Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren incoming 15:31 - May 1 with 143272 viewshubble

...according to a poster on WATRB...

Read it here, if you're not averse to a bit of rough: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/general/qpr-fans/2464866-mclaren-new-ma

[Post edited 1 May 2018 15:37]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

McClaren incoming on 11:33 - May 12 with 3384 viewsonlyrinmoray

OK I know its very likely to be Steven Maclaren but another to consider would be Neil Lennon doing a good job at Hibs I know hes marmite but would certainly wake a few up
McClaren incoming on 11:54 - May 12 with 3317 viewsTacticalR

According to that site RTID linked to Holloway's win rate is better than any manager since Warnock in 2012:
http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/queens-park-rangers/

His win rate is certainly better than the managers who have been in a comparable situation in the Championship (Ramsey and JFH).

Air hostess clique

McClaren incoming on 12:00 - May 12 with 3293 viewsBklynRanger

It still boggles my mind that Dowie got sacked, until I remember the ridiculous fools in charge of us at the time at which point it makes perfect sense. A quick look on wiki tells me we were the last team he managed which is a bit of a surprise.
McClaren incoming on 12:04 - May 12 with 3282 viewsPunteR

McClaren incoming on 11:54 - May 12 by TacticalR

According to that site RTID linked to Holloway's win rate is better than any manager since Warnock in 2012:

His win rate is certainly better than the managers who have been in a comparable situation in the Championship (Ramsey and JFH).

Thats slightly out dated as its got Ollie on 64 games i think its 80 games now. Surprised Warnock was only on 39% during our promotion season though.

How good was Venables ?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren incoming on 12:20 - May 12 with 3227 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 11:54 - May 12 by TacticalR

Which is the problem with win rate as a measure of performance. Holloway's results tended towards win or lose, with not many draws in between. Both Ramsey and Hasselbaink got more draws than Holloway and both returned a better Championship points per game ratio.

Funnily enough, points per game is more important than win ratio because draws still count towards the league table. This is Stats 101, people!

And RTID, ffs, would you please read the McClaren table before drawing your conclusions. The table is not in counting back chronological order, it is laid out there in, inexplicably, highest to lowest win ratio. Have a look at the start and finish dates for each appointment to put them in chronological order. It does not support your characterisation of a relentless decline.
[Post edited 12 May 2018 12:31]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

McClaren incoming on 12:46 - May 12 with 3159 viewsTacticalR

@isawqpratwcity 'Which is the problem with win rate as a measure of performance. Holloway's results tended towards win or lose, with not many draws in between. Both Ramsey and Hasselbaink got more draws than Holloway and both returned a better Championship points per game ratio.'

Fair enough. For some reason Wiki also uses win rate as the key metric in club managerial history.

I guess win rate is more important than it used to be in the 2-points per win era, although I am not sure if that is reason that it is used. Perhaps it's just the simplest thing to use.

Air hostess clique

McClaren incoming on 13:02 - May 12 with 3111 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 12:46 - May 12 by TacticalR

@isawqpratwcity 'Which is the problem with win rate as a measure of performance. Holloway's results tended towards win or lose, with not many draws in between. Both Ramsey and Hasselbaink got more draws than Holloway and both returned a better Championship points per game ratio.'

Fair enough. For some reason Wiki also uses win rate as the key metric in club managerial history.

I guess win rate is more important than it used to be in the 2-points per win era, although I am not sure if that is reason that it is used. Perhaps it's just the simplest thing to use.

I don't understand why it persists, either. Sure, everybody wants to see wins, but in comparing the fairly similar win ratios of two different managers, it can easily lead to an incorrect conclusion of who is more effective.

McClaren incoming on 13:44 - May 12 with 3013 viewsBoston

McClaren incoming on 13:02 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

I don't understand why it persists, either. Sure, everybody wants to see wins, but in comparing the fairly similar win ratios of two different managers, it can easily lead to an incorrect conclusion of who is more effective.

Why don't we just move to a loss rate?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

McClaren incoming on 14:03 - May 12 with 2946 viewsTacticalR

McClaren incoming on 13:44 - May 12 by Boston

Or get rid of points entirely.

Air hostess clique

McClaren incoming on 14:07 - May 12 with 2934 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 13:44 - May 12 by Boston

If you're a Holloway supporter, when the loss rate comes up in conversation, cough and change the subject.

McClaren incoming on 14:22 - May 12 with 2886 viewsJamesB1979

McClaren incoming on 07:26 - May 12 by RTID

First post on here but posted loads on Not606.

Why don't we look at some facts to drive our opinions?

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/steve-mcclaren/

Not pretty reading I'm afraid. Unless I am mistaken, the graph looks fairly depressing and poses the question as to why The Board would actually want to appoint a man with that record? With every successive managerial post, without exception, his win rate has got worse.

Do you think we should print this off and post it snail mail to The Board as part of their 'due diligence'?

We've seen this so many times with managers and players. Either they or The Board believe it will be better this time at QPR. In this instance, history suggests it will probably not be so.

It’s amazing how when you rank it in order of win rate that each win rate gets lower as you look down the page.
McClaren incoming on 14:28 - May 12 with 2859 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren incoming on 14:07 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

If you're a Holloway supporter, when the loss rate comes up in conversation, cough and change the subject.

You mean like when we won a game with IH you stayed off the board for a day or two.

Hmm

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren incoming on 14:38 - May 12 with 2828 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 14:28 - May 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

You mean like when we won a game with IH you stayed off the board for a day or two.

Hmm

Sorry, 2T2B, that never happened. I could joyfully celebrate the wins and give all due credit to Holloway. It didn't contradict my argument that he was inconsistent and, overall, not very good.

I understand. It's a bad time for you.

McClaren incoming on 14:48 - May 12 with 2797 views2Thomas2Bowles

McClaren incoming on 14:38 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

Sorry, 2T2B, that never happened. I could joyfully celebrate the wins and give all due credit to Holloway. It didn't contradict my argument that he was inconsistent and, overall, not very good.

can't arsed
[Post edited 12 May 2018 14:52]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

McClaren incoming on 14:58 - May 12 with 2747 viewsAshdown_Ranger

McClaren incoming on 14:38 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

"I understand. It's a bad time for you.

Sorry, but this comes across as a disingenous, cheap shot in poor taste.
McClaren incoming on 15:08 - May 12 with 2713 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 14:58 - May 12 by Ashdown_Ranger

What can I say? 2T2B has been the most vocal and complete Holloway supporter, bar none. I think that has been a point of pride for him. The club has effectively just told him they think he is wrong, too.

And he is wrong on me going awol after wins.

McClaren incoming on 16:15 - May 12 with 2560 viewsQPR_John

McClaren incoming on 14:58 - May 12 by Ashdown_Ranger

I'm sure 2T2B does not need you to defend him he is perfectly able to pick out disingenuous posts and cheap shots after all he is a master at them himself
McClaren incoming on 16:23 - May 12 with 2531 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 16:15 - May 12 by QPR_John

I'm sure 2T2B does not need you to defend him he is perfectly able to pick out disingenuous posts and cheap shots after all he is a master at them himself

I don't know why Ashdown apologised before calling me disingenuous.

McClaren incoming on 16:25 - May 12 with 2515 viewsdanehoop

McClaren incoming on 15:08 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

What can I say? 2T2B has been the most vocal and complete Holloway supporter, bar none. I think that has been a point of pride for him. The club has effectively just told him they think he is wrong, too.

And he is wrong on me going awol after wins.

wum

Never knowingly understood

McClaren incoming on 16:26 - May 12 with 2508 viewsblacky200

Have we sacked him before we announced him.
Seriously though, what's the rush? All the players are on holiday and we can't do any business until the window slams open.
McClaren incoming on 16:30 - May 12 with 2479 viewsisawqpratwcity

McClaren incoming on 16:25 - May 12 by danehoop

wum

'Back atcha.

McClaren incoming on 16:38 - May 12 with 2456 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Stats , schmats!

Which would you pay to go and watch?

A Luigi De Canio team or a JFH team?

A Magilton team or a Sousa team.

Haven't got a clue about the stats, but I know where I would be happy.
McClaren incoming on 16:55 - May 12 with 2426 viewsAshdown_Ranger

McClaren incoming on 16:23 - May 12 by isawqpratwcity

I don't know why Ashdown apologised before calling me disingenuous.

I'm not apologising.

I was sorry that someone on a (usually) friendly message board has to retaliate in a very bad-taste way to someone who's just lost their mother.

I'm not defending anyone, just expressing a view that perhaps a bit of decency and consideration should be shown and people could maybe rise above the 'but he started it' kind of justification in these situations.
McClaren incoming on 17:03 - May 12 with 2407 viewsEsox_Lucius

McClaren incoming on 16:55 - May 12 by Ashdown_Ranger

I'm not apologising.

I was sorry that someone on a (usually) friendly message board has to retaliate in a very bad-taste way to someone who's just lost their mother.

I'm not defending anyone, just expressing a view that perhaps a bit of decency and consideration should be shown and people could maybe rise above the 'but he started it' kind of justification in these situations.

Are you saying 2 Thomas 2 Bowles is Holloway?

The grass is always greener.

McClaren incoming on 17:04 - May 12 with 2403 viewsFDC

Misunderstandings upon misunderstandings....

Although ISaw is being quite scrappy lately , I'm pretty sure he didn't know 2T2B had recenty lost his mother and was referring to it being hard for him to come to terms with Holloway leaving.
[Post edited 12 May 2018 17:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024