Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 106151 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 17:12 - Aug 25 with 2251 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 17:22 - Aug 25 with 2212 viewsSnipper

Ashes thread on 16:18 - Aug 25 by isawqpratwcity

NEW ZEALAND WINS BACK ASHES!

You’re a fcuking arse cobber.
Ashes thread on 17:24 - Aug 25 with 2204 viewstoboboly

Ashes thread on 16:31 - Aug 25 by Tonto

Wow.

The name of first born (due in 10 days) is now being rediscussed!

Poor girl

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 17:30 - Aug 25 with 2181 viewsNov77

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 17:34 - Aug 25 with 2158 viewstimcocking

Amazing drama. Have to feel sorry for anybody who's missed out on an appreciation for cricket. Imagine going through a life on planet Earth and not becoming at least slightly fond of cricket?Incomprehensible.
Ashes thread on 17:35 - Aug 25 with 2158 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 15:24 - Aug 23 by stowmarketrange

I’ve got tickets for all 5 days at the Oval.Anyone want to buy days 3,4 and 5 off me?
Absolute disgrace from all of the so called batsmen.

Are these still for sale ?
Ashes thread on 17:39 - Aug 25 with 2134 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 17:24 - Aug 25 by toboboly

Poor girl

Benjamina obviously.
Ashes thread on 17:46 - Aug 25 with 2105 viewsTonto

It was 2 off 64!

Agree Roy and Buttler need to be dropped.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 17:47 - Aug 25 with 2095 viewstoboboly

Day 5 tickets at the oval still easily available at £25 each

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes thread on 17:57 - Aug 25 with 2059 viewsDWQPR

Ashes thread on 16:18 - Aug 25 by isawqpratwcity

NEW ZEALAND WINS BACK ASHES!

And not to forget that a South African saved the Lords test for Australia and top scored in both innings for them at Headingley. Take a bow Marnus Labuschagne

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Ashes thread on 18:09 - Aug 25 with 2027 viewsFredManRave

Wow.

Word of caution if your surname is Dover.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Ashes thread on 18:22 - Aug 25 with 1987 viewsNed_Kennedys

Ashes thread on 17:39 - Aug 25 by johnhoop

Benjamina obviously.

Stoketta
Ashes thread on 18:54 - Aug 25 with 1911 viewsShunter

As I said "Simples "

Amazing stuff Benjamin Stokes or should it be SIR BENJAMIN STOKES !!
Ashes thread on 18:55 - Aug 25 with 1905 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes thread on 17:35 - Aug 25 by thame_hoops

Are these still for sale ?

I was watching it on sky go sitting in the pool in Spain.I couldn’t take my eyes off of it for the last 2 hours.
I hope we’ve turned the corner and will give them a proper game in the last 2 tests.So I guess they aren’t for sale yet.
Ashes thread on 19:28 - Aug 25 with 1833 viewsngbqpr

Wow.

Stokes Tonto.

Like it.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Ashes thread on 19:29 - Aug 25 with 1831 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 12:34 - Aug 24 by jonno

England won't score 150 and will be beaten by over 200 runs.

Ha ha... More cricket gold from you... Well played England .. Magic to watch.
Ashes thread on 19:32 - Aug 25 with 1823 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 14:16 - Aug 25 by jonno

Typical England. Even when they finally start to realise how to play test cricket they still manage to throw it away as you know they will.

No we didn't .
Ashes thread on 19:34 - Aug 25 with 1817 viewsWilloW4

Ashes thread on 16:23 - Aug 25 by jonno

Absolutely unbelievable!

What.? Your predictions.?
Ashes thread on 19:38 - Aug 25 with 1805 viewsMelakaRanger

I remember the Botham Ashes match where we came back from the dead to win. Unbelievable.

I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup in the last minute against the Aussies, unbelievable too

Todays Ashes match is every bit as memorable as those two and I’ve been lucky enough to watch all three of them live.
Ashes thread on 19:56 - Aug 25 with 1782 viewsBlackCrowe

Wow.

Stokes Tonto?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Ashes thread on 20:07 - Aug 25 with 2462 viewsCiderwithRsie

Ashes thread on 17:24 - Aug 25 by toboboly

Poor girl

Stokesia

"Nice and vigorous but very compact" Exactly what you want from a baby.
Ashes thread on 20:12 - Aug 25 with 2433 viewseastside_r

Ashes thread on 19:38 - Aug 25 by MelakaRanger

I remember the Botham Ashes match where we came back from the dead to win. Unbelievable.

I remember when England won the Rugby World Cup in the last minute against the Aussies, unbelievable too

Todays Ashes match is every bit as memorable as those two and I’ve been lucky enough to watch all three of them live.

As a cricket-mad youngster in 1981, I never thought I would see a better all-round performance in a series than Botham's. I was proved wrong with Flintoff and I never thought that would be beaten. Half-way through this series, I think that Stokes has surpassed both of them.

4 down at lunch I actually thought we were favourites but then batsmen threw their wickets away (Bairstow, Woakes, Archer) when they should have been holding an end for Stokes and we were gone.

Some luck and some disastrous stuff from the Aussies, but that was out of this world.
Ashes thread on 20:35 - Aug 25 with 2377 viewsnumptydumpty

Thats was simply unreal ....

Bit like the world cup final when stepped on boundary rope when caught and deflection of the bat for more overthrows and winning by a run out - the last few moments of this test were similar

Firstly ridiculous review ie there was only eight needed but it was plainly not out - so ok they probably did not think they would get close to using another review but I felt at the time they did that they could regret it.

My god though if we were australian how peeved would we be over one of the poorest umpire decisions ever - lbw hitting the middle of middle stump - not given and no reviews for australia and even then there was also a simple run out messed up and a tough dropped catch also.

And every six stokes hit seemed to just be hit hard enough to clear the ropes and the fielders.

Also take a bow Jack Leach - not many cricketers wear spectacles on the field - only guptil of New Zealand comes to mind - and the fact he was dripping sweat every ball - and the greatest ever one not out innings in the history of test cricket.

Was pleased for Leach - I almost felt as much tension when he was on strike near the end as was imagining how bad I would feel if I played a crap shot to get out after the heroics Stokes doing at the other end.

But yes if there is a betting market on BBC Sports Personality of the Year - lump on Stokes - its inevitable winner already am sure...

The world cup was incredible - have to say this was more amazing !!!

And against backdrop of the night club incident and the criticism he took - cant say I found all that particularly great but to come back from such scenarios and create what Ben has suddenly achieved in last few months is outstanding

If only our politicians could imitate the passion and patriotic fervour that our very top sportsman seem to be able to ignite - then well sadly that one ain't going to happen

But this was beyond amazing - sublime to the ridiculous

Sir Ben Stokes MBE OBE CBE and whatever else

An unbelievable competitor - Ben Stokes probably the only person in the ground that believed England could win this at times - am sure.

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes thread on 20:36 - Aug 25 with 2375 viewsderbyhoop

England got away with one.
Stokes dropped on 33 and again later. Both difficult.
Stokes was out LBW with 2 required and Lyon fluffed a simple run out.

Stokes' heroics should not be allowed to gloss over England's batting troubles. Roy is not a Test batsman, and Buttler can't buy a run. Bairstow's weaknesses have been exposed for most of the first 3 tests.
There needs to be some changes to the batting line up but don't ask me who.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one's lifetime." (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop and now on Bluesky

Ashes thread on 20:56 - Aug 25 with 2338 viewsTonto

Ashes thread on 19:56 - Aug 25 by BlackCrowe

Stokes Tonto?

Benjamina Stokes Tonto has a certain ring to it dont you think?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024