Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Released/Retained list 15:45 - May 11 with 23678 viewsaston_hoop

Pick through this and make sense of it

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/retained-list-100523/

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Released/Retained list on 17:49 - May 11 with 2511 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Shame about Amos, when fit (beginning of 20/21) he looked a class act, but injuries have done him. Good luck to the lad.
The rest? I'll get their coats.

Chris Martin? A week ago it's all about pace and power. So we are negotiating with the living statue. What a joke.

Hoof ball galore next season then!
Released/Retained list on 17:52 - May 11 with 2489 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 17:41 - May 11 by BklynRanger

I'd be on board with that a fair bit E15 if it looked likely, and if he does sign I truly hope it is.

What undermines it for me though is GA starting him in the last game, and the comments he made about Albert in WLS - about how he's done it before in terms of getting further years out of aging players.

Yeah, I hear you on that one.
I'm guessing the reason he went with that line-up was to not throw any of the youngsters in before he's got the new squad assembled for pre-season, and to take the "heat" off them (or prevent them from interacting too much from the ones that are being released).
I think also it was an opportunity for some of them to hopefully bask in the "glory" of having survived and to play with the shackles off - that obviously somewhat backfired in both cases, with Martin missing at least three decent chances to score and Albert playing like he'd put his boots on the wrong feet.
I think you can only conclude that he sees these guy's experience as being at a premium, or maybe he genuinely thinks that rest and a pre-season under a new regime will breath new life into both of them?
Released/Retained list on 17:53 - May 11 with 2472 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Released/Retained list on 17:42 - May 11 by paulhoop2

Hey Clive

Yes it is unfortunately if a player gets injured end of contract then the club that has him contracted must offer rehab facilities etc

If true that gives me some comfort that this isn't a trick to belatedly offer him a new contract.
Released/Retained list on 17:53 - May 11 with 2477 viewsmonners1969

In the list of 6 Amos Balogun Shodipo Masterton Owens and Alfa - how many were on half decent wages I wonder? Amos and Balogun? the other 4 pretty low?

Richards will be on a decent whack now Im guessing?

Does make you wonder how big the squad will be and if these departures make any bloody difference to the FFP problems?

Assume Willock is off?
Released/Retained list on 17:57 - May 11 with 2432 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:53 - May 11 by monners1969

In the list of 6 Amos Balogun Shodipo Masterton Owens and Alfa - how many were on half decent wages I wonder? Amos and Balogun? the other 4 pretty low?

Does make you wonder how big the squad will be and if these departures make any bloody difference to the FFP problems?

Assume Willock is off?

Well, don’t forget the other 4 loans and how much we may have been contributing to that.
Released/Retained list on 17:58 - May 11 with 2424 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Released/Retained list on 17:53 - May 11 by monners1969

Assume Willock is off?

GA has already gone on record as saying that he wants to work with a smaller squad. These departures will make a negligible difference to FFP. Some sales will be required to balance the books. Expect lots of speculation regarding Willock, Dykes, Dieng and Chair in the coming weeks.
Released/Retained list on 18:00 - May 11 with 2413 viewshantssi

Released/Retained list on 17:20 - May 11 by stevec

So let me summarise your comments.

Richards has got significant off field issues.
Richards has got significant on field issues, that is you can’t get him on it.
Richards does not play in a position we can accommodate.

And our DOF gives him a three year contract.

Beam me up Scotty.

Unfortunately they didn’t have a choice, the deal was agreed last summer.
Released/Retained list on 18:06 - May 11 with 2382 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 17:46 - May 11 by Antti_Heinola

I do get bored myself of the silliness of being branded a 'happy-clapper' when I try to take a nuanced view on something and don't believe the whole club is about to explode in Ruben's face, but jesus christ mate, I genuinely think your blood must be 50% ecstasy or something. There's optimism and there's 'you know what? I think that shark just wants to be friends and it's opening its mouth wide because that's how they greet people in the ocean and actually it's a good thing I don't have that leg anymore because it might mean that my knob is going to grow into a big leg instead'

sorry.

All I'm saying, Antti, is that these are people that have God knows how many combined years of being in the game, have been in a multitude of different club situations over that time and in the board's case have successfully run multi-million pound businesses over however long.
Its not as if they're just throwing pieces of paper with different options in a tombola machine and making all of these decisions by chance, is it?
And the logical conclusion of how you've framed my viewpoint is that i think we're going to magically concoct a promotion run that has winning the division by a 10-point margin, which is not what I've actually been saying at all.
I'm simply saying that there has to be a clear rationale behind these decisions, and we're making judgements based only on what we see, not on the bigger picture, whatever that is, as we don't know what the playing budget for next season is and how far into the future they're looking - that is literally all I'm saying.
Login to get fewer ads

Released/Retained list on 18:09 - May 11 with 2358 viewsJevlar

Chris Martin in talks... Granted he's done pretty well, and seems like a decent bloke, but he was binned off by Bristol City in January, a team that comfortably beat us 2-0 on Monday and only finished 14th in the league. And he's duking it out for a place in our first XI. Jesus wept.
Released/Retained list on 18:10 - May 11 with 2355 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 18:00 - May 11 by hantssi

Unfortunately they didn’t have a choice, the deal was agreed last summer.

Exactly! And now they're working with a clearly talented lad quietly behind the scenes and tworking out how to best maximise this asset under a new set of circumstances.
I don't remember anyone passsing judgement on Sam Field when he was out for however long, the sseason before last or whenever it was - and now look at him.
Released/Retained list on 18:27 - May 11 with 2210 viewsBklynRanger

Released/Retained list on 17:57 - May 11 by Northernr

Well, don’t forget the other 4 loans and how much we may have been contributing to that.

My own quite hackneyed pet theory on that is a lot of the rifts in the squad this season where about that disparity.

Which again goes back to transfer strategy.

All very well saying 'don't worry these lads are going to help get us all into the play offs' but when you realise they're absolutely not, and are tarting about on twice what you are....morale will suffer.
Released/Retained list on 18:28 - May 11 with 2205 viewspaulhoop2

Released/Retained list on 17:53 - May 11 by Benny_the_Ball

If true that gives me some comfort that this isn't a trick to belatedly offer him a new contract.

Knowing qpr we may see a contract offered lol but yes it is a weird one but if you look back at similar circumstances clubs will offer out of contract injured players the chance to rehab must be a bad injury tho thought he was fit

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Released/Retained list on 18:28 - May 11 with 2201 viewsdaveB

Released/Retained list on 18:06 - May 11 by E15Hoop

All I'm saying, Antti, is that these are people that have God knows how many combined years of being in the game, have been in a multitude of different club situations over that time and in the board's case have successfully run multi-million pound businesses over however long.
Its not as if they're just throwing pieces of paper with different options in a tombola machine and making all of these decisions by chance, is it?
And the logical conclusion of how you've framed my viewpoint is that i think we're going to magically concoct a promotion run that has winning the division by a 10-point margin, which is not what I've actually been saying at all.
I'm simply saying that there has to be a clear rationale behind these decisions, and we're making judgements based only on what we see, not on the bigger picture, whatever that is, as we don't know what the playing budget for next season is and how far into the future they're looking - that is literally all I'm saying.

They may have been in the game a long time but they've been getting key decisions wrong at QPR for most of those years, not sure why we're supposed to trust them now
Released/Retained list on 18:30 - May 11 with 2165 viewsHAMRanger

Released/Retained list on 16:23 - May 11 by E15Hoop

That's a bit extreme isn't it?? Preswumabley the costings were already worked into the budget for this, based on when the deal was signed.
The lad has talent, and I suspect that part of the reason GA didn't use him much this season was because they're doing support work with im on his tempearmant (we know he had off-field issues which sound like they were quite heavy duty for a young lad to deal with), also for him to recover fully from his injury, and not risk an uneccesary reoccurence and probaly most obviously because of what we needed to do to grind out results.
With a proper pre-season behind him and the squad shaped to accomodate him properly (whatever that looks like in practice), why shouldn't he go on to be a success?

What where the off-field issues?
Released/Retained list on 18:31 - May 11 with 2159 viewsAndybrat

Released/Retained list on 18:09 - May 11 by Jevlar

Chris Martin in talks... Granted he's done pretty well, and seems like a decent bloke, but he was binned off by Bristol City in January, a team that comfortably beat us 2-0 on Monday and only finished 14th in the league. And he's duking it out for a place in our first XI. Jesus wept.

Cover for Dykes, reason he was brought in the first place. I reckon GA will like Kelman and SDM, I have only seen SDM once against Everton ( as a sub) and thought he looked more than OK and with an attitude. Unsure what has happened on loan, looks like injuries. The fun is just beginning.
Released/Retained list on 18:33 - May 11 with 2132 viewsdavman

Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 by Northernr

I think - and this is not based on any real inside knowledge, just my opinion - Dykes will be sold this summer. Think that Millwall thing may come back.

I think that you are right in that we WILL get bids for him and that will test the "if its not bolted down" theory of yours that I share, but if he is not replaced with something half decent (and cheaper) (i.e.: maybe not Chris Martin) WOW.

There may also be more than one team interested too...
[Post edited 11 May 2023 21:55]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Released/Retained list on 18:36 - May 11 with 2117 viewsPunteR

Released/Retained list on 16:17 - May 11 by E15Hoop

Why? He was on the end of the majority of chances we created in the last game, albeit he didn't score. Worked with Sinclair Armstrong on his positioning in the Burnley game, and scored the all-important winner. Was made captain in what GA clearly felt was a vacuum, and impressed with his honesty and leadership skills.
I don't think anyone is suggesting he'll benefit from balls being played in front of him to run on to, but he can clearly still get on the end of crosses and corners.
We've already seen glimpses of an Armstrong, Martin, Dykes front 3, and that looked like that could work, albeit it means either Dykes or Armstrong holding on to the ball long enough for Martin to catch up with play, and that's always assuming that GA sees Martin as a definite regular starter which may not be the case.

He was on the end of the majority of chances we created in the last game, albeit he didn't score.

Isn't that the point though. The scoring bit.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Released/Retained list on 18:38 - May 11 with 2109 viewsJevlar

Released/Retained list on 18:31 - May 11 by Andybrat

Cover for Dykes, reason he was brought in the first place. I reckon GA will like Kelman and SDM, I have only seen SDM once against Everton ( as a sub) and thought he looked more than OK and with an attitude. Unsure what has happened on loan, looks like injuries. The fun is just beginning.

I too liked the look of SDM in that Everton cameo, weird that he hasn't kicked on, perhaps it's injuries (like every other player we have!). Also maybe he was a bit more fired up for that Everton game as they were his old team.

Martin as cover for Dykes worked well but truth is he ended up partnering Dykes rather than being his back up. He isn't the answer, but then it depends if you like your Matt Smith style of forwards. The final 10/15 minutes of game - good plan B, but for me, not Plan A

We've only just begun...
Released/Retained list on 18:42 - May 11 with 2076 viewsBklynRanger

Released/Retained list on 18:36 - May 11 by PunteR

He was on the end of the majority of chances we created in the last game, albeit he didn't score.

I love/hate the word 'albeit' - one of the few remaining bastions of this fair lexicon but largely meaningless
Released/Retained list on 18:46 - May 11 with 2053 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 18:28 - May 11 by daveB

They may have been in the game a long time but they've been getting key decisions wrong at QPR for most of those years, not sure why we're supposed to trust them now

Partly because we don't have a choice, and partly because they're business men at the end of the day, and having burdened themselves with an open-ended money pit like us for these last 10 years, and having taken the decision not to cut and run, they're going to obviously be looking at what a sensible long-term plan is right across the whole structure of the club.
Now - before anyone asks - I have no idea why we need so many Academy staff, and why that number has increased at a ridiculous rate over this last year or so, but given how much money we're sinking into Heston, coupled with how much money they've already burnt through, there has to be a reason that we're not being given for that specifically.
Released/Retained list on 18:49 - May 11 with 2020 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 18:36 - May 11 by PunteR

In that game - but i seem to remember he scored the goal that effectively has gone a long way to keeping us in the division..
Plus, as I said earlier, everyone's making a fuss based on the assumption that he's being seen as a regular starter, which may not be the case.
Released/Retained list on 18:55 - May 11 with 1974 viewsPunteR

Released/Retained list on 18:46 - May 11 by E15Hoop

Partly because we don't have a choice, and partly because they're business men at the end of the day, and having burdened themselves with an open-ended money pit like us for these last 10 years, and having taken the decision not to cut and run, they're going to obviously be looking at what a sensible long-term plan is right across the whole structure of the club.
Now - before anyone asks - I have no idea why we need so many Academy staff, and why that number has increased at a ridiculous rate over this last year or so, but given how much money we're sinking into Heston, coupled with how much money they've already burnt through, there has to be a reason that we're not being given for that specifically.

Mate your becoming a parady of yourself.
We're not stupid. We can see what's been going on at the club for the last decade.
I'm not sure what your point is. Your like that Paul Whitehouse character where everything is "Brilliant!"

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Released/Retained list on 18:56 - May 11 with 1961 viewsdmm

Released/Retained list on 17:34 - May 11 by Northernr

One of a sizeable collection of goalkeepers we carry around at youth/B Team level.

Ahem, point of order. The said Mr Harry Halwax has been released from QPR.
Released/Retained list on 18:59 - May 11 with 1913 viewssprocket

Find it depressing that we are even considering re-signing Martin. Assuming Dykes is off then we really are in serious trouble if Martin is part of the proposed solution.
Released/Retained list on 19:04 - May 11 with 1879 viewsVancouverHoop

Released/Retained list on 18:09 - May 11 by Jevlar

If Dobson's to be believed the team badly needs 'Dressing Room leaders." Apparently coaches/managers don't count in that regard because "The Room" belongs to the players. With Johansen, Adomah and Balogun apparently leaving we're short of an old-head within the squad and Martin does fulfill that role. I suppose with five subs you can carry the occasional geezer if his main job isn't actually scoring goals anymore.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024