Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Carr. 10:28 - Feb 15 with 21903 viewsSnipper

A group of us went to see Jimmy Carr at Indigo O2 on Sunday night, and he was absolutely brilliant.
One early heckler got it for the rest of the show. The poor bloke got absolutely slaughtered. Lol 😂.

Anyway, it was completely sold out, and I wasn’t aware of anybody who was offended.

You know what you’re getting with Jimmy Carr, so if anybody doesn’t like him or his material, then don’t go, or don’t watch him on Netflix or normal television.

He said very early on in his show that he knows he’ll be cancelled coz of that ‘joke’.
The vast majority are having to pander to the very small minority. It’s their way or the highway.

Great comedy will always cause some sort of offence to somebody, whether it’s mother in law jokes, wife jokes, sexual jokes, religious jokes or general dysfunctional jokes.

Sunday was the first time I’d actually seen a proper stand up comedian live, and I’ll definitely go and see more in the future. And I don’t mean left wing political so called comedians like Nish Kumar. He’s as funny as having your nuts cut off with a blunt spoon.
Jimmy Carr. on 16:08 - Feb 16 with 2322 viewsNW5Hoop

Jimmy Carr. on 15:38 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

I disagree. This thread is a classic culture war issue. I don't think that it was started for those reasons, unlike Bazza who seems to be going through a real moment of crisis, but it was always gonna go that way.

And then the guardian journalist piped up.......and here we are

I tried to make a point the other day about Derby's admin situation and got pounced on - It's the internet. It happens.

See you call me a "Guardian journalist", but I write more for The Spectator and the FT. It's just easier for you to roll your bogeymen into one easy little parcel.
Jimmy Carr. on 16:11 - Feb 16 with 2304 viewsSnipper

Jimmy Carr. on 15:03 - Feb 16 by NW5Hoop

First, Caroline Flack wasn't "cancelled" — which refers to ground-up pressure from ordinary people; she was ripped apart by the tabloids. That's a completely different thing. Social media is a crappy thing, but don't pretend everything bad that happens on social media "cancellation".

Second, you have not one single idea what my views are on trans/GC politics. So that seems like a very bloody odd thing to drag in out of nowhere.

“Second, you have not one single idea what my views are on trans/GC politics. So that seems like a very bloody odd thing to drag in out of nowhere.”

Yet you seem to know what my views are when I’m posting on here. I wasn’t trying to dig out out snowflakes on here, but you’ve interpreted that I have.

Regarding what you said about cancel culture earlier, it does happen. It’s not a figment of our imagination.
Jimmy Carr. on 16:17 - Feb 16 with 2260 viewsdaveB

Jimmy Carr. on 10:48 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Was a couple of weeks of getting dragged on social media not what led to the death of Caroline Flack?

#BeNice n all that

"Don't say outrageous things"
What? Like that women deserve woman-only spaces, where trans people aren't waving their cocks about? Ooooh outrageous.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 10:51]

It was more a Met police cock up trying to make an example of her that ended up with her killing herself
Jimmy Carr. on 16:18 - Feb 16 with 2257 viewsNW5Hoop

Jimmy Carr. on 16:11 - Feb 16 by Snipper

“Second, you have not one single idea what my views are on trans/GC politics. So that seems like a very bloody odd thing to drag in out of nowhere.”

Yet you seem to know what my views are when I’m posting on here. I wasn’t trying to dig out out snowflakes on here, but you’ve interpreted that I have.

Regarding what you said about cancel culture earlier, it does happen. It’s not a figment of our imagination.

1. You do know your OP ends like this, don't you: "Great comedy will always cause some sort of offence to somebody, whether it’s mother in law jokes, wife jokes, sexual jokes, religious jokes or general dysfunctional jokes. Sunday was the first time I’d actually seen a proper stand up comedian live, and I’ll definitely go and see more in the future. And I don’t mean left wing political so called comedians like Nish Kumar. He’s as funny as having your nuts cut off with a blunt spoon." Those are your *actual views* that you wrote.
2. Fear exists. I would not dispute that — there are people who do not say what they believe because they fear the blowback. But I bet you can't name me 10 people whose careers have been ended — and that's the important thing, ended, because that's what cancellation is — by social media reaction to something they said.
Jimmy Carr. on 16:23 - Feb 16 with 2178 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 16:08 - Feb 16 by NW5Hoop

See you call me a "Guardian journalist", but I write more for The Spectator and the FT. It's just easier for you to roll your bogeymen into one easy little parcel.

The Spectator? Now that does surprise me. I already knew something had gone quite badly wrong at the FT.

Fairly sure I've seen you self-identify on here as a guardian journalist once upon a time - But sorry if not

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Jimmy Carr. on 16:37 - Feb 16 with 2201 viewsParkRoyalR

Jimmy Carr. on 15:02 - Feb 16 by BrianMcCarthy

Apologies.

Hard enough week without moderating this.

Hard enough week, you could say, well spare a thought for our fellow Ranger Michael Gove last night, in his finest Barbour jacket, supporting his team, seated in front of our younger more vocal fans who were enquiring if the Millwall fans to their left were of Romany stock and lived in mobile homes! Someone's always have a worse day!
Jimmy Carr. on 16:38 - Feb 16 with 2148 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 16:18 - Feb 16 by NW5Hoop

1. You do know your OP ends like this, don't you: "Great comedy will always cause some sort of offence to somebody, whether it’s mother in law jokes, wife jokes, sexual jokes, religious jokes or general dysfunctional jokes. Sunday was the first time I’d actually seen a proper stand up comedian live, and I’ll definitely go and see more in the future. And I don’t mean left wing political so called comedians like Nish Kumar. He’s as funny as having your nuts cut off with a blunt spoon." Those are your *actual views* that you wrote.
2. Fear exists. I would not dispute that — there are people who do not say what they believe because they fear the blowback. But I bet you can't name me 10 people whose careers have been ended — and that's the important thing, ended, because that's what cancellation is — by social media reaction to something they said.

"there are people who do not say what they believe because they fear the blowback"
And here you are defending the blowback.

"I bet you can't name me 10 people whose careers have been ended — and that's the important thing, ended, because that's what cancellation is — by social media reaction to something they said."
Here we go. Like with the "woke" on here using their own definition of "woke" - We get the cancelers using their own moving definition of canceled.

1) Danny Baker (Radio host)
2) David Bumble Lloyd (Cricket)
3) Sarah Champion (MP)
4) Stu Peters (Radio host)
5) Toby Young (One of the QPR fans people are allowed to have a pop at on LFW)
6) Roger Scruton (Philosopher)
7) Richard Page (NHS Director)
8) Paul Embery (Trade unionist)
9) Nick Buckley (Charity founder)
10) Nigel Farage (As if you don't know)
All have lost jobs/positions because of (Social?) media pressure following something they've said which really had little impact on their ability to do the job at hand.

Jimmy Carr. on 16:45 - Feb 16 with 2173 viewsslmrstid

Welcome aboard Dot Orgers...
Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Carr. on 16:47 - Feb 16 with 2105 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 16:17 - Feb 16 by daveB

It was more a Met police cock up trying to make an example of her that ended up with her killing herself

Really?
The guy got attacked, phones the police....."Police found Flack covered with blood when they arrived, and they reported that she admitted that she had struck Burton (saying "I did it, I whacked him round the head like that"), before warning them she would kill herself."

Wrong decision to charge? Because she mentioned killing herself?

"An inquest later found that Flack had hit and attacked Burton while he slept as she thought he was cheating, and that Burton had suffered a head wound"

Police's fault. Sack Cressida Dick. Defund the Met.
Really?

Jimmy Carr. on 17:03 - Feb 16 with 2107 viewswombat

Jimmy Carr. on 16:47 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Really?
The guy got attacked, phones the police....."Police found Flack covered with blood when they arrived, and they reported that she admitted that she had struck Burton (saying "I did it, I whacked him round the head like that"), before warning them she would kill herself."

"An inquest later found that Flack had hit and attacked Burton while he slept as she thought he was cheating, and that Burton had suffered a head wound"

Really?

Sheff are you based in west London by chance ?

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Jimmy Carr. on 17:07 - Feb 16 with 2042 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 17:03 - Feb 16 by wombat

Sheff are you based in west London by chance ?

Depends what you call west London
Most of my mates reckon I live somewhere near Wales
In reality, it's West Drayton.

Jimmy Carr. on 18:20 - Feb 16 with 1938 viewsGaryT

For those that haven't seen it, complete with his pre warning and post explanation.

I went looking for it thinking I hadn't heard the joke but after watching it I realised I had. I didn't laugh the first time I heard it, I just put it down to Jimmy Carr being Jimmy Carr. I now know it was part of a Dark Materials routine where he tells jokes that even he thinks will not be allowed in the not too distant, so might as well say them whilst he still can. I hadn't heard the warning and post joke explanation before or the extra joke about the Jehovah's witnesses but found myself laughing at the last line and then asked myself, "am I a bad person for laughing at that?". Obviously I don't think I am but this is where we are now, questioning if what we find funny should be allowed in a comedy routine.

I guess the question is, is dark humour too dark for the modern era?
Jimmy Carr. on 18:58 - Feb 16 with 1873 viewsToast_R

Went to watch the latest Jackass movie last night. I found it humorous more so because blokes in their late 40s early 50s are still putting their bodies through the mill for this ridiculous brand of entertainment. You can'thelp but laugh though. How Johnny Knoxville isn't permanently disabled by now is quite the miracle.

Some may say there is a degree of animal cruelty in some of the stunts. Hard to dissagree.
Jimmy Carr. on 19:26 - Feb 16 with 1813 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jimmy Carr. on 18:20 - Feb 16 by GaryT

For those that haven't seen it, complete with his pre warning and post explanation.

I went looking for it thinking I hadn't heard the joke but after watching it I realised I had. I didn't laugh the first time I heard it, I just put it down to Jimmy Carr being Jimmy Carr. I now know it was part of a Dark Materials routine where he tells jokes that even he thinks will not be allowed in the not too distant, so might as well say them whilst he still can. I hadn't heard the warning and post joke explanation before or the extra joke about the Jehovah's witnesses but found myself laughing at the last line and then asked myself, "am I a bad person for laughing at that?". Obviously I don't think I am but this is where we are now, questioning if what we find funny should be allowed in a comedy routine.

I guess the question is, is dark humour too dark for the modern era?

On your last question, I don't think so, and neither does Jimmy Carr's bank balance or future tour dates.

Let the market place of ideas weed them out but know that market place is policed by public opinion including people offended.

As Robith excellently put, don't try to be Voltaire. Just make us laugh and accept the misses when they come.

What a polite and non antagonistic post of yours by the way.
Jimmy Carr. on 19:38 - Feb 16 with 1776 viewsdaveB

Jimmy Carr. on 16:47 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Really?

Really?

If you read more on the case you'll know the full details, it's not as black and white as you paint it. CPS advised not to pursue a charge, her boyfriends didn't want to press charges but the Met pushed for it. Police watchdog called for an investigations into how the Met treated this case earlier this week.

Her death was absolutely nothing to do with social media
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 19:39]
Jimmy Carr. on 19:40 - Feb 16 with 1774 viewsstowmarketrange

Jimmy Carr. on 18:58 - Feb 16 by Toast_R

Went to watch the latest Jackass movie last night. I found it humorous more so because blokes in their late 40s early 50s are still putting their bodies through the mill for this ridiculous brand of entertainment. You can'thelp but laugh though. How Johnny Knoxville isn't permanently disabled by now is quite the miracle.

Some may say there is a degree of animal cruelty in some of the stunts. Hard to dissagree.

Dirty Sanchez was good in parts too.I think the funniest bit I remember is when they threw hot wax at each other.As soon as the wax met their skin it hardened.
Jimmy Carr. on 20:00 - Feb 16 with 1733 viewsWadR

Jimmy Carr. on 16:38 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

"there are people who do not say what they believe because they fear the blowback"

"I bet you can't name me 10 people whose careers have been ended — and that's the important thing, ended, because that's what cancellation is — by social media reaction to something they said."
Here we go. Like with the "woke" on here using their own definition of "woke" - We get the cancelers using their own moving definition of canceled.

3) Sarah Champion (MP)
All have lost jobs/positions because of (Social?) media pressure following something they've said which really had little impact on their ability to do the job at hand.

Not sure how 'really had little impact on their ability to do the job at hand' is remotely true of Sarah Champion, still an MP, resigning from being Shadow Secretary for Women and Equalities after writing a racist article in the Sun.
Jimmy Carr. on 20:02 - Feb 16 with 1727 viewsToast_R

Dirty Sanchez went a bit too far in my opinion as daft as that sounds.

Good interview with Knoxville on YouTube where he goes through a lot of his injuries. Bearing in mind he's broken numerous limbs, ruptured his urethra, had his eyeball come loose and was ko'd by Butterbean smashing his head open on the floor and swallowing his tongue... he maintains that the pepper spray to the face was his most excruciating moment.
Jimmy Carr. on 20:10 - Feb 16 with 1688 viewsstowmarketrange

Jimmy Carr. on 20:02 - Feb 16 by Toast_R

Dirty Sanchez went a bit too far in my opinion as daft as that sounds.

Good interview with Knoxville on YouTube where he goes through a lot of his injuries. Bearing in mind he's broken numerous limbs, ruptured his urethra, had his eyeball come loose and was ko'd by Butterbean smashing his head open on the floor and swallowing his tongue... he maintains that the pepper spray to the face was his most excruciating moment.

Yes mate,they did go ott at times,especially with all the body fluids,but some stunts and pranks were very good
Jimmy Carr. on 20:14 - Feb 16 with 1676 viewsSnipper

Jimmy Carr. on 20:00 - Feb 16 by WadR

Not sure how 'really had little impact on their ability to do the job at hand' is remotely true of Sarah Champion, still an MP, resigning from being Shadow Secretary for Women and Equalities after writing a racist article in the Sun.

Serious question, as totally unaware of the article, but what was it about?
Jimmy Carr. on 20:19 - Feb 16 with 1669 viewsWadR

Jimmy Carr. on 20:14 - Feb 16 by Snipper

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/16/sarah-champion-resigns-as-shado
Jimmy Carr. on 20:57 - Feb 16 with 1599 viewsMrSheen

Jimmy Carr. on 20:14 - Feb 16 by Snipper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
Jimmy Carr. on 21:04 - Feb 16 with 1563 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 20:00 - Feb 16 by WadR

I have no idea why people would try to decontextualize the article to support false accusations of racism, but they did, and still do. Speaks volumes when you consider who they're sympathizing with.

Jimmy Carr. on 22:27 - Feb 16 with 1477 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Recommended watch before Clive pulls the plug on this thread.

Consider the rhetoric around race, sex, and religion under the guise of humour on this thread and the rhetoric around race, sex, and religion under the guise of humour in this documentary.

There will be some characters and tactics you recognise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014khc/louis-therouxs-forbidden-america-
Jimmy Carr. on 08:28 - Feb 17 with 1296 viewsNW5Hoop

Jimmy Carr. on 16:38 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

3) Sarah Champion (MP)

That’s not 10 people who had their careers ended. Most of them are carrying in perfectly happily.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024