Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol queues. 13:36 - Sep 25 with 29452 viewsSnipper

Bloody big queue at the petrol station today.

When will these tossers learn that it’s the media scaremongering?

Anyway, nearly 2 hours in a queue, and I didn’t even want any bloody petrol. I only wanted this months version of Razzle and a packet of tissues.

That’s me sorted for the weekend. 😜😜
Petrol queues. on 15:01 - Sep 28 with 2047 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Petrol queues. on 14:16 - Sep 28 by daveB

Well their is a crisis now, i imagine though if you read the articles they are fairly balanced. Are we really at a stage now where people see a headline ignore any context to the story and run around like maniacs panic buying using the excuse well the bbc told me to do it., it's their faulty really
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 14:18]

Sadly we are. Think of everything nowadays and it is nearly all based on snapshots unfortunately.
Petrol queues. on 15:05 - Sep 28 with 1991 viewsRussian__Bot

Petrol queues. on 14:54 - Sep 28 by BostonR

Simple question - why did I not see any empty shelves in Greece, Cyprus and Germany? And no petrol shortages?

This problem can easily come there should there press or trade bodies have the motivation to stir up a crisis

From the Times.... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-to-blame-for-fuel-crisis-german-electi

"There are driver shortages in Europe too. Dirk Engelhardt, managing director of the German Federal Association of Road Haulage, Logistics and Disposal, said that the country was short of about 80,000 lorry drivers. While 30,000 German drivers retire every year, only 15,000 are recruited"

Greece has a 47% unemployment rate in young people and 17% across the country. They haven't got as many millions of people sitting around getting paid good money to not work on Furlough like we do. So vacancies for HGV's are unsurprisingly less difficult to fill

Think beyond your biases and the answers are often clear and obvious. It's undeniable that with a competent government this problem was avoidable and is also now solvable. And lockdown is a big factor in preventing and slowing the new driver tests to replace the retiring drivers
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 15:08]
Petrol queues. on 15:09 - Sep 28 with 2023 viewsPinnerPaul

My last on this subject, then I'm ignoring this thread, nothing personal - all views welcome and all that - but don't really like 'politcal' threads impinging on my worrying about the Rs!

Anyway my son tells me that fuel tanker drivers need an extra 'qualification' over 'normal' HGV drivers.

Makes sense when you think about it as they actually discharge the fuel into the tanks at the garages.

So its not as easy as just paying more or 'importing' from Europe.
Petrol queues. on 15:10 - Sep 28 with 2017 viewsBoston

Petrol queues. on 13:19 - Sep 28 by BostonR

Actually, I did cast my vote and I voted remain, so I do have skin in the game. Moving bask to the US is no longer option, but I have an EU passport, so I have a wide choice and enjoy FOM unlike a lot of my English friends.

Now, a drawbridge - never though about that!

You have me confused, if you’re out of the UK for 15 years you lose the right to vote, also applies to an Irish passport holder.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Petrol queues. on 15:20 - Sep 28 with 1978 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 15:05 - Sep 28 by Russian__Bot

This problem can easily come there should there press or trade bodies have the motivation to stir up a crisis

From the Times.... https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-to-blame-for-fuel-crisis-german-electi

"There are driver shortages in Europe too. Dirk Engelhardt, managing director of the German Federal Association of Road Haulage, Logistics and Disposal, said that the country was short of about 80,000 lorry drivers. While 30,000 German drivers retire every year, only 15,000 are recruited"

Greece has a 47% unemployment rate in young people and 17% across the country. They haven't got as many millions of people sitting around getting paid good money to not work on Furlough like we do. So vacancies for HGV's are unsurprisingly less difficult to fill

Think beyond your biases and the answers are often clear and obvious. It's undeniable that with a competent government this problem was avoidable and is also now solvable. And lockdown is a big factor in preventing and slowing the new driver tests to replace the retiring drivers
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 15:08]

You assume I have a biased opinion - I do not.

You can read all the editorials you like but essentially from my experience over the past four weeks, I agree with the Dutch lorry driver on R4 yesterday, when he said "we in the UK created this shit". He's right.

The Brexit house is on fire and in this country we are watching it burn! The utter arrogance of this country is sickening.
Petrol queues. on 15:34 - Sep 28 with 1924 viewsMaggsinho

Petrol queues. on 15:10 - Sep 28 by Boston

You have me confused, if you’re out of the UK for 15 years you lose the right to vote, also applies to an Irish passport holder.

The right to vote in the referendum was given to nationals who had been out of the country for 15 years, as long as they were on the electoral roll before that.
Petrol queues. on 15:38 - Sep 28 with 1852 viewsRussian__Bot

Petrol queues. on 15:20 - Sep 28 by BostonR

You assume I have a biased opinion - I do not.

You can read all the editorials you like but essentially from my experience over the past four weeks, I agree with the Dutch lorry driver on R4 yesterday, when he said "we in the UK created this shit". He's right.

The Brexit house is on fire and in this country we are watching it burn! The utter arrogance of this country is sickening.

EU lorry drivers have gone from 14% to 10.5% in this country and you see that as "the Brexit House is on Fire"

You ignore the lockdown impact on testing. And the poor working conditions and unappealing pay meaning this is a problem across Europe as well as the German issue i quoted shows

Your opinion seems over the top to put it mildly

Hopefully the outcome of this is better pay and working conditions for the working class people who do these jobs… sure you would call this a benefit of Brexit if it happens

Also only 1% of HGV drivers are women… seeing as there is a big push for equality of outcomes we need to pump those numbers up to keep feminists happy
Petrol queues. on 15:58 - Sep 28 with 1828 viewsBklynRanger

Petrol queues. on 15:34 - Sep 28 by Maggsinho

The right to vote in the referendum was given to nationals who had been out of the country for 15 years, as long as they were on the electoral roll before that.

That wasn't exactly well publicised - I don't think anyway - I had no idea I'd have been allowed to vote on that basis. Bugger.
Login to get fewer ads

Petrol queues. on 15:59 - Sep 28 with 1827 viewsBostonR

Petrol queues. on 15:10 - Sep 28 by Boston

Simple - I have never been out of the UK for longer than 5yrs. I have lived and worked in the US, Europe and a short period in Singapore.

Over the past 30 yrs my work often meant that I returned to the UK for weeks/months. Personal tax and pension issues are a more difficult problem than voter registration. - my experience.
Petrol queues. on 16:03 - Sep 28 with 1808 viewsGloryHunter

Petrol queues. on 13:33 - Sep 28 by essextaxiboy

How can you just say ...end of . Its been 9 (not very normal months)

Come back in 5 years with some proper data and I will have no problem agreeing with you .

Again.... The UK is in Europe

Significant EU/UK border controls and customs changes will come in this Friday, 1st October. End of (delayed) transition period. The real fun is only just about to start!
Petrol queues. on 16:07 - Sep 28 with 1799 viewsDWQPR

Petrol queues. on 14:40 - Sep 28 by R_from_afar

An alien contact scenario which NASA has genuinely considered is that aliens will travel to the earth...to save us from ourselves. I wish they'd hurry up, although I bet one of them will be wearing a tattered Chelsea shirt. Is there a country on earth where you don't see Chelsea shirts now? One of the ways Mrs R from Afar and I used to rate our overseas holidays was the occurrence of Chelski tops.

In other news:
- My Austrian friend's full name has just five letters (Jan Ot)
- Dig the consonants in "twelfths"

I once had a client called Clive Oliver Jones which on his bank card read C O Jones, which putting the letters together, cojones, translates as bôllocks in Spanish. Strangely enough his largely balding head with a bit of whispy hair did resemble an almighty gonad.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Petrol queues. on 16:19 - Sep 28 with 1756 viewsessextaxiboy

Petrol queues. on 16:03 - Sep 28 by GloryHunter

Significant EU/UK border controls and customs changes will come in this Friday, 1st October. End of (delayed) transition period. The real fun is only just about to start!

That will be only 10 months in .....

We were members of the EU for 40 years , I am just asking for 5 ?
Petrol queues. on 16:31 - Sep 28 with 1698 viewsnix

Petrol queues. on 14:54 - Sep 28 by PlanetHonneywood

The trouble with Brexit, is that it came at a time when politically, we had the worst collection of politicians in a living memory, and on all sides of the house.

Both main parties were fearful of offending those who had or might desert them for Farage's lot (which really is ironic). The rush to get Brexit done ignored the clear and obvious need to ensure it was done correctly. Something that the oaf in charge was as clueless to as he was incapable of properly planning it all out. If the oaf's testicles were not busy procreating his sixth or seventh child, he should have been saying to exit properly, we should not rush it and ensure it is something carefully executed.

COVID has exacerbated many issues, not least of which is the incompetence of this government. The really worrying thing is that it is not abundantly clear who, among the 650 sitting residents of the Palace of Westminster, has the necessary ingredients to lead with integrity, intelligence and ingenuity.

Alas, incompetence and ignorance are more evident which is why the Labour Party - as the main opposition party - really needs to up its game and present a coherent alternative that might scare the bejaysus out of the government to actually, govern properly.

This is a critical point in the UK's history, however, several months into Brexit it is not the time to panic. We have not got off to a good start and I'm more concerned that this poor start will continue as long as the oaf is in office.

Watching the UK at the moment is not too dissimilar to QPR in the immediate aftermath of TFentry in 2011. Given how long it has taken us to overcome his brand of governance, the UK really is crying out for a Hoos of its own!

Do you really think they're not governing well because they have no competition or is it just because they're incompetent? I don't think I can ever remember a government that I had less faith in. They are the epitome of self serving and self promoting tosspots.

Whataboutery is not good enough.

We just deserve better. Well I do. I'm not sure about some of our electorate, I've lost faith in them too.

Brexit is a disaster if only because it puts even more power into the hands of those clueless idiots. And is forcing us to get into bed with the US, who spend more time trying to force women into having unwanted children than actually helping them to support the children they already have.

I'm panicking. Don't tell me not to. I neither wanted nor voted for this shit storm and am absolutely sick to the back teeth of being told to put up with something I knew would be shit.
Petrol queues. on 16:45 - Sep 28 with 1650 viewsessextaxiboy

Petrol queues. on 16:31 - Sep 28 by nix

Do you really think they're not governing well because they have no competition or is it just because they're incompetent? I don't think I can ever remember a government that I had less faith in. They are the epitome of self serving and self promoting tosspots.

We just deserve better. Well I do. I'm not sure about some of our electorate, I've lost faith in them too.

Brexit is a disaster if only because it puts even more power into the hands of those clueless idiots. And is forcing us to get into bed with the US, who spend more time trying to force women into having unwanted children than actually helping them to support the children they already have.

I'm panicking. Don't tell me not to. I neither wanted nor voted for this shit storm and am absolutely sick to the back teeth of being told to put up with something I knew would be shit.

If its a disaster "only because it puts more power into the Government that we have" , and if that is plain to see, then surely the thing to do is not to put up with it but vote them out ?

I wont tell you not to panic , but I think its unwarranted. ATM anyway
Petrol queues. on 16:47 - Sep 28 with 1640 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Petrol queues. on 16:31 - Sep 28 by nix

I think if you read my post again, I was pretty clear with my views on the (in)competence of the current government.

However, there is an old adage in politics: if you want good government, you need good opposition. Which the UK just doesn’t have in my view and I would also suggest, good government is in short supply globally as well.

World is treading a narrow path at the moment.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Petrol queues. on 16:51 - Sep 28 with 1624 viewsGaryT

Petrol queues. on 16:03 - Sep 28 by GloryHunter

That can has been kicked down the road again, this time until January. When the 3 month temp HGV visas expire on Christmas Eve, they'll use that as the reason for kicking it down the road again.

https://trans.info/en/official-uk-government-delays-checks-on-eu-goods-yet-again
Petrol queues. on 16:56 - Sep 28 with 1592 viewsnix

Petrol queues. on 16:47 - Sep 28 by PlanetHonneywood

I think if you read my post again, I was pretty clear with my views on the (in)competence of the current government.

However, there is an old adage in politics: if you want good government, you need good opposition. Which the UK just doesn’t have in my view and I would also suggest, good government is in short supply globally as well.

I know but I can't be reasonable all the time...sometimes I just have to be really, really narked,
[Post edited 28 Sep 2021 16:57]
Petrol queues. on 17:06 - Sep 28 with 1574 viewsBerkoRanger

It is amazing how many people are forgetting that if Labour had won the last election, they said they would have cancelled Brexit immediately. Meaning that we would be standing in the queue outside Brussels saying "Please Sir, can we have some vaccines." Meaning, far, far less of the current UK population would have been jabbed with, potentially, many more deaths. Instead, Boris was able to buy 100 million vaccine doses on day 1 of the pandemic. FACT. And while we are on the subject of EU workers, if we give EU visas to 5k drivers and 5k poultry workers, (Labour say we should bring over thousands more), where are they all going to live. Most council leaders will tell you there is a shortage of affordable homes.
Still, let's give the Labour conference maximum publicity ! And how many small businesses will cope with a £15 minimum wage. Shall I go on?

Thank goodness there is a game tonight to follow. C'mon U RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs.
Petrol queues. on 17:13 - Sep 28 with 1551 viewsSuperhoop83

Petrol queues. on 17:06 - Sep 28 by BerkoRanger

It is amazing how many people are forgetting that if Labour had won the last election, they said they would have cancelled Brexit immediately. Meaning that we would be standing in the queue outside Brussels saying "Please Sir, can we have some vaccines." Meaning, far, far less of the current UK population would have been jabbed with, potentially, many more deaths. Instead, Boris was able to buy 100 million vaccine doses on day 1 of the pandemic. FACT. And while we are on the subject of EU workers, if we give EU visas to 5k drivers and 5k poultry workers, (Labour say we should bring over thousands more), where are they all going to live. Most council leaders will tell you there is a shortage of affordable homes.
Still, let's give the Labour conference maximum publicity ! And how many small businesses will cope with a £15 minimum wage. Shall I go on?

Thank goodness there is a game tonight to follow. C'mon U RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs.

Well, I agree with the last bit.

Come.on You R'sss!!!!

Suffering since 1978.

Petrol queues. on 17:17 - Sep 28 with 1534 viewsrobith

Petrol queues. on 17:06 - Sep 28 by BerkoRanger

Sir, this is a Wendy's
Petrol queues. on 17:19 - Sep 28 with 1530 viewslightwaterhoop

Petrol queues. on 16:47 - Sep 28 by PlanetHonneywood

If you want good government you also need good voters.I'm afraid modern people will only vote for politicians who keep the spending taps full on.We are now printing money to survive,this is the same in all the Western world as your last sentence implies.
Petrol queues. on 19:02 - Sep 28 with 1365 viewsderbyhoop

The problems with the shortage of HGV drivers and the reasons should be well known by now

There has been a shortage for a long time
The combination of Brexit and the pandemic meant many EU drivers went back to their home countries
The average age of HGV drivers is 55+
The working conditions are awful with few adequate facilities anywhere in the UK
Compare that to the aires you find next to French motorways. And probably other EU countries as well.

Covid has meant training new HGV drivers has been difficult
Testing of new drivers and re-testing of existing ones has been affected by Covid

Given the way the EU drivers were treated at the end of last year, do you think they will be rushing to take up the desperate offer of a 3 month visa ? I'd be surprised if they get more than 1,000 taking it up.

Although there are undoubtedly, shortages of HGV drivers across many EU countries I don't see any evidence of fuel shortages in France.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Petrol queues. on 19:13 - Sep 28 with 1349 viewspaulparker

I went to the local petrol station today and there was nothing coming out of the nozzle.

I walked over to the kiosk and said, have you got your pumps on?

He said, no, I'm wearing flip-flops.

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Petrol queues. on 19:17 - Sep 28 with 1346 viewsMick_S

Petrol queues. on 19:13 - Sep 28 by paulparker

I went to the local petrol station today and there was nothing coming out of the nozzle.

I walked over to the kiosk and said, have you got your pumps on?

He said, no, I'm wearing flip-flops.

I’ve told this one before:

Bored counter person in petrol station:

“Any fuel?”

My son:

“I’m eight.”

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Petrol queues. on 22:58 - Sep 28 with 1172 viewsacricketer

I got to the front of the queue at a petrol station today and got quite emotional.

I just started filling up!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024