Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol queues. 13:36 - Sep 25 with 29450 viewsSnipper

Bloody big queue at the petrol station today.

When will these tossers learn that it’s the media scaremongering?

Anyway, nearly 2 hours in a queue, and I didn’t even want any bloody petrol. I only wanted this months version of Razzle and a packet of tissues.

That’s me sorted for the weekend. 😜😜
Petrol queues. on 08:05 - Sep 28 with 1901 viewsgazza1

Petrol queues. on 21:59 - Sep 27 by Ranger_Things

Standard Government practice:

Government ignores problem.
Government denies there is a problem.
Government blames [delete as necessary] EU/Chinese/Migrants/BBC/Public/BLM/Wokeness/Labour
Government performs massive costly U-turn under the cover of the next crisis/scandal hitting the front pages.

Blame the papers, there is no shortage of petrol, people are panic buying.

But hey, blame the Tories!!!
Petrol queues. on 08:06 - Sep 28 with 1903 viewsWatford_Ranger

Petrol queues. on 07:56 - Sep 28 by stevec

Interesting conundrum here.

The usual suspects seem to be slating the government, crying out for instant satisfaction namely in the reintroduction of cheap EU labour that suppresses the wages of those they pretend to support whilst those of us who are meant to be ‘uncaring’ seem prepared to accept a little short term pain if it means previously exploited British workers get the upper hand from the shortages and receive increased wages that reflect their true worth.

No wonder people have stopped voting Labour.

The “Cheap EU Labour” ship has sailed and we’re all relying on this government to be competent. Whether you’re Tory, Labour or neither that’s worrying IMO because they’re by any yardstick absolutely dreadful and not bright enough people.
Petrol queues. on 08:08 - Sep 28 with 1887 viewsnix

On a serious note, is anyone in the London area managing to get petrol? Husband went to five different petrol stations last night. Four didn't have any and the fifth he worked out would take eleven hours to get to the front of the queue. I usually like to get to HQ midweek by car but having to use public transport tonight as down to very low supplies.
Petrol queues. on 08:18 - Sep 28 with 1867 viewsMick_S

Petrol queues. on 21:34 - Sep 27 by colinallcars

Just noticed the word Queue has four consecutive vowels.
Not as good as facetious which features all five vowels in the correct order.
Not a lot o' people know that.

My brother’s forename/surname contains all the vowels in the correct order. Put that in your pipe.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Petrol queues. on 08:20 - Sep 28 with 1854 viewsMick_S

Petrol queues. on 08:08 - Sep 28 by nix

On a serious note, is anyone in the London area managing to get petrol? Husband went to five different petrol stations last night. Four didn't have any and the fifth he worked out would take eleven hours to get to the front of the queue. I usually like to get to HQ midweek by car but having to use public transport tonight as down to very low supplies.

I’m lucky enough not to have to bother, nix. I was out yesterday and of the two local stations, one had a queue and the other was out of fuel. Feckin’ ridiculous situation.

Edit: Just remembered - we have a full skip including greedy boards outside the house. No fuel = no skip lorry.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 8:24]

Petrol queues. on 08:32 - Sep 28 with 1815 viewsCiderwithRsie

As Mervyn King pointed out about Northern Rock, once thee's a run on something the rational thing is to stock up. It's the government's job to manage that and it's the job of the media to report what is happening. The root of the panic is that people have found out the truth i.e. that supplies are fragile.

In Northern Ireland and all across Europe there are shortages of drivers but the supply chain isn't fragile so no-one is panicking. There's a bloody obvious distinction between mainland GB and NI + the rest of Europe which I won't bother to mention because you all know it.

I wasn't able to fill up late on Sunday or any tine yesterday and am today about to drive my daughter across Wales to uni on half a tank - I'm pretty sure that's enough to get me back but I'm not certain. Unlike Boris Johnson I'm not a tosser and I don't like winging it when in normal life I'd just put £30 in the tank. It might just about be enough to get me to my customer on Thursday because they'r every local but definitely not to my Friday one, at which point I'm losing money (and I earn less than lorry drivers thanks very much so I'm not so keen on making that sacrifice for the greater good).

If I'd been "selfish" or "stupid" and sat in the petrol queue I saw on Sunday pm I'd be fine. So long as that's true the blame isn't with the people in the queue, it's with the people who made it smart to queue.
Petrol queues. on 08:38 - Sep 28 with 1794 viewsQPR_Jim

The usual suspects seem to be slating the government, crying out for instant satisfaction namely in the reintroduction of cheap EU labour that suppresses the wages of those they pretend to support whilst those of us who are meant to be ‘uncaring’ seem prepared to accept a little short term pain if it means previously exploited British workers get the upper hand from the shortages and receive increased wages that reflect their true worth.

Not going to respond to actual points then. Do you think chucking lorry drivers an extra 5k a year is going to suddenly make p*ssing in a bottle at the side of the road because there's not enough truck stops more glamorous? I'm sure the extra money will be appreciated (if we ignore inflation biting into it) but I'm not sure how much more attractive it would be to newcomers.

Should we fix the issue of lack of nurses simply by offering them the same wages as doctors rather than making it more affordable to train and improve conditions. What do you do when the doctors decide not to bother and then there's a shortage of them, throw even more money at it.

Love the way you slip into the victim role as well, nobody has called you uncaring just pointing out the many ways in which your suggestion is flawed. A more nuanced approach is required.
Petrol queues. on 08:50 - Sep 28 with 1749 viewsnix

Petrol queues. on 08:20 - Sep 28 by Mick_S

I’m lucky enough not to have to bother, nix. I was out yesterday and of the two local stations, one had a queue and the other was out of fuel. Feckin’ ridiculous situation.

Edit: Just remembered - we have a full skip including greedy boards outside the house. No fuel = no skip lorry.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 8:24]

Glad to hear it's not causing too much bother Mick.

Good luck with the skip.

Cider I hope you get to your clients okay. It's really bad when people are risking their livelihoods.
Login to get fewer ads

Petrol queues. on 08:52 - Sep 28 with 1735 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Petrol queues. on 14:29 - Sep 27 by stevec

Wonder if the government could put the army in on petrol distribution, tell the likes of mega rich BP they’ll be paying the army £200 an hour per head until they pay enough to employ proper staff, whether then the oil companies might get their act together.

Too many companies getting wealthy on cheap EU labour this century, time for a shake up.

Only took 4 pages until we really got to the heart of the issue!

Since WW2, there has been an exponential shift within developed/western countries towards undermining the integrity and importance of many jobs. Young people are 'required' to go to university to get increasingly worthless degrees, so that they will then have to incur further debt to acquire increasingly expensive masters degrees. All the time, a growing number of work sectors/jobs are seen as being such, that we want 'foreigners' to do them and, as Steve C rightly points out, for increasingly lower wages.

Having lived and worked in receiving and sending countries of migrant workers, Brexit is not the cause of the problem per se, but it has brought the issue to the fore.

As developed nations seek out more and cheaper labour, it does so not to deliver cheaper products and service to end users in developed nations (are you Nike trainers cheaper in the US now they are made in Indonesia?), and neither do they care the impact on the sending nation.

Hopefully, COVID (and Brexit) might make the UK at least, start respecting the importance of many jobs, and the workers that do them.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Petrol queues. on 08:59 - Sep 28 with 1720 viewsizlingtonhoop

Petrol queues. on 00:33 - Sep 28 by LythamR

acedious. 8 characters but all 5 vowels in order

to be fair I did look it up because i am a bit acedious!

Knightsbridge is the only Tube Station that has six successive consonants in its name.

Unless we count Aldwych, which is A. closed, and B. The 'y' acts as a vowel.
Petrol queues. on 09:37 - Sep 28 with 1608 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Petrol queues. on 08:50 - Sep 28 by nix

Glad to hear it's not causing too much bother Mick.

Good luck with the skip.

Cider I hope you get to your clients okay. It's really bad when people are risking their livelihoods.

The Shell garage near me (West London) opened up again this morning so they are refueling them. Unfortunately of course now the road is blocked again. What a mess.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Petrol queues. on 09:56 - Sep 28 with 1545 viewsGloryHunter

Petrol queues. on 17:06 - Sep 27 by Juzzie

You say the government were warned back in June that a fuel crisis would happen. Do you have any links to this as I genuinely don't recall seeing any.

Like most supply chain operations these days everything is done on an in/out (ooh err) basis so deliveries to forecourts etc are done based on the known weekly demand that will have been assessed over many months/years to keep it ticking over.

One news report of a few forecourts running out and the minute everyone panics and buys it becomes a crisis but it's only a crisis because idiots have gone in their tens of thousands to fill up their cars that are already 1/2 - 3/4 full.

You say the government were warned back in June that a fuel crisis would happen. Do you have any links to this as I genuinely don't recall seeing any.

Road Haulage Association, 23rd June 2021.
"The letter, which was sent today, was organised by the Road Haulage Association and calls on Boris Johnson to intervene personally.
Signatories include: the Food and Drink Federation; British Frozen Food Federation; Federation of Wholesale Distributors; Cold Chain Federation; Meat Producers Association and the British Beer and Pub Association.
It states: “We firmly believe that intervention from the Prime Minister / Cabinet Office is the only way we will be able to avert critical supply chains failing at an unprecedented and unimaginable level. Supermarkets are already reporting that they are not receiving their expected food stocks and, as a result, there is considerable wastage.”
“We are weeks away from gaps on the shelves, it is as serious as that,” says Richard Burnett, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association.
“The government needs to treat this as an absolute priority.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-23/were-weeks-away-from-gaps-on-the-shelves-bus
Petrol queues. on 09:57 - Sep 28 with 1545 viewsCiderwithRsie

Petrol queues. on 08:52 - Sep 28 by PlanetHonneywood

Only took 4 pages until we really got to the heart of the issue!

Since WW2, there has been an exponential shift within developed/western countries towards undermining the integrity and importance of many jobs. Young people are 'required' to go to university to get increasingly worthless degrees, so that they will then have to incur further debt to acquire increasingly expensive masters degrees. All the time, a growing number of work sectors/jobs are seen as being such, that we want 'foreigners' to do them and, as Steve C rightly points out, for increasingly lower wages.

Having lived and worked in receiving and sending countries of migrant workers, Brexit is not the cause of the problem per se, but it has brought the issue to the fore.

As developed nations seek out more and cheaper labour, it does so not to deliver cheaper products and service to end users in developed nations (are you Nike trainers cheaper in the US now they are made in Indonesia?), and neither do they care the impact on the sending nation.

Hopefully, COVID (and Brexit) might make the UK at least, start respecting the importance of many jobs, and the workers that do them.

Excellent post Honney, but it's a fact that HGV drivers are (and have been) paid better on the continent and apparently have better conditions (truck stops etc); so the cheap-foreign labour issue isn't necessarily tied to being in or out of the EU.

In the 80s the UK deliberately went down a route of breaking Trade Unions, no minimum wage until Blair, making it harder to claim Unfair Dismissal, cutting unemployment benefits etc to make the labour market "more flexible". Low pay and worse conditions weren't a side-product, it was the explicit aim - "we can't pay ourselves more than we earn." The UK Govt boasted about how much more competitive we ("the Anglo-Saxon model") were than other countries and countries like Germany and now France have moved (a bit) our way to stay competitive.

The reason the same single market didn't push down wages in Europe as much as in the UK is that those countries kept regulations and controls on the labour market which protected workers, including unemployed ones. We didn't and the labour market reacted accordingly and as it was intended to do.

We've also got to recognise that some jobs e.g. seasonal agricultural work or international lorry driving only appeal to people with certain characteristics and circumstances. It doesn't matter how much you paid me to drive a lorry, any time over the last 10 years I was bringing up kids on my own I wouldn't take a job that didn't get me home each evening. In some cases you need to maximise your access to the whole of a relatively small pool of people who move around as opportunity arises.
Petrol queues. on 09:57 - Sep 28 with 1544 viewsLongsufferingR

Petrol queues. on 21:34 - Sep 27 by colinallcars

Just noticed the word Queue has four consecutive vowels.
Not as good as facetious which features all five vowels in the correct order.
Not a lot o' people know that.

....so does abstemious
Petrol queues. on 10:14 - Sep 28 with 1500 viewsJuzzie

Petrol queues. on 09:56 - Sep 28 by GloryHunter

Road Haulage Association, 23rd June 2021.
"The letter, which was sent today, was organised by the Road Haulage Association and calls on Boris Johnson to intervene personally.
Signatories include: the Food and Drink Federation; British Frozen Food Federation; Federation of Wholesale Distributors; Cold Chain Federation; Meat Producers Association and the British Beer and Pub Association.
It states: “We firmly believe that intervention from the Prime Minister / Cabinet Office is the only way we will be able to avert critical supply chains failing at an unprecedented and unimaginable level. Supermarkets are already reporting that they are not receiving their expected food stocks and, as a result, there is considerable wastage.”
“We are weeks away from gaps on the shelves, it is as serious as that,” says Richard Burnett, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association.
“The government needs to treat this as an absolute priority.”

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-06-23/were-weeks-away-from-gaps-on-the-shelves-bus

Interesting, thanks. However, I can't see any mention of petrol but do get that it would be a matter of time. I truly think if that news report hadn't gone out last week and The Sun (amongst others), who stll have a daily paper readership of some 2.5 million, then this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm not in favour of censorship but I'm almost certain all sorts of things go on that we never get to hear about and i do think that some reports can do more harm than good.

I guess it's about time those in their ivory towers who consider themselves the governance of the country finally realise it's the 'plebs' who keep the country going, not them.
Petrol queues. on 10:19 - Sep 28 with 1490 viewsrobith

I think this might be your magnum opus
Petrol queues. on 10:20 - Sep 28 with 1484 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 00:35 - Sep 28 by essextaxiboy

If this crisis was created by Brexit why has it hit now 5 years after the vote and 9 months after we left .Did all the drivers leave last week ?
We left the EU not Europe ,you still live in Europe .
If you want to take up Spanish nationality they insist you renounce your UK one. IMO leaving the oldest democracy in the world for one 40 years old sitting on the powder keg of 37% youth unemployment would be a bad move . You could just vote for a party that would take us back in or hold another referendum .
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 0:37]

We only left the EU last year so it has had an affect but is not the only reason. It's a perfect storm of poor infrastructure, brexit, a pandemic and idiots panicking to make the problem worse.

Saw and interview with guy from logistics Uk yesterday saying how this had been coming for 15 years due to age of drivers and how reliant we were on drivers from Europe. Several governments had been warned but ignored and now shit has hit the fan
Petrol queues. on 10:28 - Sep 28 with 1460 viewsGloryHunter

The chaos on Great Britain’s petrol station forecourts has been worsened by hundreds of panicking motorists filling their tanks with the wrong kind of fuel, breakdown services have reported. More than five times as many people as usual in the UK put diesel in their petrol engine or vice versa

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/27/petrol-station-chaos-worsened-b
Petrol queues. on 10:54 - Sep 28 with 1411 viewsTheChef

Petrol queues. on 10:28 - Sep 28 by GloryHunter

The chaos on Great Britain’s petrol station forecourts has been worsened by hundreds of panicking motorists filling their tanks with the wrong kind of fuel, breakdown services have reported. More than five times as many people as usual in the UK put diesel in their petrol engine or vice versa

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/27/petrol-station-chaos-worsened-b

The biggest problem is humans.

I for one will welcome our ant overlords.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Petrol queues. on 11:06 - Sep 28 with 1370 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Petrol queues. on 10:54 - Sep 28 by TheChef

The biggest problem is humans.

I for one will welcome our ant overlords.

Is that the one with the big forehead and recent issues splashed all over the tabloids, or the more diminutive Geordie?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Petrol queues. on 11:10 - Sep 28 with 1362 viewsPinnerPaul

Petrol queues. on 19:12 - Sep 27 by daveB

How dare they report on whats happening.

There is dwindling supplies as idiots are going out and buying it all. that's not scaremongers thats reporting what is happening whilst offering the governments alternative point of view to bring balance

If we're getting into semantics, all supplies of everything are constantly 'dwindling' as people buy them!
Petrol queues. on 11:14 - Sep 28 with 1354 viewsPinnerPaul

Petrol queues. on 19:31 - Sep 27 by daveB

how do you work that out?
BP leaked a memo saying they were short of drivers but it was only a temporary issue. This was rightly reported in the media then people lost their minds. All media reports have said all along there was no need to panic buy

"All media, all along"?

"Britain Running on Empty" - Daily Mail

"Fuel shortage expected to last 10 days, driver shortage a lot longer" - Daily Mirror

No real need to mention panic buying when you print that is there?

You can't print, write and report things like that and say "Well, no one said you should panic buy" !
Petrol queues. on 11:20 - Sep 28 with 1333 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Footage of the queues and fights is being shown in Venezuela on TV a text told me this morning from a girl living there.

I've told her it's due to idiots.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Petrol queues. on 11:27 - Sep 28 with 1320 viewsMick_S

Petrol queues. on 11:14 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

"All media, all along"?

"Britain Running on Empty" - Daily Mail

"Fuel shortage expected to last 10 days, driver shortage a lot longer" - Daily Mirror

No real need to mention panic buying when you print that is there?

You can't print, write and report things like that and say "Well, no one said you should panic buy" !

“We’re fecked”

Bloke in Wilco car park.

Petrol queues. on 11:48 - Sep 28 with 1280 viewsEsox_Lucius

Latest tin foil hat routine doing the rounds. "Fuel has a short shelf life and all the fuel that was stored in ships all over the world when the price dropped through the floor is now nearing that expiry date and needs to be sold. Wake up people".
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 12:20]

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024