Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol queues. 13:36 - Sep 25 with 29449 viewsSnipper

Bloody big queue at the petrol station today.

When will these tossers learn that it’s the media scaremongering?

Anyway, nearly 2 hours in a queue, and I didn’t even want any bloody petrol. I only wanted this months version of Razzle and a packet of tissues.

That’s me sorted for the weekend. 😜😜
Petrol queues. on 11:56 - Sep 28 with 1810 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 11:14 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

"All media, all along"?

"Britain Running on Empty" - Daily Mail

"Fuel shortage expected to last 10 days, driver shortage a lot longer" - Daily Mirror

No real need to mention panic buying when you print that is there?

You can't print, write and report things like that and say "Well, no one said you should panic buy" !

That's headlines though and mostly this week i'd guess which reflects where we are.
The headlines are to grab your attention, the stories i've seen reported on bbc, itv and sky since Thursday have said all along there is no need to panic buy.

I just think the media are just blamed for everything these days, people need to take some responsibility for their actions and that includes those in charge of the country making the decisions that affect us all
Petrol queues. on 12:22 - Sep 28 with 1735 viewsted_hendrix

Ganja is in very short supply in Wantage, Reefer Ron is expecting a stash to be delivered this Friday, plenty of Linda McCartney Quarter Pounder Burger's and Seasoned vegetarian sausages though.

Get in the queue.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Petrol queues. on 12:28 - Sep 28 with 1705 viewsMick_S

Petrol queues. on 12:22 - Sep 28 by ted_hendrix

Ganja is in very short supply in Wantage, Reefer Ron is expecting a stash to be delivered this Friday, plenty of Linda McCartney Quarter Pounder Burger's and Seasoned vegetarian sausages though.

Get in the queue.

I just got my turkey, Ted. Can’t be too sure, can we?

Taps nose with forefinger.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Petrol queues. on 12:55 - Sep 28 with 1631 viewsessextaxiboy

Petrol queues. on 10:20 - Sep 28 by daveB

We only left the EU last year so it has had an affect but is not the only reason. It's a perfect storm of poor infrastructure, brexit, a pandemic and idiots panicking to make the problem worse.

Saw and interview with guy from logistics Uk yesterday saying how this had been coming for 15 years due to age of drivers and how reliant we were on drivers from Europe. Several governments had been warned but ignored and now shit has hit the fan

Its just " the idiots panicking" IMO

I cant think of any business that could cope with a 500% increase in demand overnight
Petrol queues. on 12:58 - Sep 28 with 1622 viewsNorthernr

First time this week the Esso near us is a) open and b) not besieged. Seen some mad stuff there this week, queues back to Finchley and Barnet in either direction, people getting out and fighting. Funny we don’t hear that line about the “common sense of the British people” any more do we? Mad buggers.
Petrol queues. on 13:11 - Sep 28 with 1587 viewsPinnerPaul

Petrol queues. on 11:56 - Sep 28 by daveB

That's headlines though and mostly this week i'd guess which reflects where we are.
The headlines are to grab your attention, the stories i've seen reported on bbc, itv and sky since Thursday have said all along there is no need to panic buy.

I just think the media are just blamed for everything these days, people need to take some responsibility for their actions and that includes those in charge of the country making the decisions that affect us all

Of course I agree with the responsibility of individuals part, but equally that has to apply to the media as well.

Anyway I see Shaps has said the situation is "stabilising", meanwhile I still see headlines containing the words "Fuel Crisis!" on my home pages!
Petrol queues. on 13:14 - Sep 28 with 1564 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 00:35 - Sep 28 by essextaxiboy

If this crisis was created by Brexit why has it hit now 5 years after the vote and 9 months after we left .Did all the drivers leave last week ?
We left the EU not Europe ,you still live in Europe .
If you want to take up Spanish nationality they insist you renounce your UK one. IMO leaving the oldest democracy in the world for one 40 years old sitting on the powder keg of 37% youth unemployment would be a bad move . You could just vote for a party that would take us back in or hold another referendum .
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 0:37]

Well pretty much everything the Remain side predicted has happened - end of. I hold an EU passport so for me the choice is a little easier.
I am in my 60's and any change will be a generational one which I don't have time for given the sweeping changes this right wing cabal are proposing on peaceful demonstration.
What I do know given my 4 weeks in Europe we are generally despised and for good reasons.
Petrol queues. on 13:19 - Sep 28 with 1543 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 02:25 - Sep 28 by Boston

Well, you don't need to own it, you weren't there when the vote was cast.

I presume that property in Spain will include a drawbridge?
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 2:33]

Actually, I did cast my vote and I voted remain, so I do have skin in the game. Moving bask to the US is no longer option, but I have an EU passport, so I have a wide choice and enjoy FOM unlike a lot of my English friends.

Now, a drawbridge - never though about that!
Login to get fewer ads

Petrol queues. on 13:24 - Sep 28 with 1523 viewsSuperhoop83

Petrol queues. on 12:58 - Sep 28 by Northernr

First time this week the Esso near us is a) open and b) not besieged. Seen some mad stuff there this week, queues back to Finchley and Barnet in either direction, people getting out and fighting. Funny we don’t hear that line about the “common sense of the British people” any more do we? Mad buggers.

What's the postcode? My petrol tank is only 80% full.

Suffering since 1978.

Petrol queues. on 13:33 - Sep 28 with 1486 viewsessextaxiboy

Petrol queues. on 13:14 - Sep 28 by BostonR

Well pretty much everything the Remain side predicted has happened - end of. I hold an EU passport so for me the choice is a little easier.
I am in my 60's and any change will be a generational one which I don't have time for given the sweeping changes this right wing cabal are proposing on peaceful demonstration.
What I do know given my 4 weeks in Europe we are generally despised and for good reasons.

How can you just say ...end of . Its been 9 (not very normal months)

Come back in 5 years with some proper data and I will have no problem agreeing with you .

Again.... The UK is in Europe
Petrol queues. on 14:16 - Sep 28 with 1361 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 13:11 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

Of course I agree with the responsibility of individuals part, but equally that has to apply to the media as well.

Anyway I see Shaps has said the situation is "stabilising", meanwhile I still see headlines containing the words "Fuel Crisis!" on my home pages!

Well their is a crisis now, i imagine though if you read the articles they are fairly balanced. Are we really at a stage now where people see a headline ignore any context to the story and run around like maniacs panic buying using the excuse well the bbc told me to do it., it's their faulty really
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 14:18]
Petrol queues. on 14:23 - Sep 28 with 1354 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Petrol queues. on 09:57 - Sep 28 by LongsufferingR

....so does abstemious

Appropriate word to use too.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Petrol queues. on 14:28 - Sep 28 with 1320 viewsRussian__Bot

Petrol queues. on 19:48 - Sep 27 by BostonR

I’ve just spent 4 weeks travelling in Europe. No petrol shortages, no food shortages and generally normal service throughout. Our mess was created by Brexit and we need to own it. The arrogance prevailing in this country is vomit-inducing. The current government has spend the last 5 yrs re-creating this country in a shit-pile which is now universally hated, especially in Europe. I left the US 18 months ago to come home - what a fecking mistake. As soon as I can I will be moving full-time to Spain.

What makes you so sure this is specifically a Brexit problem? What stats and facts are you basing that on out of interest?

Would you agree that a more significant factor is that Lockdowns meant that tests for new HGV drivers were not carried out and so as people retired and left the industry the new funnel wasn’t replace by many who instead sat on the arse on furlough?

"There were 303,878 lorry drivers in UK in 2019, of which EU drivers 42,460 (14%). EU drivers dropped to 24,350 2021 - down 18,110. Overall UK lorry drivers down 70,931 to 232,947"

So when you look at the facts it's actually just an incompetent government that caused this.

We have more than a million people on furlough. Many of these jobs won't fully come back. A competent government could have managed this. Brexit I can't see as being relevant and i cannot see what you're basing that on other than seeking confirmation bias . Do you honestly not see this problem as avoidable and solvable without Free movement of People? If so why?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DCBMEP/status/1442513808019369984
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 14:29]
Petrol queues. on 14:28 - Sep 28 with 1334 viewsqprmike

Petrol queues. on 13:24 - Sep 28 by Superhoop83

What's the postcode? My petrol tank is only 80% full.

Mines down to 99.9% - I had to turn the engine on to see if it was still full... so yeah, where is this garage?!
Petrol queues. on 14:34 - Sep 28 with 1309 viewsPinnerPaul

Sorry Dave, can't resist - this from the Daily Express on line today

"Petrol chaos MAPPED: EIGHT UK motorway petrol stations with NO fuel"

To pretend headlines/stories like this should/will be ignored by all is a little naive I think.
Petrol queues. on 14:39 - Sep 28 with 1298 viewsEastR

Petrol queues. on 14:28 - Sep 28 by qprmike

Mines down to 99.9% - I had to turn the engine on to see if it was still full... so yeah, where is this garage?!

Yes mine too, but by the time I drive there (because I have nothing better to do) it’ll need topping up to get me to the next queue

Next week I plan to panic about where our next 3 points are coming from, unless there are tentative signs of stabilisation tonight

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Petrol queues. on 14:40 - Sep 28 with 1295 viewsR_from_afar

Petrol queues. on 10:54 - Sep 28 by TheChef

The biggest problem is humans.

I for one will welcome our ant overlords.

An alien contact scenario which NASA has genuinely considered is that aliens will travel to the earth...to save us from ourselves. I wish they'd hurry up, although I bet one of them will be wearing a tattered Chelsea shirt. Is there a country on earth where you don't see Chelsea shirts now? One of the ways Mrs R from Afar and I used to rate our overseas holidays was the occurrence of Chelski tops.

In other news:
- My Austrian friend's full name has just five letters (Jan Ot)
- Dig the consonants in "twelfths"

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Petrol queues. on 14:41 - Sep 28 with 1285 viewsdaveB

Petrol queues. on 14:34 - Sep 28 by PinnerPaul

Sorry Dave, can't resist - this from the Daily Express on line today

"Petrol chaos MAPPED: EIGHT UK motorway petrol stations with NO fuel"

To pretend headlines/stories like this should/will be ignored by all is a little naive I think.

if that story had been published last Thursday I'd agree with you but they can't pretend this isn't happening
Petrol queues. on 14:42 - Sep 28 with 1279 viewsLythamR

its certainly stabalised round my way the petrol stations were closed yesterday and closed today. we might as well be in North Korea for all the "truth and transparency" we get from the Government

The motorists are fundamentally responsible for this current issue i accept that but there does not seem to be any ability to forward plan, react swiftly or display any sort of joined up thinking within the government at all

Not Tory bashing because i have serious doubts that the current labour lot would be much better, is it a generational thing, are the current politicians simply not fit for purpose in this country?
Petrol queues. on 14:45 - Sep 28 with 1263 viewsSonofpugwash

Where I live it's so serious that we've got a shortage of shortages.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Petrol queues. on 14:45 - Sep 28 with 1265 viewsTheChef

Petrol queues. on 14:41 - Sep 28 by daveB

if that story had been published last Thursday I'd agree with you but they can't pretend this isn't happening

It's sensationalist though, and of course they feel the need to use Caps to make the situation sound even more desperate - I mean there are loads of motorway service stations up and down the country, that's only eight.

The tabloid press in this country is a disgrace, and the rest of the media is not much better.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Petrol queues. on 14:54 - Sep 28 with 1227 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 14:28 - Sep 28 by Russian__Bot

What makes you so sure this is specifically a Brexit problem? What stats and facts are you basing that on out of interest?

Would you agree that a more significant factor is that Lockdowns meant that tests for new HGV drivers were not carried out and so as people retired and left the industry the new funnel wasn’t replace by many who instead sat on the arse on furlough?

"There were 303,878 lorry drivers in UK in 2019, of which EU drivers 42,460 (14%). EU drivers dropped to 24,350 2021 - down 18,110. Overall UK lorry drivers down 70,931 to 232,947"

So when you look at the facts it's actually just an incompetent government that caused this.

We have more than a million people on furlough. Many of these jobs won't fully come back. A competent government could have managed this. Brexit I can't see as being relevant and i cannot see what you're basing that on other than seeking confirmation bias . Do you honestly not see this problem as avoidable and solvable without Free movement of People? If so why?

Simple question - why did I not see any empty shelves in Greece, Cyprus and Germany? And no petrol shortages?
Petrol queues. on 14:54 - Sep 28 with 1224 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Petrol queues. on 14:28 - Sep 28 by Russian__Bot

The trouble with Brexit, is that it came at a time when politically, we had the worst collection of politicians in a living memory, and on all sides of the house.

Both main parties were fearful of offending those who had or might desert them for Farage's lot (which really is ironic). The rush to get Brexit done ignored the clear and obvious need to ensure it was done correctly. Something that the oaf in charge was as clueless to as he was incapable of properly planning it all out. If the oaf's testicles were not busy procreating his sixth or seventh child, he should have been saying to exit properly, we should not rush it and ensure it is something carefully executed.

COVID has exacerbated many issues, not least of which is the incompetence of this government. The really worrying thing is that it is not abundantly clear who, among the 650 sitting residents of the Palace of Westminster, has the necessary ingredients to lead with integrity, intelligence and ingenuity.

Alas, incompetence and ignorance are more evident which is why the Labour Party - as the main opposition party - really needs to up its game and present a coherent alternative that might scare the bejaysus out of the government to actually, govern properly.

This is a critical point in the UK's history, however, several months into Brexit it is not the time to panic. We have not got off to a good start and I'm more concerned that this poor start will continue as long as the oaf is in office.

Watching the UK at the moment is not too dissimilar to QPR in the immediate aftermath of TFentry in 2011. Given how long it has taken us to overcome his brand of governance, the UK really is crying out for a Hoos of its own!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Petrol queues. on 14:58 - Sep 28 with 1199 viewsPinnerPaul

Petrol queues. on 14:45 - Sep 28 by TheChef

It's sensationalist though, and of course they feel the need to use Caps to make the situation sound even more desperate - I mean there are loads of motorway service stations up and down the country, that's only eight.

The tabloid press in this country is a disgrace, and the rest of the media is not much better.

94 on Motorways and A roads and nearly 8,500 in total.

Numbers strangely not mentioned here!
Petrol queues. on 14:59 - Sep 28 with 1195 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Petrol queues. on 13:14 - Sep 28 by BostonR

You definitely sound like you despise us yourself.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024