Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 46734 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:40 - Aug 3 with 2277 viewsRanger_Things

Another gold in rowing.

Men’s road race today. Some seriously strong teams out there and it would seem mad to look past the Belgians with Remco and van Aert but I actually think an unfancied rider may win it. Hopefully one of our boys but I have a feeling there may be a shock and Laporte or one of his French compatriot’s may take gold.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:11 - Aug 3 with 2231 viewsBklynRanger

This new false start rule seems ludicrous - no idea when it changed tbh.

There's such a fine margin with these starts, to be disqualified after one of them seems excessive.

The lad Azu just spent longer arguing to run under protest than the previous 2 false starts system would have taken - seems more disruptive to everyone, maybe I'm missing something.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:14 - Aug 3 with 2133 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:53 - Aug 2 by Ned_Kennedys

Felt sorry for the Irish mixed 4 x 400 relay team: they have been one of the top teams on the world recently but one of the girls decided not to run as she hopes to do well in the individual 400 and they failed to qualify for the final despite a brilliant effort by Sharlene Mawdsley in the last leg to catch up the top three.

This really bothers me also but I can see both sides of the coin .
Ireland won the Euros in June with Rashidat Adeleke coming in 2 seconds faster than yesterdays time so she basically won it for them.
Despite saying she is incredibly proud to be Irish and represent Ireland she passes on this event to focue on the Individual 400m to try for a medal.
The individual 400 starts in 4 days time why not run both it seems a bit too selfish to me but its her choice .
On the flip side the US team ran 2 seconds faster yesterday than Irelands winning time in June with Adeleke so making the podium was a long shot but they would have easily made the final at least
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:23 - Aug 3 with 2112 viewsterryb

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:11 - Aug 3 by BklynRanger

This new false start rule seems ludicrous - no idea when it changed tbh.

There's such a fine margin with these starts, to be disqualified after one of them seems excessive.

The lad Azu just spent longer arguing to run under protest than the previous 2 false starts system would have taken - seems more disruptive to everyone, maybe I'm missing something.

I don't think it's new as the false start rule changed in 2009 & has been in existence for all of his running career.

It didn't look as if had any defence whatsoever.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:48 - Aug 3 with 2055 viewsBklynRanger

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:23 - Aug 3 by terryb

I don't think it's new as the false start rule changed in 2009 & has been in existence for all of his running career.

2009. Jesus. New to me then I suppose. Still seems daft
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:54 - Aug 3 with 2039 viewsFredManRave

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:48 - Aug 3 by BklynRanger

2009. Jesus. New to me then I suppose. Still seems daft

You'll be posting about plastic bottle tops next.

Get with the times, man.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:04 - Aug 3 with 2015 viewsslmrstid

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:14 - Aug 3 by CLAREMAN1995

This really bothers me also but I can see both sides of the coin .
Ireland won the Euros in June with Rashidat Adeleke coming in 2 seconds faster than yesterdays time so she basically won it for them.
Despite saying she is incredibly proud to be Irish and represent Ireland she passes on this event to focue on the Individual 400m to try for a medal.
The individual 400 starts in 4 days time why not run both it seems a bit too selfish to me but its her choice .
On the flip side the US team ran 2 seconds faster yesterday than Irelands winning time in June with Adeleke so making the podium was a long shot but they would have easily made the final at least

Its elite athletes, they have to be selfish. I can understand it. Michael Johnson said himself last night he probably would have avoided it to focus on his individual races.

Perhaps all of the relays should take place once the individual events are done, would be less of an issue then.

Also, as I didn't post last night, was gutted for Beth Shriever. She just got completely shut out at the start, I wonder with it being a one-and-done race her rivals decided they had to close the gap to try and stop her running away and hope that they'd get a good run too.

Bit strange the BMX final is just one race, when all of the other rounds were three races to determine the winners to progress.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:11 - Aug 3 with 1980 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:04 - Aug 3 by slmrstid

Its elite athletes, they have to be selfish. I can understand it. Michael Johnson said himself last night he probably would have avoided it to focus on his individual races.

Perhaps all of the relays should take place once the individual events are done, would be less of an issue then.

Also, as I didn't post last night, was gutted for Beth Shriever. She just got completely shut out at the start, I wonder with it being a one-and-done race her rivals decided they had to close the gap to try and stop her running away and hope that they'd get a good run too.

Bit strange the BMX final is just one race, when all of the other rounds were three races to determine the winners to progress.

How about the windsurfing where the GB girl won most of the races and then it counts for nothing in a one off final. Joke of a format.

BMX is a bit of a lottery at the best of times, but if they did deliberately block her that's poor. Her stunning gold in Tokyo was one of the highlights of that Olympics.
Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:19 - Aug 3 with 1874 viewsQPR_Hibs

I think that Kayak Cross is my favourite new event.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:50 - Aug 3 with 1823 viewsNed_Kennedys

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:23 - Aug 3 by terryb

He clearly false started but other sprinters false started earlier and weren’t red flagged.
No consistency at all.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:53 - Aug 3 with 1816 viewsRanger_Things

Remco rewriting the history books in the road race. How could I doubt him! France silver and bronze though. What a race, the crowd was something else.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:16 - Aug 3 with 1752 viewsNed_Kennedys

Femke Bol: what an athlete. Miles behind the American in the last leg of the 4 x 400 Mixed relay and just tore past her. Really down to earth as well. National Record for GB for bronze too.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:33 - Aug 3 with 1724 viewsaston_hoop

Femke Bol was unbelievable.

Also Julien Alfred in the 100m, Saint Lucia's first ever Olympic medal and blew the field away

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:57 - Aug 3 with 1685 viewsSuperhoops2808

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:16 - Aug 3 by Ned_Kennedys

Femke Bol: what an athlete. Miles behind the American in the last leg of the 4 x 400 Mixed relay and just tore past her. Really down to earth as well. National Record for GB for bronze too.

Love that girl - Best runner I have seen in many years over 400

She wasn't too big to take part in the mixed relay and wanted a medal for HER country

Mrs Superhoops (who btw as you may recall is a runner) said, she wont catch the American girl - I said, just watch - Could watch her all day and as you say down to earth too

A Credit to the Dutch

On a side note, I said Dina Asher-Smith is the nearly girl and proven again tonight. Have not heard her latest excuse but will be interested to hear. I always said Daryll Neita was the one to watch and best performing GB girl since 1960 at the olympics. Well done
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:14 - Aug 3 with 1654 viewshantssi

Big up to Rhys McClenaghan on his pommel gold, unbelievable performance!
Commiserations to Max Whitlock who’s routine would normally have given him a medal.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:41 - Aug 3 with 1593 viewsNed_Kennedys

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:57 - Aug 3 by Superhoops2808

She wasn't too big to take part in the mixed relay and wanted a medal for HER country

Mrs Superhoops (who btw as you may recall is a runner) said, she wont catch the American girl - I said, just watch - Could watch her all day and as you say down to earth too

A Credit to the Dutch

On a side note, I said Dina Asher-Smith is the nearly girl and proven again tonight. Have not heard her latest excuse but will be interested to hear. I always said Daryll Neita was the one to watch and best performing GB girl since 1960 at the olympics. Well done

Harsh on Dina: has reached loads of finals over a number of years and competed with the best.
Has a load of medals to show what a great sprinter she is: not everyone can reach the very top.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 22:11 - Aug 3 with 1574 viewsQPR_Hibs

Brazil Women with Prestonesque levels of sh!thousery timewasting in the football QF.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:41 - Aug 4 with 1410 viewsChrisNW6

A Credit to the Dutch

Nearly girl? Have you seen her record, she's had a fantastic career and is Britain's most successful female sprinter ever. I don't think anyone expected her to medal in the 100m. Not making the final was dissappointing, hopefully both girls can get to the 200m final.

She's always been 0.2secs behind the worlds best, but has been Europe's best. Neita did really well and has been faster than Asher-Smith this season, so no surprise she was the fastest GB runner.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:00 - Aug 4 with 1391 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:41 - Aug 4 by ChrisNW6

Nearly girl? Have you seen her record, she's had a fantastic career and is Britain's most successful female sprinter ever. I don't think anyone expected her to medal in the 100m. Not making the final was dissappointing, hopefully both girls can get to the 200m final.

She's always been 0.2secs behind the worlds best, but has been Europe's best. Neita did really well and has been faster than Asher-Smith this season, so no surprise she was the fastest GB runner.

You've got to love the armchair critics haven't you. Its a massively tough sport to get to the top of which is why only Linford Christie has done it for GB in the last 50 odd years. You can't count Alan Wells in 1980 because the yanks boycotted.

She's world class but not amongst the very top few and there's certainly no shame in that.

Strange that someone might declare her not good enough but is ok to follow our lovable but rarely successful football club.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:08 - Aug 4 with 1351 viewsPlanetHonneywood

A Credit to the Dutch

Pretty sure she ran past me faster than the rest of the field to win a gold at the 2019 Worlds.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:53 - Aug 4 with 1265 viewsMalintabuk

My knowledge of hockey is perhaps not the greatest, but think the GB team may have thrown that one away... so shoot out misery is not the sole perogative of football... but we'll done India there
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:07 - Aug 4 with 1216 viewsderbyhoop

At breakfast, I was forced to watch the women's beach volleyball.
I struggle to see the attraction.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:41 - Aug 4 with 1169 viewsChrisNW6

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:07 - Aug 4 by derbyhoop

At breakfast, I was forced to watch the women's beach volleyball.
I struggle to see the attraction.

In Spain and following on 5live, Equestrian sounds bonkers but in with a shout of another gold. Somehow don't think the Beach Volleyball would be as goo on the radio but I'm sure Tony Livesy would do his best.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:27 - Aug 4 with 1075 viewsslmrstid

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:41 - Aug 4 by ChrisNW6

In Spain and following on 5live, Equestrian sounds bonkers but in with a shout of another gold. Somehow don't think the Beach Volleyball would be as goo on the radio but I'm sure Tony Livesy would do his best.

Its a shame regular volleyball hasn't featured at all on the BBC coverage so far, other than half a set I managed to see between Brazil and Japan. I know its because there's no British interest (same reason handball hasn't been seen at all) but it is quite an entertaining game to watch. As Beach Volleyball can be actually.

The mens hockey was disappointing but they haven't been in great form. Shame the feeds at the moment are showing golf and tennis - obviously everyone has different tastes but for me these sports hold little interest, I'd rather be watching the cycling!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:58 - Aug 4 with 1011 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:27 - Aug 4 by slmrstid

Its a shame regular volleyball hasn't featured at all on the BBC coverage so far, other than half a set I managed to see between Brazil and Japan. I know its because there's no British interest (same reason handball hasn't been seen at all) but it is quite an entertaining game to watch. As Beach Volleyball can be actually.

The mens hockey was disappointing but they haven't been in great form. Shame the feeds at the moment are showing golf and tennis - obviously everyone has different tastes but for me these sports hold little interest, I'd rather be watching the cycling!

I watched the handball on Eurosport, it deserved more coverage on the beeb.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024