Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 46737 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:33 - Aug 2 with 2468 viewsLandshark

I was looking at how GB have done in the medals table in recent years. People spoke about legacy during the lead up to the 2012 Olympics and it really did leave a legacy. The money invested in Olympics sports has been fantastic for GB sport when you see how many more medals we win these days.

1988 - 24 medals (5 gold)
1992 - 20 medals (5 gold)
1996 - 15 medals (1 gold)
2000 - 28 medals (11 gold)
2004 - 30 medals (9 gold)
2008 - 51 medals (19 gold)
2012 - 65 medals (29 gold)
2016 - 67 medals (27 gold)
2020 - 64 medals (22 gold)
2024 - 24 medals (8 gold) so far.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:34 - Aug 2 with 2465 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:42 - Aug 2 with 2420 viewsWatford_Ranger

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:04 - Aug 2 by Paddyhoops

I listened to Steve Bunce on five live a few minutes ago .
He gave passionate defence of the Algerian boxer and is dismayed at some of the high profile figures who are speaking out against her .
Buncey knows he’s boxing so I’ll take his word for it rather than JK Rowling who last I heard wasn’t an expert on the pugilistic arts.

One of life’s greatest mysteries is why a woman who got famous for writing wizard books is considered some sort of authority on gender issues.

Anyway the trampolining just now was nice.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:42 - Aug 2 with 2414 viewsE17hoop

He gave passionate defence of the Algerian boxer and is dismayed at some of the high profile figures who are speaking out against her .
Buncey knows he’s boxing so I’ll take his word for it rather than JK Rowling who last I heard wasn’t an expert on the pugilistic arts.

I strongly recommend listening to Ross Tucker on this:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/3wE8UykA7aOZTPa8yvjWOp

The best way I've heard it described is that male advantage has been allowed into women's sports. It's not saying the Algerian is a man but has benefitted from male physiological benefits which create an unfair advantage. The issue lays with the IOC and the governance, not with the individuals. When the balance is between inclusion, fairness and safety, which is the priority?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:28 - Aug 2 with 2285 viewsEastR

This Irish girl fought and beat the Algerian in the 2022 World Championships and might explain why opponents are still quite happy to get into the ring to face her

(can't get direct link to work)

Amy Broadhurst on X: "Have a lot of people texting me over Imane Khelif. Personally I don’t think she has done anything to ‘cheat’. I thinks it’s the way she was born & that’s out of her control. The fact that she has been beating by 9 females before says it all." / X

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:33 - Aug 2 with 2263 viewsslmrstid

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:33 - Aug 2 by Landshark

I was looking at how GB have done in the medals table in recent years. People spoke about legacy during the lead up to the 2012 Olympics and it really did leave a legacy. The money invested in Olympics sports has been fantastic for GB sport when you see how many more medals we win these days.

I'm a bit mixed on this because whilst the top level achievements are amazing, the grassroots funding is atrocious and less kids than ever are taking part in organised sport.

There's also a bit of a "winners only" mentality that has developed. There are UK athletes in T&F disciplines who have met IAAF standards for Olympics qualification that have then not been taken by UK Athletics because they are not felt to be medal contenders, which just feels completely wrong to me. If you've earned the right to go, then you should be able to and represent your country, even if it is unlikely you'll win.

So, the successes are fantastic, clearly something is going well at the top top end, but I'm not convinced its so great all the way through, which was meant to be one of the main points of the London 2012 "legacy".

This article from BBC this morning tells its own story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng7wv1rljo.amp?fbclid=IwY2xjawEZv3ZleHRuA2
[Post edited 2 Aug 14:34]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:46 - Aug 2 with 2204 viewsMick_S

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:34 - Aug 2 by Nov77

The eleven year old in me enjoyed watching Long and Wang in the diving.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:51 - Aug 2 with 2155 viewsDWQPR

Make that 25 medals and 9 golds. Just watched the show jumping, something that I’d never watch and that was tense.. well done team GB!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:45 - Aug 2 with 2040 viewsnadera78

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:42 - Aug 2 by Watford_Ranger

One of life’s greatest mysteries is why a woman who got famous for writing wizard books is considered some sort of authority on gender issues.

Anyway the trampolining just now was nice.

Yes, I too wonder why on earth a woman would want to speak up in defence of women's rights...
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:56 - Aug 2 with 2020 viewsHAYESBOY

Tommy Fleetwood tied leader after 2 rounds.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:59 - Aug 2 with 2010 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:28 - Aug 2 by EastR

This Irish girl fought and beat the Algerian in the 2022 World Championships and might explain why opponents are still quite happy to get into the ring to face her

(can't get direct link to work)

Amy Broadhurst on X: "Have a lot of people texting me over Imane Khelif. Personally I don’t think she has done anything to ‘cheat’. I thinks it’s the way she was born & that’s out of her control. The fact that she has been beating by 9 females before says it all." / X

Big difference in her muscle mass since Harrington beat her in 2021 going off the pictures and now she is fully developed and basically a lethal weapon force wise .
When is it going to end with a broken jaw, nose,or knoced out cold with future brain damage likely its time to stop this madness IMO.
Either award her the gold medal now and let the rest of the women battle for silver and bronze or award her the bronze and let them fight for the top 2 spots.
Or worse case senario have the womed unite and step aside to boycott the rounds left and force the corrupt IOC to act.
Remember there is another Male/female boxe from Tiawan starting today I am sure the same issues will arise sadly.
Speaking of the corrupt Olympic the Irish fighter Diana Moorehouse lost a split decision today whem most of the fans and media thought she should have won easily what a discrace just ususl b.s its not right
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:57 - Aug 2 with 1881 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:51 - Aug 2 by DWQPR

Make that 25 medals and 9 golds. Just watched the show jumping, something that I’d never watch and that was tense.. well done team GB!

I love the Os. Every four years I become knowledgeable and intense on stuff that come September, I'll struggle to spell!

During the 2016 Rio Os, we were out shopping in Clapham one afternoon, when I said to Mr. PH, 'Quick, got to find a pub for the show jumping!' Until then, never expressed a moment's interest in the sport.

Next thing, we're in a pub with about 20 other people, utterly fixated with Nick Skelton. Day earlier, he could have walked in and we wouldn't know him from Adam.

You could see everyone bobbing and weaving as he approached a fence, shouts of 'G'wan Nick' and when he won it, the place went 'kin mental... 'showjumping's coming home!'

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:53 - Aug 2 with 1796 viewsWatford_Ranger

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:45 - Aug 2 by nadera78

Yes, I too wonder why on earth a woman would want to speak up in defence of women's rights...

No issue with her or anyone having an opinion. It’s her seemingly self-declared authority on the topic. At least when Sharron Davies goes off on one after a couple of wines it’s from a position of some knowledge when it’s to do with sport.
[Post edited 2 Aug 17:54]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:57 - Aug 2 with 1728 viewsSnipper

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:53 - Aug 2 by Watford_Ranger

No issue with her or anyone having an opinion. It’s her seemingly self-declared authority on the topic. At least when Sharron Davies goes off on one after a couple of wines it’s from a position of some knowledge when it’s to do with sport.

So when Sharon Davies speaks up about protecting women in sport, she’s half cut?

That is a ridiculous thing to say.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:06 - Aug 2 with 1700 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:33 - Aug 2 by slmrstid

I'm a bit mixed on this because whilst the top level achievements are amazing, the grassroots funding is atrocious and less kids than ever are taking part in organised sport.

There's also a bit of a "winners only" mentality that has developed. There are UK athletes in T&F disciplines who have met IAAF standards for Olympics qualification that have then not been taken by UK Athletics because they are not felt to be medal contenders, which just feels completely wrong to me. If you've earned the right to go, then you should be able to and represent your country, even if it is unlikely you'll win.

So, the successes are fantastic, clearly something is going well at the top top end, but I'm not convinced its so great all the way through, which was meant to be one of the main points of the London 2012 "legacy".

This article from BBC this morning tells its own story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng7wv1rljo.amp?fbclid=IwY2xjawEZv3ZleHRuA2
[Post edited 2 Aug 14:34]

Brilliant post!

I bet you can also draw a link with the rise of entry costs and access to good facilities for ordinary people to participate in sports, and the health and fitness of the nation overall.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:43 - Aug 2 with 1551 viewsRanger_Things

Blimey, I knew the French were good at BMX but their men absolutely smashed it.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:02 - Aug 2 with 1494 viewsflynnbo

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:43 - Aug 2 by Ranger_Things

Blimey, I knew the French were good at BMX but their men absolutely smashed it.

Amazing. Such a shame for Beth.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:03 - Aug 2 with 1480 viewsMick_S

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:02 - Aug 2 by flynnbo

Gutted by that one.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:17 - Aug 2 with 1430 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:03 - Aug 2 by Mick_S

Gutted by that one.

Me too, that one hurt. The margins are crazy in BMX. Lose a wheels length or get blocked at the top and it can easily equate to 30 metres at the finish.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:48 - Aug 2 with 1346 viewsNed_Kennedys

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:45 - Aug 2 by nadera78

I see Esox disagrees with this (anybody surprised?)
He’s clearly old school when it comes to women knowing their place.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:53 - Aug 2 with 1324 viewsNed_Kennedys

Felt sorry for the Irish mixed 4 x 400 relay team: they have been one of the top teams on the world recently but one of the girls decided not to run as she hopes to do well in the individual 400 and they failed to qualify for the final despite a brilliant effort by Sharlene Mawdsley in the last leg to catch up the top three.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:35 - Aug 2 with 1199 viewsSydneyRs

Its not really a London legacy, although that certainly will have played a part, it goes back to when national lottery funding of Olympic sports started from the late 1990s. Hence the excellent 2008 results as the effects of this started to produce more medals.

Australia has been doing this (heavy funding of Olympic sports) since the 1970s and it was always irritating living here and listening to their pathetic media bragging about beating GB (who live utterly rent free in their heads) when it was only happening because one country was investing in sport and the other wasn't. Listening to these dickheads trying to claim they had some sort of natural mental and physical advantage was nauseating.

We've since beaten them in every Olympics since 2008, sometimes by huge margins and it's been very satisfying. We've finished second in the medals table which is something they will never achieve. And let's face it, without swimming, a sport not a single other country cares about like they do, they don't actually win that much.

I remember being laughed at for saying GB would beat them if we had the same kind of investment. The last few Olympics have proved me to have been right.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:37 - Aug 2 with 1189 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:02 - Aug 2 by flynnbo

Those BMX races are great to watch but are also a bit of a lottery.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:50 - Aug 2 with 1172 viewsconnell10

That's very patronising mate!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 02:03 - Aug 3 with 1104 viewsFredManRave

I'd be interested to hear Delia Smiths opinion on the subject at about 8pm on a Saturday evening....
[Post edited 3 Aug 2:04]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024