Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to go 16:53 - Dec 12 with 23213 viewsDubaiR

Worst start in 6 seasons. 1 win in 8. We are not making progress.

Yes sold eze and lost others but also spent 8 million.

No clue today, another turgid performance
Time to go on 14:30 - Dec 14 with 2973 viewsrsonist

Time to go on 13:06 - Dec 14 by joe90

Believing there's a better option than Warbs is a bit like believing in Father Christmas.

A lot the alternatives that have been suggested are uninspired and would not take the club forward. Not much else to say other than we need to be patient and see out this bad patch.

In fairness there's a lot about being a football supporter than is a bit like believing in Father Christmas, including being patient with Warbs.
Time to go on 15:17 - Dec 14 with 2902 viewsqprrunner

Time to go on 14:30 - Dec 14 by rsonist

In fairness there's a lot about being a football supporter than is a bit like believing in Father Christmas, including being patient with Warbs.

Honestly, I think it is bonkers wanting Warbs out. For years we haven't had a style of play, under Warbs we can at least see what hes trying to do and its play an attacking passing game. Yes, we have lost games we shouldn't have but I'd rather drop points feeling gutted as we have played well rather than win games with 10 men behind the ball with Gary Borrowdale our most attacking player. Lets get behind the manager - we have an honest bunch of players and a manager who doesn't try bs the fans.
Time to go on 16:05 - Dec 14 with 2823 viewsNewBee

Time to go on 10:57 - Dec 14 by rsonist

No. A team with one or more players excelling individually may naturally perform better, obviously, but there isn't an amplifying "shop window" direct correlation.

Last five seasons Brentford final placings: 9, 10, 9, 11, 3 (QPR 12, 18, 16, 19, 13)
Last five season Brentford transfer income: 23m, 13m, 14m, 30m, 37m (33m this season, 20m Benrahma fee deferred)

Brentford extracted the maximum for Watkins and Benrahma primarily because they were in a position to wait for someone desperate to blink. They had the leeway in contract and a mature squad they'd gradually built that didn't need huge renovation reliant on the money they'd get for him. £30m only on deadline day would have killed us, we're still at a stage where we needed to reinvest immediately, the extra profit would have been worthless.

You could also point to Peterborough or maybe Crewe here for high value turnover at relatively flatline teams.

"Last five seasons Brentford final placings: 9, 10, 9, 11, 3 (QPR 12, 18, 16, 19, 13)
Last five season Brentford transfer income: 23m, 13m, 14m, 30m, 37m (33m this season, 20m Benrahma fee deferred)"

You make good points generally about maximising transfer revenues. But there is further insight to be gained by including the previous season (2014/15), BFC's first back in the Championship, when we finished 5th.

For that season, Matthew Benham calculated at the half way point that we were well placed to go up automatically, so he offered our Manager extra transfer money for January, to give the squad a late boost to our promotion push. However, the manager refused the offer, on the basis that it would only hurt the harmony in a small, tight-knit squad. Unfortunately MB proved to be correct when we "ran out of legs" by the end of the season, before stumbling to defeat in the play-offs. (Benham subsequently changed the system from "Manager" to "Head Coach", who would no longer have the final say over transfers. At which point we parted company with our Manager, one Mark Warburton.)

Meanwhile, in two of those subsequent seasons, Benham calculated at half way that the club was unlikely to get promoted, so sold players for maximum value in January, to raise funds which could be reinvested for the following season (and avoid FFP breaches).
Time to go on 16:22 - Dec 14 with 2806 viewsdaveB

Time to go on 10:28 - Dec 14 by Dixie_CT

Can’t see Kenny Jackett coming to a club with Joe Gallen whilst Les is here. Kenny’s brother Alan used to work in the academy as well but left when a lot of changes went on down at Harlington.

Did seem to be a bit of a cull down there with loads from Tottenham coming in and a lot of the existing staff replaced. Can’t have left the best taste in the mouth.

I forgot about the Gallen connection, if Kevin on twitter is anything to go by you are right Ferdinand would be an obstacle. To be honest I think the window for Jackett to get the job has gone now anyway, he would have been ideal a few years back not so sure now
Time to go on 16:30 - Dec 14 with 2757 viewsQPR_John

Time to go on 15:17 - Dec 14 by qprrunner

Honestly, I think it is bonkers wanting Warbs out. For years we haven't had a style of play, under Warbs we can at least see what hes trying to do and its play an attacking passing game. Yes, we have lost games we shouldn't have but I'd rather drop points feeling gutted as we have played well rather than win games with 10 men behind the ball with Gary Borrowdale our most attacking player. Lets get behind the manager - we have an honest bunch of players and a manager who doesn't try bs the fans.

" For years we haven't had a style of play, under Warbs we can at least see what hes trying to do and its play an attacking passing game."

That is my main gripe. Warburton does indeed have a style of play but my question is why use a large part of our sparse transfer budget on Dykes when, at least at the moment, he does not seem to fit in with that style of play.
Time to go on 11:24 - Dec 15 with 2551 viewsfrancisbowles

Time to go on 16:05 - Dec 14 by NewBee

"Last five seasons Brentford final placings: 9, 10, 9, 11, 3 (QPR 12, 18, 16, 19, 13)
Last five season Brentford transfer income: 23m, 13m, 14m, 30m, 37m (33m this season, 20m Benrahma fee deferred)"

You make good points generally about maximising transfer revenues. But there is further insight to be gained by including the previous season (2014/15), BFC's first back in the Championship, when we finished 5th.

For that season, Matthew Benham calculated at the half way point that we were well placed to go up automatically, so he offered our Manager extra transfer money for January, to give the squad a late boost to our promotion push. However, the manager refused the offer, on the basis that it would only hurt the harmony in a small, tight-knit squad. Unfortunately MB proved to be correct when we "ran out of legs" by the end of the season, before stumbling to defeat in the play-offs. (Benham subsequently changed the system from "Manager" to "Head Coach", who would no longer have the final say over transfers. At which point we parted company with our Manager, one Mark Warburton.)

Meanwhile, in two of those subsequent seasons, Benham calculated at half way that the club was unlikely to get promoted, so sold players for maximum value in January, to raise funds which could be reinvested for the following season (and avoid FFP breaches).

Does Matthew Benham fancy a new challenge?
Time to go on 11:26 - Dec 15 with 2548 viewsfrancisbowles

Time to go on 17:20 - Dec 12 by paulparker

I said weeks ago that we are going down and nothing is changing my mind
We have heard all the excuses of small budget, young players, inexperienced players, fine margins, etc etc
So why are Luton, Coventry , Barnsley doing so much better
Because they are well organised, have guts, and have players who are fighting for the manager and have a game plan
We are the complete opposite
A shambles in defence and our set pieces just about reach the first man , we have conceded well over a hundred goals under Warburton, that’s gonna get you relegated
We can’t score , our attacks come to nothing
For me Tuesday night summed it up, we were beating Millwall with chair & LTC our best players he takes them off when they were getting the better of them , why ??
If we go down Warburton won’t be here so make the change and try and stay up

For me Tuesday night summed it up, we were beating Millwall with chair & LTC our best players he takes them off when they were getting the better of them , why ??

Except we weren't, Millwall had already equalised and Chair was showing signs of fatigue, including switching off when Millwall took the free kick that led to the goal.
Time to go on 11:53 - Dec 15 with 2491 viewspaulparker

Time to go on 11:26 - Dec 15 by francisbowles

Except we weren't, Millwall had already equalised and Chair was showing signs of fatigue, including switching off when Millwall took the free kick that led to the goal.

Disagree there
Chair was our only threat in that game the only one to cause them issues same as LTC I’m not his biggest fan but he was the only one passing to feet , we took both off and the game swung millwalls way , another 5 minutes and we could of lost that as well

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Time to go on 13:29 - Dec 15 with 2446 viewsfrancisbowles

Time to go on 11:53 - Dec 15 by paulparker

Disagree there
Chair was our only threat in that game the only one to cause them issues same as LTC I’m not his biggest fan but he was the only one passing to feet , we took both off and the game swung millwalls way , another 5 minutes and we could of lost that as well

Well you can't disagree that Millwall had equalised, thats a fact, and hopefully not that Chair switched off for the free kick.
Time to go on 17:56 - Dec 15 with 2385 viewsTGRRRSSS

Am I right in thinking last season mostly, we had more possession than the oppo regardless of wins barring the odd game I'm sure....
Time to go on 18:20 - Dec 15 with 2357 viewsTGRRRSSS

Just been looking at his Wiki - he played best as a foil for Queen of Souths Main striker Steven Dobbie - who's now 38!!

His goals in Scotland is nothing to write home about which makes the signing even more perplexing, if he gets 10 goals this season it'll be a mireacle.

I agree about the BOS thing and something not being right though.
Time to go on 21:13 - Dec 16 with 2241 viewsGloucs_R

Interesting article with Clint Hill... About Warburton never focusing on defence. Doing the rounds on Twitter, but an older piece

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/clint-hill-reflects-r
[Post edited 16 Dec 2020 21:39]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Time to go on 21:35 - Dec 16 with 2166 viewsSixtyPlus

Time to go on 21:13 - Dec 16 by Gloucs_R

Interesting article with Clint Hill... About Warburton never focusing on defence. Doing the rounds on Twitter, but an older piece

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/clint-hill-reflects-r

Heard this somewhere before...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/we-never-practised-set-pieces-62370

Worrying.
Time to go on 22:34 - Dec 16 with 2038 viewsdaveB

not sure it says he never focusses on defence was more about defensive set pieces which for a side like Rangers who have the majority of the play you could understand the thinking.

These things are usually exaggerated though
Time to go on 22:39 - Dec 16 with 2031 viewsdannyblue

I think Warburton should stay. We will stay up, barring another season-ending injury. We play attractive football. We're gaining experience. The players may have glass jaws, but they're playing for him and start well.
Time to go on 22:54 - Dec 16 with 1997 viewsNortholt_Rs

Time to go on 22:39 - Dec 16 by dannyblue

I think Warburton should stay. We will stay up, barring another season-ending injury. We play attractive football. We're gaining experience. The players may have glass jaws, but they're playing for him and start well.

“We will stay up”
I really wish I had your belief... We are 19th and just three points ahead of Rotherham, Forest and Derby. This side has no goals in it and is easy to score against. The stories coming out about Warburton not practicing any defensive work and our strikers not training together are just crazily unprofessional if true. Wycombe is a massive game for Warburton.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Time to go on 10:08 - Dec 17 with 1885 viewsdannyblue

Time to go on 22:54 - Dec 16 by Northolt_Rs

“We will stay up”
I really wish I had your belief... We are 19th and just three points ahead of Rotherham, Forest and Derby. This side has no goals in it and is easy to score against. The stories coming out about Warburton not practicing any defensive work and our strikers not training together are just crazily unprofessional if true. Wycombe is a massive game for Warburton.

I gain belief from the fact that despite our failings, the team do start well and appear to believe in the plan. If they down tools then of course something has to be done.
Time to go on 10:16 - Dec 17 with 1860 viewsPaddyhoops

Time to go on 17:17 - Dec 12 by NottsQPR

I can’t believe that we never, ever put in a cross for Dykes to try and get his head onto.

The bloke who would have supplied the crosses is sitting on Swansea city's bench for the last 3 months. On better wages!!
Time to go on 10:48 - Dec 17 with 1791 viewsfrancisbowles

Time to go on 10:16 - Dec 17 by Paddyhoops

The bloke who would have supplied the crosses is sitting on Swansea city's bench for the last 3 months. On better wages!!

His choice!
Time to go on 10:50 - Dec 17 with 1783 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Time to go on 10:16 - Dec 17 by Paddyhoops

Says more about him than us to be fair.
Time to go on 10:51 - Dec 17 with 1780 viewsfrancisbowles

Used to love Clint and will always have respect for what he did for our club, especially organising the side when that charlatan was 'in charge'

However, there is too much Barton rubbing off on him, at least he still has a bit of grace that goes with it though.
Time to go on 13:14 - Dec 17 with 1680 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

These are genuine questions coming from a very ignorant place,

But do defenders that have played the game for a decade already really need in depth training?

What more is there to learn? Is Clint thinking of practice instead? Is there a difference between practice and training?
Time to go on 13:20 - Dec 17 with 1670 viewsDannytheR

Slightly snide behaviour whoever is doing it, slagging off a fellow coach/manager in public when it could be very easily read as you and your boss angling to replace him.
Time to go on 13:37 - Dec 17 with 1633 viewsR_from_afar

I can't find the quote at the moment but I thought Warburton recently said we do practise that sort of thing.

In any case, we have tightened up defensively recently. OK, we barely score any, but all the same.

Anyway, there is no guarantee that the way Warburton used to do things is the way he still does.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Time to go on 13:47 - Dec 17 with 1619 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Time to go on 13:20 - Dec 17 by DannytheR

Slightly snide behaviour whoever is doing it, slagging off a fellow coach/manager in public when it could be very easily read as you and your boss angling to replace him.

To be fair Danny, he said this in the summer in a QPR podcast too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024