Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets on Sunday 19:31 - Feb 24 with 281752 viewsEllDale

They’re tweeting that their “matchday operations” are being restricted for the home game against Barrow on Sunday for reasons that they don’t want to divulge at the moment.
The bottom line is that the crowd capacity is limited to 920 and there will be no cash admissions on the day.
Wonder what that’s all about?
Hornets on Sunday on 19:04 - Jan 15 with 4829 viewsblackdogblue

Lost 46-6 today & they hope we go down…. 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Hornets on Sunday on 19:48 - Jan 15 with 4729 viewsEllDale

To be fair they were at Widnes who are a decent team a division higher.
It was 40-0 early in the second half though so it could have been worse.
Hornets on Sunday on 20:02 - Jan 15 with 4692 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 19:48 - Jan 15 by EllDale

To be fair they were at Widnes who are a decent team a division higher.
It was 40-0 early in the second half though so it could have been worse.

and a pre season warm up game…not a bottom of the table 6 pointer.
Hornets on Sunday on 20:31 - Jan 15 with 4657 viewsDalenet

Hornets on Sunday on 22:45 - Jan 11 by RAFCBLUE

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/tickets

Hornets own ticket website shows available seats and if the grey ones are sold then they've only sold 88 so far:

* 11 in Block A
* 24 in Block B
* 23 in Block C
* 30 in Block D

Boxes 11 and 12 still unsold.

So 6 weeks after they announced their season card prices and sales, they have sold 88. After VAT thats enough funds to cover 2 weeks of electricity costs at COA or around 60% of their peppercorn rent. Still Mazey thinks he can afford his own stadium. He needs to change the abacus
Hornets on Sunday on 20:48 - Jan 15 with 4614 viewsEllDale

I wish I had could do the link but Andy Mazey has been tweeting today about the Balderstone Park project.
Hornets on Sunday on 20:57 - Jan 15 with 4576 viewsnordenblue

Hornets on Sunday on 20:48 - Jan 15 by EllDale

I wish I had could do the link but Andy Mazey has been tweeting today about the Balderstone Park project.

That may be the one, the guys full of it
Hornets on Sunday on 20:59 - Jan 15 with 4571 viewsHullDale

Hornets on Sunday on 21:00 - Jan 15 with 4570 viewsDalenet

I can't do the link either. But he states that Balderstone will be the new home for Hornets RFLC. Not sure if that means a base and office for the staff or the new stadium for semi pro League One rugby league. Surely the 88 will be furious if the latter
Login to get fewer ads

Hornets on Sunday on 21:19 - Jan 15 with 4519 viewspioneer

Hornets on Sunday on 21:00 - Jan 15 by Dalenet

I can't do the link either. But he states that Balderstone will be the new home for Hornets RFLC. Not sure if that means a base and office for the staff or the new stadium for semi pro League One rugby league. Surely the 88 will be furious if the latter

I hope he is investing in good security given the adjacent kirkholt housing estate.
Hornets on Sunday on 21:39 - Jan 15 with 4450 viewsD_Alien

Hornets on Sunday on 21:19 - Jan 15 by pioneer

I hope he is investing in good security given the adjacent kirkholt housing estate.

He might be too busy "devolving" to have noticed

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hornets on Sunday on 22:29 - Jan 15 with 4380 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hornets on Sunday on 21:00 - Jan 15 by Dalenet

This is the pitch.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1522916

The last "use Balderstone rugby league experiment" lasted one season in 2007 when Balderstone Warriors were formed and then subsequently folded.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/warriors-get-set-99702

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Hornets on Sunday on 22:59 - Jan 15 with 4337 viewsEllDale

That’s the old Spotland Rangers pitch.
I remember playing on there in the early 1980’s after they’d relocated from Ings Lane. They got a fair grant from the old Sports Council to build the dressing rooms.
And no, I don’t why they switched across town!
Perhaps it was something to do with the fact that their long-standing secretary in those days lived in Royton!
I like the way in which this figure of 230,000 keeps being quoted as the population of Rochdale.
It’s actually the population of the whole of the borough which of course includes Heywood and Middleton.
Most of the people in the latter area are totally disinterested in rugby league and that’s unlikely to change no matter what and it’s perhaps disingenuous to suggest that they could.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2023 23:01]
Hornets on Sunday on 22:48 - Jan 16 with 3875 viewsR17ALE

Hornets on Sunday on 22:59 - Jan 15 by EllDale

I remember playing on there in the early 1980’s after they’d relocated from Ings Lane. They got a fair grant from the old Sports Council to build the dressing rooms.
Perhaps it was something to do with the fact that their long-standing secretary in those days lived in Royton!
I like the way in which this figure of 230,000 keeps being quoted as the population of Rochdale.
It’s actually the population of the whole of the borough which of course includes Heywood and Middleton.
Most of the people in the latter area are totally disinterested in rugby league and that’s unlikely to change no matter what and it’s perhaps disingenuous to suggest that they could.

I think you'll find most of the people in the former area are totally disinterested in egg chasing. Indeed I'd widen that to the UK.

In fact the world.

I'd even challenge you to come up with a sport invented in Britain which has a lower appeal than egg chasing world wide. I think I can think of just one!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Hornets on Sunday on 16:41 - Jan 17 with 3517 viewsBrierls

Hornets on Sunday on 22:29 - Jan 15 by RAFCBLUE

This is the pitch.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1522916

The last "use Balderstone rugby league experiment" lasted one season in 2007 when Balderstone Warriors were formed and then subsequently folded.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/warriors-get-set-99702

They'll have to pick up dogshit as part of their warmup. There's a nice hill to run up and down too.
Hornets on Sunday on 16:53 - Jan 17 with 3499 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Hornets on Sunday on 22:59 - Jan 15 by EllDale

I remember playing against Simon Holden on that pitch many moons ago. You could tell he was an ex pro, although if he had lost a yard of pace he would have stopped.

Dogshit, broken glass, syringes and Condom mine sweep and random bits of broken bricks!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Hornets on Sunday on 18:04 - Jan 17 with 3401 viewshammerdale

Hornets on Sunday on 19:04 - Jan 15 by blackdogblue

Lost 46-6 today & they hope we go down…. 😀

They? or some of them?
Hornets on Sunday on 15:07 - Feb 9 with 2538 viewsDaleiLama

Apparently, a positive meeting was held

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Hornets on Sunday on 15:35 - Feb 9 with 2448 viewsEllDale

Doesn't really say much.
What's the council's role in all this. Mediation?
Hornets on Sunday on 16:44 - Feb 9 with 2308 viewsluckystrike

Well that’s clear as mud!
Hornets on Sunday on 23:13 - Feb 9 with 2085 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hornets on Sunday on 15:07 - Feb 9 by DaleiLama

Apparently, a positive meeting was held

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/february/dalehornetscouncilmeeting_jan23

The purpose of the meeting was to explore and discuss certain possible future operational changes to the 2016 Lease, which was put in place by both parties in March 2016 when the football club legally acquired the freehold of the ground outright.

This appears to be the crux.

We know that there was a very public difference of views in 2021/2022 just after the former CEO left and around the Fiji game which both clubs seemingly seem to want to put behind them.

Mazey has been a bit more conciliatory on Twitter in recent months which is probably down to a realisation that the future growth and success of Hornets is linked to the future growth and success of the football club. Even to the point in his Christmas message where he said:

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1191/christmas-message-from-chairma

I have spoken regularly throughout the year about the challenges the club has faced. We will continue to face these challenges and meet them head on with your support, however, it is Christmas so I won’t go over old ground and our focus is absolutely on an exciting 2023.

The lease in 2016 was put in place by the then boards of both clubs and agreed by Rochdale Council and I think I am right to say there is now no common individual at either the football or rugby club that was involved in 2016.

At the time, the terms of the lease were not disclosed publicly but the lease to Rochdale Hornets looked to be part of the sale deal the Council wanted if they were to sell their shares:

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/march/rochdale-football-club-secure-full

Rochdale Council are to relinquish its shares in the company that owns and manages Spotland Stadium so that the long-term future of the sporting facility can be secured.

The council became one of three shareholders in the company when it was set up in 1991 to safeguard the stadium, which is used by Rochdale’s professional football and rugby league clubs.

The shares will transfer to Rochdale AFC and the council will recover the original outlay of £100,000.

Loans of £529,000 the stadium company has with the council will be consolidated and repaid over nine years at commercial rates, which will help keep professional sport in the borough and reduce exposure to future risk for the council.

Rochdale Hornets Rugby League Football Club have signed a new long-term lease as part of the agreement.

The input of the Council surely must be funding related for Hornets or even both parties. We know that the Hornets rent is minimal and that they don't contribute to the costs of running the ground, whereas we run at a significant loss each season.

Mazey also said in his Christmas message Hornets were looking for investment:
I have said on many occasions we are always looking for new people who can add value and put in the time and effort to help improve the club. I would urge anyone who may feel they are in a position to help in taking this club forward to get in touch with myself or Steve Kerr. It is not a closed shop and the door is always open and shareholding can be made available to new investors wanting to buy in.

I guess if you are the council and you have seen what happened at bury and Oldham with ground disputes and then watched what happened to us with Bottomley / Morton House and losing the ground to an asset stripping investor as nearly happened in 2021 would be the end for both clubs. Hornets definitely have the best home ground in their league.

I'd assume Hornets might like improved lease terms and in return more money will flow into the football club. We RAFC paid the council £629,000 for shares in 2016 and that mortgage was repaid last year.

Morton House nearly bought the club and ground for just over £1.2m so the land is clearly valuable for an asset stripper.

Its good to see that everyone is talking collaboratively and ultimately if there are future changes it looks like there will have to be an EGM for RAFC shareholders to consider and approve any proposals so we would all get to see the Hornets/Council thinking and vote on it.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Hornets on Sunday on 23:21 - Feb 9 with 2061 views442Dale

Hornets on Sunday on 23:13 - Feb 9 by RAFCBLUE

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/february/dalehornetscouncilmeeting_jan23

The purpose of the meeting was to explore and discuss certain possible future operational changes to the 2016 Lease, which was put in place by both parties in March 2016 when the football club legally acquired the freehold of the ground outright.

We know that there was a very public difference of views in 2021/2022 just after the former CEO left and around the Fiji game which both clubs seemingly seem to want to put behind them.

Mazey has been a bit more conciliatory on Twitter in recent months which is probably down to a realisation that the future growth and success of Hornets is linked to the future growth and success of the football club. Even to the point in his Christmas message where he said:

https://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/1191/christmas-message-from-chairma

I have spoken regularly throughout the year about the challenges the club has faced. We will continue to face these challenges and meet them head on with your support, however, it is Christmas so I won’t go over old ground and our focus is absolutely on an exciting 2023.

The lease in 2016 was put in place by the then boards of both clubs and agreed by Rochdale Council and I think I am right to say there is now no common individual at either the football or rugby club that was involved in 2016.

At the time, the terms of the lease were not disclosed publicly but the lease to Rochdale Hornets looked to be part of the sale deal the Council wanted if they were to sell their shares:

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2016/march/rochdale-football-club-secure-full

Rochdale Council are to relinquish its shares in the company that owns and manages Spotland Stadium so that the long-term future of the sporting facility can be secured.

The council became one of three shareholders in the company when it was set up in 1991 to safeguard the stadium, which is used by Rochdale’s professional football and rugby league clubs.

The shares will transfer to Rochdale AFC and the council will recover the original outlay of £100,000.

Loans of £529,000 the stadium company has with the council will be consolidated and repaid over nine years at commercial rates, which will help keep professional sport in the borough and reduce exposure to future risk for the council.

Rochdale Hornets Rugby League Football Club have signed a new long-term lease as part of the agreement.

The input of the Council surely must be funding related for Hornets or even both parties. We know that the Hornets rent is minimal and that they don't contribute to the costs of running the ground, whereas we run at a significant loss each season.

I have said on many occasions we are always looking for new people who can add value and put in the time and effort to help improve the club. I would urge anyone who may feel they are in a position to help in taking this club forward to get in touch with myself or Steve Kerr. It is not a closed shop and the door is always open and shareholding can be made available to new investors wanting to buy in.

I guess if you are the council and you have seen what happened at bury and Oldham with ground disputes and then watched what happened to us with Bottomley / Morton House and losing the ground to an asset stripping investor as nearly happened in 2021 would be the end for both clubs. Hornets definitely have the best home ground in their league.

I'd assume Hornets might like improved lease terms and in return more money will flow into the football club. We RAFC paid the council £629,000 for shares in 2016 and that mortgage was repaid last year.

Morton House nearly bought the club and ground for just over £1.2m so the land is clearly valuable for an asset stripper.

Its good to see that everyone is talking collaboratively and ultimately if there are future changes it looks like there will have to be an EGM for RAFC shareholders to consider and approve any proposals so we would all get to see the Hornets/Council thinking and vote on it.

As long as any vote at an EGM is clear about possible changes occurring over the next, say, six weeks.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Hornets on Sunday on 23:25 - Feb 9 with 2055 viewsD_Alien

Hornets on Sunday on 23:13 - Feb 9 by RAFCBLUE

It's also worth noting that the articles that were put in place by a former director to prevent the sale of the ground unless voted for by 75% of shareholdings is still something that could be put at risk should a new owner acquire more than 50% of the shares

This was put forward at tonight's forum. If the 60% of shares NOT held by fans who aren't members of the BoD were to be sold, there would be nothing to stop someone acquiring that shareholding and then issuing new shares which would in theory mean they could achieve the 75% threshold. If i've got this wrong, could someone please reinterpret what came across at the forum

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Hornets on Sunday on 23:27 - Feb 9 with 2043 viewsRAFCBLUE

Hornets on Sunday on 23:21 - Feb 9 by 442Dale

As long as any vote at an EGM is clear about possible changes occurring over the next, say, six weeks.

We know that EGM's have to be advertised, with notice given a few weeks ahead of any meeting so if one is requested to happen it will have to be publicised.

I didn't read that article thinking there would be any immediate changes but that parties were talking openly about possibilities.

I did see too that Rochdale Mayfield were getting some coverage in the Challenge Cup which will be great for them, albeit a long journey to Cornwall.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/challenge-cup-second-round-bbc/

Hornets on Sunday on 23:28 - Feb 9 with 2040 views442Dale

Hornets on Sunday on 23:25 - Feb 9 by D_Alien

It's also worth noting that the articles that were put in place by a former director to prevent the sale of the ground unless voted for by 75% of shareholdings is still something that could be put at risk should a new owner acquire more than 50% of the shares

This was put forward at tonight's forum. If the 60% of shares NOT held by fans who aren't members of the BoD were to be sold, there would be nothing to stop someone acquiring that shareholding and then issuing new shares which would in theory mean they could achieve the 75% threshold. If i've got this wrong, could someone please reinterpret what came across at the forum

That does indeed need specifically clarifying.

I’m sure someone good with figures and the details of such situations will do so.

Hornets on Sunday on 23:32 - Feb 9 with 2025 views442Dale

Hornets on Sunday on 23:27 - Feb 9 by RAFCBLUE

We know that EGM's have to be advertised, with notice given a few weeks ahead of any meeting so if one is requested to happen it will have to be publicised.

I didn't read that article thinking there would be any immediate changes but that parties were talking openly about possibilities.

I did see too that Rochdale Mayfield were getting some coverage in the Challenge Cup which will be great for them, albeit a long journey to Cornwall.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/challenge-cup-second-round-bbc/

Thanks.

It was more around being aware of what exactly shareholders were voting for with clear communication around that vote. As mentioned tonight at the forum.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024