Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 10:13 - Nov 5 with 28881 viewsBuckR

How are we rating our new No.9 so far then? Lack of goals so far but have to say I love his work up top. So does that out weigh the dry spell?
Dykes on 14:16 - Dec 17 with 2149 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 14:10 - Dec 17 by PinnerPaul

Talking of stats, here's a couple for you and others to ponder, Source UEFA, via the Racing Post last Saturday.

Based on : Champions League last 3 seasons

Only 1 in 62 crosses result in a goal, Only 1 in 92 corners result in a goal.

Maybe why all those professional coaches favour short corners and prefer to play through the middle for goals?

Just a thought that if the multi millions rated and paid CL strikers are only scoring at that rate (yes against better defenders) then what chance has poor old Lyndon got?!

Very interesting but I bet those figures are skewed if that criteria is applied to the British teams and even more so if you used them for the British leagues.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 14:17]
Dykes on 14:18 - Dec 17 with 2141 viewsMyke

Dykes on 14:10 - Dec 17 by PinnerPaul

Talking of stats, here's a couple for you and others to ponder, Source UEFA, via the Racing Post last Saturday.

Based on : Champions League last 3 seasons

Only 1 in 62 crosses result in a goal, Only 1 in 92 corners result in a goal.

Maybe why all those professional coaches favour short corners and prefer to play through the middle for goals?

Just a thought that if the multi millions rated and paid CL strikers are only scoring at that rate (yes against better defenders) then what chance has poor old Lyndon got?!

I remember reading about the amount of goals scored from set pieces and the lower down the divisions you go the higher the percentage. I guess that makes sense when you have lesser quality players in terms of creativity, concentration etc.
But whatever the stats, when you are 0-0 in injury time and you get a set piece, why would you not sling it into the box? I'm not saying bring up the keeper or anything, but throw a few big bodies in the box, sling it in and see what happens. I admire Warburton's philosophy and it's great to have a clear identity when playing, but the best managers will tell you that it's okay to occasionally abandon your principles in a low risk situation. Indeed, probably less risky than a short pass straight to the opposition!
Dykes on 14:20 - Dec 17 with 2131 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes on 14:16 - Dec 17 by francisbowles

Very interesting but I bet those figures are skewed if that criteria is applied to the British teams and even more so if you used them for the British leagues.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 14:17]

Yep, you're probably right there. Also goals are obviously scored somehow, maybe as the Racing Post reporter said, it just shows that football is a game of fine margins.

On the corners, not sure if they still do, but both Barcelona and Spain used to play nearly EVERY corner short.
Dykes on 14:24 - Dec 17 with 2125 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 14:20 - Dec 17 by PinnerPaul

Yep, you're probably right there. Also goals are obviously scored somehow, maybe as the Racing Post reporter said, it just shows that football is a game of fine margins.

On the corners, not sure if they still do, but both Barcelona and Spain used to play nearly EVERY corner short.

Yes, I've always been more positive than most about short corners. It should draw two defenders out of the box for starters, whilst you only have one less in there.
Dykes on 16:45 - Dec 17 with 2024 viewsMatch82

Dykes on 16:34 - Dec 16 by qprd

I'm not willing to write off Dykes, as it is incredibly early, but the stats don't lie.

If you exclude the penalties he's taken, he's averaging less shots per game than Rob Dickie. Forget a guy like Ivan Toney who is scoring once a match. Dykes is averaging basically one good goal scoring chance every two matches. that is incredibly poor for a striker.

Fans get pissed when players shoot and miss, but what I find troubling is that Dykes is literally incapable of finding/creating shots. He seems totally clueless.

The service point is not a great excuse. And lets be honest, the 3 behind the striker are all pretty good and creative. He can have much worse supply lines. But even if I accept the service point, there are more ways to score than having the ball delivered to you in the box via crosses, flick ons, etc. He can score on corners and set pieces, create his own chances, run at defenders, score on rebounds/deflections/other poachers goals. After 16 games, you'd have expected more than 8-10 good goal scoring chances from your striker (excl penalties)

He just seems totally lost out there and always in the wrong place, and because Warburton is an incredibly stubborn man, he isnt seeing what is pretty blatantly obvious. Dykes will become Conor Washington if he is not given a game to rest and recover, and get away.

I dont think Wycombe is the match to drop him b/c we'll need his physicality, but Warbs either needs to rest him or play him with another striker to reduce the burden

separately, dykes back to the goal game and work rate are really good, so idont want to slate him too much
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 16:35]

I'd argue that while we have incredibly creative players in midfield they are primarily creating for themselves which is our biggest problem.
Dykes on 18:33 - Dec 17 with 1938 viewsozexile

Dykes on 14:24 - Dec 17 by francisbowles

Yes, I've always been more positive than most about short corners. It should draw two defenders out of the box for starters, whilst you only have one less in there.

I don't think any football fan has a problem with a short corner. It's just our short corners rarely even result in us crossing it in. It ends up back in midfield.
Dykes on 02:53 - Dec 18 with 1798 viewstimcocking

Dykes on 14:18 - Dec 17 by Myke

I remember reading about the amount of goals scored from set pieces and the lower down the divisions you go the higher the percentage. I guess that makes sense when you have lesser quality players in terms of creativity, concentration etc.
But whatever the stats, when you are 0-0 in injury time and you get a set piece, why would you not sling it into the box? I'm not saying bring up the keeper or anything, but throw a few big bodies in the box, sling it in and see what happens. I admire Warburton's philosophy and it's great to have a clear identity when playing, but the best managers will tell you that it's okay to occasionally abandon your principles in a low risk situation. Indeed, probably less risky than a short pass straight to the opposition!

Indeed, stating the obvious Myke.
Dykes on 02:55 - Dec 18 with 1797 viewstimcocking

Dykes on 16:34 - Dec 16 by qprd

I'm not willing to write off Dykes, as it is incredibly early, but the stats don't lie.

If you exclude the penalties he's taken, he's averaging less shots per game than Rob Dickie. Forget a guy like Ivan Toney who is scoring once a match. Dykes is averaging basically one good goal scoring chance every two matches. that is incredibly poor for a striker.

Fans get pissed when players shoot and miss, but what I find troubling is that Dykes is literally incapable of finding/creating shots. He seems totally clueless.

The service point is not a great excuse. And lets be honest, the 3 behind the striker are all pretty good and creative. He can have much worse supply lines. But even if I accept the service point, there are more ways to score than having the ball delivered to you in the box via crosses, flick ons, etc. He can score on corners and set pieces, create his own chances, run at defenders, score on rebounds/deflections/other poachers goals. After 16 games, you'd have expected more than 8-10 good goal scoring chances from your striker (excl penalties)

He just seems totally lost out there and always in the wrong place, and because Warburton is an incredibly stubborn man, he isnt seeing what is pretty blatantly obvious. Dykes will become Conor Washington if he is not given a game to rest and recover, and get away.

I dont think Wycombe is the match to drop him b/c we'll need his physicality, but Warbs either needs to rest him or play him with another striker to reduce the burden

separately, dykes back to the goal game and work rate are really good, so idont want to slate him too much
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 16:35]

This is a very good post.
Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 08:55 - Dec 18 with 1718 viewsqprd

Dykes on 16:45 - Dec 17 by Match82

I'd argue that while we have incredibly creative players in midfield they are primarily creating for themselves which is our biggest problem.

This is a good point, I agree

Chair in particular has rly changed his style of playLast year he was more of a link up player. This year, he is rly looking to cut onto his right and shoot.... he’s shooting a lot from distance recently , which I don’t rly recall him doing last year (which he did at Stevenage)

Is he linking up less bc he’s looking to score more or bc dykes just doesn’t link up as well? Not sure

I also think bright has been more selfish this year shooting when maybe he should be passsjng.... but again, is this bc dykes is making the wrong runs/not making himself available ? Also not sure
Dykes on 09:31 - Dec 18 with 1666 viewsStanFan

Chair is linking up less because Eze has gone. He is now the man and, with only one up top, he needs to score 15+ this season.
Dykes on 13:41 - Dec 18 with 1590 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 08:55 - Dec 18 by qprd

This is a good point, I agree

Chair in particular has rly changed his style of playLast year he was more of a link up player. This year, he is rly looking to cut onto his right and shoot.... he’s shooting a lot from distance recently , which I don’t rly recall him doing last year (which he did at Stevenage)

Is he linking up less bc he’s looking to score more or bc dykes just doesn’t link up as well? Not sure

I also think bright has been more selfish this year shooting when maybe he should be passsjng.... but again, is this bc dykes is making the wrong runs/not making himself available ? Also not sure

Previous post was spot on, not sure how it can be twisted that their selfishness must be someone else's fault.

Bright, so far this year, shoots when he should pass, and passes when he should shoot, which is down to poor decision making, given his lack of composure on the ball.

Chair played 2nd fiddle to Eze last year who dictated our attacking play, was in and out of the team at times, played a few different positions, and with Hughill and/or Wells leading the line, did not get too many shooting opportunities.

Dykes is always available to receive the short pass, has proven to be an excellent link up player for Scotland, but Chair and BOS in particular need to improve their team game and pass selection, otherwise we will continue to pose an attacking threat, as of late.
Dykes on 14:22 - Dec 18 with 1501 viewsNorthantsHoop

Dykes on 13:41 - Dec 18 by ParkRoyalR

Previous post was spot on, not sure how it can be twisted that their selfishness must be someone else's fault.

Bright, so far this year, shoots when he should pass, and passes when he should shoot, which is down to poor decision making, given his lack of composure on the ball.

Chair played 2nd fiddle to Eze last year who dictated our attacking play, was in and out of the team at times, played a few different positions, and with Hughill and/or Wells leading the line, did not get too many shooting opportunities.

Dykes is always available to receive the short pass, has proven to be an excellent link up player for Scotland, but Chair and BOS in particular need to improve their team game and pass selection, otherwise we will continue to pose an attacking threat, as of late.

I am still in shock from him not converting Chair's cross in 1st half against Stoke. I was right behind the goal in the School End, it was a sitter. He also fluffed that second half chance at Millwall when Chair set him up at 1-0. He also lunged with his hand at the late chance against Watford, instead of his head that would have sealed a 2-1 win. For me jury is out on him, also he handballs quite a lot, needs to cut it out of his game, it is not Aussie rules football.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 14:23]
Dykes on 14:57 - Dec 18 with 1464 viewsMedwayR

Dykes on 14:22 - Dec 18 by NorthantsHoop

I am still in shock from him not converting Chair's cross in 1st half against Stoke. I was right behind the goal in the School End, it was a sitter. He also fluffed that second half chance at Millwall when Chair set him up at 1-0. He also lunged with his hand at the late chance against Watford, instead of his head that would have sealed a 2-1 win. For me jury is out on him, also he handballs quite a lot, needs to cut it out of his game, it is not Aussie rules football.
[Post edited 18 Dec 2020 14:23]

The Stoke one got taken off his toe by great defending so I can't agree with that one. The Watford handball I still can't get my head around, I thought it was easier to score it than handball it! The Milwall one was a good chance that a confident striker would've scored, maybe that's his issue at present. However, I'm still confident that Dykes will come good, although I would be trying to sign a striker on loan in Jan.

Poll: Who’s better?

Dykes on 15:10 - Dec 18 with 1447 viewsfrancisbowles

He obviously wasn't top of our list but he was the one that we could afford. He's never been prolific and has had a huge step up from the Scottish Championship via one season in the SPL to us and immediately on joining us a full international.

So apart from having to get used to the Championship defenders marking him and international football, he has already almost equaled the total number of games he played last season.

Anyone would struggle with that load!

He hasn't been great for us but I think he is still the best we have.

It might have been better for us and him if he had settled in with us before going off with Scotland but that was out of our control.

Hopefully, with the crazy run of fixtures now settling to one a week, most weeks, until the middle of February, we can ease his fatigue, work on his individual game and get better link up play with the team.
Dykes on 15:58 - Dec 18 with 1404 viewsdavman

I usually calm my views as we move away from the last game, but not here.

Dykes is miles away from even a competent goalscorer at this level. I don't care if there was a touch from the defender v Stoke. That was a sitter. As was his chance v Millwall and his joke of a handball v Watford.

There have also been enough crosses coming across the six yard box that if he had the instinct, he'd have got himself a tap in. That pass from Willock a few games ago when he was on his heels another glaring example.

Also, for a self proclaimed rugby player, he isn't exactly giving oppo defenders any sort of grief. Compare him to the battering Akinfenwa is going to throw at the Tippy Tappy man tomorrow for a comparison.

I don't want to go too early, but have already starting yelling abuse at his image on my TV. I didn't make my mind up about Washington at this point, but I am almost there with Dykes.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes on 16:18 - Dec 18 with 1391 viewscorse

Dykes on 15:10 - Dec 18 by francisbowles

He obviously wasn't top of our list but he was the one that we could afford. He's never been prolific and has had a huge step up from the Scottish Championship via one season in the SPL to us and immediately on joining us a full international.

So apart from having to get used to the Championship defenders marking him and international football, he has already almost equaled the total number of games he played last season.

Anyone would struggle with that load!

He hasn't been great for us but I think he is still the best we have.

It might have been better for us and him if he had settled in with us before going off with Scotland but that was out of our control.

Hopefully, with the crazy run of fixtures now settling to one a week, most weeks, until the middle of February, we can ease his fatigue, work on his individual game and get better link up play with the team.

If he wasnt our top target but the one we could afford that would a be very stupid buy and silly thing to do.
If you cannot afford lets say for an example someone like Sergio Aguero you dont go and buy Sergei Akarov from Albanian 3 rd division team. Instead you wait to rise some money and get someone like Sergio Aguero.
If i want a Gibson custom lp and cannot afford it i ll wait till i have the money and dont go for an Indonesian made whatever brand copy of Gibson custom lp.
Dykes on 16:38 - Dec 18 with 1351 viewsNorthernr

I'm not going to pretend he's playing well or looks particularly good at the moment, but watching the Reading game from high, and then rewatching the Stoke game having been in SARS, the service to him is biblically bad. Terribly inaccurate, usually far too high, hopeful balls shoved his way where even if he could get up and win them he'd be flicking it on to nobody. Nobody ever runs beyond him looking for a flick on, bar the Dom Ball goal against Cardiff.
Dykes on 16:40 - Dec 18 with 1343 viewsderbyhoop

I'd like to see a touch map for Dykes. I don't think he gets in goal scoring positions often enough. Despite his good link up play, I'd like to see him get into the 6 yard box and between those 2 wooden upright things that are 8 yards apart.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dykes on 17:05 - Dec 18 with 1312 viewsfrancisbowles

Dykes on 16:18 - Dec 18 by corse

If he wasnt our top target but the one we could afford that would a be very stupid buy and silly thing to do.
If you cannot afford lets say for an example someone like Sergio Aguero you dont go and buy Sergei Akarov from Albanian 3 rd division team. Instead you wait to rise some money and get someone like Sergio Aguero.
If i want a Gibson custom lp and cannot afford it i ll wait till i have the money and dont go for an Indonesian made whatever brand copy of Gibson custom lp.

1. Out top target we got outbid for, and being Welsh he probably preferred Cardiff as well, when we thought it was almost done (Keifer Moore). Lyndon was probably second on the list at that stage.

2. So if we couldn't afford the player we really wanted, we shouldn't bother buying anyone else and go into the season with no strikers? We should save up? Where's the extra money coming from? If we did wait, the player we want will have gone anyway.

Sorry but I find that to be a very silly post as saving up for a Gibson guitar bears no relation to world of professional football.
Dykes on 17:07 - Dec 18 with 1307 viewsdavman

Dykes on 16:38 - Dec 18 by Northernr

I'm not going to pretend he's playing well or looks particularly good at the moment, but watching the Reading game from high, and then rewatching the Stoke game having been in SARS, the service to him is biblically bad. Terribly inaccurate, usually far too high, hopeful balls shoved his way where even if he could get up and win them he'd be flicking it on to nobody. Nobody ever runs beyond him looking for a flick on, bar the Dom Ball goal against Cardiff.

Get that, but when the chances come, he's not exactly throwing himself at them, is he?

Can't fault his effort, but he is not making a nuisance of himself neither is he making the most of what he's given. He has Hugill-ed more than Hugill did.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Dykes on 17:08 - Dec 18 with 1305 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 17:07 - Dec 18 by davman

Get that, but when the chances come, he's not exactly throwing himself at them, is he?

Can't fault his effort, but he is not making a nuisance of himself neither is he making the most of what he's given. He has Hugill-ed more than Hugill did.

Yeh can't disagree with that.
Dykes on 17:46 - Dec 18 with 1250 viewsPinnerPaul

Dykes on 16:38 - Dec 18 by Northernr

Not sure if you've listened to it, but I watched the 90' again and the part about no one running beyond him was exactly what Andy said!

He was also bemoaning the (lack off) service to him as well.

Before you get too big headed though, having watched it again, I'm afraid I can't in anyway agree with your 4 - 'worse game of his QPR career' for Geoff C - he had a decent game, although the bar wasn't that high I admit!
Dykes on 17:47 - Dec 18 with 1246 viewsPinnerPaul

While we're on Andy S - he didn't think that chance was anything like a sitter in fact he said

"I suppose you can call it a chance"

It WAS a chance, but not a 'sitter' in my view
Dykes on 17:50 - Dec 18 with 1244 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 17:47 - Dec 18 by PinnerPaul

While we're on Andy S - he didn't think that chance was anything like a sitter in fact he said

"I suppose you can call it a chance"

It WAS a chance, but not a 'sitter' in my view

It was good defending for me. Still struggling to comprehend the Watford miss though.
Dykes on 18:03 - Dec 18 with 1224 viewsnix

Dykes on 17:07 - Dec 18 by davman

I'm a massive Jordan fan and was gutted when he left but even I can see that he's been able to build his career over time. He only got three goals in his first Championship season. He only scored 14 goals across two seasons and over 60 matches between 2017/18-2018/19. He was great last season but then he had the best player in the Championship behind him, another striker on top form alongside him and pretty good service from BOS and Manning.

We've seen this team play well against good sides and poorly against more limited sides. I'd like to see us playing well against the lesser sides before we even begin to judge our new players. I'd like to test the defenders against Dykes when he's not the only person they have to mark. I'd like to see him have more chances running onto balls at his feet with space in the pen. He may not be the answer but I think we're rushing to judgment if we don't give him more time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024