Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 27958 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 08:52 - Nov 6 with 1724 viewsMyke

Dykes on 23:47 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Good points. Agreed.

I can't help thinking that Hugill and Wells improved during their stay with us and I think Dykes and Bonne will too. I believe that the forwards get quite a bit of one-on-one coaching including sometimes from Ferdinand himself.

Ferdinand, of course, was raw as hell when he landed with us. I used to watch training and reserve games and you could see him improve month on month, putting into games what he was learning in training. Of course, Ferdinand was stitching training onto an extraordinary talent, but there's no reason why all of our strikers can't improve at the same rate even if they never reach the same heights.

One drill that Ferdinand used to do with the coaches was simple - dummy run to shake the contact, attack the ball, lay it off, spin and turn and then either get it over the top or two passes later from the wings - crucially facing the goal.

At the moment what I'm seeing is Dykes getting the ball with a man on his back so being bumped while trying to lay off which makes the contact unclean. Also he's not yet spinning to break the line and get us in behind with an OTT pass or a wing pass.

It'll come.

That's a great analysis Brian and details what I meant by being 'cuter'. Every strikers target (and every defenders nightmare) if to be facing the goal. He was scoring lots of goals for Livingston ( who didn't score too many overall) from a few yards out. I'm sure that'll come for us too
Dykes on 09:21 - Nov 6 with 1692 viewsnix

Dykes on 19:09 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

At this current rate, he is scoring (penalties or otherwise) 1 goal every 3.5 games and arguably 1 assist. I can’t wait to see him score more from open play, but that’s football.

2 goals and 1 assist for a team that has only scored 10 goals isn’t terrible.

What’s the alternative? All very well and good criticising but Alfa is the only other solution. I don’t think it wise possibly wasting 8 games seeing if he’ll be as productive.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 19:11]

I'm with you Bazz. Good to see you back btw. He's only played 8 out of 10 matches, and we've been poor for a number of these. He's looked a bit knackered as well since coming back from Scotland duty, plus we haven't been moving the ball that quickly so he's had to use his strength often in a static position rather than moving towards the ball, unlike when he plays for Scotland.

Also I think we were a bit spoilt with last year's goalfest. In the last twenty years our top scorer has scored 10 or fewer eight times in the Championship. Only two seasons ago, Freeman was top scorer with eight! Only six times has anyone got 15 or more goals in a season, and two of those were that Charlie frigging Austin freak, and one was Adel Taarabt!

Anything over ten goals a season would be good for us, particularly given his overall contribution to the team in hold up play, tracking back etc. If we have a few runs he could well do this.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 9:22]
Dykes on 09:28 - Nov 6 with 1677 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 08:14 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Your expectations are very low.......he has played below average. Work rate and attitude are 'givens' as far as i am concerned - 100% every match, all the time.

He needs to be playing a lot better and scoring goals in open play before January!!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 8:16]

Or else what? Do we drop him?
Dykes on 09:32 - Nov 6 with 1666 viewskernowhoop

Do not under estimate the way in which Dykes can disrupt defences, whether he scores or not. When he has a reputation for that, opposition teams will have to defend accordingly. When he has a couple more goals - it doesn't matter, they can come from deflections off his ear or they bounce off his back end - that will further occupy the thoughts of opposition managers and defences. Give him time.
Dykes on 09:33 - Nov 6 with 1665 viewsmarkqpr

I think he's played a lot of football this year, especially recently and seems to be settling well, despite the forward line chopping and changing throughout the season so far for various reasons.

I'd like to see him with a settled partner, Bonne looks decent as does Willock but both again need to settle into a new side and not knowing which one to pick regularly next to him doesn't help matters. One of those 'good' problems manager's say they like to have I guess, but needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Having Adomah and hopefully soon Thomas back gives us further options as well.

Once they all settle and we have a regular front two, Dykes is looking like a 12+ goals a season striker at the minimum.
Dykes on 09:35 - Nov 6 with 1654 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 09:21 - Nov 6 by nix

I'm with you Bazz. Good to see you back btw. He's only played 8 out of 10 matches, and we've been poor for a number of these. He's looked a bit knackered as well since coming back from Scotland duty, plus we haven't been moving the ball that quickly so he's had to use his strength often in a static position rather than moving towards the ball, unlike when he plays for Scotland.

Also I think we were a bit spoilt with last year's goalfest. In the last twenty years our top scorer has scored 10 or fewer eight times in the Championship. Only two seasons ago, Freeman was top scorer with eight! Only six times has anyone got 15 or more goals in a season, and two of those were that Charlie frigging Austin freak, and one was Adel Taarabt!

Anything over ten goals a season would be good for us, particularly given his overall contribution to the team in hold up play, tracking back etc. If we have a few runs he could well do this.

Most of this is irrelevant, we are talking now, not last season or bygone seasons, not talking Freeman or Hugill, etc, etc - he is here to score goals and he has not scored in 'open play'. Two from penalties which, as I say, I would fancy my chances of scoring.

He is doing OK.....but within the next month he needs to improve otherwise he will find that he will be keeping the bench warm and his No1 rank will be No2.
Dykes on 09:37 - Nov 6 with 1644 viewsMyke

Dykes on 09:21 - Nov 6 by nix

I agree Nix, like I said earlier in this thread, if our three main goal scorers can contribute 10 goals each, if everyone else can weigh in with 15 (we already have strikes from Barbet, Kane and Ball) and if we can reduce our 'goals against' column by up to 20 goals, we will be fine. Lots of 'ifs' there I know, but all achievable imo.
Dykes on 09:39 - Nov 6 with 1635 views2Thomas2Bowles

Dykes on 11:11 - Nov 5 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Another Washington

Only 17 down votes... I must be slipping

Strange when so many say, too early to tell, give him some time, not getting the service.

Same was said about Washington.

We'll see.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 09:46 - Nov 6 with 1621 viewsnix

Dykes on 09:35 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Most of this is irrelevant, we are talking now, not last season or bygone seasons, not talking Freeman or Hugill, etc, etc - he is here to score goals and he has not scored in 'open play'. Two from penalties which, as I say, I would fancy my chances of scoring.

He is doing OK.....but within the next month he needs to improve otherwise he will find that he will be keeping the bench warm and his No1 rank will be No2.

I think it's relevant in terms of realistic expectations.

It's also context. I would say the whole team needed to improve. We were poor for many of those games, not creating enough clear cut chances and not moving the ball quickly enough.

I doubt if he'll be warming the bench but he may have to share it with Bonne. It's not a bad thing to have two competing forwards. It just seems very early days to judge him at all given the new players we've had to bed in and the lack of time on the training pitch.

Some of the pressure has come off because we're capable of scoring goals from midfield and even defence. I also agree with PP that his game is not just about goals, it's about disrupting the defence and creating space for others.
Dykes on 09:49 - Nov 6 with 1610 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 09:39 - Nov 6 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Only 17 down votes... I must be slipping

Strange when so many say, too early to tell, give him some time, not getting the service.

Same was said about Washington.

We'll see.

Fancy a wager 2T2B ?

I say he scores more than 1 in 4.

If I win I get editing rights to your posts for a month?

If you win you get editing rights to my posts for a month?
Dykes on 09:52 - Nov 6 with 1595 viewsnix

Dykes on 09:49 - Nov 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fancy a wager 2T2B ?

Oh I so hope this happens 🤣
Dykes on 09:57 - Nov 6 with 1584 viewssoops

Might not be remembering very well without checking but it felt like (whilst they were both with us) we started an even-ish number of games with Hugill or Wells or both of them. I guess that’s what Warbs has in mind this season to keep Dykes and Bonne from being over-worked (international duty aside) and dependent on the opposition.
Dykes on 10:00 - Nov 6 with 1578 viewsW7Ranger

Dykes on 09:46 - Nov 6 by nix

I think it's relevant in terms of realistic expectations.

It's also context. I would say the whole team needed to improve. We were poor for many of those games, not creating enough clear cut chances and not moving the ball quickly enough.

I doubt if he'll be warming the bench but he may have to share it with Bonne. It's not a bad thing to have two competing forwards. It just seems very early days to judge him at all given the new players we've had to bed in and the lack of time on the training pitch.

Some of the pressure has come off because we're capable of scoring goals from midfield and even defence. I also agree with PP that his game is not just about goals, it's about disrupting the defence and creating space for others.

This. +1

You wouldn't think we've just come off the back of 2 good (and much needed) wins!
He's had very few goal scoring opportunities so far, so hard to judge how prolific/wasteful he is after just 8 games! Yes he had a good chance v Derby, but he done everything right, headed it down, back across goal, on target - but the keeper saved it. C'est la vie!

Dykes has also scored 2 for Scotland (in open play) and I think also has an assist. Not forgetting his presence in our box defending set pieces. So I'd say overall his he's had more of a positive impact on the team than not.

Personally, I think he'll be an important player for us this season, and will be an asset. I like him.

EDIT: Please god let's NOT make him the season's scapegoat/boo boy already!!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 12:25]
Dykes on 10:09 - Nov 6 with 1547 views2Thomas2Bowles

Dykes on 09:49 - Nov 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fancy a wager 2T2B ?

Nah, I'd never want to edit your posts, that's what Commies would like to do
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 10:11]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Dykes on 10:11 - Nov 6 with 1546 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 10:09 - Nov 6 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Nah, I'd never want to edit your posts, that's what Commies would like to do
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 10:11]

🐓
Dykes on 10:45 - Nov 6 with 1494 viewsrobith

Good to see the bar for completely dismissing a player is 668 minutes of football
Dykes on 13:02 - Nov 6 with 1401 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 10:00 - Nov 6 by W7Ranger

This. +1

You wouldn't think we've just come off the back of 2 good (and much needed) wins!
He's had very few goal scoring opportunities so far, so hard to judge how prolific/wasteful he is after just 8 games! Yes he had a good chance v Derby, but he done everything right, headed it down, back across goal, on target - but the keeper saved it. C'est la vie!

Dykes has also scored 2 for Scotland (in open play) and I think also has an assist. Not forgetting his presence in our box defending set pieces. So I'd say overall his he's had more of a positive impact on the team than not.

Personally, I think he'll be an important player for us this season, and will be an asset. I like him.

EDIT: Please god let's NOT make him the season's scapegoat/boo boy already!!
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 12:25]

Nobody is making him a scape goal or a boo boy.........I am just saying that he is not doing as well as I expected and I fully understand it's early days. I expect better though.
Dykes on 13:04 - Nov 6 with 1395 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 10:45 - Nov 6 by robith

Good to see the bar for completely dismissing a player is 668 minutes of football

'Completely Dismissing' is a bit OTT.....haven't seen anyone on this thread doing that!!
Dykes on 13:06 - Nov 6 with 1390 viewsW7Ranger

Dykes on 13:02 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Nobody is making him a scape goal or a boo boy.........I am just saying that he is not doing as well as I expected and I fully understand it's early days. I expect better though.

How many goal scoring chances has he had/missed ?
Dykes on 13:13 - Nov 6 with 1368 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 13:04 - Nov 6 by gazza1

'Completely Dismissing' is a bit OTT.....haven't seen anyone on this thread doing that!!

Calling him another Connor Washington is as good as 😂
Dykes on 13:13 - Nov 6 with 1364 viewstimcocking

Hmmm, so far he's looked game, but yet to show too much ability wise really. Early days, of course, but i'd call it a slow start. Albeit it's still a developing team, plenty of mitigating factors we could go into. I don't think anybody could argue he's looked better than Jordan Hugil thus far.

Ideally, at this level, we're looking for somebody as close as possible to Heidar Helguson. Not as of yet. Again, ideally, you're looking for your centre forward to have more shots than haircuts. At least that issue should be resolved for a while.

Cheering him on and the jury is still out. Matt Smith to beat, or it's an ultimately unsuccessful signing.

Kane and Hamalainen both played really well as far as i could see.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:19]
Dykes on 13:32 - Nov 6 with 1335 viewsgazza1

Dykes on 13:06 - Nov 6 by W7Ranger

How many goal scoring chances has he had/missed ?

Dunno!! Missed a sitter at Derby.
[Post edited 6 Nov 2020 13:33]
Dykes on 13:35 - Nov 6 with 1322 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 13:32 - Nov 6 by gazza1

Christ if that was a sitter what were some of Hugill's misses?
Dykes on 13:36 - Nov 6 with 1321 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Genuine question, what is a reasonable return in terms of goals and assists for you?
Dykes on 13:38 - Nov 6 with 1312 viewsW7Ranger

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024