Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique 08:11 - Jul 26 with 39015 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bienvenue mes amis!

Will be glued to the screen for the next few weeks, watching anything and everything. The Olympics are my favourite sporting event ever since I got hooked on the 1972 games.

Arrived in Paris yesterday. Amazing to see so many French people smiling, being polite, and offering service without the Gallic shrug of indifference!

I know Derby is up next week, anyone else visiting? If so, lets reserve tables at the Georges V and push on from there.

Allez les Brits!!

Edit: weather not looking good for the OC tonight.
[Post edited 26 Jul 8:20]

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 15:58 - Aug 5 with 2287 viewsGaryHaddock

I was disappointed to find out that the Gymnastics commentator was Craig Heap and not Jonny Vegas.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:10 - Aug 5 with 2236 viewsRanger_Things

Kayak cross is properly exciting. I’d never heard of it before but I’m hooked!

Track cycling starting. We have a very decent team, watch our medals pile up.
[Post edited 5 Aug 16:13]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:21 - Aug 5 with 2178 viewsDorse

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:10 - Aug 5 by Ranger_Things

Kayak cross is properly exciting. I’d never heard of it before but I’m hooked!

Track cycling starting. We have a very decent team, watch our medals pile up.
[Post edited 5 Aug 16:13]

I've got an idea for an event: they have to race whilst giving their drunk mate a backie on a Raleigh Chopper.

We would rule the fcuking world in that. Add a chase car (1979 Police Allegro) and it'd be the perfect event.

BTW - We're winning the women's sprint. Gleamin'.

Edit - shite spelling.
[Post edited 5 Aug 16:23]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:58 - Aug 5 with 2075 viewsEsox_Lucius

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:07 - Aug 4 by derbyhoop

At breakfast, I was forced to watch the women's beach volleyball.
I struggle to see the attraction.

Typical! 10 minutes into the game and there's a wrist injury.
I should be alright for the WBA game though, just a mild strain.

The grass is always greener.

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 17:09 - Aug 5 with 2019 viewsconnell10

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 16:21 - Aug 5 by Dorse

I've got an idea for an event: they have to race whilst giving their drunk mate a backie on a Raleigh Chopper.

We would rule the fcuking world in that. Add a chase car (1979 Police Allegro) and it'd be the perfect event.

BTW - We're winning the women's sprint. Gleamin'.

Edit - shite spelling.
[Post edited 5 Aug 16:23]

We used to call it a buggy on ya Chopper or a crossy.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 18:43 - Aug 5 with 1921 viewsSuperhoops2808

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 11:54 - Aug 5 by Ned_Kennedys

Absolute disaster in decision making and performance by Molly Cawdrey I’m afraid.
Even though the official qualification mark was 4.70m loads qualified by clearing only 4.40m: she however decided to enter the competition at 4.55m and failed every attempt. Shocking decision.

She is young and will learn. A very painful way to learn but now every Olympics she takes part in she will remember this - Very sad for her
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:06 - Aug 5 with 1867 viewshantssi

Also pleased for the Brazilian girl to win the floor.
Medals were more spread out than I thought they’d be!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:40 - Aug 5 with 1823 viewsaston_hoop

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:16 - Aug 5 by R_from_afar

Canadian Ethan Katzberg generated so many revs in the hammer that I thought he'd spin off into orbit. He chucked the thing over 80 metres, though .

Not your traditional hammer thrower build and a bit of a Joe Walsh (from The Eagles) look going on:

I bet he could name every Rush album

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:45 - Aug 5 with 1737 viewsQPR_Hibs

BBC really milking this Women's 800m race. I have seen the VT about Keeley roughly six times now.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:50 - Aug 5 with 1734 viewsQPR_Hibs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:45 - Aug 5 by QPR_Hibs

BBC really milking this Women's 800m race. I have seen the VT about Keeley roughly six times now.

Brilliant run for the Gold though.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:58 - Aug 5 with 1705 viewsWatford_Ranger

I could watch her run all day.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:59 - Aug 5 with 1687 viewsNed_Kennedys

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:50 - Aug 5 by QPR_Hibs

Brilliant run for the Gold though.

Brilliant and only 22 so will get better and better.
Great lap of honour too: she’s really enjoying her moment.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:19 - Aug 5 with 1609 viewsMick_S

How Feckin good is Michael Johnson on the BBC panel. Fantastic to hear him speak about nerves and how you should not try to hide them, accept them and learn how to deal with them. Class act.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:39 - Aug 5 with 1497 viewslassel

Swedes understandably going mental about Duplantis.

Always found it a bit awkward though as really he’s a Septic from Louisiana who only started learning the language a couple of years ago.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:40 - Aug 5 with 1494 viewsJamesB1979

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 13:33 - Aug 2 by Landshark

I was looking at how GB have done in the medals table in recent years. People spoke about legacy during the lead up to the 2012 Olympics and it really did leave a legacy. The money invested in Olympics sports has been fantastic for GB sport when you see how many more medals we win these days.

1988 - 24 medals (5 gold)
1992 - 20 medals (5 gold)
1996 - 15 medals (1 gold)
2000 - 28 medals (11 gold)
2004 - 30 medals (9 gold)
2008 - 51 medals (19 gold)
2012 - 65 medals (29 gold)
2016 - 67 medals (27 gold)
2020 - 64 medals (22 gold)
2024 - 24 medals (8 gold) so far.

Think changes happened after 1996, as we were terrible at that games. Takes quite a few years to get to results like we saw in 2012.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 23:30 - Aug 5 with 1271 viewsChrisNW6

Love that girl though and didn't realise she's mutton in one ear. Should dominate for years, just wish we could remove the dodgy drug cheat times, as I think she would be the next WR holder. Already looking forward to her next race against Athing Mu.

Josh Kerr VT fest tomorrow, gonna be a fantastic race. Not sure Ingebrigtsen can take another GB win.

🤞
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 02:29 - Aug 6 with 1191 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 21:40 - Aug 5 by JamesB1979

Think changes happened after 1996, as we were terrible at that games. Takes quite a few years to get to results like we saw in 2012.

National lottery funding started in the late 90s and it took about a decade or so to start showing. 2008 was the first time we finished above Australia in a long time and we've done it every time since. London and Rio especially were ridiculously successful. For GB to finish second in the medals was immense.

I was here in Oz backpacking in 96. A miserable games for GB (only one gold) whereas Australia were seeing the benefits of their government funding program that started after they did badly at the 1976 games. Wasn't much fun listening to their awful media bragging (they are absolutely obsessed with beating England/UK at anything) that they were somehow just mentally and physically superior when it was obvious it was down to them having a lot more investment back then. That has been proved as GB have done really well for some time now.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2:30]
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 02:41 - Aug 6 with 1181 viewsSydneyRs

You should come here during an olympics and see how much their media jerks off over swimming.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 02:43 - Aug 6 with 1179 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 19:06 - Aug 5 by hantssi

Also pleased for the Brazilian girl to win the floor.
Medals were more spread out than I thought they’d be!

I thought it was really nice the way Simone Biles and the other US medallist bowed down for her when she got given the gold medal. There seems to be a really good spirit between a lot of the gymnasts.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 03:58 - Aug 6 with 1168 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 02:43 - Aug 6 by SydneyRs

I thought it was really nice the way Simone Biles and the other US medallist bowed down for her when she got given the gold medal. There seems to be a really good spirit between a lot of the gymnasts.

I thought it was shocking bad sportsmanship from the US and just another example of bad judges at these games.
The Romanian girls were 3and 4 thanks to a scoring error where they deducted one tenth for a touch out of bounds the 4 place girl had but replays showed she was clean.Her coaches did not request a replay which would have put her just behind Biles safely in 3rd even after the US team requested a score change for Chiles routine
This meant Romania got no medal and the US got second and a very undeserved bronze just leaves a bad taste just like some of the boxing and other sports
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 07:16 - Aug 6 with 1015 viewsGus_iom

Came in last night, the wife was watching the urban basketball thing, small court, one net. 'Why don't they just play on a normal.......oh........this is a good watch...'
Got me thinking, though....3 and in and wall-ball to be made Olympic sports?
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:53 - Aug 6 with 831 viewsThe_Beast1976

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:59 - Aug 5 by Ned_Kennedys

Brilliant and only 22 so will get better and better.
Great lap of honour too: she’s really enjoying her moment.

A mate and I travelled over to Paris specifically for that last night. It's up there in the top 3 sporting events I have witnessed (probably only beaten by Stokes at Headingly in 2019 and England winning the cricket WC at Lord's in 2019)
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:13 - Aug 6 with 799 viewsSydneyRs

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 03:58 - Aug 6 by CLAREMAN1995

I thought it was shocking bad sportsmanship from the US and just another example of bad judges at these games.
The Romanian girls were 3and 4 thanks to a scoring error where they deducted one tenth for a touch out of bounds the 4 place girl had but replays showed she was clean.Her coaches did not request a replay which would have put her just behind Biles safely in 3rd even after the US team requested a score change for Chiles routine
This meant Romania got no medal and the US got second and a very undeserved bronze just leaves a bad taste just like some of the boxing and other sports

Pretty sure one of the Romanians lodged an inquiry just before Chiles did but it was knocked back. I was definitely shocked when Chiles got moved up but have no problem with anyone challenging if they think the outcome is wrong. To me it's no different to how it works in rugby league, cricket, tennis etc.

I don't claim to understand the technical things behind the scores but I don't think it was unfair to ask if its part of the rules. The Aussie commentators here agreed that Chiles had been scored too low and I was also shocked to see her initially placed 5th.
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 10:23 - Aug 6 with 774 viewshantssi

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 09:53 - Aug 6 by The_Beast1976

A mate and I travelled over to Paris specifically for that last night. It's up there in the top 3 sporting events I have witnessed (probably only beaten by Stokes at Headingly in 2019 and England winning the cricket WC at Lord's in 2019)

Surely the R’s at Wembley 2014?!
Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 12:49 - Aug 6 with 686 viewsnix

Paris 2024 Olympics Frederique on 20:58 - Aug 5 by Watford_Ranger

I could watch her run all day.

Me too. The Olympics happens every four years, it's their biggest moment by miles and it's a phenomenal achievement to win a gold medal.

We've only won 56 gold athletics medals EVER (according to Wikipedia) and some of those would have been field events so yes, I could quite happily watch that race a number of times more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024