Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 106176 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 06:38 - Sep 6 with 1850 viewsjohnhoop

What I find a bit surprising is the way that all the advance information about the Old Trafford pitch was that it was supposed to be the fastest, bounciest one they would play on all summer. That was supposedly the reason they included Overton, as his height would be an advantage on such a fast, hard track.
Well I don’t know who was feeding them this horsesh-t and maybe the pitch will look different when their superior pace attack have had use of it but so far it seems like a superb piece of misinformation put out to mislead our selectors and I wonder who’s responsible for it.
Ashes thread on 08:37 - Sep 6 with 1801 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 06:38 - Sep 6 by johnhoop

What I find a bit surprising is the way that all the advance information about the Old Trafford pitch was that it was supposed to be the fastest, bounciest one they would play on all summer. That was supposedly the reason they included Overton, as his height would be an advantage on such a fast, hard track.
Well I don’t know who was feeding them this horsesh-t and maybe the pitch will look different when their superior pace attack have had use of it but so far it seems like a superb piece of misinformation put out to mislead our selectors and I wonder who’s responsible for it.

Exactly. And I can only think Overton got the nod mainly because He Once Got Steve Smith Out. But Old Trafford traditionally takes spin so not why consider our additional options there? Other than Denly and Root...

Was not much fun watching that in person but hey at least I can tell my grandchildren I saw Steve Smith score a double ton :) The wheels properly came off after lunch with the Roy drop and the Leach no ball. Even with 400 runs on the board I'd have been tempted to declare and challenge the English batsmen to make a decent first innings. Which on current form looks pretty unlikely, and even with rain around today Australia should have enough time to take 20 wickets, unless our frontline batsmen show up for once.

Aside from that, not a great idea to play a Test match in Manchester in September, thankfully there was only one rain shower but it was mostly windy and chilly. Have to say Old Trafford is not my favourite venue, with the massive temporary stand it feels like they just want to shoehorn as many punters in as possible, and fleece them at the beer and food kiosks. All feels very artificial, much prefer going to the likes of Trent Bridge or Edgbaston.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes thread on 09:45 - Sep 6 with 1787 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 04:48 - Sep 6 by Hooparoo

Rain won’t save you

It might actually. I'm not sure that there will be much play today, looking at the forecast. That leaves two days to bat it out, as Oz have already taken out two days. No way will Oz give us the remotest sniff of victory, so it comes down to whether we'll collapse completely in both innings. If Oz bat again then surely it's a draw?
Ashes thread on 10:42 - Sep 6 with 1756 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 08:37 - Sep 6 by TheChef

Exactly. And I can only think Overton got the nod mainly because He Once Got Steve Smith Out. But Old Trafford traditionally takes spin so not why consider our additional options there? Other than Denly and Root...

Was not much fun watching that in person but hey at least I can tell my grandchildren I saw Steve Smith score a double ton :) The wheels properly came off after lunch with the Roy drop and the Leach no ball. Even with 400 runs on the board I'd have been tempted to declare and challenge the English batsmen to make a decent first innings. Which on current form looks pretty unlikely, and even with rain around today Australia should have enough time to take 20 wickets, unless our frontline batsmen show up for once.

Aside from that, not a great idea to play a Test match in Manchester in September, thankfully there was only one rain shower but it was mostly windy and chilly. Have to say Old Trafford is not my favourite venue, with the massive temporary stand it feels like they just want to shoehorn as many punters in as possible, and fleece them at the beer and food kiosks. All feels very artificial, much prefer going to the likes of Trent Bridge or Edgbaston.

i heard somewhere that they thought Overton was quite handy with a bat. Somehow I doubt this is the case but Ill be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Catches win matches and England werent at the races yesterday.
Ashes thread on 10:51 - Sep 6 with 1741 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 10:42 - Sep 6 by willis1980

i heard somewhere that they thought Overton was quite handy with a bat. Somehow I doubt this is the case but Ill be more than happy to be proven wrong.

I kind of despair if we are picking bowlers more for their ability with the bat than with the ball.

England management red ball thinking is all over the shop and this Test has proved it, we'll do incredibly well to get away from here with a draw.

Ashes thread on 11:23 - Sep 6 with 1706 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 10:51 - Sep 6 by TheChef

I kind of despair if we are picking bowlers more for their ability with the bat than with the ball.

England management red ball thinking is all over the shop and this Test has proved it, we'll do incredibly well to get away from here with a draw.

i couldnt agree more. You wouldve thought that Wokes has better credentials with the bat than Overton and he has also gotten Smith out before too.

poor decision making all round really, I really like Root the player but Im far from convinced by Root the captain. Vaughan and Strauss had an air of captaincy about them, Cook and Root just dont have the same IMO
No amount of facial hair on Roots chin will make me feel differently.
Ashes thread on 11:29 - Sep 6 with 1699 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 10:51 - Sep 6 by TheChef

Totally agree. Gone are the days when it was almost expected that 9, 10, 11 could barely hold a bat but we've got a top 7 with Buttler coming in at 7 FFS. If they can't get you enough runs then you should not expect the four frontline bowlers to bail them out.

England had a bad habit of picking bowlers back in the 80s/90s because they were weren't complete rabbits rather than being in the team purely for their bowling ability.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 11:47 - Sep 6 with 1678 viewsTheChef

Ashes thread on 10:42 - Sep 6 by willis1980

Well Overton has got his chance today with the bat once the rain clears! Is a Leach-seque 50 on the cards?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 13:40 - Sep 6 with 1637 viewswillis1980

Ashes thread on 11:47 - Sep 6 by TheChef

Well Overton has got his chance today with the bat once the rain clears! Is a Leach-seque 50 on the cards?

ive put my hat back on the peg where it belongs
Ashes thread on 18:36 - Sep 6 with 1524 viewsstowmarketrange

You could see that both of them were getting tired and losing concentration for 30 mins before they both got out.A decent platform but it’s a shame that 1 of them couldn’t go on to get a hundred.
Still hoping for a draw and all to play for at the Oval.
Ashes thread on 18:39 - Sep 6 with 1519 viewsCamberleyR

Roy gone. Last chance saloon for him the next innings I think.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 18:42 - Sep 6 with 1515 viewsstowmarketrange

I seem to have spoken too soon.
Ashes thread on 01:51 - Sep 7 with 1391 viewsisawqpratwcity

Thank God for Hazlewood. It looked like the English plan was to have Root and Burns bat through to Day 7 or 8 then try to bowl Australia out.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 04:03 - Sep 7 with 1363 viewsozexile

Ashes thread on 18:39 - Sep 6 by CamberleyR

Roy gone. Last chance saloon for him the next innings I think.

To be fair, he should have been dropped after the last Test. He's just not a Test Batsman doesn't matter where he bats in the order.
Ashes thread on 11:08 - Sep 7 with 1273 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 18:13 - Sep 5 by Antti_Heinola

The only hope we have now of remotely saving this is for jonno to come on here and absolutely tear into every player in the England side. Even then I have my doubts.
What a waste.
Still, Tests change quickly.

It gives me no pleasure to be proved correct in my criticism of the England test team mate. But it isn't rocket science to see that the majority of them have little or no idea how to bat, or even bowl, in test matches. One or two are learning but we were never going to beat the Aussies in this series I'm afraid. And they aren't even that good to be honest. But if one team has a batsman who you simply have no idea how to get out then you cannot take the 20 wickets you need to win a test match.
Ashes thread on 12:11 - Sep 7 with 1675 viewsNov77

7 down and not even half way to their total. Ashes

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:16 - Sep 7 with 1665 viewsrunningman75

Ashes thread on 12:11 - Sep 7 by Nov77

Hoping someone will have the guts to hang around if/ when the follow on is enforced. Root to get 200 plus second innings. Somehow have to have some optimism having followed the r's since the age of 7.
Ashes thread on 12:23 - Sep 7 with 1656 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 12:16 - Sep 7 by runningman75

Hoping someone will have the guts to hang around if/ when the follow on is enforced. Root to get 200 plus second innings. Somehow have to have some optimism having followed the r's since the age of 7.

The 150 runs leach and Roy cost us with their no ball/dropped catch look like being the difference.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:31 - Sep 7 with 1646 viewsisawqpratwcity

Calm down!

There's still two days and two innings to go.

Ashes thread on 12:37 - Sep 7 with 1632 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 12:11 - Sep 7 by Nov77

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 12:44 - Sep 7 with 1612 viewsisawqpratwcity

Another crap review from Oz.

Ashes thread on 12:54 - Sep 7 with 1595 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 12:44 - Sep 7 by isawqpratwcity

Another crap review from Oz.

Why don’t they just do the opposite of what their instinct tells them to do? They’d get them all right then!

Ashes thread on 13:23 - Sep 7 with 1559 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 12:54 - Sep 7 by Nov77

Why don’t they just do the opposite of what their instinct tells them to do? They’d get them all right then!

Nah, that would be too rational.

No, wait for the innings to be nearly over and then throw your last review away on some ridiculous thousand-to-one improbability. You don't wanna leave it in the box, right?

Then sit back and wait to be shown when you should have used it.

Ashes thread on 14:12 - Sep 7 with 1529 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 13:23 - Sep 7 by isawqpratwcity

Nah, that would be too rational.

No, wait for the innings to be nearly over and then throw your last review away on some ridiculous thousand-to-one improbability. You don't wanna leave it in the box, right?

Then sit back and wait to be shown when you should have used it.

Ahem!

You could jump up and down about the poor umpiring (it was pretty obviously out) but, bloody hell, when you're that stupid about how you use your reviews, you deserve to get punished.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 14:18]

Ashes thread on 14:22 - Sep 7 with 1517 viewsHooparoo

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio!

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024