Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin 11:08 - Nov 2 with 62604 viewsmacro

Charged with violent conduct (I assume it's the challenge which Clarke went mad about)
Club going to protest against it so fingers crossed.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 11:37]
Calvin on 18:04 - Nov 7 with 3206 views49thseason

Calvin on 07:28 - Nov 7 by mingthemerciless

Ha, ha. I buy it every day when I'm in the UK along with about 800,000 other people. 8 million people browse the on line site apparently.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 8:20]

157,704 certificated daily sales for 29th August to 2nd of October . So not 800,000 or anywhere near.They do claim readership of 800,000, do you let 5 or 6 people read your copy every day?
Clearly they get decent visitors (around 8 million unique visitors per month but by comparison, the daily mail gets 59m) The guardian online will have to go behind a paywall in the near future and is already asking for users to donate.
Calvin on 18:55 - Nov 7 with 3029 viewsmingthemerciless

Calvin on 18:04 - Nov 7 by 49thseason

157,704 certificated daily sales for 29th August to 2nd of October . So not 800,000 or anywhere near.They do claim readership of 800,000, do you let 5 or 6 people read your copy every day?
Clearly they get decent visitors (around 8 million unique visitors per month but by comparison, the daily mail gets 59m) The guardian online will have to go behind a paywall in the near future and is already asking for users to donate.

It's money well spent. I have to pay € 4-50 for the Torygraph out in rural Spain. That really is a joke newspaper, unless you're a retired Colonel or Rear Admiral. The political cartoonist hasn't realised you're allowed to be funny now and again. I've never laughed once at any of his cartoons.

They do an 100 yrs ago in W W 1 in the Telegraph history thing and the writing then was better than anything in it today.

Anyway it's not about the quantity of the readership but the quality.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 18:59]
Calvin on 20:46 - Nov 7 with 2816 viewsrochdalefan9

its plain to the naked eye that the FA would have it in for the giant that is rochdale football club.
Amen

Rochdale should thoroughly examine Clarke's conduct throughout the match.
Calvin on 22:17 - Nov 7 with 2696 viewsnordenblue

Calvin on 20:46 - Nov 7 by rochdalefan9

its plain to the naked eye that the FA would have it in for the giant that is rochdale football club.
Amen

How/why would that justify what Calvin did?
Calvin on 22:52 - Nov 7 with 2635 viewsR17ALE

Calvin on 20:46 - Nov 7 by rochdalefan9

Amen

From what I've been told Clarke has been exemplary in his post-incident conduct.

His letter went along the lines: I've played Calvin many times and we've always given as good as we've got. On this occasion I'd given him plenty and possibly I'd gone too far and he reacted in a way that is totally out of character with the Calvin I've played against on so many times before. Calvin has been an honest pro, a tough opponent, and a credit to his profession.

I've second guessed some of that from a chat at Maidstone.

Although Calvin is deserving of his punishment, I hear it was Clarke's club who have been the antagonists in seeing justice correctly brought. Reading between the lines, Clarke has railed against his club's party line in support of a fellow pro.

And I don't want this to ignite any anti-Oldham nonsense as Calvin was in the wrong and Oldham were within their rights.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Calvin on 23:05 - Nov 7 with 2594 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 22:52 - Nov 7 by R17ALE

From what I've been told Clarke has been exemplary in his post-incident conduct.

His letter went along the lines: I've played Calvin many times and we've always given as good as we've got. On this occasion I'd given him plenty and possibly I'd gone too far and he reacted in a way that is totally out of character with the Calvin I've played against on so many times before. Calvin has been an honest pro, a tough opponent, and a credit to his profession.

Although Calvin is deserving of his punishment, I hear it was Clarke's club who have been the antagonists in seeing justice correctly brought. Reading between the lines, Clarke has railed against his club's party line in support of a fellow pro.

And I don't want this to ignite any anti-Oldham nonsense as Calvin was in the wrong and Oldham were within their rights.

Thanks for sharing.

I think the best way to get context on this is "what if the shoe was on the other foot?" I suspect Dale and indeed most clubs would have acted in the same way, i.e. to seek redress for an attack on one of our players which went unpunished at the time.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Calvin on 23:16 - Nov 7 with 2577 viewsSuddenLad

Calvin on 22:52 - Nov 7 by R17ALE

None of that surprises me at all. It is very rare for a professional footballer to seek retribution on another player after the game has finished. On the very rare occasions that it has happened, the consequences of the 'on-field' incident have been far more serious than that involving Calvin and Peter Clarke. Usually career ending challenges (Paul Elliott)

Someone in the Boardroom at Boundary Park has decided to give it an airing with the FA, which of course is their prerogative, but I wonder if they did it with Peter Clarkes backing ?

I suspect not, given that he seems to have gone the extra mile to help Calvin in his appearance at the FA by providing a seemingly good reference.

That leaves the unsavoury idea that it was a clear attempt to embarrass both the club (Dale) and the player (Calvin) by washing the affair In the public eye with the consequent adverse publicity.

I'm certain it would have been possible for the two protagonists to have had a private chinwag to clear the air if it was deemed necessary, even accompanied by a representative from each respective Boardroom.

The more I hear, the murkier it becomes......

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Calvin on 16:16 - Nov 8 with 2285 viewsNewtonDale

Did anyone see this on the BBC Sport Website in the Sportsday rolling sport news bit - apparently it was today back in 1995. Don't remember it myself

1995: Duncan Ferguson lost his appeal against the Scottish Football Association's 12-match ban for his on-field assault on Raith's John McStay in April, an offence for which he served a jail sentence.
Login to get fewer ads

Calvin on 09:11 - Nov 10 with 2072 viewsDaleiLama

Didn't want to post this thought on the new signing thread for obvious reasons (the long support of #55 pre-dates the Calvin incident and the two are entirely unconnected).

After a bad week for Dale fans and the club in terms of negative publicity, however, it is good to see Dale's true colours on full show to the world. Amazing the extent to which this truly humbling story has been recognised for what it is - a genuine attempt to bring some extra light into what most of the time must be a very dark place for all concerned.

I was particularly impressed by Hendo, a man who is "living the life" according to some. His visit must have meant such a lot to the wee fella. That's what I think of as the Dale way and hopefully many beyond our fanbase will better appreciate this now also.

[Post edited 10 Nov 2016 9:42]

Calvin on 13:18 - Nov 10 with 1938 viewsnordenblue

Calvin on 09:11 - Nov 10 by DaleiLama

Didn't want to post this thought on the new signing thread for obvious reasons (the long support of #55 pre-dates the Calvin incident and the two are entirely unconnected).

After a bad week for Dale fans and the club in terms of negative publicity, however, it is good to see Dale's true colours on full show to the world. Amazing the extent to which this truly humbling story has been recognised for what it is - a genuine attempt to bring some extra light into what most of the time must be a very dark place for all concerned.

I was particularly impressed by Hendo, a man who is "living the life" according to some. His visit must have meant such a lot to the wee fella. That's what I think of as the Dale way and hopefully many beyond our fanbase will better appreciate this now also.

[Post edited 10 Nov 2016 9:42]

Not a big fan of his interviews for various reasons in the past but I have to say what a quality heart felt and humble message he sends across in that,pure class Hilly.
On another note on the few occasions I've met Hendo hes always been a genuinely nice fella and very down to earth,there's a fair few I would suggest are possibly jealous of him for the career he leads and the business he runs very successfully off the pitch,both of which he puts a tremendous amount of dedication in so fair play to him.
Calvin on 14:28 - Nov 10 with 1882 viewsBendy

I've just read the FA's reasons for the 12 game ban. It sounds like they threw the book at him as the club/Calvin tried to claim it was not intentional and a miss-timed judgement.

The Panel completely rejected this claim as it was in their view obviously deliberate and could not have been "miss-timed" by definition. With that they then decided that the statement as a whole could not have been deemed credible as it did not seem to match the footage at all.

I can't link directly to the pdf, but a search for "Calvin" or Calvin Andrew will produce the pdf in the results

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/written-reasons
Calvin on 14:55 - Nov 10 with 1812 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 14:28 - Nov 10 by Bendy

I've just read the FA's reasons for the 12 game ban. It sounds like they threw the book at him as the club/Calvin tried to claim it was not intentional and a miss-timed judgement.

The Panel completely rejected this claim as it was in their view obviously deliberate and could not have been "miss-timed" by definition. With that they then decided that the statement as a whole could not have been deemed credible as it did not seem to match the footage at all.

I can't link directly to the pdf, but a search for "Calvin" or Calvin Andrew will produce the pdf in the results

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/written-reasons

Wow! Cant see them budging on the 12 games after that. Interesting that because Calvin didn't agree with the '3 game ban being inappropriate' they discounted his admission of guilt (not that he could do anything other than admit it after that video evidence). Seems Russ Green's statement did more harm than good also! Probably best to move on and take it on the chin (pardon the expression).

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Calvin on 15:45 - Nov 10 with 1750 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 13:18 - Nov 10 by nordenblue

Not a big fan of his interviews for various reasons in the past but I have to say what a quality heart felt and humble message he sends across in that,pure class Hilly.
On another note on the few occasions I've met Hendo hes always been a genuinely nice fella and very down to earth,there's a fair few I would suggest are possibly jealous of him for the career he leads and the business he runs very successfully off the pitch,both of which he puts a tremendous amount of dedication in so fair play to him.

Not a big fan of interviews with sports people (players or coaches) at all, especially when they have a mic stuffed into their face straight after the whistle has gone. Ludicrous generalisation but they are invariably agenda driven or full of bland platitudes to fulfil obligations and avoid punishment. The main exception for me is Olympians, who are genuinely interesting and often have a compelling story to tell.

Hendo nearly ran me over as I was going into the ground 2 seasons ago, just before he got to the car park entrance. It was my fault though, and I stopped on a sixpence when I saw him. Not a hint of frustration on his part, he very politely waved me on, smiled and wound his window down to talk to a fan.

Calvin on 15:47 - Nov 10 with 1742 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 14:55 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

Wow! Cant see them budging on the 12 games after that. Interesting that because Calvin didn't agree with the '3 game ban being inappropriate' they discounted his admission of guilt (not that he could do anything other than admit it after that video evidence). Seems Russ Green's statement did more harm than good also! Probably best to move on and take it on the chin (pardon the expression).

Me neither.

The best thing to be said about that are the words "Rochdale game" and "well attended" in the same report!

Calvin on 15:50 - Nov 10 with 1729 viewsfermin

Calvin on 14:55 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

How on earth the club/player thought saying the challenge was mistimed would be a good idea is beyond me. The panel must have thought they were crazy given the video evidence. I wouldn't be surprised if they added on extra games just for wasting time putting that argument forward.
Calvin on 15:53 - Nov 10 with 1720 viewsaleanddale

Calvin on 15:45 - Nov 10 by DaleiLama

Not a big fan of interviews with sports people (players or coaches) at all, especially when they have a mic stuffed into their face straight after the whistle has gone. Ludicrous generalisation but they are invariably agenda driven or full of bland platitudes to fulfil obligations and avoid punishment. The main exception for me is Olympians, who are genuinely interesting and often have a compelling story to tell.

Hendo nearly ran me over as I was going into the ground 2 seasons ago, just before he got to the car park entrance. It was my fault though, and I stopped on a sixpence when I saw him. Not a hint of frustration on his part, he very politely waved me on, smiled and wound his window down to talk to a fan.

Hendo is a top bloke..

I think he has one special moment left for us.

Special like Cheltenham away or Leeds in the cup.

I recon he will score a beautiful winner at giggle ( dramatic ) to ensure legend status!!

Hendo not firing on all cylinders this season but he still a class act.
Calvin on 16:00 - Nov 10 with 1700 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 15:47 - Nov 10 by DaleiLama

Me neither.

The best thing to be said about that are the words "Rochdale game" and "well attended" in the same report!

I noticed in summing up the reasons for the seriousness of the punishment they mentioned it happened in close vicinity to supporters. Would it help if we let them know that no one saw it!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Calvin on 16:03 - Nov 10 with 1689 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 16:00 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

I noticed in summing up the reasons for the seriousness of the punishment they mentioned it happened in close vicinity to supporters. Would it help if we let them know that no one saw it!

Can't be any worse than any defence put forward so far surely?

Calvin on 16:57 - Nov 10 with 1597 viewsD_Alien

To say I'm disappointed with RG's submission on behalf of Calvin would be an understatement, but it wouldn't have been submitted without prior approval by other senior people at the club. I wonder if that included anyone on the legal side?

As others have said, it probably did more harm than good. If this is what's meant by 'proper, proportionate and appropriate' you'd have to ask what isn't.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Calvin on 17:30 - Nov 10 with 1547 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 16:57 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

To say I'm disappointed with RG's submission on behalf of Calvin would be an understatement, but it wouldn't have been submitted without prior approval by other senior people at the club. I wonder if that included anyone on the legal side?

As others have said, it probably did more harm than good. If this is what's meant by 'proper, proportionate and appropriate' you'd have to ask what isn't.

No mention of Clarke's 'character witness statement' backing up Calvin? Or is that happening at the appeal?

Calvin on 17:34 - Nov 10 with 1530 viewsrichfoad32

Calvin on 17:30 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

No mention of Clarke's 'character witness statement' backing up Calvin? Or is that happening at the appeal?

Is there any actual evidence that Clarke ever wrote a letter to the F.A. backing Calvin up or is it just hearsay?
Calvin on 17:34 - Nov 10 with 1528 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 17:30 - Nov 10 by dingdangblue

Not sure how you appeal a mis-timed tackle which was an off the ball elbow? They've painted themselves into a corner with this defence and surely the only way out is to say they've changed their claim, but credibility was already an issue and this will just make it worse?

Calvin on 17:41 - Nov 10 with 1503 viewsNafelad

At least the club now know that Russ Green is not the man to choose, when a support statement is needed for a player in this situation.

Topcat

Calvin on 18:03 - Nov 10 with 1454 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 17:41 - Nov 10 by Nafelad

At least the club now know that Russ Green is not the man to choose, when a support statement is needed for a player in this situation.

Possibly not, but I'd find it incredible if the statement wasn't 'signed off' by others at the club - and surely Hilly himself would've (or should've) been consulted?

Giving that statement, in conjunction with the video, to a class of 11-years-olds would have them baying in disbelief.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Calvin on 18:12 - Nov 10 with 1421 viewsNafelad

Calvin on 18:03 - Nov 10 by D_Alien

Possibly not, but I'd find it incredible if the statement wasn't 'signed off' by others at the club - and surely Hilly himself would've (or should've) been consulted?

Giving that statement, in conjunction with the video, to a class of 11-years-olds would have them baying in disbelief.

I'd been happy with the way the club have been handling matters until now. Surely, there should have been more thought given to what the support statement needed to say - I can't believe that Russ Green was given the job, and left alone to come up with a suitable statement.

Topcat

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024