Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calvin 11:08 - Nov 2 with 62590 viewsmacro

Charged with violent conduct (I assume it's the challenge which Clarke went mad about)
Club going to protest against it so fingers crossed.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2016 11:37]
Calvin on 19:16 - Nov 4 with 3548 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 19:12 - Nov 4 by Bobbyjoe

Looks like pre-meditated cold blood rather than "red mist" to me. Should be sacked on the spot unless he apologises unreservedly, and explains what prompted it.The only thing that can in any way mitigate it would be if he had been racially abused, in which case I would have some sympathy.

He apologised immediately after the game - made a point of it by seeking out Clarke whilst he was standing over by the Willbutts stand.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Calvin on 19:20 - Nov 4 with 3505 viewsmacro

Calvin on 19:16 - Nov 4 by PDIDDY

Disgusting elbow, but it's Peter Clarkes fault , so some on here said ( because he's been doing it all his career. Pathetic .

Get a grip, it's only recently that the elbow has been seen. No one will be saying Calvin is innocent. There was lots of second guessing prior to the footage being seen and Clarke is no angel. What Calvin did though was totally unacceptable.
Calvin on 19:21 - Nov 4 with 3501 viewssweetcorn

Corruption from the FA. pmsl

Hope all the people who said clarke is a w*nker and it cant of been that bad feel a little silly now.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Calvin on 19:24 - Nov 4 with 3471 viewsleicesterdale

In my opinion, utterly barbaric, needs sacking. However good a player, it's entirely contrary to Dale values and brings the club into disrepute.
Calvin on 19:24 - Nov 4 with 3464 viewsrichfoad32

Calvin on 18:55 - Nov 4 by Phil

According to Soccerbase, Calvin has never been red carded in his entire career! 300+ games. And this for a player who, as a target-man centre forward, must have been subjected to kicks and elbows every single game. The elbow is clearly a bad one but I for one will give Calvin the benefit of the doubt that it was one "red mist" moment that is completely out of character. The ban itself is immense and the media will now paint Calvin as committing one of the worst offences in English football. It isn't. One elbow to the face is just as dangerous as any other, whether it is premeditated or not, and some very high-profile players (supposed "role models") have had 3-4 match bans for deliberate elbows. Would Rooney etc have had a 12 match ban for this .. no chance. Let's hope the rest of the team are spurred on, and once Calvin has served his time he can come back better than ever.

Got to question whether he'll come back the same player though, at least until the heat has died down and the incident has been forgotten. Rightly or wrongly, the punishment handed down portrays it as one of the worst offences on a football pitch so he'll become a marked man for opposing teams wind up merchants looking to make the most of any contact. Will he be afraid to play with the same sort of (honest) physicality?
Calvin on 19:24 - Nov 4 with 3457 viewssweetcorn

Also just to put things into perspective. Hendo got sent off for 2 fouls and then a kick out last year on consecutive games and he's the worst of the worst and needs to be kicked out of the club. Calvin performs something you'd see in ufc, which tbh looks premeditated and people are defending him because he's a nice lad.

This board man.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Calvin on 19:26 - Nov 4 with 3424 viewsdalenumber2

Very, very disappointed in Calvin. I bet he is disappointed in himself too. Totally out of character, whatever was he thinking? Always been one of my favourites because of the way he conducts himself in a very dignified manner. He must have been at the end of his tether with Clarke, either that or it was just a rash, mad act. Can't be excused, however I will forgive him when he returns and trust he will have learned a lesson.
Calvin on 19:28 - Nov 4 with 3399 viewsPDIDDY

Calvin on 19:20 - Nov 4 by macro

Get a grip, it's only recently that the elbow has been seen. No one will be saying Calvin is innocent. There was lots of second guessing prior to the footage being seen and Clarke is no angel. What Calvin did though was totally unacceptable.

Typical of people who slate decisions then after seeing it on tv wind their necks in, sack the tw at

Gissa job

Login to get fewer ads

Calvin on 19:32 - Nov 4 with 3364 viewsD_Alien

Calvin on 19:24 - Nov 4 by richfoad32

Got to question whether he'll come back the same player though, at least until the heat has died down and the incident has been forgotten. Rightly or wrongly, the punishment handed down portrays it as one of the worst offences on a football pitch so he'll become a marked man for opposing teams wind up merchants looking to make the most of any contact. Will he be afraid to play with the same sort of (honest) physicality?

It's a good point, but I hope he can get through this. We've all seen what happened, and whilst we're disgusted by it, I'm willing to bet there's no-one more disgusted than Calvin himself.

I believe the club should support him through this - after possibly fining him. Talk of sacking him is absolute rubbish - as incredible in it's own way as Calvin's retaliatory action. He's taken stick for 300+ games without a red card.

Talk of not being subject to a "red mist" is pathetic. Anyone who's seen him in action for Dale and now calls for his sacking are just attention-seeking. Well, you've got it. I'll be supporting Calvin when he's back in action.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Calvin on 19:33 - Nov 4 with 3360 viewsdannyuk

Calvin on 18:55 - Nov 4 by Phil

According to Soccerbase, Calvin has never been red carded in his entire career! 300+ games. And this for a player who, as a target-man centre forward, must have been subjected to kicks and elbows every single game. The elbow is clearly a bad one but I for one will give Calvin the benefit of the doubt that it was one "red mist" moment that is completely out of character. The ban itself is immense and the media will now paint Calvin as committing one of the worst offences in English football. It isn't. One elbow to the face is just as dangerous as any other, whether it is premeditated or not, and some very high-profile players (supposed "role models") have had 3-4 match bans for deliberate elbows. Would Rooney etc have had a 12 match ban for this .. no chance. Let's hope the rest of the team are spurred on, and once Calvin has served his time he can come back better than ever.

No Rooney didn't...
Calvin on 19:35 - Nov 4 with 3338 viewsfrenzied

Deserves a significant ban for that

Very unlike Calvin

Be interesting to see what length of ban is given to the next culprit
Calvin on 19:35 - Nov 4 with 3336 viewsmacro

Calvin on 19:28 - Nov 4 by PDIDDY

Typical of people who slate decisions then after seeing it on tv wind their necks in, sack the tw at

I haven't slated the decision prior so get your facts right. Don't worry your head about it though worry more about your mortgaged to the hilt club. Look at sacking people within giggle for financial mismanagement.
Calvin on 19:39 - Nov 4 with 3283 viewsSuddenLad

Calvin on 19:24 - Nov 4 by leicesterdale

In my opinion, utterly barbaric, needs sacking. However good a player, it's entirely contrary to Dale values and brings the club into disrepute.

No it doesn't. It brings Calvin Andrew into disrepute, no-one else. It will be a terrible stain on his career and professional reputation but all he can do is put it behind him and move on.

It would only reflect on the club in terms of disrepute if they had somehow instructed him to do it, which has never been suggested and is quite frankly ridiculous. The players are responsible for their own conduct.

I'm sure we're all genuinely shocked that Calvin has done what he did, but lets not talk of sacking him. That's as ridiculous as it gets.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Calvin on 19:46 - Nov 4 with 3211 viewsSaxonDale

Let yourself and the club down there, Calvin. Forget about the length of the ban, the incident itself is disgusting. However, we all make mistakes. No need for a Calvin effigy to be hanging from the Sandy Lane. Give Calvin a fine and a stern reminder of his role within the squad and lets move on.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 19:51]
Calvin on 19:50 - Nov 4 with 3151 viewsrobbowood

Calvin on 19:26 - Nov 4 by dalenumber2

Very, very disappointed in Calvin. I bet he is disappointed in himself too. Totally out of character, whatever was he thinking? Always been one of my favourites because of the way he conducts himself in a very dignified manner. He must have been at the end of his tether with Clarke, either that or it was just a rash, mad act. Can't be excused, however I will forgive him when he returns and trust he will have learned a lesson.

Absolutely agree 100%

After seeing the video I think the FA have been quite lenient in only giving a 12 match ban - a six month ban could easily have been justified. It's a miracle Clarke didn't have his jaw broken and his teeth smashed to bits. If this had happened in local league football the player would have been lucky not to be banned for life

Clarke no doubt had been having a go at Calvin prior to the incident - but for Calvin to do what he did defies explanation and there can be no excuse whatsoever. It is one thing to elbow someone in the face when going for the ball - but what happened here has no place in football and his previously good disciplinary record is neither here nor there

A public apology from Calvin to the club, the manager, the rest of the team and us supporters (as well as to Clarke and OAFC) for what he did should be forthcoming immediately
Calvin on 19:50 - Nov 4 with 3144 viewsleicesterdale

Calvin on 19:39 - Nov 4 by SuddenLad

No it doesn't. It brings Calvin Andrew into disrepute, no-one else. It will be a terrible stain on his career and professional reputation but all he can do is put it behind him and move on.

It would only reflect on the club in terms of disrepute if they had somehow instructed him to do it, which has never been suggested and is quite frankly ridiculous. The players are responsible for their own conduct.

I'm sure we're all genuinely shocked that Calvin has done what he did, but lets not talk of sacking him. That's as ridiculous as it gets.

I appreciate that my view is not popular, but I think the act was so premeditated and violent that such a response from the club would be justified. I think Calvin is actually quite lucky, he could have seriously injured Clarke and would then be facing more than a 12 match football ban.
Calvin on 20:21 - Nov 4 with 2902 views442Dale

Calvin on 19:16 - Nov 4 by PDIDDY

Disgusting elbow, but it's Peter Clarkes fault , so some on here said ( because he's been doing it all his career. Pathetic .

We're more than capable of admitting where our own issues are thanks.

I'm sure any on here who made comments ahead of the evidence know now we need to start being more aware of our own team's actions rather than looking elsewhere.

Same as when a football club ends up trying to explain why they are have issues with HMRC - accepting when you're wrong.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Calvin on 20:25 - Nov 4 with 2870 viewsLaveritty

Absolutely staggered at that sickening footage and cannot imagine what on earth caused him to act in that manner. What is also amazing, as has been mentioned several times, is that not one person, out of over 5,200 present in the ground at that time, seemed to have seen what happened.

Whilst not in any way attempting to justify or excuse the incident you have to wonder what (if anything?) led up to it? We may well never know, and apologies in advance to Clarke for the suggestion if he is totally innocent, but had he said something so totally out of order (the R word?) to Calvin that provoked such a violent assault? I really am struggling to come up with any other explanation.

He was becoming one of my all time favourite Dale players with his workrate and endeavour at both ends of the pitch and despite his relativly poor goalscoring record for a striker I would have had him as one of the first names on the teamsheet. Felt that he and Davies were developing into a real force upfront were their tireless running and closing down.

Seeing that footage however has sickened me and to think that I called out to him as he was going down the tunnel (as I found myself doing after most games recently!) "Well played Cal". Well sorry fella - I'd like to retract that now!

I really hope that we do learn more about the reason for this totally out of character episode because my overriding emotions are shock and bewildered disappointment!

Calvin - please make a statement?

But I would imagine the club would advise against that?

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

Calvin on 20:29 - Nov 4 with 2836 viewsShun

Silly, silly Calvin. A horrible act but I do believe that a player's previous conduct should be taken into account and that 12 games is too long a ban. It's already across the national media now and I fear for them painting Calvin as a thuggish pariah, and, even worse, making a point of Rochdale now having a player who's received the joint longest punishment in English football history. We aren't a club renowned for violent play and I'm disappointed that Calvin has left us with the above accolade.

As for the team, it's a blow but Hill will ensure other players fill the gap. Maybe McDermott will discover his form of last year, or perhaps even RNL will attempt to convince us why he is here.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:45]
Calvin on 20:29 - Nov 4 with 2835 views442Dale

Calvin on 19:50 - Nov 4 by robbowood

Absolutely agree 100%

After seeing the video I think the FA have been quite lenient in only giving a 12 match ban - a six month ban could easily have been justified. It's a miracle Clarke didn't have his jaw broken and his teeth smashed to bits. If this had happened in local league football the player would have been lucky not to be banned for life

Clarke no doubt had been having a go at Calvin prior to the incident - but for Calvin to do what he did defies explanation and there can be no excuse whatsoever. It is one thing to elbow someone in the face when going for the ball - but what happened here has no place in football and his previously good disciplinary record is neither here nor there

A public apology from Calvin to the club, the manager, the rest of the team and us supporters (as well as to Clarke and OAFC) for what he did should be forthcoming immediately

Good post. And while it's a fair point made by others that there may be reasons why that statement can't be made immediately, there has to be something forthcoming from Calvin and the club as soon as possible.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm the least sentimental get in the world, but my kids were genuinely upset hearing what Calvin had done this evening. They think he's ace, and he is. On this occasion he wasn't.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2016 20:30]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Calvin on 20:37 - Nov 4 with 2775 viewsKenBoon

Calvin on 19:33 - Nov 4 by dannyuk

No Rooney didn't...

That actually happened and he got away with it?
Calvin on 20:40 - Nov 4 with 2741 viewsJimmyRustler

Did anyone else hear on the radio that the incident was first reported to the Police by a spectator in the Sandy?
Calvin on 20:42 - Nov 4 with 2709 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 20:37 - Nov 4 by KenBoon

That actually happened and he got away with it?

I remember that Wigan game - and yes Rooney got away with it. Staggeringly.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Calvin on 20:52 - Nov 4 with 2624 viewsdingdangblue

Calvin on 20:25 - Nov 4 by Laveritty

Absolutely staggered at that sickening footage and cannot imagine what on earth caused him to act in that manner. What is also amazing, as has been mentioned several times, is that not one person, out of over 5,200 present in the ground at that time, seemed to have seen what happened.

Whilst not in any way attempting to justify or excuse the incident you have to wonder what (if anything?) led up to it? We may well never know, and apologies in advance to Clarke for the suggestion if he is totally innocent, but had he said something so totally out of order (the R word?) to Calvin that provoked such a violent assault? I really am struggling to come up with any other explanation.

He was becoming one of my all time favourite Dale players with his workrate and endeavour at both ends of the pitch and despite his relativly poor goalscoring record for a striker I would have had him as one of the first names on the teamsheet. Felt that he and Davies were developing into a real force upfront were their tireless running and closing down.

Seeing that footage however has sickened me and to think that I called out to him as he was going down the tunnel (as I found myself doing after most games recently!) "Well played Cal". Well sorry fella - I'd like to retract that now!

I really hope that we do learn more about the reason for this totally out of character episode because my overriding emotions are shock and bewildered disappointment!

Calvin - please make a statement?

But I would imagine the club would advise against that?

I think everyone was watching the ball with Lund and shouting for handball - I'm sure Calvin will regret his actions for the rest of his life - he'll have to live with the shame of what he's done.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Calvin on 20:56 - Nov 4 with 2591 viewsLaveritty

Something else which I found odd at the time and now wonder if it has any relevance? After the final whistle Calvin made attempts to offer an olive branch to Peter Clarke and having been rebuffed he was about to trot off down the tunnel when Keith Hill intercepted him and led him over to meet and greet some fans in the Main Stand towards the Pearl Street end. At the time I assumed it may have been family and friends but it did go on for a good few minutes and I was getting frustrated because I wanted to shout out my thanks for his efforts once again. I remember thinking "come on Calvin - why are you taking so long to come off the pitch?"

Maybe KH was one of the only people who saw it and was trying to defuse the situation like he did at the end of the first half against Bury by stopping our players from potentially getting involved in a tunnel bust up? Maybe he knew that if Calvin had gone straight down the tunnel there would have been an almighty fracas and possibly some revenge being sought?

Still immensely puzzled by it all!

Poll: Would you prefer relegation to happen…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024