years, I absolutely do not need wait for any conclusion. 11 years at Wycombe as a local lad is more than enough thanks and I know exactly what is coming!
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:02 - Jun 16 with 2113 viewsThird_Division_South

Don’t forget, Steve Gallen got £2M out of us for Bonne. Handy skills to have for a selling club.
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:02 - Jun 16 with 2106 viewsrobith

My main opposition to Steve Gallen becoming DOF is how intolerable his brother is going to be on that podcast
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:04 - Jun 16 with 4243 viewsdaveB

Big news coming out of the club? on 13:14 - Jun 16 by ParkRoyalR

According to Dave Mac,

Joe Gallen spent many years coaching at QPR - did he?

Yes he was at QPR in the early 2000's, left when Jackett got a managers job and started working with him
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:06 - Jun 16 with 4209 viewsLordPork

Jeepers,

the one thing that strikes you reading this thread is the pure number of ex Professional DOF's saying their piece.

Everyone appears to be an expert and is giving little, if any leeway to the backdrop to what's had to be done, with the budget, demands of the manager, ( at the time ) the Board and coaches, against a backdrop of how the teams performing, injuries and League position.

In short: It ain't as easy as some are making out here.
Big news coming out of the club? on 14:07 - Jun 16 with 4203 viewsdaveB

Big news coming out of the club? on 14:02 - Jun 16 by Third_Division_South

Don’t forget, Steve Gallen got £2M out of us for Bonne. Handy skills to have for a selling club.

and then signed him again
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024