Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty 17:21 - Jun 11 with 61975 viewsFDC

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 08:37 - Jun 15 with 4306 viewsLblock

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 01:38 - Jun 15 by SonofNorfolt

As someone who was there, tear gassed, which unintentionally ticked off one of my top 100 bucket list experiences, and can tell you all what actually occurred on Saturday? If you all would like to be accurately informed as to exactly what took place on Saturday, I'll explain.

I've had second hand accounts.... A "blow by blow" from an experienced overseas traveller would be interesting

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 08:42 - Jun 15 with 4308 viewsKonk

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 16:10 - Jun 14 by MedwayR

The irony here is that if someone said to you:

- T-shirts a size too small
- Tight shorts
- Leather gloves
- Bum bags

You'd think gay parade or the village people, the Russian hooligans would fit right in at a gay parade.

That’s exactly what I was thinking — a load of pumped-up Muscle Mary’s running round in shorts straight out of España 82.

This is apparently the Spartak Moscow mob. Is the bloke front centre wearing mirrored-aviators and a cycling cap? I wouldn’t want a ruck with this lot, but in this picture they look like a load of extras in a Sinitta video or as if they’re all about to burst into “Go West” with an Unfinished Sympathy style tracking shot video as they march down the street.

Wouldn’t look out of place on a float…

…Or putting in a performance at Heaven:

Asides from the utterly cun tish violence, there's definitely something very homo-erotic about this lot. I suspect it's borne of deep self-loathing and insecurity. If they lived in a more liberal, tolerant society, you'd hope they could settle down into happy relationships, find love, renounce violence and throw away their gum shields. Who knows, in time they might even stop stamping on unconscious peoples' heads or hitting people on crutches over the head with chairs?

PS. Mel — As a seasoned traveller with England, I’d be very interested to hear your account of Saturday.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:03 - Jun 15 with 4260 viewsstevec

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 18:48 - Jun 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Yes, sorry man but that's my view.

The Russians won't attack Swiss fans, will they? The reason they will attack English fans (and tonight seems to have been started 100% by the Russians) is because of the decades of violence caused by the knucklehead section of the English support. They know they'll find a fight with England and they couldn't care less if innocents get in the way.

The w@nkers who've caused mayhem around Europe since the 60's in England's name are as much to blame for the hospitalised English fans as the Russians are.

''The w@nkers who've caused mayhem around Europe since the 60's in England's name are as much to blame for the hospitalised English fans as the Russians are.''

You must tell that to the bloke in a coma, Brian.

Good job I've been on holiday.
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:03 - Jun 15 with 4255 viewsTheBlob

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 07:05 - Jun 15 by PunteR

I'm listening.

Probably don't have decent wi-fi in The Slammer.*

*La Taule
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 9:08]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:10 - Jun 15 with 4232 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:03 - Jun 15 by stevec

''The w@nkers who've caused mayhem around Europe since the 60's in England's name are as much to blame for the hospitalised English fans as the Russians are.''

You must tell that to the bloke in a coma, Brian.

Good job I've been on holiday.

Yours,

Mr Angry of Kneejerkton
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:17 - Jun 15 with 4211 viewskingsburyR

As someone who was there, tear gassed, which unintentionally ticked off one of my top 100 bucket list experiences, and can tell you all what actually occurred on Saturday? If you all would like to be accurately informed as to exactly what took place on Saturday, I'll explain.

At what number was that on the old bucket list???

I'd love to see your top five.

My hand feeding a Panda seems a bit tame now..........I'll change it to a fist fight with Panda instead!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:34 - Jun 15 with 4156 viewsMrSheen

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:17 - Jun 15 by kingsburyR

At what number was that on the old bucket list???

I'd love to see your top five.

My hand feeding a Panda seems a bit tame now..........I'll change it to a fist fight with Panda instead!!

Panda penises are only 3cm long, so you can rest assured that if the worst happens it won't be too bad.
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:40 - Jun 15 with 4140 viewsDWQPR

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:34 - Jun 15 by MrSheen

Panda penises are only 3cm long, so you can rest assured that if the worst happens it won't be too bad.

I must have panda blood in me!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 10:11 - Jun 15 with 4061 viewsPunteR

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:34 - Jun 15 by MrSheen

Eats shoots and leaves

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 10:23 - Jun 15 with 4036 viewsPunteR

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:40 - Jun 15 by DWQPR

I must have panda blood in me!

You've got panda in you??

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:13 - Jun 15 with 3899 viewsDorse

5. Get tear-gassed.
4. Laugh in face of tear gas.
3. Go round corner away from tear gas and have a legitimate cry without feeling unmanned.
2. Feel a bit better.
1. Finish coffee.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 18:20 - Jun 15 with 3629 viewsTacticalR

Interesting interview with Marc Bennetts in Russia on Five Live Football Daily yesterday

'Having football hooligans run riot in Marseilles plays into the Kremlin's narrative of 'Europe in chaos', which is something that Putin and his allies in the state media are very keen to portray, but having the same things going on inside Russia isn't to their advantage and just makes Putin look weak, so what will happen before the 2018 games is the police will come round to the houses of all the known football hooligans and tell them "if we see you on the streets we will put you away for 10-15 years on trumped-up charges"'.

He also mentions that the professional hooligans don't drink or smoke.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03ycnck (5 minutes long, minutes 40-45)
[Post edited 15 Jun 2016 18:45]

Air hostess clique

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 18:37 - Jun 15 with 3580 viewsTheBlob

Looks like there's an upside to all this.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/stan-collymore-teargassed-russia-england

Poll: So how was the season for you?

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 19:37 - Jun 15 with 3443 viewsQPRDave

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 18:37 - Jun 15 by TheBlob

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/stan-collymore-teargassed-russia-england

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 06:29 - Jun 16 with 3106 viewsLblock

Mel you big tease

We're waiting for your account. Can we have it in true hoolie book style a la Cass Pennant etc, "there was 427 of them and only 20 of our top lot; we stood and done 'em"?

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 09:52 - Jun 16 with 4528 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

36 arrests last night. Great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36543468
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 10:13 - Jun 16 with 4467 viewsblacky200

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 18:37 - Jun 15 by TheBlob

SO SC decides to follow the England fans causing trouble. Perhaps he was hoping he would bump into a Swede that he could batter. Oh wait he's already done that
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:24 - Jun 16 with 4346 viewsbob566

English journo on irish radio this morning said that there were around 200 fans in that bar last night singing and having fun. They were a little boisterous he said. Then there was an overly heavy police presence which heightened the tension. The police stood there for ages. Usual songs been sung. You know the ones. Then some clown stripped off down to nothing climbed a lamppost and started orchestrating the fans in song. Police send out some warnings. Couple of other clowns threw bottles and the police moved in.

In an unrelated event the other day there was an irish guy naked on top of a van doing some dancing been cheered on by the irish fans yet this is seen as ok behaviour.

I'm an irish man and I know our lot out there are as drunk and loud as the English fans but maybe they're not so confrontational with the police. I don't know. They do themselves no harm whatsoever with behaviour like this though which goes to soften relationships with locals and the police

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/while-others-fight-these-irish-fans-had-

For what its worth English fans are deffo getting targeted by Russians, police, French ultras etc more so than any other fans out there. They are been provoked and I feel sorry for them for once as I think most of the English fans this time are fairly peaceful and in good humour but they're getting goaded into a reaction. But do crap like the irish do and some fan go and buy some black sacks and stick your empties in there. Little things go a long way.
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:29 - Jun 16 with 4332 viewsBrightonhoop

What a suprise, doing Putins bidding and a far right extremist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36546183
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:30 - Jun 16 with 4330 viewsPommyhoop

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:24 - Jun 16 by bob566

English journo on irish radio this morning said that there were around 200 fans in that bar last night singing and having fun. They were a little boisterous he said. Then there was an overly heavy police presence which heightened the tension. The police stood there for ages. Usual songs been sung. You know the ones. Then some clown stripped off down to nothing climbed a lamppost and started orchestrating the fans in song. Police send out some warnings. Couple of other clowns threw bottles and the police moved in.

In an unrelated event the other day there was an irish guy naked on top of a van doing some dancing been cheered on by the irish fans yet this is seen as ok behaviour.

I'm an irish man and I know our lot out there are as drunk and loud as the English fans but maybe they're not so confrontational with the police. I don't know. They do themselves no harm whatsoever with behaviour like this though which goes to soften relationships with locals and the police

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/while-others-fight-these-irish-fans-had-

For what its worth English fans are deffo getting targeted by Russians, police, French ultras etc more so than any other fans out there. They are been provoked and I feel sorry for them for once as I think most of the English fans this time are fairly peaceful and in good humour but they're getting goaded into a reaction. But do crap like the irish do and some fan go and buy some black sacks and stick your empties in there. Little things go a long way.

Good post.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 12:31 - Jun 16 with 4324 viewsTacticalR

Shprygin expelled
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36546183

Air hostess clique

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 13:19 - Jun 16 with 4261 viewsVish

I went to Lille yesterday for a day trip to watch Russia vs Slovakia (got tickets in the UEFA ballot)

We took the 8am Eurostar direct to Lille. There was an alcohol ban on the service, but this didn't stop people drinking in St Pancras before that and sneaking a few cans onboard. There were Russians, Slovakians and English on the train and all good natured.

We then arrived in Lille, as soon as you get out of the station there was nobody on hand to try and direct fans anywhere - when there really should have been considering what has been going on. We decided to head to a nearby hotel bar to avoid the square. In the hotel was a Euro 2016 hub where officials were on hand to help with queries. We asked where we should go, but no advice other than we're unsure whats going on in the square try and avoid it. The hotel bar had champagne etc and basically posh - we just didn't fit in, so we decided to head to the main square which was only 10mins away to see what was going on.

Once we got there, immediately we could see English, Russians and Slovaks all sitting outside in the square enjoying a pint and sitting next to each other. So we joined them and all was tension free and generally good natured. This is obviously as the serious drinking hadn't started.

We then decided to walk to the ground which was an hour away, rather than risk the metro incase we'd get stuck there (as you can tell by my username i'm not white and didn’t want to be an easy target for any trouble). Again all harmless getting to and inside the ground. There were a lot of touts trying to flog tickets.

There were 3 checkpoints, first to check you have a valid ticket, second a pretty thorough search and lastly barcoded turnstile entrance. Once we got in, bizarrely beer was allowed inside the stadium - however it was 0.5% Carlsberg (which I assume isn't classified as a full alcoholic drink).

After the game, buses were laid on to get to the metro and back to the main square. Again, no tension or trouble in or around the ground, or even inside - apart from a Russian fan sneaking in a Pyro and igniting it.

We then made our way to the main square and it was like being in Trafalgar Square — it had totally changed from when we left it earlier as the England fans had clearly poured in during the afternoon. England fans had taken over the pubs because of the sheer volume of fans in such a small area. I assumed the Slovakians would be around to celebrate but you could see a lot of them heading back on the train, either to their next venue or home. In the square the English were loud — but were not causing any trouble. Everyone just drinking in the sun. The bars had all removed chairs/stools and anything else that could be used as a weapon, and cordoned off some the pubs using metal railings. The largest group of fans were in a side (ish) street having a sing song. Like celebrities, they were being closely watched by riot gear police and a lot of news camera men — some of the fans lapped this up by standing on shoulders singing loudly and almost posing for some of the locals taking photos and videos. There was no way we were going to get a drink in those pubs, so we decided to goto a small bar next to the station which was quiet and basically with people waiting to take the Eurostar home.

I’m not surprised it kicked off later as the beer was flowing all day. The weather also was glorious in the afternoon so a lot of fans were clearly going to get drunk before they knew it. The fact that the large group of fans were being watched closely probably didn’t help (in my opinion) as once one or two are drunk, it just taken them to think ‘feck the old bill why are they watching us etc’ and lob a glass over. (all in my opinion) — so I’m not surprised it kicked off later. We took the train back at 830pm and didn’t see any trouble at that point. The biggest problem with the fans I saw having a good time was booze. None of them looked like a mob or thugs, but young lads enjoying themselves — but one or two take it too far. I can’t comment on the late night stuff, but before that it was all good natured — but there was an air of inevitably about it due to the sheer number of fans in the small square. The city couldn’t cope with it. As fans spill out on streets it gets aggressive. Ideally fans would be contained within the pub to control them — but its not easy to do in such a small city.

For the record, the afternoon drinking with the Russians, Slovakians and English was brilliant. The football was also enjoyable (although a draw would have been ideal) — bizarrely the stadium roof was closed! For a day-trip was top notch. Hopefully we’ll top our group and get to the quarters and I’ll be back in Lille again!
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 20:39 - Jun 16 with 4097 viewsBrixtonR

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 13:19 - Jun 16 by Vish

I went to Lille yesterday for a day trip to watch Russia vs Slovakia (got tickets in the UEFA ballot)

We took the 8am Eurostar direct to Lille. There was an alcohol ban on the service, but this didn't stop people drinking in St Pancras before that and sneaking a few cans onboard. There were Russians, Slovakians and English on the train and all good natured.

We then arrived in Lille, as soon as you get out of the station there was nobody on hand to try and direct fans anywhere - when there really should have been considering what has been going on. We decided to head to a nearby hotel bar to avoid the square. In the hotel was a Euro 2016 hub where officials were on hand to help with queries. We asked where we should go, but no advice other than we're unsure whats going on in the square try and avoid it. The hotel bar had champagne etc and basically posh - we just didn't fit in, so we decided to head to the main square which was only 10mins away to see what was going on.

Once we got there, immediately we could see English, Russians and Slovaks all sitting outside in the square enjoying a pint and sitting next to each other. So we joined them and all was tension free and generally good natured. This is obviously as the serious drinking hadn't started.

We then decided to walk to the ground which was an hour away, rather than risk the metro incase we'd get stuck there (as you can tell by my username i'm not white and didn’t want to be an easy target for any trouble). Again all harmless getting to and inside the ground. There were a lot of touts trying to flog tickets.

There were 3 checkpoints, first to check you have a valid ticket, second a pretty thorough search and lastly barcoded turnstile entrance. Once we got in, bizarrely beer was allowed inside the stadium - however it was 0.5% Carlsberg (which I assume isn't classified as a full alcoholic drink).

After the game, buses were laid on to get to the metro and back to the main square. Again, no tension or trouble in or around the ground, or even inside - apart from a Russian fan sneaking in a Pyro and igniting it.

We then made our way to the main square and it was like being in Trafalgar Square — it had totally changed from when we left it earlier as the England fans had clearly poured in during the afternoon. England fans had taken over the pubs because of the sheer volume of fans in such a small area. I assumed the Slovakians would be around to celebrate but you could see a lot of them heading back on the train, either to their next venue or home. In the square the English were loud — but were not causing any trouble. Everyone just drinking in the sun. The bars had all removed chairs/stools and anything else that could be used as a weapon, and cordoned off some the pubs using metal railings. The largest group of fans were in a side (ish) street having a sing song. Like celebrities, they were being closely watched by riot gear police and a lot of news camera men — some of the fans lapped this up by standing on shoulders singing loudly and almost posing for some of the locals taking photos and videos. There was no way we were going to get a drink in those pubs, so we decided to goto a small bar next to the station which was quiet and basically with people waiting to take the Eurostar home.

I’m not surprised it kicked off later as the beer was flowing all day. The weather also was glorious in the afternoon so a lot of fans were clearly going to get drunk before they knew it. The fact that the large group of fans were being watched closely probably didn’t help (in my opinion) as once one or two are drunk, it just taken them to think ‘feck the old bill why are they watching us etc’ and lob a glass over. (all in my opinion) — so I’m not surprised it kicked off later. We took the train back at 830pm and didn’t see any trouble at that point. The biggest problem with the fans I saw having a good time was booze. None of them looked like a mob or thugs, but young lads enjoying themselves — but one or two take it too far. I can’t comment on the late night stuff, but before that it was all good natured — but there was an air of inevitably about it due to the sheer number of fans in the small square. The city couldn’t cope with it. As fans spill out on streets it gets aggressive. Ideally fans would be contained within the pub to control them — but its not easy to do in such a small city.

For the record, the afternoon drinking with the Russians, Slovakians and English was brilliant. The football was also enjoyable (although a draw would have been ideal) — bizarrely the stadium roof was closed! For a day-trip was top notch. Hopefully we’ll top our group and get to the quarters and I’ll be back in Lille again!

Good report, nice one. Respect to going.

Interestingly this article pinpoints alot of the reasons that the OB fcked It explaines explicitly why tear gassing 200 people when one div chucks a bottle is a bit silly

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10312584/england-fans-should-expect
England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 21:24 - Jun 16 with 4045 viewsdanehoop

Just looking back at my original post on here in light of the actions that have belatedly been taken by the French authorities and Russian responses:

"In the case of the Russians, I'd just point out that the same extremists who are there are the ones who carry out horrible racist attacks and even murders in their own countries. Rarely if ever are they arrested or prosecuted for their crimes because of alledged collusion with the authorities. Given the somewhat strained relations between our two countries at the moment and the almost military tactics being deployed I'd perhaps go as far as to suggest this is typical provocation tactics used by certain parts of the Russian system."

I still feel that there was/is an element of tacit support in Russia for what has happened. Just be careful for those fans still out there as they are unlikely to go quietly if they get eliminated from the competition.

As for the policing, people need to understand that if you are not in the UK you probably shouldn't expect UK style policing approaches. The French security system is having to cope with huge pressures at the moment coping with terrorism and social/political unrest. They indicated clearly how they would respond to perceived provocation. That isn't an excuse for what are clearly lessons to be learnt by them - but given the context of what they are having to handle simultaneously it is easier to understand.

Never knowingly understood

England v Russia fighting. Sounds nasty on 21:55 - Jun 16 with 3981 viewsLblock

I agree Dane. It's a Europe I want to remain part of.

Sing too loudly or have a beer too many and it's a slap with a truncheon, a clatter from a riot shield and a mouth full of tear gas. The other side of it is the integration of violent, ultra facist and morally exempt east European thugs and freedom of movement for them

Never should the continent try to accept or understand us
But we should flex backwards to do the same

I totally accept people's views on England fans abroad but having been one and an away fan more times than I could ever recall I know one thing. You'll be the most prejudiced against anywhere, home or abroad

Anyway I'm somewhat drunk and tired.

Don't send me home....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024