Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Carr. 10:28 - Feb 15 with 21901 viewsSnipper

A group of us went to see Jimmy Carr at Indigo O2 on Sunday night, and he was absolutely brilliant.
One early heckler got it for the rest of the show. The poor bloke got absolutely slaughtered. Lol 😂.

Anyway, it was completely sold out, and I wasn’t aware of anybody who was offended.

You know what you’re getting with Jimmy Carr, so if anybody doesn’t like him or his material, then don’t go, or don’t watch him on Netflix or normal television.

He said very early on in his show that he knows he’ll be cancelled coz of that ‘joke’.
The vast majority are having to pander to the very small minority. It’s their way or the highway.

Great comedy will always cause some sort of offence to somebody, whether it’s mother in law jokes, wife jokes, sexual jokes, religious jokes or general dysfunctional jokes.

Sunday was the first time I’d actually seen a proper stand up comedian live, and I’ll definitely go and see more in the future. And I don’t mean left wing political so called comedians like Nish Kumar. He’s as funny as having your nuts cut off with a blunt spoon.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:38 - Feb 16 with 1445 viewsMetallica_Hoop

None of them are a patch on Mike Reid.

"Got a cigarette? Thanks *lights up* I left mine in the machine.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Jimmy Carr. on 10:38 - Feb 16 with 1443 viewsNW5Hoop

The fact is, "cancelled" almost never means "cancelled". So few people have lost their careers for things they say. They either go to say them somewhere else, if their employer gets rid. Or they have a couple of weeks of getting dragged on social media. That's it. That is all that happens. And everyone carries on as before.

There's a simple answer here: if you don't want people to be outraged, don't say outrageous things. And if you do want to say outrageous things, expect some people to be outraged.
Jimmy Carr. on 10:44 - Feb 16 with 1411 viewswombat

Jimmy Carr. on 10:33 - Feb 16 by PunteR

I think comedy might be promoted differently but I think comedians been pretty much been the same for hundreds of years. Maybe society around it changes.?

society has changed for sure and some people want to be offended for what ever reason they can be ,
im the opposite konk i prefer the old boyle to whats on offer now
if you go back over the years
Ben Elton was superb on stage very cleaver comedy.
Billy connolly one if not the best live stand up act ever
Ricky gervas used to hate him but prob the best doing live work now gags deliver on various levels not just the punch line .

my moral compass got lost years ago and ill laugh at most things even the non pc correct stuff because ill take it what it is that persons brain making an awful thing funny its not racist etc its just how they interpret something to turn something pretty bad into something we laugh at prob shouldnt but we or some of us do.

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Jimmy Carr. on 10:48 - Feb 16 with 1384 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 10:38 - Feb 16 by NW5Hoop

The fact is, "cancelled" almost never means "cancelled". So few people have lost their careers for things they say. They either go to say them somewhere else, if their employer gets rid. Or they have a couple of weeks of getting dragged on social media. That's it. That is all that happens. And everyone carries on as before.

There's a simple answer here: if you don't want people to be outraged, don't say outrageous things. And if you do want to say outrageous things, expect some people to be outraged.

Was a couple of weeks of getting dragged on social media not what led to the death of Caroline Flack?

#BeNice n all that

"Don't say outrageous things"
What? Like that women deserve woman-only spaces, where trans people aren't waving their cocks about? Ooooh outrageous.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 10:51]

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Jimmy Carr. on 10:53 - Feb 16 with 1382 viewsrobith

Jimmy Carr. on 10:48 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Was a couple of weeks of getting dragged on social media not what led to the death of Caroline Flack?

#BeNice n all that

What? Like that women deserve woman-only spaces, where trans people aren't waving their cocks about? Ooooh outrageous.

No, it was the CPS proceeding against a very ill woman when the wronged party didn't want them to.

But nice of you to use Be Nice as you attempt to mine a woman's suicide for capital on a message board
Jimmy Carr. on 10:55 - Feb 16 with 1353 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 10:53 - Feb 16 by robith

No, it was the CPS proceeding against a very ill woman when the wronged party didn't want them to.

But nice of you to use Be Nice as you attempt to mine a woman's suicide for capital on a message board

Lmao
That why the Guardian was calling for more social media regulation in the immediate aftermath?
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/21/caroline-flack-death-socia

And - Why wouldn't the CPS be proceeding? It looked like a Murder scene after she smashed that lamp over her boyfriend's head, right?
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 10:56]

Jimmy Carr. on 10:56 - Feb 16 with 1365 viewsstowmarketrange

Jimmy Carr. on 10:44 - Feb 16 by wombat

society has changed for sure and some people want to be offended for what ever reason they can be ,
im the opposite konk i prefer the old boyle to whats on offer now
if you go back over the years
Ben Elton was superb on stage very cleaver comedy.
Billy connolly one if not the best live stand up act ever
Ricky gervas used to hate him but prob the best doing live work now gags deliver on various levels not just the punch line .

my moral compass got lost years ago and ill laugh at most things even the non pc correct stuff because ill take it what it is that persons brain making an awful thing funny its not racist etc its just how they interpret something to turn something pretty bad into something we laugh at prob shouldnt but we or some of us do.

You liked the old Susan Boyle?
Jimmy Carr. on 10:59 - Feb 16 with 1338 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Endfield and Whitehouse had Jimmy Carr right:

Login to get fewer ads

Jimmy Carr. on 11:02 - Feb 16 with 1324 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 10:59 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Endfield and Whitehouse had Jimmy Carr right:

Why do I feel like this wouldn't be made today? Baroness Token you say? Outragous

Jimmy Carr. on 11:04 - Feb 16 with 1326 viewsngbqpr

Jimmy Carr. on 10:38 - Feb 16 by NW5Hoop

Yeh, this 100% - being cancelled from playing to 200 students then moaning about it in a paper / on a TV show viewed by millions is usually the way.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jimmy Carr. on 11:06 - Feb 16 with 1315 viewsngbqpr

Jimmy Carr. on 10:48 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

#BeNice n all that

I’d love to see the evidence for your last point about trans people.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Jimmy Carr. on 11:12 - Feb 16 with 1291 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:06 - Feb 16 by ngbqpr

I’d love to see the evidence for your last point about trans people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/07/05/transgender-woman-los-angeles

Jimmy Carr. on 11:12 - Feb 16 with 1288 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jimmy Carr. on 11:02 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

Why do I feel like this wouldn't be made today? Baroness Token you say? Outragous

1) It’s ten years old.
2) I literally just posted it publicly to the world without issue.
3) You are a multi account holding antagonist, you are in no place to claim censorship or manipulation of debate.
Jimmy Carr. on 11:15 - Feb 16 with 1275 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Jimmy Carr. on 11:12 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/07/05/transgender-woman-los-angeles

Literally a paragraph down:

‘It is unclear whether a transgender woman actually used the spa’
Jimmy Carr. on 11:16 - Feb 16 with 1276 viewsknocker

Jim Davidson on in Dartford tomorrow and Wycombe Friday. Now he would upset a few luvvies on here.
Jimmy Carr. on 11:16 - Feb 16 with 1270 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:12 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

1) It’s ten years old.
2) I literally just posted it publicly to the world without issue.
3) You are a multi account holding antagonist, you are in no place to claim censorship or manipulation of debate.

1) I said it wouldn't be made today. And I'm right.
2) So? We're not talking about what you can or cant post on LFW are we?
3) Would love to see some evidence you've got to support this

Jimmy Carr. on 11:18 - Feb 16 with 1262 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:15 - Feb 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Literally a paragraph down:

‘It is unclear whether a transgender woman actually used the spa’

Keep reading.

"In one video, a person who identifies herself as the spa’s manager asks whether the transgender woman did anything specifically inappropriate, and an upset customer replies that the person’s genitalia was exposed in the women’s section of the spa."

Jimmy Carr. on 11:23 - Feb 16 with 1245 viewsEsox_Lucius

"CORRECTION
A previous version of this story, relying on information from a source, reported the transgender woman’s use of the spa as fact. The source now says they do not know whether a transgender woman actually used the spa or if the complaint was a stunt. This story has been updated".

The grass is always greener.

Jimmy Carr. on 11:26 - Feb 16 with 1233 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:23 - Feb 16 by Esox_Lucius

"CORRECTION
A previous version of this story, relying on information from a source, reported the transgender woman’s use of the spa as fact. The source now says they do not know whether a transgender woman actually used the spa or if the complaint was a stunt. This story has been updated".

So it was a stunt? But I've seen the video? Just because some trans lobby group has eventually got them to add this "correction" - It doesn't make it true

How about this then?

"Recently, a “man” claiming to be transgender, who had not yet begun physical treatments, was permitted by our local Y to use the women’s locker room. There are no secure change rooms. The person they allowed in was not courteous and stared at me while I struggled out of a wet bathing suit. He was naked, had an erection and playfully asked ‘do you come here often?’ I understand that gender is no longer judged solely by genitalia, but does a brief contact with the duty manager mean that men not yet committed to gender reassignment are free to disrobe anywhere they choose?"
https://www.thestar.com/life/2014/01/04/transgender_mans_behaviour_in_changeroom
(Then goes on to say how valid trans people are n all that because I guess she's Canadian and doesn't want to be cancelled. Speaking of Canada, how aboot those truckers eh? Maybe if the Anti-woke on this site actually used this site as you lot suggest, we'd have a multi page thread on that too?)
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 11:28]

Jimmy Carr. on 11:31 - Feb 16 with 1216 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:16 - Feb 16 by knocker

Jim Davidson on in Dartford tomorrow and Wycombe Friday. Now he would upset a few luvvies on here.

I vaguely remember Jim Davidson from a show called Generation game from when I was a kid - Did he get canceled or something? Just seemed to disappear completely one day?
He any good?

Jimmy Carr. on 11:36 - Feb 16 with 1209 viewsEsox_Lucius

Jimmy Carr. on 11:26 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

So it was a stunt? But I've seen the video? Just because some trans lobby group has eventually got them to add this "correction" - It doesn't make it true

How about this then?

"Recently, a “man” claiming to be transgender, who had not yet begun physical treatments, was permitted by our local Y to use the women’s locker room. There are no secure change rooms. The person they allowed in was not courteous and stared at me while I struggled out of a wet bathing suit. He was naked, had an erection and playfully asked ‘do you come here often?’ I understand that gender is no longer judged solely by genitalia, but does a brief contact with the duty manager mean that men not yet committed to gender reassignment are free to disrobe anywhere they choose?"
https://www.thestar.com/life/2014/01/04/transgender_mans_behaviour_in_changeroom
(Then goes on to say how valid trans people are n all that because I guess she's Canadian and doesn't want to be cancelled. Speaking of Canada, how aboot those truckers eh? Maybe if the Anti-woke on this site actually used this site as you lot suggest, we'd have a multi page thread on that too?)
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 11:28]

You should have posted a link to the video in that case, or read the article that you actually linked to before posting. Gender dysmorphia is a reality to a lot of people and a few bad apples doesn't detract from those who are genuinely struggling. They may not fit into your view of how the world should be but it doesn't make them targets for vituperation.

The grass is always greener.

Jimmy Carr. on 11:49 - Feb 16 with 1178 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:36 - Feb 16 by Esox_Lucius

You should have posted a link to the video in that case, or read the article that you actually linked to before posting. Gender dysmorphia is a reality to a lot of people and a few bad apples doesn't detract from those who are genuinely struggling. They may not fit into your view of how the world should be but it doesn't make them targets for vituperation.

Do you honestly believe that "correction" is genuine and has not been forced there by some leftist/trans lobby group? Because I'd disagree if you do. Putting problems with biological men accessing woman-only spaces down to "A few bad apples" is hugely irresponsible and I hope you'd be happy to apologise to the victims of this kind of thinking.

Anyway - Back to Cancelling Jimmy Carr - He done a village fete I went to once and made a joke about a lion eating a giraffe, everyone looked very cross and went home. What a terrible comedian.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2022 11:52]

Jimmy Carr. on 11:50 - Feb 16 with 1182 viewsKonk

Jimmy Carr. on 11:31 - Feb 16 by SheffieldHoop

I vaguely remember Jim Davidson from a show called Generation game from when I was a kid - Did he get canceled or something? Just seemed to disappear completely one day?
He any good?

Even though he was “cancelled”, he’s apparently got shows in Wycombe and Dartford, so why don’t you pop along, find out, and support brave Jim. Watch Jim standing on a stage, sticking it to the metropolitan elite/whining away about how you can’t say anything anymore.

He seemed to spend a lot of his time threatening to emigrate if Labour got in and I think he then fuc ked-off to Dubai (that might have been tax related). Showbiz is surely full of people who fell out of favour for all sorts of reasons - maybe not enough people found him funny, likeable, or interesting?

Jim Davidson fact: Scott Parker bought a house off Jim Davidson.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Jimmy Carr. on 12:03 - Feb 16 with 1160 viewsParkRoyalR

Jimmy Carr. on 11:50 - Feb 16 by Konk

Even though he was “cancelled”, he’s apparently got shows in Wycombe and Dartford, so why don’t you pop along, find out, and support brave Jim. Watch Jim standing on a stage, sticking it to the metropolitan elite/whining away about how you can’t say anything anymore.

He seemed to spend a lot of his time threatening to emigrate if Labour got in and I think he then fuc ked-off to Dubai (that might have been tax related). Showbiz is surely full of people who fell out of favour for all sorts of reasons - maybe not enough people found him funny, likeable, or interesting?

Konk, i won't have a bad word said against Jimmy, as Mrs Redknapp said, he proved to be a true friend and stayed around after Jamie and his celebrity friends moved on..er I bet he did!
Jimmy Carr. on 12:04 - Feb 16 with 1151 viewsSheffieldHoop

Jimmy Carr. on 11:50 - Feb 16 by Konk

Tbf for an ex-TV comedian Wycombe and Dartford does seem a bit small time.
But then I saw Nish Kumar in the upstairs room of a pub in Kennington a couple of years back and that also seemed very small time. He was quite bad as well, there was a young girl from the North East opening and she was probably the highlight of that night. New vs Best & most rehearsed material I guess. Anyway, I stopped going to comedy as it became hard to find a comedian not saying the same old stuff (Trump, Tories etc)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024