Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 106175 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 18:59 - Sep 8 with 1695 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 18:28 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

Is this Burns, Root or Broad?

You really are a classless nerk.

3 questions:
How long have you lived over there to be so bitter towards England?

Where were you born, and are you of Scottish or Irish heritage?

I actually predicted an Aussie win in this series before the first test. The big difference between the sides has been Steve Smith. He has been absolutely brilliant in this series, and I take my hat off to him. He’s by far the best batsman in the world. Without him, England would’ve won back the ashes.
Ashes thread on 19:07 - Sep 8 with 1670 viewsstowmarketrange

Well done to the Aussies on retaining the ashes.Steve Smith was the main difference between the 2 sides and we’ve struggled to get him out in all 3 tests he’s played.
On to the Oval and a chance to level the series.
Ashes thread on 19:08 - Sep 8 with 1669 viewsMedwayR

Rebuild required. Time to move on from Jimmy, leave out the one day players (Roy, Buttler) and Root needs to stop playing one day cricket too imo, focus on being a test batsman & captain.

Poll: Who’s better?

Ashes thread on 19:13 - Sep 8 with 1652 viewsAntti_Heinola

Root's one of the best one day players in the world, not a chance he should stop that.
I know hardcore cricket fans, myself included, love Tests and they are the ultimate test, but one day is the most important thing in keeping this sport alive and kicking. That means picking the best team.

However, I wiuld have separate coaching teams for red and white ball cricket. I don't think it can effectively be done by the same lot. Giles, who I'm far from convinced by, sadly thinks the opposite. I think Strauss was about to make that big chnge and it's such an (understandable) shame he's no longer in charge.

Bare bones.

Ashes thread on 19:19 - Sep 8 with 1636 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 18:59 - Sep 8 by Snipper

You really are a classless nerk.

3 questions:
How long have you lived over there to be so bitter towards England?

Where were you born, and are you of Scottish or Irish heritage?

I actually predicted an Aussie win in this series before the first test. The big difference between the sides has been Steve Smith. He has been absolutely brilliant in this series, and I take my hat off to him. He’s by far the best batsman in the world. Without him, England would’ve won back the ashes.

A Classless Nerk

I am not bitter towards England. It's you lot, you are just so much fun!

Hammersmith General Hospital, Du Cane Road, W12 (go on, beat that!). Yes and yes, also Welsh and English.

I'm still not predicting an Aussie win in this series but what do I know?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 19:35 - Sep 8 with 1599 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 19:08 - Sep 8 by MedwayR

Rebuild required. Time to move on from Jimmy, leave out the one day players (Roy, Buttler) and Root needs to stop playing one day cricket too imo, focus on being a test batsman & captain.

I think Jimmy deserves the chance to get 600 test wickets over the next year or so
Ashes thread on 19:37 - Sep 8 with 1593 viewspastieR

Ashes thread on 18:45 - Sep 8 by Rangersw12

Pope needs to bat 6 though

My team for the Oval

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Butler ( WK)
Overton
Archer
Leach
Broad

Curran for Overton, even though it was a heroic effort today.
Ashes thread on 19:41 - Sep 8 with 1579 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 18:45 - Sep 8 by Rangersw12

Pope needs to bat 6 though

My team for the Oval

Burns
Sibley
Denly
Root
Stokes
Pope
Butler ( WK)
Overton
Archer
Leach
Broad

I think Denly can actually open, he’ll grow into the role. I don’t quite understand what the gripe with Wokes is, i think he’s got a good work rate, is a team player and can bat.
I know there’s excuses and then there’s excuses but it’s relatively unsurprising that the majority of those that have underperformed have played a lot of cricket of late.
I think there have been some really positive glimpses throughout this series, whenever I thought England would fold like deckchairs they showed some real grit and determination.
Burns has outperformed a lot of players his senior on both sides.
Archer will be great as long as people just let him do his thing. Imagine him in tandem with Anderson and then broad too!
Denly will grow into his role
Bairstow will be back
Buttler will be better given some time too
Will we ever see moeen in an England shirt again?
Roy will have to go though, I just don’t think he’s a red ball player. Just like Morgan, Compton was better than Roy and got the elbow.
Leach is good but I not sure whether I don’t prefer Rashid tbh
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 19:44 - Sep 8 with 1570 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 19:19 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

A Classless Nerk

Hammersmith General Hospital, Du Cane Road, W12 (go on, beat that!). Yes and yes, also Welsh and English.

I just don’t get your hatred towards England. When I lived in Australia for a year, I became more passionate about being English, and where I hailed from.

It was the same for any English people we met who had emigrated.

If I’d have stayed in Australia (and I had the chance to) I’d have now been there 30 years. There would have been absolutely no chance of me ever supporting Australia over England, whatever the sport.
Ashes thread on 19:56 - Sep 8 with 2153 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 19:44 - Sep 8 by Snipper

I just don’t get your hatred towards England. When I lived in Australia for a year, I became more passionate about being English, and where I hailed from.

If I’d have stayed in Australia (and I had the chance to) I’d have now been there 30 years. There would have been absolutely no chance of me ever supporting Australia over England, whatever the sport.

Just like Pattinsons family then, who had to have their arm twisted to support their son and brother playing for Australia.
Ashes thread on 20:30 - Sep 8 with 2104 viewspastieR

Ashes thread on 19:41 - Sep 8 by willis1980

I think Denly can actually open, he’ll grow into the role. I don’t quite understand what the gripe with Wokes is, i think he’s got a good work rate, is a team player and can bat.
I know there’s excuses and then there’s excuses but it’s relatively unsurprising that the majority of those that have underperformed have played a lot of cricket of late.
I think there have been some really positive glimpses throughout this series, whenever I thought England would fold like deckchairs they showed some real grit and determination.
Burns has outperformed a lot of players his senior on both sides.
Archer will be great as long as people just let him do his thing. Imagine him in tandem with Anderson and then broad too!
Denly will grow into his role
Bairstow will be back
Buttler will be better given some time too
Will we ever see moeen in an England shirt again?
Roy will have to go though, I just don’t think he’s a red ball player. Just like Morgan, Compton was better than Roy and got the elbow.
Leach is good but I not sure whether I don’t prefer Rashid tbh

i assumed woakes hasn't been fully fit?, considering the amount he has bowled when picked
Ashes thread on 20:44 - Sep 8 with 2091 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 20:30 - Sep 8 by pastieR

i assumed woakes hasn't been fully fit?, considering the amount he has bowled when picked

I dunno if some of the pundits are to be believed there seems to be some sort of upset between him and root, fitness was never mentioned as far as I remember
Ashes thread on 20:49 - Sep 8 with 2075 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 19:44 - Sep 8 by Snipper

I have to remind you that I don't hate England, but otherwise, on what you've said there, I do agree that we are very different people.

I look forward to our continued exchange of views in the future, or of my receiving further down-arrows from you, in the event that you can't think of anything to say.

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Sep 8 with 2061 viewsRangersw12

Ashes thread on 19:19 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

A Classless Nerk

Ah so your just trolling then

What a wonderful and exciting life you must lead !
Ashes thread on 21:14 - Sep 8 with 2038 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Sep 8 by Rangersw12

We should all remember that the only reason any of us are on this forum is because we all love a funny little football club in West London.

For me, the highlight of the day was Stokes walking when caught behind. Classy and a great example of good sportsmanship.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 21:17 - Sep 8 with 2032 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 20:49 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

I have to remind you that I don't hate England, but otherwise, on what you've said there, I do agree that we are very different people.

I look forward to our continued exchange of views in the future, or of my receiving further down-arrows from you, in the event that you can't think of anything to say.

I actually enjoy having banter with you. In all the years I’ve been on this board, I can probably count all the down arrows I’ve done on one hand.

I down arrowed your post because I can’t believe an English person would take great satisfaction in losing to their greatest enemy at cricket.

I just think it’s weird.
Ashes thread on 21:18 - Sep 8 with 2020 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 21:02 - Sep 8 by Rangersw12

Indeed.

Why don't you tell everyone your justification for accusing me of having "backward and racist views" and see if it stands scrutiny?

Ashes thread on 21:39 - Sep 8 with 1980 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 21:17 - Sep 8 by Snipper

I actually enjoy having banter with you. In all the years I’ve been on this board, I can probably count all the down arrows I’ve done on one hand.

I down arrowed your post because I can’t believe an English person would take great satisfaction in losing to their greatest enemy at cricket.

I just think it’s weird.

Ta. Me, too.

But as for "I can’t believe an English person would take great satisfaction in losing to their greatest enemy at cricket"? You don't hear the pomposity in that?

Also, the idea that, the longer you stayed in Oz, the more English you'd become? You do realise that it is that sort of sentiment that Aussies (and Kiwis) both expect and dislike from the English?

And that is just sad.

Ashes thread on 22:01 - Sep 8 with 1963 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 21:39 - Sep 8 by isawqpratwcity

Ta. Me, too.

But as for "I can’t believe an English person would take great satisfaction in losing to their greatest enemy at cricket"? You don't hear the pomposity in that?

Also, the idea that, the longer you stayed in Oz, the more English you'd become? You do realise that it is that sort of sentiment that Aussies (and Kiwis) both expect and dislike from the English?

And that is just sad.

‘Also, the idea that, the longer you stayed in Oz, the more English you'd become? You do realise that it is that sort of sentiment that Aussies (and Kiwis) both expect and dislike from the English?’

That works both ways fella. The Aussies & Kiwis you get over here are the same. But the difference is, we don’t hate them or dislike them because of who they are. And I wouldn’t be so quick to put the Kiwis in the same boat as the Aussies when it comes to hating the English.
I also stayed in New Zealand for 2 and a half months. I can honestly say that the Kiwis were fantastic people who didn’t give out insults.
The Aussies on the other hand, loved dishing out insults. It was like they were testing you, to see how you’d react. With 99% of them, I laughed it off and we ended up having friendly banter, but the other 1% hated you no matter what.

I loved my time in Australia & New Zealand though. One thing we did impress them with was our drinking. Jesus, we put some away. I can’t drink for shìt nowadays. Lol
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 22:02]
Ashes thread on 22:31 - Sep 8 with 1927 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 22:01 - Sep 8 by Snipper

‘Also, the idea that, the longer you stayed in Oz, the more English you'd become? You do realise that it is that sort of sentiment that Aussies (and Kiwis) both expect and dislike from the English?’

That works both ways fella. The Aussies & Kiwis you get over here are the same. But the difference is, we don’t hate them or dislike them because of who they are. And I wouldn’t be so quick to put the Kiwis in the same boat as the Aussies when it comes to hating the English.
I also stayed in New Zealand for 2 and a half months. I can honestly say that the Kiwis were fantastic people who didn’t give out insults.
The Aussies on the other hand, loved dishing out insults. It was like they were testing you, to see how you’d react. With 99% of them, I laughed it off and we ended up having friendly banter, but the other 1% hated you no matter what.

I loved my time in Australia & New Zealand though. One thing we did impress them with was our drinking. Jesus, we put some away. I can’t drink for shìt nowadays. Lol

" I can’t drink for shìt nowadays. Lol"

I can vouch for that.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 22:38 - Sep 8 with 1918 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 22:31 - Sep 8 by ted_hendrix

" I can’t drink for shìt nowadays. Lol"

I can vouch for that.

They all can 🤣🤣🤣.

Are you getting down the Rangers this season Ted?
Ashes thread on 22:45 - Sep 8 with 1905 viewsisawqpratwcity

So you do actually get the irreverence that is the pearl of antipodean culture? How can you appreciate that and yet expect, indeed, hope to get 'more English'? (I do find it genuinely sad when people strongly resist any degree of assimilation.)

Alas, Pommy Bashing (metaphorical) isn't unknown in NZ. I can remember being introduced as a new immigrant and being immediately asked "So, what don't you like about the place?" I suppose they'd found that with Whingeing Poms, it saved time.

As for the cultural handicaps of Kiwis and Aussies, sure, no-one is fault-free. I still have a recognisable London accent, and am always happy to wear the 'Pommy Bastard' hat and distribute salient observations when required.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 22:50]

Ashes thread on 22:56 - Sep 8 with 1895 viewsozexile

I'm expecting lots of good natured abuse today and rightly so. I was on my high horse and still am after our World Cup win. Never had a problem being a POM in Oz.
The Aussies will accept anyone if you can give it out and take it back.
Ashes thread on 00:03 - Sep 9 with 1871 viewsPommyhoop

The above is correct. My neighbour hails from the fluffy white cloud land and loves me but hates all things Australian. After many a session on the stubbies listening to his views I've come to the realization ( I'm half Irish BTW) that it is similar to the Irish and English relationship. Oh, did I mention his main gripe is the Ozzies love to dish it out but cannot take it back...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ashes thread on 00:05 - Sep 9 with 1868 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 22:38 - Sep 8 by Snipper

They all can 🤣🤣🤣.

Are you getting down the Rangers this season Ted?

Most definitely mate, however my time is full on busy at the moment as after me buying our house some 40 bloody years we sold it a couple of Months ago and we're moving to Wantage next Monday, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine what moving house could do to my stress levels, never again.
The murky world of estate agents and conveyancing solicitors, opened my eyes up that's for sure, anyway enough of this bolox, be lucky---give my regards to Johnjo if you can get a word in edge-ways

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024