Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin 11:08 - Nov 2 with 62608 viewsmacro

Charged with violent conduct (I assume it's the challenge which Clarke went mad about)
Club going to protest against it so fingers crossed.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 11:37]
Calvin on 19:14 - Nov 5 with 3614 viewsolympicdale

Calvin on 17:15 - Nov 5 by AlexF

The challenge was not appropriate, I doubt a single person here thinks it was. The point is about comparison and proportionality (and the 3 match statement of yours). I'm absolutely fine and in agreement this offence carries a 12 match ban - AS LONG AS it does for everyone. Not just league one Dale but premiership players as well. Everything we've ever seen says that's not the case. Costa simply wouldnt get 12 matches for this (or pretty much anything else) and we all know it.

Costa wouldn't be that clear, he's the attack ninja.

Life is a game of fate.

Calvin on 19:17 - Nov 5 with 3601 viewsmingthemerciless

Calvin on 19:04 - Nov 5 by AlexF

promise i'll let it go now fellas, and respect all opinions here, but this one did come to mind from this year, are either of these guys that much better than Calvin? 3 match bans IIRC, despite one of these having plenty of previous...

I think it's the degree of premeditation that's the key here. That wasn't a heat of the moment action, he'd time to think about what he was going to do. Clarke's just lucky he isn't eating his tea through a straw tonight. I liked it rough and tough as a player but that incident crossed the line by a long way.

Take the 12 match suspension and learn from it.
Calvin on 19:44 - Nov 5 with 3524 viewsnordenblue

Calvin on 19:17 - Nov 5 by mingthemerciless

I think it's the degree of premeditation that's the key here. That wasn't a heat of the moment action, he'd time to think about what he was going to do. Clarke's just lucky he isn't eating his tea through a straw tonight. I liked it rough and tough as a player but that incident crossed the line by a long way.

Take the 12 match suspension and learn from it.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't planned for weeks in advance,something has obviously flipped him to react in that way immediately before it happened.

It looks like just before he launched at Clarke he was getting himself out of some kind of head lock or wrestle by the same chap,hardly surprising when someone reacts to his constant elbows and sly digs all game however wrong Calvin was.
Calvin on 20:10 - Nov 5 with 3444 views1907

I've watched this video hundreds of times now. It's naughty, very naughty indeed. Unnecessary and absolutely stupid. But I don't think he actually catches Clarke THAT hard. I think he was purely giving him with one to let him know he wasn't taking anymore of his shit. Clarke goes down like a sack of spuds and really does make the most of it. Surely to god if a guy of Calvin's stature wants to hit you in the face and hurt you then he would do. After Clarke had finished rolling about and got up there was nothing wrong with him whatsoever. I'm not defending what Calvin did. It was stupid and warrants a ban. Not a 12 game ban. And it wasn't a flying elbow as I've seen labelled on here. People calling for him to be sacked etc are clearly wet wipes that have never competed at any sort of decent standard of sport. I'm behind Calvin 100% and the rest of you should be. We support the club and the players through the bad times as well as the good ones.
Calvin on 20:35 - Nov 5 with 3364 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin on 20:10 - Nov 5 by 1907

I've watched this video hundreds of times now. It's naughty, very naughty indeed. Unnecessary and absolutely stupid. But I don't think he actually catches Clarke THAT hard. I think he was purely giving him with one to let him know he wasn't taking anymore of his shit. Clarke goes down like a sack of spuds and really does make the most of it. Surely to god if a guy of Calvin's stature wants to hit you in the face and hurt you then he would do. After Clarke had finished rolling about and got up there was nothing wrong with him whatsoever. I'm not defending what Calvin did. It was stupid and warrants a ban. Not a 12 game ban. And it wasn't a flying elbow as I've seen labelled on here. People calling for him to be sacked etc are clearly wet wipes that have never competed at any sort of decent standard of sport. I'm behind Calvin 100% and the rest of you should be. We support the club and the players through the bad times as well as the good ones.

... like McGahey?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Calvin on 21:14 - Nov 5 with 3285 views1907

Calvin on 20:35 - Nov 5 by TVOS1907

... like McGahey?

Struggling to see what that's got to do with anything?
Calvin on 22:01 - Nov 5 with 3183 viewsColDale

Watching the footage, how did we not get a free kick for handball from the Oldham defender?
Calvin on 22:04 - Nov 5 with 3168 views442Dale

Calvin on 22:01 - Nov 5 by ColDale

Watching the footage, how did we not get a free kick for handball from the Oldham defender?

You're clearly a football person.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Calvin on 00:25 - Nov 6 with 3006 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 22:01 - Nov 5 by ColDale

If Camps volley hadn't been so bloody good and forced the Oldham keeper into a wonder save all this would never have happened!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Calvin on 07:44 - Nov 6 with 2895 viewsBartRowou

From Daniel Taylor's column in the Guardian. It shows how some on the outside view the Calvin story:

Andrew’s elbow met by silence

The video footage of Calvin Andrew elbowing an opponent to the side of his head is the most brutal piece of violence I have seen on a football pitch since the night, in 2006, when Ben Thatcher appeared to overdose on his own testosterone and delivered the forearm smash that left Pedro Mendes unconscious on the side of Manchester City’s pitch.

Andrew’s assault on Peter Clarke while playing for Rochdale against Oldham Athletic last weekend has left him with a 12-match ban, one of the longest punishments ever meted out by the Football Association. It was a pity, though, that the announcement was not accompanied by any statement from his club making it clear what they thought of his behaviour, or any form of public contrition from the player, and it hardly reflects well on Andrew that he admitted the charge of violent conduct but also had the gall to argue it did not deserve more than the standard three-match ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/05/coventry-city-sisu-southam

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Calvin on 07:48 - Nov 6 with 2888 viewsfitzochris

Calvin on 07:44 - Nov 6 by BartRowou

From Daniel Taylor's column in the Guardian. It shows how some on the outside view the Calvin story:

The video footage of Calvin Andrew elbowing an opponent to the side of his head is the most brutal piece of violence I have seen on a football pitch since the night, in 2006, when Ben Thatcher appeared to overdose on his own testosterone and delivered the forearm smash that left Pedro Mendes unconscious on the side of Manchester City’s pitch.

Andrew’s assault on Peter Clarke while playing for Rochdale against Oldham Athletic last weekend has left him with a 12-match ban, one of the longest punishments ever meted out by the Football Association. It was a pity, though, that the announcement was not accompanied by any statement from his club making it clear what they thought of his behaviour, or any form of public contrition from the player, and it hardly reflects well on Andrew that he admitted the charge of violent conduct but also had the gall to argue it did not deserve more than the standard three-match ban.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/nov/05/coventry-city-sisu-southam

As I said, the club should have made a statement.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Calvin on 08:01 - Nov 6 with 2870 views442Dale

Calvin on 07:48 - Nov 6 by fitzochris

As I said, the club should have made a statement.

Some valid points have been made in this thread about whether they would be allowed to say something at this stage. However, whoever they are taking advice from should be able to say whether a line like "At this time the club won't be/are unable to comment further. We will update all Dale supporters as soon as possible" is satisfactory.

It was agreed the other week how a line in the OS article about current Season Ticket holders benefiting in the coming months would have avoided some concerns when the £100 tickets were launched (something addressed in the programme since). Similarly, could the above have avoided some of the consternation amongst fans and possibly prevented some of the understandable negative publicity in the Guardian article?

Calvin on 08:11 - Nov 6 with 2858 viewsfitzochris

Calvin on 08:01 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

Some valid points have been made in this thread about whether they would be allowed to say something at this stage. However, whoever they are taking advice from should be able to say whether a line like "At this time the club won't be/are unable to comment further. We will update all Dale supporters as soon as possible" is satisfactory.

It was agreed the other week how a line in the OS article about current Season Ticket holders benefiting in the coming months would have avoided some concerns when the £100 tickets were launched (something addressed in the programme since). Similarly, could the above have avoided some of the consternation amongst fans and possibly prevented some of the understandable negative publicity in the Guardian article?

The short answer is yes. Part of the club's responsibility is managing the media, like it or not. Communication is key here. So, as you say, valid points were made about potential legal pitfalls. This could still have been communicated and, as such, would have been mentioned in that article and others that will no doubt follow.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Calvin on 08:13 - Nov 6 with 2854 viewsroccydaleian

Calvin on 20:10 - Nov 5 by 1907

Give this post a like by mistake. So you have to have played competitive sport or you're a wet wipe? Get a grip pal, we all have differing opinions on this and labelling someone who doesn't agree with you is a bit poor IMO.
Calvin on 09:55 - Nov 6 with 2688 views1907

Calvin on 08:13 - Nov 6 by roccydaleian

Give this post a like by mistake. So you have to have played competitive sport or you're a wet wipe? Get a grip pal, we all have differing opinions on this and labelling someone who doesn't agree with you is a bit poor IMO.

It clearly wasn't labelling anybody who disagrees, it was those calling for him to be sacked. Massive overreaction judge on a stupid incident that happened in the heat of the moment. I can guarantee that those coming out with comments like that obviously don't understand the dangerously close line between passion and aggression athletes compete on. Again I repeat I am not condoning what has happened because it was bad, really bad, and there is absolutely no place for it in football or in our club. But I will stand behind Andrew 100% and so should everyone else. He has done a lot of good for our cub, puts his body on the line every week and it's times like this we have to come together to support the players and the club. Maybe wet wipe was harsh, but I stand behind the principle of my post.
Calvin on 10:45 - Nov 6 with 2597 viewsroccydaleian

Calvin on 09:55 - Nov 6 by 1907

It clearly wasn't labelling anybody who disagrees, it was those calling for him to be sacked. Massive overreaction judge on a stupid incident that happened in the heat of the moment. I can guarantee that those coming out with comments like that obviously don't understand the dangerously close line between passion and aggression athletes compete on. Again I repeat I am not condoning what has happened because it was bad, really bad, and there is absolutely no place for it in football or in our club. But I will stand behind Andrew 100% and so should everyone else. He has done a lot of good for our cub, puts his body on the line every week and it's times like this we have to come together to support the players and the club. Maybe wet wipe was harsh, but I stand behind the principle of my post.

Mcgahey is a brainless clown. No criticism of any other player. Absolute moron who is costing us points week in week out.... Your quote from earlier in the season, is that your version of getting behind the team?
Calvin on 11:35 - Nov 6 with 2497 views1907

Calvin on 10:45 - Nov 6 by roccydaleian

Mcgahey is a brainless clown. No criticism of any other player. Absolute moron who is costing us points week in week out.... Your quote from earlier in the season, is that your version of getting behind the team?

No that is my opinion of Mcgahey. How have we been doing since he was dropped? Supporting players in a time of need is different than criticising players who have cost us a ridiculous amount of points.
Calvin on 12:28 - Nov 6 with 2403 viewsmingthemerciless

Calvin on 11:35 - Nov 6 by 1907

No that is my opinion of Mcgahey. How have we been doing since he was dropped? Supporting players in a time of need is different than criticising players who have cost us a ridiculous amount of points.

When you're in a hole stop digging. That action is unsupportable. Even on the Rugby field were things are a bit more rough and ready it would be unsupportable and the culprit would be getting a long ban.

I played football to a decent standard and I've been sent off for violent conduct so I have a bit of an understanding what happens when the red mist comes down.
Calvin on 12:34 - Nov 6 with 2377 views442Dale

Calvin on 12:28 - Nov 6 by mingthemerciless

When you're in a hole stop digging. That action is unsupportable. Even on the Rugby field were things are a bit more rough and ready it would be unsupportable and the culprit would be getting a long ban.

I played football to a decent standard and I've been sent off for violent conduct so I have a bit of an understanding what happens when the red mist comes down.

And no matter what level anyone has played at, you know when you see something that's got little to do with the game. What we've seen is exactly that.

Calvin on 22:00 - Nov 6 with 2145 viewsWhiteyBFC

Last weekend, Gary O'Neil elbowed Sam Winnall at Oakwell. As he went down, O'Neil then stood on Sam's face. Not sure how much intention there was if I'm honest, but still. Blood everywhere. Nothing given. Ref waved play on for about 10 seconds until he saw the blood pouring from Winnall's head.

Yesterday, Winnall was caught again, this time by McFadzean of Burton. Again he went down, and this time the opponent then blatantly stamps on Winnall. Nothing given.

After what I saw in 2009 with Chris Morgan nearly killing Iain Hume at Oakwell, this kind of stuff really gets to me. It's so cowardly. So-called 'hard' men like Morgan, Thatcher, Keane et al who deliver cowardly blows.

But the Calvin Andrew incident is something else entirely. It's off the ball, it's beyond blatant and looks truly despicable. I can only assume Clarke was lucky and the blow didn't land correctly because he wouldn't be getting back up otherwise. I've seen folk in this thread defending Calvin. Yes, I know he's a Rochdale player, I know you feel loyal etc. But come on. That's proper sickening.

Whether the ban is appropriate is by the by. Morgan only got a yellow for his assault on Hume. I've seen players do similar and get away with it.

I hope Calvin comes out and apologises for his actions, and I think Dale should also make it clear that they are appalled by it. I don't give a shit what Clarke potentially did or said, that's not evidenced. Fact is, Andrew has run over, off the ball and swung an arm/elbow at an opponent. Evidence is there.

Feel sorry for Dale supporters and his teammates/Keith etc. He's let you all down.

The Winnall incidents if you're arsed:

Calvin on 22:08 - Nov 6 with 2090 views442Dale

That Winnall video, even putting the injury aside, is quite remarkable. "You bottleless get"

Calvin on 22:17 - Nov 6 with 2044 viewsWhiteyBFC

Calvin on 22:08 - Nov 6 by 442Dale

That Winnall video, even putting the injury aside, is quite remarkable. "You bottleless get"

It's a parody video. Well, the commentary is.

It's from a Castleford/Wigan Rugby League match years ago.

Calvin on 22:21 - Nov 6 with 2018 viewsjudd

Calvin on 22:00 - Nov 6 by WhiteyBFC

Last weekend, Gary O'Neil elbowed Sam Winnall at Oakwell. As he went down, O'Neil then stood on Sam's face. Not sure how much intention there was if I'm honest, but still. Blood everywhere. Nothing given. Ref waved play on for about 10 seconds until he saw the blood pouring from Winnall's head.

Yesterday, Winnall was caught again, this time by McFadzean of Burton. Again he went down, and this time the opponent then blatantly stamps on Winnall. Nothing given.

After what I saw in 2009 with Chris Morgan nearly killing Iain Hume at Oakwell, this kind of stuff really gets to me. It's so cowardly. So-called 'hard' men like Morgan, Thatcher, Keane et al who deliver cowardly blows.

But the Calvin Andrew incident is something else entirely. It's off the ball, it's beyond blatant and looks truly despicable. I can only assume Clarke was lucky and the blow didn't land correctly because he wouldn't be getting back up otherwise. I've seen folk in this thread defending Calvin. Yes, I know he's a Rochdale player, I know you feel loyal etc. But come on. That's proper sickening.

Whether the ban is appropriate is by the by. Morgan only got a yellow for his assault on Hume. I've seen players do similar and get away with it.

I hope Calvin comes out and apologises for his actions, and I think Dale should also make it clear that they are appalled by it. I don't give a shit what Clarke potentially did or said, that's not evidenced. Fact is, Andrew has run over, off the ball and swung an arm/elbow at an opponent. Evidence is there.

Feel sorry for Dale supporters and his teammates/Keith etc. He's let you all down.

The Winnall incidents if you're arsed:

Whitey, it has been unofficially reported on this board that Calvin s victim has written a letter in support of Calvin. In no way am I supporting Calvin but his victim appears to be.
Also elsewhere nordenblue has quite rightly observed the start of the video when Calvin is struggling with Peter Clarkes attention.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Calvin on 22:47 - Nov 6 with 1957 views49thseason

Calvin on 07:44 - Nov 6 by BartRowou

Nobody reads the Grauniad.
Calvin on 22:49 - Nov 6 with 1953 viewsWhiteyBFC

Calvin on 22:21 - Nov 6 by judd

Whitey, it has been unofficially reported on this board that Calvin s victim has written a letter in support of Calvin. In no way am I supporting Calvin but his victim appears to be.
Also elsewhere nordenblue has quite rightly observed the start of the video when Calvin is struggling with Peter Clarkes attention.

I suppose things will come out over time. But I can't look at that and see it as anything but despicable. On or off a football pitch, it's just cowardly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024