Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 106174 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 14:28 - Sep 7 with 1507 viewsisawqpratwcity

Oz now need to build a decent score that England won't get. 359 should do it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ashes thread on 14:34 - Sep 7 with 1501 viewsjonno

Yet again, fairly brainless from England at the end of the innings. They prevent the follow on, then Buttler thinks that gives him licence to slog and he gets out, when they should both have been looking to hang around and frustrate the Aussies. Leach can block, even bat a bit, and they both could have hung around for another hour and used up almost another session, even if they had only added another 15/20 runs.
Ashes thread on 14:37 - Sep 7 with 1494 viewsrunningman75

Warner gone, just another 9 wickets to go and somehow keep Smith away from strike.
Ashes thread on 14:38 - Sep 7 with 1493 viewsisawqpratwcity

I don't mind Warner failing again, it's part of our continued "Sandpapergate" punishment, isn't it?

What I want to know is why he didn't waste a review checking the decision?
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 14:47]

Ashes thread on 14:44 - Sep 7 with 1483 viewsCamberleyR

Dear Stuart

Another 8-15 today would be lovely

Regards

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 14:44 - Sep 7 with 1482 viewsStanisgod

Seems that we fall apart after 5 o'clock and before lunch.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ashes thread on 14:56 - Sep 7 with 1470 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 14:44 - Sep 7 by Stanisgod

Would a quick, sly snort from a hip flask help?

Ashes thread on 15:07 - Sep 7 with 1447 viewsted_hendrix

Smith is in already.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 15:09 - Sep 7 with 1439 viewsted_hendrix

If nothing else Stuart Broad has beaten the fck out of fatty Warner, a nice pair.

Ashes thread on 15:17 - Sep 7 with 1426 viewsNov77

Both Aussie reviews gone already!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 15:23 - Sep 7 with 1408 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ashes thread on 15:17 - Sep 7 by Nov77

Both Aussie reviews gone already!

Labuschagne's review was 'Umpire's Call' so review not lost.

Ashes thread on 15:40 - Sep 7 with 1377 viewsted_hendrix

44/4

Ashes thread on 18:27 - Sep 7 with 1285 viewsisawqpratwcity

Surprise declaration from Tim Paine. Oz 186/6 (Smith previously out, c Stokes b Leach, for 82) leading England by 382.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 18:31]

Ashes thread on 18:35 - Sep 7 with 1268 viewsisawqpratwcity

Oh boy, England 0/2. Burns and Root gone!

Ashes thread on 18:37 - Sep 7 with 2067 viewsflynnbo

Bye bye Ashes!! Aussies have superb bowlers and waste precious few deliveries.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2019 18:38]
Ashes thread on 18:42 - Sep 7 with 2047 viewsStanisgod

Ashes thread on 14:44 - Sep 7 by Stanisgod

As I said............... What the f#ck is it about us being so sh#t at holding out for a few overs at the end?

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Ashes thread on 09:18 - Sep 8 with 1875 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 18:42 - Sep 7 by Stanisgod

As I said............... What the f#ck is it about us being so sh#t at holding out for a few overs at the end?

Won’t be long now

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 10:30 - Sep 8 with 1846 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes thread on 08:37 - Sep 6 by TheChef

Exactly. And I can only think Overton got the nod mainly because He Once Got Steve Smith Out. But Old Trafford traditionally takes spin so not why consider our additional options there? Other than Denly and Root...

Was not much fun watching that in person but hey at least I can tell my grandchildren I saw Steve Smith score a double ton :) The wheels properly came off after lunch with the Roy drop and the Leach no ball. Even with 400 runs on the board I'd have been tempted to declare and challenge the English batsmen to make a decent first innings. Which on current form looks pretty unlikely, and even with rain around today Australia should have enough time to take 20 wickets, unless our frontline batsmen show up for once.

Aside from that, not a great idea to play a Test match in Manchester in September, thankfully there was only one rain shower but it was mostly windy and chilly. Have to say Old Trafford is not my favourite venue, with the massive temporary stand it feels like they just want to shoehorn as many punters in as possible, and fleece them at the beer and food kiosks. All feels very artificial, much prefer going to the likes of Trent Bridge or Edgbaston.

I travel the globe watching the England Test team and Old Trafford is one of the poorest I've been to. Definitely the worst in this country anyway. As you say, that big temporary stand is dreadful
Ashes thread on 10:45 - Sep 8 with 1835 viewsRangersw12

Anderson being out of the series was a massive blow it meant once we got them 3/4 down after the new ball we didn't have anyone to keep the pressure going . Woakes was poor and Stokes inconsistent and a 4th seamer anyway

A fit Broad , Archer and Anderson would of made tipped it in our favour as bar Smith and no way would they have made the scores they did with that lot fit , this is an awful Australian batting unit and not much better than ours
Ashes thread on 10:56 - Sep 8 with 1818 viewsRangersw12

As for today I want us to show some fight and at least take it into the last hour the longer we keep them out there the more they will start thinking oh know it's happening again
Ashes thread on 12:04 - Sep 8 with 1769 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ashes thread on 14:03 - Sep 8 with 1705 viewsted_hendrix

5 down, as Mick Jagger once sang "Its all over now"

Ashes thread on 15:39 - Sep 8 with 1626 viewsjohnhoop

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

There is something seriously wrong with this isn’t there? I know Buttler and Overton stand almost no chance of holding out anyway but to be further handicapped by the Aussies being handed a replacement ball by the umpires which starts moving all over the place when it’s supposed to be 57 overs old is taking the p-ss.
Ashes thread on 15:48 - Sep 8 with 1616 viewsNov77

What is wrong with that third umpire! The ball clearly deflects off the bat onto the pad.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 16:12 - Sep 8 with 1576 viewsThe_Beast1976

Ashes thread on 15:39 - Sep 8 by johnhoop

There is something seriously wrong with this isn’t there? I know Buttler and Overton stand almost no chance of holding out anyway but to be further handicapped by the Aussies being handed a replacement ball by the umpires which starts moving all over the place when it’s supposed to be 57 overs old is taking the p-ss.

Not the first time it's happened either (same happened at Headingley). Everything going against us it seems (lots of our own making mind, but this replacing the ball with one that does all sorts is a joke)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024