Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Released/Retained list 15:45 - May 11 with 23679 viewsaston_hoop

Pick through this and make sense of it

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/retained-list-100523/

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 with 1973 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:16 - May 11 by HAYESBOY

If we re-sign Martin, Kelman also has the option taken up, That means our strike force is:

Dykes, Armstrong, Kelman and Martin.

Thought Ainsworth stated he wanted pace upfront??

I think - and this is not based on any real inside knowledge, just my opinion - Dykes will be sold this summer. Think that Millwall thing may come back.
Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 with 1972 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 17:14 - May 11 by Northernr

Well, I'm with you mate, but there's "positive rationale" behind all the decisions apparently so I'll just clap along and look forward to traipsing around the joint for his 15 appearances again next season if that's the direction we are going to take.

Better than being permanently miserable and assuming that no-one knows what they're doing, isn't it?
Plus 15 appearances where Balogun organises the defence and performs like he did at the start of last season would surely have you giving the same kind of positive reporting that you did on him at that time wouldn't it, or have I missed something?
Released/Retained list on 17:19 - May 11 with 1957 viewsridethewave

Released/Retained list on 17:00 - May 11 by E15Hoop

That's not my point, Clive. Everyone on here seems determined to be deliberately negative about these decisions, but you can't scrutinise them properly if no-one's putting a positive case forwards.
The management team, DoF and clubs they've been loaned out to in Kelman's case, for example, are obviously in regular communication with each other - its not as if they're re-signing or keeping players purely to p*ss us off, is it? Therefore logic dictates that ther ehas to be a positive rationale behind the decisions, and that's what I'm attempting to express to counterbalance what everyone else seems to be saying.

You use the term "logic dictates" and I'm curious, what part of our football club can you possibly determine has been run with logic dictating anything in this past year?
Released/Retained list on 17:20 - May 11 with 1946 viewsQPROslo

Released/Retained list on 17:10 - May 11 by E1Hoop

But we keep retaining players that don’t get anywhere near our first team. So the track record is not good. If we are in serious discussions with Martin then next year our 4 forwards will be Dykes, good for another 8 goals, Martin perhaps 4 off the bench, Armstrong not many and Kelman even less.
I am usually optimistic but Armstrong and Kelman are going to have to improve massively to make a difference next year. But with those 4 on the books how can our limited budget support more strikers?
It would make more sense to me to let as many out of contract players leave as we can and have more options to make changes.
We have really limited funds and are tying money up on players that just don’t seem to be anywhere near first team standard.

Surely we are going to sell Dykes if we can get a couple of Clubs interested? He looks probably our most valuable asset to me.
Released/Retained list on 17:20 - May 11 with 1938 viewsstevec

Released/Retained list on 16:46 - May 11 by E15Hoop

I don't get all this abuse/anger against this lad. As I wrote a couple of posts ago, ther's clearly something going on behind the scenes, and we know he had a significant off-field issue to cope with that sounded pretty horrendous tbh.
Coupled with his injury issues, and the fact we probably weren't best set up to accommodate him, why is everyone so upset with the fact he hasn't been seen much?

So let me summarise your comments.

Richards has got significant off field issues.
Richards has got significant on field issues, that is you can’t get him on it.
Richards does not play in a position we can accommodate.

And our DOF gives him a three year contract.

Beam me up Scotty.
Released/Retained list on 17:21 - May 11 with 1936 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 by E15Hoop

Better than being permanently miserable and assuming that no-one knows what they're doing, isn't it?
Plus 15 appearances where Balogun organises the defence and performs like he did at the start of last season would surely have you giving the same kind of positive reporting that you did on him at that time wouldn't it, or have I missed something?

Yes, apparently you missed the season being nine months long and Balogun's contribution to the other eight of those.

If you've got a limited budget you shouldn't be committing it to people who can only do 15 games - which is all he's been able to do for each of the last ten seasons. We shouldn't have signed him last summer, as I said at the time. If the league was decided based on six good games in October we'd have won the fcking thing.

In his case, they haven't done that yet, so we'll wait and see on that one.

Dobson and Ainsworth have both recently spoken about fitness, pace, getting forwards quicker, counter attacking speed. Negotiating a new deal with Chris Martin blows my mind.
Released/Retained list on 17:22 - May 11 with 1923 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 by BklynRanger

I don't remember entering a summer when I really don't care who leaves.

There's usually at least one or two but I'm completely agnostic.

Even Sam Field. As long as he doesn't go to Glasgow Rangers I'd bid him adieu and wish him well - he's one of very very few who have earned to right to look for a better deal if he can get one. Ilias would be another.

It's almost liberating in a 'pass me that crate of Special Brew' sort of way.

Edit: The point being of course who stays. OK I get it now. Shit.
[Post edited 11 May 2023 17:18]

It's actually hard to dedicate any time to thinking about this because we've no idea anymore who's making the decisions, what style of play we're recruiting for or what our budget is.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Released/Retained list on 17:24 - May 11 with 1892 viewsBklynRanger

Released/Retained list on 17:21 - May 11 by Northernr

Yes, apparently you missed the season being nine months long and Balogun's contribution to the other eight of those.

If you've got a limited budget you shouldn't be committing it to people who can only do 15 games - which is all he's been able to do for each of the last ten seasons. We shouldn't have signed him last summer, as I said at the time. If the league was decided based on six good games in October we'd have won the fcking thing.

Dobson and Ainsworth have both recently spoken about fitness, pace, getting forwards quicker, counter attacking speed. Negotiating a new deal with Chris Martin blows my mind.

Yeah but Chris Martin doesn't need to get forward - because he's already there - talking to the lino.

See? All the yards he needs are in his giant head.
Login to get fewer ads

Released/Retained list on 17:25 - May 11 with 1883 viewsRangersw12

Released/Retained list on 17:17 - May 11 by Northernr

I think - and this is not based on any real inside knowledge, just my opinion - Dykes will be sold this summer. Think that Millwall thing may come back.

Rumour on our group chat is we're apparently after Alfie May to replace him 👀

It's going to be a very long season
Released/Retained list on 17:28 - May 11 with 1849 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 17:19 - May 11 by ridethewave

You use the term "logic dictates" and I'm curious, what part of our football club can you possibly determine has been run with logic dictating anything in this past year?

I hear you, RTW, but we're only looking in from the outside, aren't we? We're not in the boardroom discussions, we don't see the interplay between the management team and the DoF, we don't know how far into the future they're looking with their decisions on who to release and who to keep on the playing staff - we're just drawing conclusions from what we see.
I have no doubt that Clive will ask searching questions about a lot of this stuff when next given an opportunity by the club to do this. I'm just taking the view that all of these people with their combined experience of running multi-miilon pound turnover businesses or longevity in the professional game actually have a proper direction of travel, or at least a clear view of how to rescue us from an impending crisis.
Released/Retained list on 17:28 - May 11 with 1837 viewsstevec

Released/Retained list on 17:25 - May 11 by Rangersw12

Alfie May is not a bad player and, whisper it quietly, he knows where the goal is.
Released/Retained list on 17:28 - May 11 with 1846 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:25 - May 11 by Rangersw12

Once scored four in a game against Wycombe so...

Has scored goals recently, in a mediocre team that's punching above its weight in that league, and scores them with both feet which makes him look a bit of a cut above the level he's at. Also, budget concerns, we're going to have to take a few chances like that, and we weren't any good at buying strikers even when there was a little bit to spend. But, yeh, 29... no real indication prior to a recent hot streak... it would be a tall order.
Released/Retained list on 17:31 - May 11 with 1822 viewspaulhoop2

Released/Retained list on 15:58 - May 11 by Northernr

Balogun based here for pre-season while he recovers from injury feels very much like he's getting another year if they're satisfied that's cleared up too.

Clubs have duty to keep injured players training to rehab unfortunately a weird pfa rule unfortunately Clive !

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Released/Retained list on 17:32 - May 11 with 1808 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:31 - May 11 by paulhoop2

Clubs have duty to keep injured players training to rehab unfortunately a weird pfa rule unfortunately Clive !

Is that true - I've never heard that one before...
Released/Retained list on 17:33 - May 11 with 1801 viewsRangersDave

Harry Hallwax ?

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Released/Retained list on 17:34 - May 11 with 1796 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:33 - May 11 by RangersDave

Harry Hallwax ?

One of a sizeable collection of goalkeepers we carry around at youth/B Team level.
Released/Retained list on 17:34 - May 11 with 1795 viewsE15Hoop

Released/Retained list on 17:21 - May 11 by Northernr

In Martin's case, presumably this is something that everyone's aware of, and, again, we're only on the outside looking in, aren't we?
Maybe they want him in mainly as a mentor, leading by example in training, utilising his experience in positioning, timing etc for the younger ones? Maybe its a sign that the vast majority of our signings are going to be at the much younger end of the spectrum?
I'm speculating as much, maybe more, than you are, but its not as if they're not looking at his stats every day, is it, so clearly there's a reason behind this that we're not privy to yet.
Released/Retained list on 17:36 - May 11 with 1784 viewsRangersDave

Released/Retained list on 17:34 - May 11 by Northernr

One of a sizeable collection of goalkeepers we carry around at youth/B Team level.

worth keeping for the name. we can nic name him 'JJ'

Oh and the greek bloke sounds like somewhere i'm going next week for some sun!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Released/Retained list on 17:36 - May 11 with 1774 viewsRangersw12

Released/Retained list on 17:28 - May 11 by Northernr

Once scored four in a game against Wycombe so...

Has scored goals recently, in a mediocre team that's punching above its weight in that league, and scores them with both feet which makes him look a bit of a cut above the level he's at. Also, budget concerns, we're going to have to take a few chances like that, and we weren't any good at buying strikers even when there was a little bit to spend. But, yeh, 29... no real indication prior to a recent hot streak... it would be a tall order.

Never heard of him tbh but at 29 and only 4 seasons in league one then good luck to him as he's gonna need it

Another one was Chris Farino and that Dieng is leaving
[Post edited 11 May 2023 17:42]
Released/Retained list on 17:38 - May 11 with 1769 viewsNorthernr

Released/Retained list on 17:36 - May 11 by Rangersw12

Never heard of him tbh but at 29 and only 4 seasons in league one then good luck to him as he's gonna need it

Another one was Chris Farino and that Dieng is leaving
[Post edited 11 May 2023 17:42]

Yeh like Dykes and Willock I suspect Dieng will be one they may try and scrape some money together for.
Released/Retained list on 17:41 - May 11 with 1749 viewsBklynRanger

Released/Retained list on 17:34 - May 11 by E15Hoop

In Martin's case, presumably this is something that everyone's aware of, and, again, we're only on the outside looking in, aren't we?
Maybe they want him in mainly as a mentor, leading by example in training, utilising his experience in positioning, timing etc for the younger ones? Maybe its a sign that the vast majority of our signings are going to be at the much younger end of the spectrum?
I'm speculating as much, maybe more, than you are, but its not as if they're not looking at his stats every day, is it, so clearly there's a reason behind this that we're not privy to yet.

I'd be on board with that a fair bit E15 if it looked likely, and if he does sign I truly hope it is.

What undermines it for me though is GA starting him in the last game, and the comments he made about Albert in WLS - about how he's done it before in terms of getting further years out of aging players.
Released/Retained list on 17:41 - May 11 with 1740 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Released/Retained list on 17:28 - May 11 by E15Hoop

I hear you, RTW, but we're only looking in from the outside, aren't we? We're not in the boardroom discussions, we don't see the interplay between the management team and the DoF, we don't know how far into the future they're looking with their decisions on who to release and who to keep on the playing staff - we're just drawing conclusions from what we see.
I have no doubt that Clive will ask searching questions about a lot of this stuff when next given an opportunity by the club to do this. I'm just taking the view that all of these people with their combined experience of running multi-miilon pound turnover businesses or longevity in the professional game actually have a proper direction of travel, or at least a clear view of how to rescue us from an impending crisis.

Conversely, you could take the view that all of these people with their combined experience of mismanaging QPR over the last decade or so, during which time they've changed direction more times than a minicab driver, don't really have a clear idea of how to take this club forward. Frankly, I trust some of those looking in from the outside more.

That all being said, Chris Martin aside, I don't have any real issue with the retained list. It's a mere prelude to the real drama of player sales and recruitment to come.
Released/Retained list on 17:42 - May 11 with 1738 viewspaulhoop2

Released/Retained list on 17:32 - May 11 by Northernr

Is that true - I've never heard that one before...

Hey Clive

Yes it is unfortunately if a player gets injured end of contract then the club that has him contracted must offer rehab facilities etc

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Released/Retained list on 17:42 - May 11 with 1740 viewsGloucs_R

Released/Retained list on 16:57 - May 11 by Maggsinho

He played 43 games this season so not sure that counts as a struggle

How many did he start?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Released/Retained list on 17:46 - May 11 with 1717 viewsAntti_Heinola

I do get bored myself of the silliness of being branded a 'happy-clapper' when I try to take a nuanced view on something and don't believe the whole club is about to explode in Ruben's face, but jesus christ mate, I genuinely think your blood must be 50% ecstasy or something. There's optimism and there's 'you know what? I think that shark just wants to be friends and it's opening its mouth wide because that's how they greet people in the ocean and actually it's a good thing I don't have that leg anymore because it might mean that my knob is going to grow into a big leg instead'

sorry.

Bare bones.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024