Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 106166 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 11:20 - Sep 5 with 1891 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 10:40 - Sep 5 by thame_hoops

Anyone else find Smith completely irritating to watch in terms of his movement and ‘ticks’

Drives me mad

But it works for him. He’s a weird dude.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 13:28 - Sep 5 with 1828 viewsNov77

Have a horrible feeling this series is going to become known as smith’s ashes.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 13:38 - Sep 5 with 1815 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes thread on 13:28 - Sep 5 by Nov77

Have a horrible feeling this series is going to become known as smith’s ashes.

I have a horrible feeling that you are right. We seem incapable of removing him. However, let's hope we are both wrong and we go on to win the Ashes and it's known as Stokes' Ashes (it is what he deserves after Headingley).

I'm on the train up to Old Trafford now. Hoping the convicts have collapsed by the time my train gets into Manchester Picadilly!
Ashes thread on 14:08 - Sep 5 with 1780 viewsNov77

I’ve seen it all now, a spinner bowling a no ball, leach from hero to villain.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 14:11 - Sep 5 with 1770 viewsNov77

Oz should be 7 down now with the new ball to come at the tail but for Roy dropping a sitter and leach getting smith out off a no ball.

Ashes thread on 14:37 - Sep 5 with 1743 viewsnix

Ashes thread on 14:11 - Sep 5 by Nov77

Oz should be 7 down now with the new ball to come at the tail but for Roy dropping a sitter and leach getting smith out off a no ball.

It's infuriating. Got to feel for Root. He sets up the field, comes up with the plans for getting these players out and then they make these mistakes.
Ashes thread on 15:29 - Sep 5 with 1708 viewsCamberleyR

Been an absolutely horrific session this one.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 15:40 - Sep 5 with 1691 viewsNov77

Throwing any chance of winning this one away, best hope is for rain, a draw and onto the oval.

Joe roots body language as captain is awful. Hunched shoulders, no enthusiasm.

This’ll be one win (thanks to stokes) in 9 ashes tests for him as captain.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 16:24 - Sep 5 with 1659 viewsblacky200

Is it too much to ask Stokes to get 350 runs
Ashes thread on 16:57 - Sep 5 with 1629 viewsElHoop

We're in a lot of f*cking trouble here. I'm not sure that Oz will even bat again. Somehow we have to scramble a draw.
Ashes thread on 17:28 - Sep 5 with 1590 viewsted_hendrix

Wont be seeing the little urn for a while now I'm afraid.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 17:30 - Sep 5 with 1588 viewsNov77

Leach and Roy’s errors have so far cost us 150 runs

Ashes thread on 17:38 - Sep 5 with 1579 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 17:28 - Sep 5 by ted_hendrix

Wont be seeing the little urn for a while now I'm afraid.

4 years at least

Ashes thread on 17:48 - Sep 5 with 1568 viewsflynnbo

What's up with Archer? His bowling has been really poor this innings by his own high standards.
Ashes thread on 18:13 - Sep 5 with 1553 viewsAntti_Heinola

The only hope we have now of remotely saving this is for jonno to come on here and absolutely tear into every player in the England side. Even then I have my doubts.
What a waste.
Still, Tests change quickly.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 18:19 - Sep 5 with 1547 viewsted_hendrix

We have totally gone to pieces in this last session, players look and are well beaten, a poor display and a lack of discipline almost unbelievable.
Sadly we have no chance at all, badly beaten up in our own back yard.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 19:04 - Sep 5 with 1521 viewsStanisgod

And so it begins.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Sep 5 with 1515 viewsCamberleyR

I think we've all seen now that they have managed to pick themselves up off the floor after the massive deflation of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at Headingley. I doubt we would have posted 500 batting first in the next test had the situation been reversed...

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 21:42 - Sep 5 with 2035 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Sep 5 by CamberleyR

I think we've all seen now that they have managed to pick themselves up off the floor after the massive deflation of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at Headingley. I doubt we would have posted 500 batting first in the next test had the situation been reversed...

The convicts went off and played some more red ball cricket whilst we had a 'rest'. Our preparations for this series have been an absolute joke. The ECB are an absolute joke. Test cricket in this country was alive and well, but it won't be in 10 years time. The ECB destroying it.
Ashes thread on 23:46 - Sep 5 with 1951 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 21:42 - Sep 5 by The_Beast1976

The convicts went off and played some more red ball cricket whilst we had a 'rest'. Our preparations for this series have been an absolute joke. The ECB are an absolute joke. Test cricket in this country was alive and well, but it won't be in 10 years time. The ECB destroying it.

Jeez. Apparently a week is a long time in cricket, too.

It's been a helluva series so far. We've seen THE top batsman performing brilliantly against A top batsman turning in THE top innings, possibly in a generation, as well as the emergence of an awesome new bowler. I'm f*cking loving this.

Plusses for Oz were Paine's and Starc's half centuries, serendipitous Labuschagne's continued reliability and Archer having trouble firing in the frigid conditions (is he cold-blooded?, I'm just hanging shit on the bloke because it's his first faltering in a seriously scary summer!).
[Post edited 5 Sep 2019 23:46]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 23:49 - Sep 5 with 1953 viewsBlackCrowe

I think we're gonna need a bigger bat (sic).

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 00:26 - Sep 6 with 1932 viewsthame_hoops

NO need to panic just yet, we will bat well and draw this test, Smith won’t possibly keep it up at the oval and we will win 2-1
Ashes thread on 03:55 - Sep 6 with 1896 viewsozexile

Pray for Rain.
Ashes thread on 04:48 - Sep 6 with 1884 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 03:55 - Sep 6 by ozexile

Pray for Rain.

Rain won’t save you

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 05:04 - Sep 6 with 1879 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes thread on 19:09 - Sep 5 by CamberleyR

Maybe, maybe not, but it was a very good toss to win on a great batting pitch so I think we'd have also got a decent score and it might have been a very different story. Runs on the board always important and with the pitch the way it is batting first was always going to be a big advantage in this match.

Aus have I think won the toss 3 out of 4 matches this series but this was the one where the toss was going to have the biggest impact as the other pitches have been harder for batting for both teams.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024