Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 39109 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:21 - Aug 6 with 1998 viewsHayesender

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:19 - Aug 6 by Ned_Kennedys

Just watched the last GB boxer lose despite being up going into the final round.
Looked to my untrained eye that the Brit had the best of the final round and the commentators agreed but somehow the judges gave the whole contest to the Mexican.

Some dodgy sh1t going on: the IOC’s decision to appoint their own officials have made a bit of a mockery of proceedings. The fighters from Algeria and Taiwan are guaranteed medals in the women’s boxing as well.

Olympics boxing has to be the most corrupt event in history. Every four years it's the same

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 22:06 - Aug 6 with 1842 viewsRanger_Things

Similar conversations are going on in the skate community with most saying Sky should have had silver. I thought her run was better but admittedly I’m biased, having followed her career for years.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:41 - Aug 6 with 1732 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:41 - Aug 6 by Landshark

I feel the same about football, golf, tennis, basketball etc at the Olympics. I won't watch them at the Olympics. Olympics was about amateurs, I don't want to watch millionaires in competitions that are not the pinnacle of their sports.
I'd watch sports like skateboarding because it's not the kind of sport that's usually accessible to watch.

The US Basketball team is worth between 2.5 Billion up to 3.45 Billion while SUdan is worth 9 Million going off reports .Now we are all asking how is Sudan worth 9 million .
Its far beyond rediculous at this stage but if it was just amatures I guess nobody would watch or buy adds so its Pros or nothing.
Kellie Harrington won gold tonight for Ireland beating a Chinese fighter to defend her gold medal from Tokyo fair play to her .
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:51 - Aug 6 with 1721 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 22:06 - Aug 6 by Ranger_Things

Similar conversations are going on in the skate community with most saying Sky should have had silver. I thought her run was better but admittedly I’m biased, having followed her career for years.

She did very well having dislocated her shoulder only a few days ago.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 05:34 - Aug 7 with 1647 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:41 - Aug 6 by Landshark

I feel the same about football, golf, tennis, basketball etc at the Olympics. I won't watch them at the Olympics. Olympics was about amateurs, I don't want to watch millionaires in competitions that are not the pinnacle of their sports.
I'd watch sports like skateboarding because it's not the kind of sport that's usually accessible to watch.

At the back of my mind, I keep thinking that one day I'll be watching the Olympics on TV and the commentator will say, 'Coming up later, the heats of the mens 400m hurdles and decathlon shot putt, and at 7pm, Hamilton and Norris drive for GB in the first ever Olympics F1 final...'

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 07:23 - Aug 7 with 1544 viewsPaddyhoops

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:41 - Aug 6 by CLAREMAN1995

The US Basketball team is worth between 2.5 Billion up to 3.45 Billion while SUdan is worth 9 Million going off reports .Now we are all asking how is Sudan worth 9 million .
Its far beyond rediculous at this stage but if it was just amatures I guess nobody would watch or buy adds so its Pros or nothing.
Kellie Harrington won gold tonight for Ireland beating a Chinese fighter to defend her gold medal from Tokyo fair play to her .

Harrington lost the final round which I found baffling.
Thankfully I’d didn’t effect the result.
Felt for the English boxer . The Mexican looked dead on his feet in the final round. .
Strange decision .
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 07:41 - Aug 7 with 1502 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:51 - Aug 6 by SydneyRs

She did very well having dislocated her shoulder only a few days ago.

Sure did. I thought she was toast when she fell again on it in the heats but skateboarders are hard as nails.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 07:51 - Aug 7 with 1493 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 05:34 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

At the back of my mind, I keep thinking that one day I'll be watching the Olympics on TV and the commentator will say, 'Coming up later, the heats of the mens 400m hurdles and decathlon shot putt, and at 7pm, Hamilton and Norris drive for GB in the first ever Olympics F1 final...'

In the 90’s there was a Go Cart competition called the Elf Masters held in Paris. It was comprised of drivers from different motorsport disciplines in identical carts. I reckon it would make a cracking Olympic sport.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_Karting_Paris_Bercy
Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:35 - Aug 7 with 1457 viewsslmrstid

Race walking - a sport entirely derived around "how much can you cheat without getting caught?"

Saw a slow-mo video last week of the 20km race where they all had both feet off the ground (ie running). I know the judging is by "naked eye" but that just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Can't take it seriously!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:41 - Aug 7 with 1449 viewsMalintabuk

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 08:35 - Aug 7 by slmrstid

Race walking - a sport entirely derived around "how much can you cheat without getting caught?"

Saw a slow-mo video last week of the 20km race where they all had both feet off the ground (ie running). I know the judging is by "naked eye" but that just makes a mockery of the whole thing. Can't take it seriously!

We have this on in the office and the concensus is yep.... running closely followed by why, is this still in the games
Also everyone thrown by it being a relay..... never knew there was a mixed relay troting event
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:23 - Aug 7 with 1338 viewsRanger_Things

Skateboard legend Andy McDonald competing in park today. 51 years old and still taking those hits!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:46 - Aug 7 with 1166 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Why is it in volleyball that one team member is always wearing a different kit to his/her team mates? Currently watching US in blue, Poland in white, but both teams have someone wearing red.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:24 - Aug 7 with 1124 viewsDorse

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:46 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Why is it in volleyball that one team member is always wearing a different kit to his/her team mates? Currently watching US in blue, Poland in white, but both teams have someone wearing red.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:27 - Aug 7 with 1078 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:24 - Aug 7 by Dorse

That's the US player, too!!

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:35 - Aug 7 with 1070 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:46 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

That player is called a Libero who are defensive players who have to play at the back and cannot play at the net blocking or spiking a ball for a winning point .
They are always diving around to stop the ball hitting the floor etc but only in the back row.
There is 2 on each team but only one on the court at the same time as the other players
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:38 - Aug 7 with 1065 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:35 - Aug 7 by CLAREMAN1995

That player is called a Libero who are defensive players who have to play at the back and cannot play at the net blocking or spiking a ball for a winning point .
They are always diving around to stop the ball hitting the floor etc but only in the back row.
There is 2 on each team but only one on the court at the same time as the other players

Top 'kin knowledge!

While you're there, do you know where I left my sunglasses?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:50 - Aug 7 with 1056 viewsconnell10

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:38 - Aug 7 by PlanetHonneywood

Top 'kin knowledge!

While you're there, do you know where I left my sunglasses?

On top of ya head mate .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:08 - Aug 7 with 1029 viewsRanger_Things

Michael Johnson is such a don. He even manages to appear interested when asked to comment on some plucky Brit who’s crashed out in the first round.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:16 - Aug 7 with 1013 viewsQPR_Hibs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:37 - Aug 6 by slmrstid

That BBC VT Kiss of Death has struck again with Josh Kerr!

Fantastic race, has feelings of Senna v Prost with Ingenritsen and Kerr, then nobody notices Hocker coming through for the win.

Matthew Hudson-Smith getting the VT of doom treatment tonight.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:14 - Aug 7 with 950 viewsderbyhoop

Midday session at the Velodrome. Really enjoyed it. Sprints, Keirin and Pursuit.
OH still trying to work out why 2 teams in pursuit start on different sides of the track.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:22 - Aug 7 with 942 viewsThe_Beast1976

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:16 - Aug 7 by QPR_Hibs

It's done him 🤦‍♂️
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:23 - Aug 7 with 936 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:16 - Aug 7 by QPR_Hibs

Cursed. He didn’t stand a chance.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 06:46 - Aug 8 with 731 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:23 - Aug 7 by Ranger_Things

Cursed. He didn’t stand a chance.

Another one finishing second in one of the major olympic events by a tiny margin. Just like the 1500, he ran a PB so couldn't have done much more. One of many near misses these games, not a lot dropping our way.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:05 - Aug 8 with 631 viewsslmrstid

I was out last night so didn't see any of the athletics, pleased Hudson-Smith got a Silver even if he narrowly lost, didn't realise he'd got the VT treatment though!

Emma Finucane receiving it today for her individual event so that's her fkd perhaps.

Hoping for success for KJT, its never seemed to go quite right on the biggest stage for her, probably her last chance now at 31 for the Olympics.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:24 - Aug 8 with 616 viewsGaryHaddock

Sitting down to eat my breakfast while watching the woman’s Shot Put.

Of all of the disciplines in the Olympics I bet these lot are the best laugh. Would love a few pints with this mob.

Something intriguing about a woman who can fold you up like a deckchair.
[Post edited 8 Aug 9:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024