Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol queues. 13:36 - Sep 25 with 28976 viewsSnipper

Bloody big queue at the petrol station today.

When will these tossers learn that it’s the media scaremongering?

Anyway, nearly 2 hours in a queue, and I didn’t even want any bloody petrol. I only wanted this months version of Razzle and a packet of tissues.

That’s me sorted for the weekend. 😜😜
Petrol queues. on 19:48 - Sep 27 with 2115 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 19:15 - Sep 27 by daveB

last 2 months the shelves at my local sainsburys have been a bit bare. Mostly things like ready meals and packaged foods they are not out of them but a lot less than they usually have.

I’ve just spent 4 weeks travelling in Europe. No petrol shortages, no food shortages and generally normal service throughout. Our mess was created by Brexit and we need to own it. The arrogance prevailing in this country is vomit-inducing. The current government has spend the last 5 yrs re-creating this country in a shit-pile which is now universally hated, especially in Europe. I left the US 18 months ago to come home - what a fecking mistake. As soon as I can I will be moving full-time to Spain.
Petrol queues. on 20:11 - Sep 27 with 2032 viewsSuperhoops2808

Petrol queues. on 19:13 - Sep 27 by QPR_Jim

They were always going to buckle because that was the plan all along. We need skilled labour and we need to encourage people into the areas of employment we're short on, it's not going to happen as overnight. So as quick as you can say points base Australian style immigration system, they're going to need to hand out visas to cover the short fall. Nurses was always the indicator for this policy.

A lot of the increases in wages for people in the supply chain of fuel or food are going to be passed on to consumers (companies can't sacrifice profit after all) which will drive inflation, so their extra pay won't go as far. Inflation will also lead to interest increasing which won't help people looking to borrow to buy a house.

I think it would be better if the government made the jobs such a lorry driver more appealing by providing better facilities, offering subsidies for training and maybe changing regs so breaks are paid for etc.

Anyway whoever at BP leaked that memo certainly earned their bonus this year.

And there in lies the problem... No skilled journalists like has been suggested on this thread, but a lazy one picking up on a leak from a BP employee who clearly has a hidden agenda and the journalist in turn has sparked this ridiculous panic buying.

I do hope soon they release times for emergency services and workers otherwise things will get very interesting

And whoever said about the army is incorrect. They have more than enough people to respond to driving tankers but they are deployed in different places making that kind of logistics difficult.
Petrol queues. on 20:40 - Sep 27 with 1928 viewsNed_Kennedys

Petrol queues. on 19:31 - Sep 27 by daveB

how do you work that out?
BP leaked a memo saying they were short of drivers but it was only a temporary issue. This was rightly reported in the media then people lost their minds. All media reports have said all along there was no need to panic buy

The public has a recent track record for losing their sht and panic buying at the slightest suggestion of a possible supply issue so perhaps the media have a duty of care to help prevent these scenarios? What did they think would happen?
Petrol queues. on 20:47 - Sep 27 with 1926 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 20:40 - Sep 27 by Ned_Kennedys

The public has a recent track record for losing their sht and panic buying at the slightest suggestion of a possible supply issue so perhaps the media have a duty of care to help prevent these scenarios? What did they think would happen?

so the media should no longer report news in case people respond in a stupid way?
Petrol queues. on 20:51 - Sep 27 with 1920 viewsstowmarketrange

Petrol queues. on 20:40 - Sep 27 by Ned_Kennedys

But how would they fill their news programmes and papers if they didn’t publish every little detail of people panic buying that they caused if the first place?
We’d be back to wall to wall covid news instead.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 20:52]
Petrol queues. on 20:57 - Sep 27 with 1897 viewsSuperhoop83

Petrol queues. on 19:48 - Sep 27 by BostonR

I’ve just spent 4 weeks travelling in Europe. No petrol shortages, no food shortages and generally normal service throughout. Our mess was created by Brexit and we need to own it. The arrogance prevailing in this country is vomit-inducing. The current government has spend the last 5 yrs re-creating this country in a shit-pile which is now universally hated, especially in Europe. I left the US 18 months ago to come home - what a fecking mistake. As soon as I can I will be moving full-time to Spain.

Fantastic post.

England is fast becoming an embarrassment thanks to Johnson and his cronies and the Brexit "dividends" are only just starting to roll in.

Suffering since 1978.

Petrol queues. on 21:04 - Sep 27 with 1867 viewscolinallcars

Petrol queues. on 20:57 - Sep 27 by Superhoop83

Fantastic post.

England is fast becoming an embarrassment thanks to Johnson and his cronies and the Brexit "dividends" are only just starting to roll in.

I'm inclined to agree with you.
The government seem to be trusting to luck and saying now that people have full tanks things will return to normal. I sincerely hope so but it's not much of a policy is it ? Fingers crossed and all that old chap, is no way to run the country.
Petrol queues. on 21:07 - Sep 27 with 1861 viewsGaryT

nm
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 21:09]
Login to get fewer ads

Petrol queues. on 21:08 - Sep 27 with 1860 viewsstowmarketrange

Petrol queues. on 20:57 - Sep 27 by Superhoop83

Fantastic post.

Here we go again.Another 40 pages to come.
Petrol queues. on 21:10 - Sep 27 with 1851 viewsGaryT

Petrol queues. on 16:44 - Sep 27 by robith

I mean, it is literally the contract you sign, not sure it being inconvenient trumps that?

What happens when a mum with a load of kids and suitcases are stuck at the airport cos someone didn't fill it up?

That would be a fair comment if she was being a Karen and didn't want to inconvenience herself. the fact that she wasn't able to fill up because the petrol stations were closed should have some sway but hey! Fine the bitch!

Jesus H Christ, some people.
Petrol queues. on 21:17 - Sep 27 with 1825 viewsSuperhoop83

Petrol queues. on 21:08 - Sep 27 by stowmarketrange

Here we go again.Another 40 pages to come.

Suffering since 1978.

Petrol queues. on 21:34 - Sep 27 with 1771 viewscolinallcars

Just noticed the word Queue has four consecutive vowels.
Not as good as facetious which features all five vowels in the correct order.
Not a lot o' people know that.
Petrol queues. on 21:43 - Sep 27 with 1757 viewsJuzzie

Petrol queues. on 20:47 - Sep 27 by daveB

so the media should no longer report news in case people respond in a stupid way?

There’s a difference between reporting and sensationalising.
Petrol queues. on 21:50 - Sep 27 with 1737 viewsLythamR

Petrol queues. on 21:10 - Sep 27 by GaryT

That would be a fair comment if she was being a Karen and didn't want to inconvenience herself. the fact that she wasn't able to fill up because the petrol stations were closed should have some sway but hey! Fine the bitch!

Jesus H Christ, some people.

I very much doubt that she was fined though. the car will have probably been supplied with a full tank so what she is paying for is the tank full of fuel she has used plus an admin fee because someone has to fill up the tank and do some extra paperwork plus perhaps a bit on top.

unless its a very small fuel tank it doesn't seem outrageous
Petrol queues. on 21:59 - Sep 27 with 1699 viewsRanger_Things

Petrol queues. on 21:04 - Sep 27 by colinallcars

I'm inclined to agree with you.
The government seem to be trusting to luck and saying now that people have full tanks things will return to normal. I sincerely hope so but it's not much of a policy is it ? Fingers crossed and all that old chap, is no way to run the country.

Standard Government practice:

Government ignores problem.
Government denies there is a problem.
Government blames [delete as necessary] EU/Chinese/Migrants/BBC/Public/BLM/Wokeness/Labour
Government performs massive costly U-turn under the cover of the next crisis/scandal hitting the front pages.
Petrol queues. on 22:01 - Sep 27 with 1692 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 21:43 - Sep 27 by Juzzie

There’s a difference between reporting and sensationalising.

The initial story and reporting of it didn't seem over the top to me, wasn't hugely different to other stories in last few weeks about possible food shortages etc. You of course had the tabloids going overboard but thats the case all the time and no one usually takes any notice. The reaction has been incredible and for me a lot of it is nothing to do with what the media say or do it's people seeing queues at petrol stations and thinking something must be wrong so joining in for the sake of it.

I just think we are on dangerous ground if we are now in a place where the news has to be censored in case people react to it by doing something stupid.
Petrol queues. on 22:21 - Sep 27 with 1618 viewsLythamR

Petrol queues. on 22:01 - Sep 27 by daveB

The initial story and reporting of it didn't seem over the top to me, wasn't hugely different to other stories in last few weeks about possible food shortages etc. You of course had the tabloids going overboard but thats the case all the time and no one usually takes any notice. The reaction has been incredible and for me a lot of it is nothing to do with what the media say or do it's people seeing queues at petrol stations and thinking something must be wrong so joining in for the sake of it.

I just think we are on dangerous ground if we are now in a place where the news has to be censored in case people react to it by doing something stupid.

Shapp and Boris saying there was plenty of fuel and nothing to worry about.

Thats when the real panic took off
Petrol queues. on 23:09 - Sep 27 with 1528 viewsGloryHunter

Petrol queues. on 22:21 - Sep 27 by LythamR

Exactly. Boris especially, and the Tories in general, have such a record of lying, that when they say there's no need to panic, the message people hear is to immediately panic.
Petrol queues. on 23:22 - Sep 27 with 1508 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Petrol queues. on 00:04 - Sep 28 with 1463 viewsBucksRanger

Petrol queues. on 21:34 - Sep 27 by colinallcars

Just noticed the word Queue has four consecutive vowels.
Not as good as facetious which features all five vowels in the correct order.
Not a lot o' people know that.

Queueing has 5 consecutive vowels. Beat that.

Sequoia has all 5 vowels in a seven letter word. Don't think you can do better than that either.
Petrol queues. on 00:33 - Sep 28 with 1432 viewsLythamR

Petrol queues. on 00:04 - Sep 28 by BucksRanger

Queueing has 5 consecutive vowels. Beat that.

Sequoia has all 5 vowels in a seven letter word. Don't think you can do better than that either.

acedious. 8 characters but all 5 vowels in order

to be fair I did look it up because i am a bit acedious!
Petrol queues. on 00:35 - Sep 28 with 1421 viewsessextaxiboy

If this crisis was created by Brexit why has it hit now 5 years after the vote and 9 months after we left .Did all the drivers leave last week ?
We left the EU not Europe ,you still live in Europe .
If you want to take up Spanish nationality they insist you renounce your UK one. IMO leaving the oldest democracy in the world for one 40 years old sitting on the powder keg of 37% youth unemployment would be a bad move . You could just vote for a party that would take us back in or hold another referendum .
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 0:37]
Petrol queues. on 02:25 - Sep 28 with 1348 viewsBoston

Well, you don't need to own it, you weren't there when the vote was cast.

I presume that property in Spain will include a drawbridge?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 2:33]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Petrol queues. on 07:05 - Sep 28 with 1231 viewsGroveR

Petrol queues. on 22:21 - Sep 27 by LythamR

Watching Grant Shapps trying to defend Cummings on the Sunday morning talk shows before bleating "I'm just trying to fix motorways" was like watching a sheep being raped by a lion. I remember thinking "thank fùck we're not in a transport crisis"
Petrol queues. on 07:56 - Sep 28 with 1144 viewsstevec

Interesting conundrum here.

The usual suspects seem to be slating the government, crying out for instant satisfaction namely in the reintroduction of cheap EU labour that suppresses the wages of those they pretend to support whilst those of us who are meant to be ‘uncaring’ seem prepared to accept a little short term pain if it means previously exploited British workers get the upper hand from the shortages and receive increased wages that reflect their true worth.

No wonder people have stopped voting Labour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024