Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin 11:08 - Nov 2 with 62609 viewsmacro

Charged with violent conduct (I assume it's the challenge which Clarke went mad about)
Club going to protest against it so fingers crossed.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 11:37]
Calvin on 22:56 - Nov 6 with 3186 viewsjudd

Calvin on 22:49 - Nov 6 by WhiteyBFC

I suppose things will come out over time. But I can't look at that and see it as anything but despicable. On or off a football pitch, it's just cowardly.

Not nice granted but if Calvin wanted to do serious damage I'm sure he would have. Clarke played on in his usual robust manner and played yesterday. A wet sponge seemed to solve any damage.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Calvin on 23:19 - Nov 6 with 3125 viewsLaveritty

Calvin on 22:49 - Nov 6 by WhiteyBFC

I suppose things will come out over time. But I can't look at that and see it as anything but despicable. On or off a football pitch, it's just cowardly.

I don't think anybody on here would disagree with any of those comments but what has really shocked and stunned everyone is the fact that it is Calvin Andrew who has committed the offence. The guy has always come across as an honest and fair player and many people have referenced the fact that he has played over 300 (I think) games up front and been constantly engaged in physical battles yet this side of his character has never once manifested itself!!!

If you were to ask any Dale fan (who hadn't been aware of the events of the last few days) to name any Dale player of the current era (i.e. present and last 5 years or so) who could have committed such a vicious attack and I am sure most would probably get through about a hundred names before arriving at the name of Calvin Andrew.

Not attempting for one minute to excuse or justify the offence, because it looks worse every time I watch it, but merely trying to put into context the sheer amazement and numbness that we are feeling right now!!!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Calvin on 23:54 - Nov 6 with 3058 viewsWhiteyBFC

Calvin on 23:19 - Nov 6 by Laveritty

I don't think anybody on here would disagree with any of those comments but what has really shocked and stunned everyone is the fact that it is Calvin Andrew who has committed the offence. The guy has always come across as an honest and fair player and many people have referenced the fact that he has played over 300 (I think) games up front and been constantly engaged in physical battles yet this side of his character has never once manifested itself!!!

If you were to ask any Dale fan (who hadn't been aware of the events of the last few days) to name any Dale player of the current era (i.e. present and last 5 years or so) who could have committed such a vicious attack and I am sure most would probably get through about a hundred names before arriving at the name of Calvin Andrew.

Not attempting for one minute to excuse or justify the offence, because it looks worse every time I watch it, but merely trying to put into context the sheer amazement and numbness that we are feeling right now!!!

I've met Calvin. He came across as a real gent. I also rate him as a footballer and feel it took Dale fans a while to 'get him'. But again, I look at that and see it as a despicable attack. Things will come out in the wash, definitely. I'm sure he was provoked. He'd have to have serious issues to do that unprovoked. But aye, it's a shameful incident no matter how it's dressed up.

I think if I had to pick out a Barnsley player who I'd never imagine doing that, it'd be Tom Bradshaw. A real gent. Lovely lad. Barely gets a kick for us but comes into work every day, polite, smiling, and on the field he seems so fair. I'd be stunned if he dived, never mind attacked someone. But... if he did what Calvin did, I'd be ashamed and wouldn't even try and defend him.

I'd support him moving forward, after his ban, but only after an apology.

I would like to think most of you will feel similarly about Calvin.

Those saying "sack him" are just as bad as those trying to find reasons to defend him.
Calvin on 05:56 - Nov 7 with 2956 viewsnordenblue

Calvin on 23:54 - Nov 6 by WhiteyBFC

I've met Calvin. He came across as a real gent. I also rate him as a footballer and feel it took Dale fans a while to 'get him'. But again, I look at that and see it as a despicable attack. Things will come out in the wash, definitely. I'm sure he was provoked. He'd have to have serious issues to do that unprovoked. But aye, it's a shameful incident no matter how it's dressed up.

I think if I had to pick out a Barnsley player who I'd never imagine doing that, it'd be Tom Bradshaw. A real gent. Lovely lad. Barely gets a kick for us but comes into work every day, polite, smiling, and on the field he seems so fair. I'd be stunned if he dived, never mind attacked someone. But... if he did what Calvin did, I'd be ashamed and wouldn't even try and defend him.

Those saying "sack him" are just as bad as those trying to find reasons to defend him.

You wont find many on here trying to argue what Calvin did was in any way right,he's been crucified on here plenty of times for what's happened,I'd be fairly sure he's mortified himself now when looking back too.

Whilst what Calvins done is there for all to see,moving forwards there's plenty of other things in the sport that need changing too and wiping out of the game,the sly underhand "hidden" things like taking money and back handers,that's pretty despicable Whitey....for these types I'd throw the book at too...
Calvin on 07:00 - Nov 7 with 2901 viewsfitzochris

"I also rate him as a footballer and feel it took Dale fans a while to 'get him'."

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Calvin on 07:28 - Nov 7 with 2863 viewsmingthemerciless

Calvin on 22:47 - Nov 6 by 49thseason

Nobody reads the Grauniad.

Ha, ha. I buy it every day when I'm in the UK along with about 800,000 other people. 8 million people browse the on line site apparently.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 8:20]
Calvin on 08:26 - Nov 7 with 2768 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 07:00 - Nov 7 by fitzochris

"I also rate him as a footballer and feel it took Dale fans a while to 'get him'."

Does this mean there is still hope for RNL ?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Calvin on 08:43 - Nov 7 with 2729 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 07:00 - Nov 7 by fitzochris

Unnecessary

A few people posting that he doesn't score enough goals, plus the odd one or two not liking his style, falls a very long way short of 'Dale fans'

Many of us appreciated what he brought to the team, but as usual the negative posts get noticed more

[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 8:49]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Calvin on 09:45 - Nov 7 with 2629 viewsDaleiLama

Calvin on 23:54 - Nov 6 by WhiteyBFC

I don't have instant recall and haven't got time to read 14 pages of this thread, but I don't remember anyone on here "trying to find reasons to defend him". I cannot believe he wasn't provoked, but that isn't a defence of his actions. I think every Dale fan is in shock right now. We were flying prior to this incident and this feels like we've lost someone close to us. Not quite sure where you are coming from with this comment unless you are trying to stir the pot?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Calvin on 09:53 - Nov 7 with 2610 viewsToffeemanc

Calvin on 08:26 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

Does this mean there is still hope for RNL ?

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Calvin on 10:00 - Nov 7 with 2591 viewsfitzochris

Calvin on 08:43 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

Unnecessary

A few people posting that he doesn't score enough goals, plus the odd one or two not liking his style, falls a very long way short of 'Dale fans'

Many of us appreciated what he brought to the team, but as usual the negative posts get noticed more

[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 8:49]

Which is why I quoted that exact line.

Calvin on 11:19 - Nov 7 with 2501 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 10:00 - Nov 7 by fitzochris

Which is why I quoted that exact line.

Apologies, but i'd interpreted it the other way, as saluting it for its veracity

[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 11:23]

Calvin on 11:38 - Nov 7 with 2445 viewsfitzochris

Calvin on 11:19 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

Apologies, but i'd interpreted it the other way, as saluting it for its veracity

[Post edited 7 Nov 2016 11:23]

No, it was more a tongue-in-cheek bowing down to Whitey's superior football knowledge on all things Dale.

Calvin on 12:17 - Nov 7 with 2358 viewsD_Dale

And what about this, from Exeter vs Luton on Saturday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37879461

The Exeter player looks to elbow the Luton player in a similar way to Andrew's attack on Clarke. The ref shows him a yellow card - and sends off the Luton player (who is either a very good actor or genuinely amazed at getting a red card).
Calvin on 12:27 - Nov 7 with 2321 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin on 12:17 - Nov 7 by D_Dale

And what about this, from Exeter vs Luton on Saturday?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37879461

The Exeter player looks to elbow the Luton player in a similar way to Andrew's attack on Clarke. The ref shows him a yellow card - and sends off the Luton player (who is either a very good actor or genuinely amazed at getting a red card).

They were both shown yellow cards, but the Luton player's was his second, hence the red.

We need to be concerned with our own players, rather than those from other clubs.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Calvin on 12:34 - Nov 7 with 2298 viewsSuddenLad

Calvin on 12:27 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

They were both shown yellow cards, but the Luton player's was his second, hence the red.

We need to be concerned with our own players, rather than those from other clubs.

You're right, but of course Dale fans will now be looking for consistency from match officials and the FA when subsequent punishments are meted out.

I would say that was violent conduct, deserving of a red card, striking an opponent with a forearm across the back of the head. That said, not comparable with Calvins' premeditated wallop.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Calvin on 13:00 - Nov 7 with 2227 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 12:34 - Nov 7 by SuddenLad

You're right, but of course Dale fans will now be looking for consistency from match officials and the FA when subsequent punishments are meted out.

I would say that was violent conduct, deserving of a red card, striking an opponent with a forearm across the back of the head. That said, not comparable with Calvins' premeditated wallop.

Red card all day long, not sure why the ref hasn't issued one. Nothing like Calvin's however.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Calvin on 13:10 - Nov 7 with 2203 viewsD_Dale

Calvin on 12:27 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

I'd say we need to be primarily concerned with our own players, but inevitably comparisons are drawn with other cases. Regarding the Exeter player, he deliberately ran after and struck an opponent, not all that dissimilar to Andrew's actions. Yet a yellow card for him and a 12 match ban in the case of the Dale player.

Will the FA step in and take action in the case, mentioned earlier in this thread, of the Burton player who stamped on Winnall? When the incident was shown on Channel 5's The Championship programme the commentator said the Burton player had been 'naughty' but had got away with the ref not seeing it. Rather different from the torrent of media indignation directed at Andrew.
Calvin on 13:14 - Nov 7 with 2191 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin on 13:00 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

Red card all day long, not sure why the ref hasn't issued one. Nothing like Calvin's however.

Oh yes, I agree 100% about it being a red card. One can only assume the officials didn't get a decent view of the incident, in the same way as for Joe Bunney's red card at Swindon.

Calvin on 13:16 - Nov 7 with 2176 viewsTVOS1907

Calvin on 13:10 - Nov 7 by D_Dale

I'd say we need to be primarily concerned with our own players, but inevitably comparisons are drawn with other cases. Regarding the Exeter player, he deliberately ran after and struck an opponent, not all that dissimilar to Andrew's actions. Yet a yellow card for him and a 12 match ban in the case of the Dale player.

Will the FA step in and take action in the case, mentioned earlier in this thread, of the Burton player who stamped on Winnall? When the incident was shown on Channel 5's The Championship programme the commentator said the Burton player had been 'naughty' but had got away with the ref not seeing it. Rather different from the torrent of media indignation directed at Andrew.

But to continue finding other incidents smacks of paranoia.

Calvin has been punished, hopefully he will learn from it and then he and the club can move on.

The Exeter incident is nothing like what Calvin did.

Calvin on 13:30 - Nov 7 with 2121 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 13:16 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

But to continue finding other incidents smacks of paranoia.

Calvin has been punished, hopefully he will learn from it and then he and the club can move on.

The Exeter incident is nothing like what Calvin did.

Yes, I hope we're not going to be treated to a cornucopia of incidents being posted on here for comparative purposes

It does make you wonder though - if the ref had seen the incident and red-carded Calvin, would he have just got the standard ban?

Calvin on 14:13 - Nov 7 with 2045 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 13:30 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

Yes, I hope we're not going to be treated to a cornucopia of incidents being posted on here for comparative purposes

It does make you wonder though - if the ref had seen the incident and red-carded Calvin, would he have just got the standard ban?

I think it would have been taken further even if Calvin had got a red at the time. The media would have been all over it Saturday night and Sunday as it would have been shown straight away.

Calvin on 14:28 - Nov 7 with 1998 viewsWhiteyBFC

Calvin on 05:56 - Nov 7 by nordenblue

You wont find many on here trying to argue what Calvin did was in any way right,he's been crucified on here plenty of times for what's happened,I'd be fairly sure he's mortified himself now when looking back too.

Whilst what Calvins done is there for all to see,moving forwards there's plenty of other things in the sport that need changing too and wiping out of the game,the sly underhand "hidden" things like taking money and back handers,that's pretty despicable Whitey....for these types I'd throw the book at too...

If you're trying to dig my club out for Tommy Wright's behaviour I can only point you to the fact he was sacked on the spot. That kind of thing does indeed need removing from the game though, as does deliberately assaulting an opponent off the ball. But it's down to the FA I presume?

As I've just found out that our owner has cancer, I will just wish everyone the best and refuse to get into silly arguments. Life's too short.
Calvin on 14:43 - Nov 7 with 1953 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 14:28 - Nov 7 by WhiteyBFC

If you're trying to dig my club out for Tommy Wright's behaviour I can only point you to the fact he was sacked on the spot. That kind of thing does indeed need removing from the game though, as does deliberately assaulting an opponent off the ball. But it's down to the FA I presume?

As I've just found out that our owner has cancer, I will just wish everyone the best and refuse to get into silly arguments. Life's too short.

Thats shit news Whitey, get well soon Patrick Cryne. In keeping with this thread - hope he gives cancer the elbow.

Calvin on 15:24 - Nov 7 with 1866 viewsWhiteyBFC

Calvin on 14:43 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

Thats shit news Whitey, get well soon Patrick Cryne. In keeping with this thread - hope he gives cancer the elbow.

I like that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024