Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 39100 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:16 - Aug 6 with 1826 viewsThe_Beast1976

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:23 - Aug 6 by hantssi

Surely the R’s at Wembley 2014?!

No chance. It meant going up to the Prem, and I can't stand the Prem so that took the gloss of it.

I did, however, somehow forget the play off semi final v Oldham at home. That's undoubtedly number 1.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:17 - Aug 6 with 1820 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:53 - Aug 6 by The_Beast1976

A mate and I travelled over to Paris specifically for that last night. It's up there in the top 3 sporting events I have witnessed (probably only beaten by Stokes at Headingly in 2019 and England winning the cricket WC at Lord's in 2019)

The crowds have been the best I’ve seen at an Olympic’s. The French have properly turned out and are very vocal, looks like loads of travelling fans too. 15,000 every day for the kayaking is mental, the road race crowds were even bigger than when it was here and the velodrome last night was mobbed with Brits. It looked like our home event. The French have done the Olympic’s proud.

EDIT:
Great turn out by Brits at the skatepark.
[Post edited 6 Aug 13:26]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:25 - Aug 6 with 1782 viewsThe_Beast1976

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:17 - Aug 6 by Ranger_Things

The crowds have been the best I’ve seen at an Olympic’s. The French have properly turned out and are very vocal, looks like loads of travelling fans too. 15,000 every day for the kayaking is mental, the road race crowds were even bigger than when it was here and the velodrome last night was mobbed with Brits. It looked like our home event. The French have done the Olympic’s proud.

EDIT:

It was brilliant. Very well run, and what an atmosphere. Loved every second of it. And, after the main event of seeing Keely win gold (the reason he went) we got to see a world record pole vault too.
[Post edited 6 Aug 18:01]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:29 - Aug 6 with 1706 viewsE17hoop

EDIT:

Loving the energy at the skatepark; the women supporting each other as they're introduced and the camaraderie is immense.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:31 - Aug 6 with 1679 viewsSheffieldHoop

EDIT:

Wot, better than 2012? Sacrilege.

Who's trolling now?

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 14:57 - Aug 6 with 1563 viewsSuperhoops2808

Well Keely certainly made me eat my words - Perfect run last night for gold so pleased for her.

Hopefully that's the monkey off her back now and she will push on to become the best 800m runner for years to come.

As for the next star to watch, it has to be Emma Finucane. That girl is the next Laura Kenny, and in all likelihood will win more medals. Every likelihood she will win 3 golds this Olympics alone. And such a bubbly personality
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:04 - Aug 6 with 1440 viewsslmrstid

Brilliant win for Keely last night, she ran fantastically well and just left the opposition in her wake when it was time to go.

I think she's the first BBC focussed athlete to win Gold so far too, every other athlete that's had the deep-dive VT treatment hasn't gone to the top step, feels like the BBC Kiss of Death! Unless one of the rowers have had it that I missed.

Andrea Spendolini-Siriex the latest victim today, finishing 6th. Then interviewed straight after where she's barely able to hold it together. I really wish they wouldn't do that to the athletes, feels so unfair they don't have time to properly be able to process their contest first before facing the cameras.

(That's not a criticism of any of the athletes who haven't won btw, they're all magnificent in my eyes).
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:29 - Aug 6 with 1366 viewsjohnhoop

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:04 - Aug 6 by slmrstid

Brilliant win for Keely last night, she ran fantastically well and just left the opposition in her wake when it was time to go.

I think she's the first BBC focussed athlete to win Gold so far too, every other athlete that's had the deep-dive VT treatment hasn't gone to the top step, feels like the BBC Kiss of Death! Unless one of the rowers have had it that I missed.

Andrea Spendolini-Siriex the latest victim today, finishing 6th. Then interviewed straight after where she's barely able to hold it together. I really wish they wouldn't do that to the athletes, feels so unfair they don't have time to properly be able to process their contest first before facing the cameras.

(That's not a criticism of any of the athletes who haven't won btw, they're all magnificent in my eyes).

Totally agree. The worst for me was when they stuck the microphone right in Jemma Reekie’s face just after she’d been unexpectedly eliminated in the semi-final from an event in which she must have thought she stood a great chance of winning a medal.
“How do you feel Jemma?”
How do you think she effing well feels?
Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:38 - Aug 6 with 1348 viewsjoe90

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:29 - Aug 6 by E17hoop

Loving the energy at the skatepark; the women supporting each other as they're introduced and the camaraderie is immense.

I find the skateboarding really odd. Kind of goes against the ethos and isn't the pinnacle of skateboarding success, but is still a high(ish) standard. It's also not competitive in the same way as other Olympic sports.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:34 - Aug 6 with 1266 viewsRanger_Things

Sky Brown is a legend. MCL a few months back followed by a dislocated shoulder last week. Falls on her shoulder during qualifying but goes on to collect another bronze.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:56 - Aug 6 with 1212 viewsRanger_Things

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:38 - Aug 6 by joe90

I find the skateboarding really odd. Kind of goes against the ethos and isn't the pinnacle of skateboarding success, but is still a high(ish) standard. It's also not competitive in the same way as other Olympic sports.

This can be said of all the action sports. There will always be a battle between those who consider themselves purists and believe the constraints and nature of Olympic competition is at odds with their chosen sport. Personally I love watching the athletes showcase their skills and sport to the outside world but I do understand their misgivings.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:00 - Aug 6 with 1193 viewsE17hoop

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:56 - Aug 6 by Ranger_Things

This can be said of all the action sports. There will always be a battle between those who consider themselves purists and believe the constraints and nature of Olympic competition is at odds with their chosen sport. Personally I love watching the athletes showcase their skills and sport to the outside world but I do understand their misgivings.

Most sports requiring judging can be a difficult watch at times and create subjectivity - just look at the gymnastics yesterday.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:17 - Aug 6 with 1143 viewshantssi

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:16 - Aug 6 by The_Beast1976

No chance. It meant going up to the Prem, and I can't stand the Prem so that took the gloss of it.

I did, however, somehow forget the play off semi final v Oldham at home. That's undoubtedly number 1.

Finally witnessing us win a final is up there but yes I agree the thought of promotion (especially under Redknapp) did take the shine off it!
Oldham, one of the best atmospheres at LR ever especially under the lights, perhaps only bettered by Leeds in 76?!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:26 - Aug 6 with 1008 viewsjoe90

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:56 - Aug 6 by Ranger_Things

For sure. The bowl skating is much better to watch (IMO) than the street and lends itself better to the Olympic format. I think there’s the same issue in surfing despite it having a much more established competition circuit.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:34 - Aug 6 with 983 viewsMalintabuk

I'm all for us blowing our own trumpet but if I watch this Josh Kerr video anymore I think I might go mad
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:41 - Aug 6 with 970 viewsLandshark

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:38 - Aug 6 by joe90

I feel the same about football, golf, tennis, basketball etc at the Olympics. I won't watch them at the Olympics. Olympics was about amateurs, I don't want to watch millionaires in competitions that are not the pinnacle of their sports.
I'd watch sports like skateboarding because it's not the kind of sport that's usually accessible to watch.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:02 - Aug 6 with 914 viewsjohnhoop

Ingebritsen screwed up both his and Kerr’s chances of a gold by setting that suicidal pace from the start
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:04 - Aug 6 with 891 viewsNed_Kennedys

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:34 - Aug 6 by Malintabuk

I'm all for us blowing our own trumpet but if I watch this Josh Kerr video anymore I think I might go mad

What a bloody great race: Kerr and Ingebrigtsen thought it was between them but underestimated the Americans.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:07 - Aug 6 with 881 viewsMalintabuk

Ingebrigtsen and Kerr hate each other so much that Ingebrigtsen allowed the American in.
He moved out to block Kerr off giving the winner that gap to run through.
Great race by Hocker though.
[Post edited 6 Aug 20:09]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:13 - Aug 6 with 867 viewsconnell10

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:02 - Aug 6 by johnhoop

Ingebritsen screwed up both his and Kerr’s chances of a gold by setting that suicidal pace from the start

This , they both ran stupidly, the yank took full advantage, also the Norwegian not blocking him off on the inside gave him a straight run. Kerr should have won , oh well.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:37 - Aug 6 with 809 viewsslmrstid

That BBC VT Kiss of Death has struck again with Josh Kerr!

Fantastic race, has feelings of Senna v Prost with Ingenritsen and Kerr, then nobody notices Hocker coming through for the win.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:12 - Aug 6 with 747 viewsconnell10

Well I thought our lad won the boxing but unfortunately the judges didn't agree.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:12 - Aug 6 with 734 viewsWatford_Ranger

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:12 - Aug 6 by connell10

Well I thought our lad won the boxing but unfortunately the judges didn't agree.

Me too, especially considering he was winning after two rounds. Olympic boxing has always been dodgy.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:16 - Aug 6 with 709 viewsconnell10

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:12 - Aug 6 by Watford_Ranger

Me too, especially considering he was winning after two rounds. Olympic boxing has always been dodgy.

To be honest that result really pissed me off , the Mexican won the first , our lad edged the 2nd and definitely pissed the last round ...just don't see how he lost !!!

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:19 - Aug 6 with 668 viewsNed_Kennedys

Just watched the last GB boxer lose despite being up going into the final round.
Looked to my untrained eye that the Brit had the best of the final round and the commentators agreed but somehow the judges gave the whole contest to the Mexican.

Some dodgy sh1t going on: the IOC’s decision to appoint their own officials have made a bit of a mockery of proceedings. The fighters from Algeria and Taiwan are guaranteed medals in the women’s boxing as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024