Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea city centre 08:47 - May 20 with 26889 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Going to be a great day today
Swansea city centre on 17:23 - May 30 with 1009 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea city centre on 21:33 - May 29 by Kilkennyjack

Google says …..

‘The Welsh continued to call themselves Brythoniaid (Brythons or Britons) well into the Middle Ages, though the first use of Cymru and y Cymry is found as early as 633 in the Gododdin of Aneirin. In Armes Prydain, written in about 930, the words Cymry and Cymro are used as often as 15 times’.

But you are suggesting it did not exist.
Rightio.

You do understand...ho hang on, pointless.

Here, read this,

Wales, the name of the country in English, is from Old English Wealas, plural of Wealh, which was often used to denote the Britons collectively and hence their lands. There was no unified polity in medieval western Britain, and the concept of Wales as a geographical, ethnic or political unit was a very gradual development. Old English Wealas could refer to Britons in Cornwall, Wales and northern Britain, and also historically to the inhabitants of other parts of Britain before the Anglo-Saxon settlement. Consequently, the name Wealas was sometimes qualified in order to denote a more specific application. For example, Cornwealas and Westwealas designated the Britons of Cornwall, Norðwealas the Britons of (parts of) Wales, that is, of north of Cornwall, Stræcledwalas the Strathclyde Britons. In each case, the word also denoted their respective lands. The compound Brytwealas usually denoted the early Britons.

In the Middle Ages, the Welsh territories consisted of several former kingdoms, subsequently ruled by princes. In the 13th century, Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, prince of Gwynedd, established overlordship over all remaining independent parts of Wales and was acknowledged as Prince of Wales by Henry III in 1267 (Treaty of Montgomery). His principality in turn was conquered by Edward I in 1282. Edward conferred the title Prince of Wales on his son and heir to consolidate this conquest. Wales was formally incorporated into the English realm in 1536, and remains part of the United Kingdom, although granted partial self-government in 1999.

In Welsh, the name of Wales is Cymru, the self-designation of its inhabitants is Cymry (singular Cymro, masculine, and Cymraes, feminine), and the corresponding adjective is Cymreig. The name of the language (and the corresponding adjective) is Cymraeg. Cymro probably derives from an unattested Old Welsh combrog, co-lander, compatriot, from com-, with, and brog (modern Welsh bro), region. The latter word is cognate with Old Irish bruig, mruig, boundary, region, and with Old English mearc (modern English mark), boundary, sign, mark. By contrast with combrog, the Latin Allobroges, from Gaulish, meant those from another land. It was the name of a warlike Gaulish people who occupied the region between the Rhône and Lake Geneva.

Now then, that is also from google and as much as you want the word Cymru to mean a country in its own right, it doesn't. It refers to a group of people of the same ethnic origin much like we call people Africans when they could come from any one of 54 countries.

The word existed, the country didn't not until 1536. It couldn't be any clearer.
Swansea city centre on 17:44 - May 30 with 998 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea city centre on 17:23 - May 30 by SullutaCreturned

You do understand...ho hang on, pointless.

Here, read this,

Wales, the name of the country in English, is from Old English Wealas, plural of Wealh, which was often used to denote the Britons collectively and hence their lands. There was no unified polity in medieval western Britain, and the concept of Wales as a geographical, ethnic or political unit was a very gradual development. Old English Wealas could refer to Britons in Cornwall, Wales and northern Britain, and also historically to the inhabitants of other parts of Britain before the Anglo-Saxon settlement. Consequently, the name Wealas was sometimes qualified in order to denote a more specific application. For example, Cornwealas and Westwealas designated the Britons of Cornwall, Norðwealas the Britons of (parts of) Wales, that is, of north of Cornwall, Stræcledwalas the Strathclyde Britons. In each case, the word also denoted their respective lands. The compound Brytwealas usually denoted the early Britons.

In the Middle Ages, the Welsh territories consisted of several former kingdoms, subsequently ruled by princes. In the 13th century, Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, prince of Gwynedd, established overlordship over all remaining independent parts of Wales and was acknowledged as Prince of Wales by Henry III in 1267 (Treaty of Montgomery). His principality in turn was conquered by Edward I in 1282. Edward conferred the title Prince of Wales on his son and heir to consolidate this conquest. Wales was formally incorporated into the English realm in 1536, and remains part of the United Kingdom, although granted partial self-government in 1999.

In Welsh, the name of Wales is Cymru, the self-designation of its inhabitants is Cymry (singular Cymro, masculine, and Cymraes, feminine), and the corresponding adjective is Cymreig. The name of the language (and the corresponding adjective) is Cymraeg. Cymro probably derives from an unattested Old Welsh combrog, co-lander, compatriot, from com-, with, and brog (modern Welsh bro), region. The latter word is cognate with Old Irish bruig, mruig, boundary, region, and with Old English mearc (modern English mark), boundary, sign, mark. By contrast with combrog, the Latin Allobroges, from Gaulish, meant those from another land. It was the name of a warlike Gaulish people who occupied the region between the Rhône and Lake Geneva.

Now then, that is also from google and as much as you want the word Cymru to mean a country in its own right, it doesn't. It refers to a group of people of the same ethnic origin much like we call people Africans when they could come from any one of 54 countries.

The word existed, the country didn't not until 1536. It couldn't be any clearer.

You are still defining a nation state using an anglo view of the world.

People lived on these islands, they were the welsh speakers, and they lived their own way.
Yes even fighting each other.

Its no less valuable than what you are searching for, a neatly packaged nation state with a king.

To say they did not exist or do not deserve to be recognised is - frankly - a load of old bollards.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea city centre on 17:46 - May 30 with 996 viewsKilkennyjack

I am sure we all agree this needs to be sorted … john - whats your view ?

Swansea city centre on 18:01 - May 30 with 981 viewsraynor94

Swansea city centre on 17:46 - May 30 by Kilkennyjack

Don't slam the door on your way out

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea city centre on 18:17 - May 30 with 967 viewsonehunglow

Meanwhile, Swansea city centre …2023

We ve kinda drifted off piste ,folks

This train don’t carry no gamblers

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea city centre on 20:02 - May 30 with 937 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea city centre on 17:44 - May 30 by Kilkennyjack

You are still defining a nation state using an anglo view of the world.

People lived on these islands, they were the welsh speakers, and they lived their own way.
Yes even fighting each other.

Its no less valuable than what you are searching for, a neatly packaged nation state with a king.

To say they did not exist or do not deserve to be recognised is - frankly - a load of old bollards.

No, I am defining a nation state by its borders, by the fact it lives as one people and is a sovereign state with one set of rulers.

Maybe you'll believe a Welsh professor, Rhun Emlyn,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/the-lost-kingdoms-of-wales-1372158

PS, I never said they didn't exist nor did I say they weren't recognised, that's your nonsense argument. They existed and they are recognised as seperate Kingdoms/Lordships but not as one nations state.
[Post edited 30 May 2023 20:30]
Swansea city centre on 20:37 - May 30 with 917 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea city centre on 18:17 - May 30 by onehunglow

Meanwhile, Swansea city centre …2023

We ve kinda drifted off piste ,folks

This train don’t carry no gamblers

I believe we have two choices really but either needs another referendum, or they could both be on the ballot.

We need to have this indy vote with a straight yes or no but then the choice that if you vote no, would you vote to ditch devolution.

I've said this before but most of the indy's on here won't go for it. Probably because (and despite what they say) they are the ones who are really scared. All this effort and large claims and it's all gone backwards.
Swansea city centre on 21:33 - May 30 with 902 viewsbuilthjack

Scotland first.
The n Northern Ireland.
Wales will be a close call in about 15-20 years.
I am not sure why it bothers some of you folks on here.?
You don’t like being Welsh?
Parents are English?
You want to be English?
13 pages so far of what looks like more anti Welsh stuff.
I have many English neighbours who love being in Wales. It’s Gods country

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea city centre on 22:17 - May 30 with 894 viewsraynor94

Swansea city centre on 21:33 - May 30 by builthjack

Scotland first.
The n Northern Ireland.
Parents are English?
You want to be English?

I'm Welsh and British, and see no problem with it at all.

Sturgeon has put paid to any Scottish independence.

Labour will take more seats than the SNP at the next election, and put paid to it

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Swansea city centre on 22:20 - May 30 with 893 viewsTogg

Swansea city centre on 22:17 - May 30 by raynor94

Labour will take more seats than the SNP at the next election, and put paid to it

Totally agree. Welsh/British and more than happy with that and anti independence which the majority of the Welsh voters are.

[Post edited 30 May 2023 22:22]
Swansea city centre on 23:28 - May 30 with 878 viewsTreforys_Jack

Scotland first.
The n Northern Ireland.
Parents are English?
You want to be English?

My misgivings come directly from the poor performance of the Senedd, and lately Mr Drakeford. Plaid not exactly covering themselves in glory either which is a shame really, you'd think if indy Wales was really on the rise then Plaid would be at the forefront, but sadly not.
Swansea city centre on 00:40 - May 31 with 866 viewsRobbie

Swansea city centre on 23:28 - May 30 by Treforys_Jack

My misgivings come directly from the poor performance of the Senedd, and lately Mr Drakeford. Plaid not exactly covering themselves in glory either which is a shame really, you'd think if indy Wales was really on the rise then Plaid would be at the forefront, but sadly not.

Agree about Drakefords total bias to Cardiff , alas he could not control Ely , his watch too .

My vote back in the late Nineties was I do not want a W AG Assembly or devolution .
Another gravy train of politicians of all parties talking big promises and delivering sod all .

Regarding Swansea City Centre as a shopping experience based on recent visits , awful .
[Post edited 31 May 2023 0:45]
Swansea city centre on 09:39 - May 31 with 824 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea city centre on 22:17 - May 30 by raynor94

At the last Scottish election the SNP won 64 out of 129 seats with 47% of the vote. I imagine that the vast majority of those voters would also vote yes in another indy ref.

You are saying that because Sturgeon may have (or may not have) done something naughty that a very large number of those voters are going to vote Labour at the next election.

I see no logic at all in you saying that people who are probably desperate to make Scotland Independent would then decide to vote for a party that is avidly pro the Union. Just because NS MAY have done something wrong.

It's far more likely that some of those voters will defect to Alba or the Greens with the majority staying with the SNP.
Swansea city centre on 09:47 - May 31 with 809 viewsunion_jack

Swansea city centre on 09:39 - May 31 by johnlangy

At the last Scottish election the SNP won 64 out of 129 seats with 47% of the vote. I imagine that the vast majority of those voters would also vote yes in another indy ref.

You are saying that because Sturgeon may have (or may not have) done something naughty that a very large number of those voters are going to vote Labour at the next election.

I see no logic at all in you saying that people who are probably desperate to make Scotland Independent would then decide to vote for a party that is avidly pro the Union. Just because NS MAY have done something wrong.

It's far more likely that some of those voters will defect to Alba or the Greens with the majority staying with the SNP.

What I would say is there are likely to be a greater number of nationalist party voters NOT voting for independence than those voting for the other parties who would.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea city centre on 10:17 - May 31 with 799 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea city centre on 17:46 - May 30 by Kilkennyjack

Is that me you're asking Kilkenny ? I'll presume so.

The honest answer is that I can't see any logical reason why those powers shouldn't be devolved but the reality of doing it is not simple. The expansion of the Senedd to 96 members would have to be sorted to start with.

A quick check in wiki shows that there are 51 different committees within the UK government and MP's of different parties have to be on those committees as well as doing their Commons and constituency work. When you've got 650 MP's to choose from that's okay. Simple maths says they have 13 MP's available for each committee.

When you've got just 60 members in the Senedd it's not so simple when the areas they control has already increased and we're talking here about adding another eight substantial areas of responsibility.

A quick check on the Senedd website shows 18 committees albeit I don't know if they are like for like with Westminster or if they work in a similar way. But they'd also have to have a mix of Senedd members on them. And the maths shows there are just 3.5 members available per committee.

Adding those extra eight areas of control would make the Senedd unworkable with the current MS numbers.
Swansea city centre on 12:46 - May 31 with 764 viewsonehunglow

Scotland first.
The n Northern Ireland.
Parents are English?
You want to be English?

About?
No it will be the same ,probably more the case independence is seen as insanity

Wales ,as I’ve told you countless times,is hopelessly divided

North south east west

It is better we unite against the English and England.

Amazing so many admit to having English friends

Millions quite happily live in England and would never return to Wales to live .

Swansea city centre on 14:03 - May 31 with 751 viewsBryanSwan

Swansea city centre on 12:46 - May 31 by onehunglow

About?
No it will be the same ,probably more the case independence is seen as insanity

Wales ,as I’ve told you countless times,is hopelessly divided

North south east west

It is better we unite against the English and England.

Amazing so many admit to having English friends

Millions quite happily live in England and would never return to Wales to live .

Nobody hates England or the English, many just want the ability to determine what is best for Wales without the Westminster governement trying their best to do everyone over. (Their new "trade deal" with Aus/NZ is a perfect example of them continuing to decimate food production in the UK).

In my view the best outcome for the UK would be for there to be 4 independent nations - Wales, Scotland, Ireland, England and then for those to have to create a further government/council above with each having 1/4 representation.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Swansea city centre on 14:20 - May 31 with 735 viewsonehunglow

Swansea city centre on 14:03 - May 31 by BryanSwan

Nobody hates England or the English, many just want the ability to determine what is best for Wales without the Westminster governement trying their best to do everyone over. (Their new "trade deal" with Aus/NZ is a perfect example of them continuing to decimate food production in the UK).

In my view the best outcome for the UK would be for there to be 4 independent nations - Wales, Scotland, Ireland, England and then for those to have to create a further government/council above with each having 1/4 representation.

Yes,they do.
It is impossible to read forums and not firm that impression.
You think otherwise and that s fine

Swansea city centre on 14:27 - May 31 with 733 viewsBryanSwan

Swansea city centre on 14:20 - May 31 by onehunglow

Yes,they do.
It is impossible to read forums and not firm that impression.
You think otherwise and that s fine

To be fair I suppose there would be a very small minority that do hate, the same as people with the exact opposite view.
The majority though are normal people who just want want is best, no hate just a desire to improve their lives, people around them and the Country as a whole.

Swansea city centre on 15:32 - May 31 with 725 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea city centre on 14:03 - May 31 by BryanSwan

Hang on now, you want to give the minority of the population control over what happens?

It'll never happen but if it was being pushed through there would be ructions in England and rightly so. How is it democratic to give representatives of 10 million people control over 55 million people?

No it would have to be more likes NI has 1, Wales has 3, Scotland has 5 and England has 10 votes.
Swansea city centre on 17:40 - May 31 with 697 viewsBryanSwan

Swansea city centre on 15:32 - May 31 by SullutaCreturned

Hang on now, you want to give the minority of the population control over what happens?

It'll never happen but if it was being pushed through there would be ructions in England and rightly so. How is it democratic to give representatives of 10 million people control over 55 million people?

No it would have to be more likes NI has 1, Wales has 3, Scotland has 5 and England has 10 votes.

In my view the balance of power needs to be better divided as currently 3 countries out of the 4 have zero say in the running of the countries.
Having one country that cannot ever be overruled by the rest is an immense imbalance and one that leads to anglo centric campaign, policy and delivery.

Not to dwell too much on the percentages in an ideal world i would say that the we would have four independent countries that would in some shape or form have an overarching body that would be responsible for negotiation trade deals etc on the behalf of the four members. (The body would in my view have to be made up in a way that one would not be able to just decide for the other three).

Swansea city centre on 18:36 - May 31 with 679 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea city centre on 17:40 - May 31 by BryanSwan

In my view the balance of power needs to be better divided as currently 3 countries out of the 4 have zero say in the running of the countries.
Having one country that cannot ever be overruled by the rest is an immense imbalance and one that leads to anglo centric campaign, policy and delivery.

Not to dwell too much on the percentages in an ideal world i would say that the we would have four independent countries that would in some shape or form have an overarching body that would be responsible for negotiation trade deals etc on the behalf of the four members. (The body would in my view have to be made up in a way that one would not be able to just decide for the other three).

it's one country, the UK and we get to vote in whoever we choose.

In Wales we get to vote whoever we choose too.

We make bd choices is all but that's democracy for ya.

England would never allow your suggestion to happen.
Swansea city centre on 19:17 - May 31 with 659 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea city centre on 11:20 - May 30 by SgorioFruit

i wouldn't waste your time mate, its a history that none of the union jack lovers want to have anything to do with.

A lot don't have any idea of the history of their country, this is down to it not being taught in schools. The argument can go back and forth all day and all night.
Facts cannot be ignored, and that is when you stump a lot of people on here.

Spot on.

Swansea city centre on 19:23 - May 31 with 657 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea city centre on 17:10 - May 30 by SullutaCreturned

The English FA runs the FA and they could decide to do what quite a large number of English fans want and kick Welsh clubs into the Welsh leagues if we went indy.

It's not a guarantee but it could happen. COULD. get your head around it.

That could happen now, you divot.
Nothing to do with Indy.

Imagine they kicked us out and also Indy never existed.
What then ?

We play for historical reasons.
Its a fact that Cymru cannot support a pro league of the standard that Swans and them up the road need to operate at.

None of this detracts from the Indy case.
I cannot be clearer.

Swansea city centre on 19:28 - May 31 with 654 viewsKilkennyjack

Scotland first.
The n Northern Ireland.
Parents are English?
You want to be English?

Well said.

I think the north of Ireland will be first though.
The mevhanism is there and readyvto go.

I think the Scots will use the 10 years since 2014 for the Indy2 vote.

Still no charges against Comrade Nicola ? 🤷‍♂️

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024