Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 27956 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 09:15 - Nov 13 with 2795 viewsbosh67

Dykes on 09:08 - Nov 13 by hook_hoops

I entirely agree with this Nix. I watched the Scotland game last night and Dykes was superb. He ran into the channels and Scotland got the ball to him quickly and he had the physicality to hold the ball up well and wait for support. It was textbook for the lone striker role. At QPR we don't get the ball to him as quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating route one football, but sometimes a quicker ball forward from midfield works wonders and would play to Dykes' strengths.

I agree. Dykes is quick. Quicker than we think. He runs the channels so well and thrives on moving forward as well as being a target man. If he has a player up with him and we get the ball to him much quicker we will score more goals.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dykes on 09:18 - Nov 13 with 2787 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 05:43 - Nov 13 by nix

The difference is in my view that he had more space to run into and balls to make a run for. We've been moving the ball too slowly in my view which means that our penalty area is very crowded by the time it reaches him. There's no spaces to run into and there's several players there marking him from a standing start, so much easier to block him off.

I'd like to see the defenders having to run back towards their goal. It's something that other teams do to us much more than we do to them. I don't mean hoofing the ball from the back necessarily but moving it faster through midfield to put some pressure on their back line. Defenders hate running back to their own penalty area.

Great spot Nix. I've been trying to work out how he has so much more space to move about in when playing for Scotland. I think you've got it exactly right. He seemed to create more space for others as well.
Dykes on 09:18 - Nov 13 with 2787 viewsnix

Dykes on 09:08 - Nov 13 by hook_hoops

I entirely agree with this Nix. I watched the Scotland game last night and Dykes was superb. He ran into the channels and Scotland got the ball to him quickly and he had the physicality to hold the ball up well and wait for support. It was textbook for the lone striker role. At QPR we don't get the ball to him as quickly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating route one football, but sometimes a quicker ball forward from midfield works wonders and would play to Dykes' strengths.

Exactly Hook. Definitely not route 1 but just feeding it quicker from midfield rather than taking the extra touch, turning into the middle of the pitch for support etc. We were moving the ball quicker last season but maybe with losing Ebs they've either lost the confidence or just lost someone who'll drive it forward a bit. It's early days in the season, so not a big criticism but I'd just like them to try it a bit more.
Dykes on 09:23 - Nov 13 with 2752 viewsNorthernr

Am I being unkind/unfair to say Dykes looks a lot more proactive, physical, making things happen, dare I say happy, playing for Scotland than he does for us? I want to see him rougharsing defenders like that in our colours. Charging about, making stuff happen. Only really seen it in flashes for us so far, against Cardiff and Derby.
Dykes on 09:39 - Nov 13 with 2660 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 09:23 - Nov 13 by Northernr

Am I being unkind/unfair to say Dykes looks a lot more proactive, physical, making things happen, dare I say happy, playing for Scotland than he does for us? I want to see him rougharsing defenders like that in our colours. Charging about, making stuff happen. Only really seen it in flashes for us so far, against Cardiff and Derby.

I think that is a fair point. As you know he won the first of his six caps, just after signing for us. He had already played the full 90 three times for Livingston and has played the full 90 in seven of the nine he has played for us.

So that's 18 appearances, and an injury that kept him out of two. A lot of football. He played a total of 33 last season. He is also playing at a higher level and I think he is adapting to this and searching for some consistency. He also played in our two pre season friendlies.

The difference between the Scotland matches and ours is probably that they are massive games for both him and the nation. He has managed to raise his game for these occasions and may also be helped by players around him who have played big games more often.

I imagine he will find it difficult coming down from the high of last night. I hope they win without him on Sunday and that they give him a break from the third fixture, so that he may come back to us in better shape than last time.
[Post edited 13 Nov 2020 10:59]
Dykes on 09:44 - Nov 13 with 2631 viewshook_hoops

I don't think it's fair to lay the blame at Dykes' door. It's just that Scotland use him in a different way to the way we do and there is no question Scotland's way of playing get's the best out of him and he knows it. The more I see him playing for Scotland the more I think we have an absolute diamond on our hands and perhaps we should find a way of exploiting that better.
Dykes on 10:19 - Nov 13 with 2536 viewsgazza1

Didn't see the game Norf, watched the golf instead (shocking) so cant really comment. I presume, by your comments, he put himself about more than he does when he put a hooped shirt on - but that has not been my criticism of him.

He hasn't been great for us yet apart from the penalties, that's for sure!!
Dykes on 10:38 - Nov 13 with 2483 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 10:19 - Nov 13 by gazza1

Didn't see the game Norf, watched the golf instead (shocking) so cant really comment. I presume, by your comments, he put himself about more than he does when he put a hooped shirt on - but that has not been my criticism of him.

He hasn't been great for us yet apart from the penalties, that's for sure!!

Only saw the tail end last night as I had the rugby league on (also shocking) but by all accounts, and from what I saqw of the previous Scotland games, he really does play well for them, charging around all over the place and roughing the defenders up. I appreciate what people are saying about us not servicing him well, and him being isolated, but Scotland are hardly flooding forward in droves and creating a glut of chances. He just seems a bit more passive for us so far.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 10:44 - Nov 13 with 2457 viewsMrSheen

Washington? Tore around like a demon in a Green shirt, seemed totally lost in hoops. Perhaps they play international football like it could be their last game, rather than just one of 46.
Dykes on 10:59 - Nov 13 with 2403 viewsPhildo

Dykes on 11:43 - Nov 13 with 2301 viewsMalintabuk

Didn't manage to see the Scotland game but have read the reviews and it seems the concensus that he plays better for them than us
If that is the case and it seems that again the views are we are more measured in our approach and not so direct... then the guestion maybe why did we buy him?
It would seem he is a different beast with Scotland. So is Warbs going to rethink his footballing ethos?
It may be that the Championship is a harder ask than the games Scotland have been playing...... what ever the answer it is not looking good for us
[Post edited 13 Nov 2020 11:44]
Dykes on 11:57 - Nov 13 with 2260 viewsWatford_Ranger

If I was him I’d be more up for it playing for Scotland than QPR but we’re basing this on a tiny sample of games. Think he’s got a lot about him and will improve over time. He’s got a big target of being the starting striker for the Euros now which is no bad thing for us.
Dykes on 12:04 - Nov 13 with 2227 viewsPhildo

I think their midfield set up suits him better. Him doing so well for them has to be good for us though.
Dykes on 12:34 - Nov 13 with 2160 viewsManinBlack

Perhaps we have to give the manager Steve Clarke some credit for the way Dykes and Scotland are performing.

If you look at his couple of seasons in his previous job at Kilmarnock where he transformed them. He joined when they were bottom of the SPL and they finished 5th. The following season they finished third and qualified for Europe and I believe this was achieved by spending nothing in transfer fees.

To demonstrate what a good job Clarke did, in 9 games against the Old Firm, Killie only lost twice. In six of those matches Killie fell behind yet came back to win three and draw three. Very few clubs ever get back into a game once the Old Firm go in front. Presumably this is what got Clarke noticed by the SFA as it seems he has the ability to motivate average players to compete against better teams.

It might just be that Clarke can motivate Dykes in the same way Warnock did with Taarabt.
Dykes on 12:39 - Nov 13 with 2146 viewsRangersw12

Dykes on 10:38 - Nov 13 by Northernr

Only saw the tail end last night as I had the rugby league on (also shocking) but by all accounts, and from what I saqw of the previous Scotland games, he really does play well for them, charging around all over the place and roughing the defenders up. I appreciate what people are saying about us not servicing him well, and him being isolated, but Scotland are hardly flooding forward in droves and creating a glut of chances. He just seems a bit more passive for us so far.

I watched the whole game and I think one of the differences was that Scotland had runners beyond him picking up on any flicks and knockdowns

We seem to just put it into his feet or chest with minimal movement and runners
Dykes on 12:43 - Nov 13 with 2131 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 12:04 - Nov 13 by Phildo

I think their midfield set up suits him better. Him doing so well for them has to be good for us though.

Dykes has a very creative midfield and wingbacks playing behind him for Scotland -
McGinn, McGregor, Christie, McTominay are all very good passers and very mobile, add to those Robertson, Fraser etc on the flanks,

Expectations for them are he plays the target man / lone striker role creating opportunities for others as he did excellently last night, especially his movement pulling the Centre Half away from the centre of the penalty area and creating space for Christie,

Expectations for us are he does all the above and scores, despite havin a midfield that moves the ball slowly and a team that tends to play narrow without a natural left-winger - I remain optimistic he'll prove a very good Championship level player.
Dykes on 12:50 - Nov 13 with 2116 viewsTacticalR

Great bit of football from Dykes in the Serbia game the way he lays on that chance for Robertson. At least we know what he's got in his locker.

Air hostess clique

Dykes on 13:30 - Nov 13 with 2012 viewsR_from_afar

Dykes on 12:50 - Nov 13 by TacticalR

Great bit of football from Dykes in the Serbia game the way he lays on that chance for Robertson. At least we know what he's got in his locker.

Good point, that was a really intelligent bit of play by him. He could've tried a shot but from the angle he was at, it was potentially a waste. Instead, he drew three defenders to him and then coolly played Robertson in with a perfect square pass. Great to see from a QPR player.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Dykes on 14:19 - Nov 13 with 1945 viewsnix

Dykes on 13:30 - Nov 13 by R_from_afar

Good point, that was a really intelligent bit of play by him. He could've tried a shot but from the angle he was at, it was potentially a waste. Instead, he drew three defenders to him and then coolly played Robertson in with a perfect square pass. Great to see from a QPR player.

I agree with you both. That was an excellent bit of play created by him and Robertson really should have scored.
Dykes on 14:20 - Nov 13 with 1942 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 11:43 - Nov 13 by Malintabuk

Didn't manage to see the Scotland game but have read the reviews and it seems the concensus that he plays better for them than us
If that is the case and it seems that again the views are we are more measured in our approach and not so direct... then the guestion maybe why did we buy him?
It would seem he is a different beast with Scotland. So is Warbs going to rethink his footballing ethos?
It may be that the Championship is a harder ask than the games Scotland have been playing...... what ever the answer it is not looking good for us
[Post edited 13 Nov 2020 11:44]

Have a bit of patience mate. He has play NINE games for us and has three goals (yes all pens) and at least one assist.

He has never played in the Championship and is having to adapt to that and a team that in turn is having to adapt to losing Eze.

In total he has played 20 games already this season, whereas last season he played 33 in all.

On top of that he is new to international football and is probably raising his game for that and finding the Championship is a bit of a grind.

Even if he doesn't end up being a good fit for us, he must be worth several times what we paid for him already.
Dykes on 15:28 - Nov 13 with 1850 viewslondonscottish

Dykes on 12:39 - Nov 13 by Rangersw12

I watched the whole game and I think one of the differences was that Scotland had runners beyond him picking up on any flicks and knockdowns

We seem to just put it into his feet or chest with minimal movement and runners

In the last game, Dyles had Ryan Fraser running off him and they were a dangerous combo.

I was worried about Fraser's absence yesterday but Christie played a very similar role.

Clarke's game plan seems very like Warburton's in one respect; it's all about the speed of transition and getting the overloads. For 80 of the first 90 minutes, Serbia were (almost lierally) on the back foot.

The main difference in the execution is that 9 times out of 10 Marshall played a long ball out from the back and Dykes was able to run at 3 defenders knowing that he had three or more runners bombing up alongside him. If he was on halfway line to receive it, 9 times out 10 he'd flick it ahead to those running on ahead. In Rangers he's usually playing a more static role, further up and more isolated.

Of course, the other difference may be the quality of the players in the current Scotland squad. McTominay, McGinn, Robertson, Tiernay & Cooper are all prem, the rest of them are mainly Old Firm or in decent Championship squads. He finds himself in the in the best squad for 2 decades.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Dykes on 15:36 - Nov 13 with 1823 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 10:59 - Nov 13 by Phildo

Dykes on 16:46 - Nov 13 with 1730 viewsderbyhoop

Read the BBC report and they contrasted McBurnie, who replaced QPR striker, ambling about against Dykes bullying defenders.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 17:54 - Nov 13 with 1654 viewsbakerloo8

Absolutely Buzzing for Dykes and the Jocks too, they deserve a bit of joy after all these years.

Whatever happens from here, having Dykes profile raised as it has been and him playing so well for Scotland can only be good for us.
I wonder if someone like Celtic dont look at him and think hes worth £10m in January?
Dykes on 18:05 - Nov 13 with 1631 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 16:46 - Nov 13 by derbyhoop

Read the BBC report and they contrasted McBurnie, who replaced QPR striker, ambling about against Dykes bullying defenders.

The money paid for McBurnie is up there with the money paid for Gary Madine (now Blackpool) for just how mental the transfer market for strikers has gone. If Dykes could get 15 goals for us this season we'd probably get north of £8m for him in our sleep.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024