Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did my eyes deceive me? 19:56 - Jan 12 with 22648 viewsSuffolkHoop

Or did I see a Rangers fans with no shoes on waking on Portman Road yesterday? WTF
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:09 - Jan 14 with 1686 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:04 - Jan 14 by SuffolkHoop

So in summary I wasn't hallucinating. You do in fact go to all QPR games and through life with no shoes on.

Oui, c'est ça. :)
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:13 - Jan 14 with 1670 viewsenfieldargh

SAxbend guy has nothing on Rob Bredl (Barefoot Bushman). The only Brown Snakes you'll find on the Uxbridge Road come out of a Staff or the back of an Ethiopian restaurant

I can't fathom why anyone would willingly walk barefoot in London but each to his own.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:15 - Jan 14 with 1663 viewsboobishabang

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:09 - Jan 14 by saxbend

So what age were you when you decided to go for the no sock and shoe option? was it a wake up one morning and that was the day i will never wear shoes again?

Cricket - wouldnt fancy batting bare footed and getting a yorker on the toe or top of the foot, owch!

how would you get round the issue should you want to go Skiing or ice skating?
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:20 - Jan 14 with 1650 viewsJAPRANGERS

What does your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend feel about your shoeless lifestyle?? Do you go to the supermarket etc barefooted together??
Anyway good luck to you!
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:20 - Jan 14 with 1649 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Just googled Hookworm.

Anemia is worm related, well I never.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookworm

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:26 - Jan 14 with 1639 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:15 - Jan 14 by boobishabang

So what age were you when you decided to go for the no sock and shoe option? was it a wake up one morning and that was the day i will never wear shoes again?

Cricket - wouldnt fancy batting bare footed and getting a yorker on the toe or top of the foot, owch!

how would you get round the issue should you want to go Skiing or ice skating?

I was always taking my shoes off when I was a child. Never really liked wearing them. I think it must have been when I went away to university for the first time that I realised I didn't need permission to be myself and didn't need to be afraid of what other people would think as I as reinventing myself in new social circles.

Played a bit of cricket at school. I followed uniform rules there, but I've never been hit on the shoe or the foot by a cricket ball. It would take a special ball to land right on top of my foot without bouncing first and not get my leg, or indeed my bat, and I'm aware enough to move my foot if I think it's going to happen. It's not something I worry about now though as I've not played cricket since, and if I ever did play it'd be a casual game with a bat and ball in a park somewhere with friends no more practised than I am, so I wouldn't be bringing shoes for it.

I don't think they've invented blades you can attach directly to bare feet yet, so I'd have to wear ordinary skates for that, but as I mentioned before I injured my knee trying to learn how to ice skate. It was a bad experience and I have no inclination to try it again, skates or no stakes.

Never been skiing. With my knees now it probably wouldn't be much fun for me. I get most of my exercise from walking around from gig to gig, often carrying heavy musical instruments, or doing the odd charity walk (doing one again next month as it happens for Cancer Research).
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:28 - Jan 14 with 1636 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:20 - Jan 14 by JAPRANGERS

What does your girlfriend/wife/boyfriend feel about your shoeless lifestyle?? Do you go to the supermarket etc barefooted together??
Anyway good luck to you!

She did go barefoot a bit at first to humour me and to see what it was like. She doesn't any more. She doesn't try to stop me though and I don't try to make her do it. She does come to Rangers sometimes though so I do have SOME influence. :)
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:30 - Jan 14 with 1629 viewsmakaveli1882

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:01 - Jan 14 by saxbend

OK suppose I step on a 6 inch nail and it goes right through my foot. What has to have happened first?

This 6 inch nail is presumably pointing up right in order to go through right my foot when I step on it, that takes some pretty unusual circumstances. It also makes it very visible.

Presumably it's been there a while and I won't have been the first person to walk that way. So how come everyone else managed to avoid it, while I, the person most conscious of the ground in front of me didn't? It's more likely that not everyone else managed to avoid it, and stamping right down onto a 6 inch nail isn't much safer if you've got shoes on. And if it does penetrate, you don't just get the nail in your foot, you get the broken bits of shoe and all the dirt injected straight into your body. That's far more work for the NHS is to sort out than a single nail straight into the foot.

Also if I did feel it cutting me I would not continue pushing my foot against it. I will react far quicker than someone wearing a shoe who'll probably be at peak speed and force in his/her footstep by the time they notice they're impaling themself on a nail, so yes I'd cut myself, but for it to go right through my foot I'd have to be not only very careless but also seeking out serious pain and damage to the point of overriding my instinct to stop.

And no, your stating that "wearing shoes would cause less damage" doesn't make that true.

So given that I'm not going to follow through on the nail, and given that I know what to do when I do get a cut - i.e. stop the bleeding (use a plaster if necessary), then make sure it's washed thoroughly and sealed first chance I get (home at the end of the day is more than soon enough to prevent an infection, especially if you use savlon or some other antiseptic cream), the NHS is free to deal with smokers and people who got into stupid fights because they were more lightweight than they dared admit to themselves.

Moving on.

Who are these many podiatrists you've been talking to? Because I can give you a list of names, with one of whom I'm in regular contact, who not only dismiss this unimformed bollocks out of hand (it's all based on assumptions from people who don't go barefoot but try to map shod thinking onto it assuming that you do everything the same without shoes as with, which is of course nonsense), but spend as much time barefoot as I do.

The lack of support is only a problem when your feet are used to a support. It's entirely analogous to stabilisers on a bike. Whether you think you need them, or you think you don't, you're right. Feet get weak from getting accustomed to the support of shoes. Not wearing shoes gives them a chance to strengthen up again. I'm not a podiatrist so I couldn't say if there's such a thing as it being too late for some people, but I CAN say that for a lot of people it isn't too late yet, depending on age and physical condition. But of course you have to want to go barefoot enough for it to matter, and since you don't I wouldn't worry about it. But please don't tell me you know more about it than I do. I've been out both with shoes on and without. You haven't.

Bacteria, fungi and viruses I think I may have already mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, but it's important so I'll say it here rather than check whether or not I have. No harm in repeating it:

For any of these microbes to take hold on your foot they need enough time in contact with you, and particularly on a weak spot to get started. The ideal conditions for that would be inside shoes. Your feet are much softer in shoes. Not just because they haven't toughened up from use, but also because the sweat and moisture is contained, keeping the skin much softer than it would normally be. Also the whole of the foot is exposed in this way, not just the tougher parts that tough the ground. Shoes provide a warm moist environment that microbes love, and once they're in there, they stay there. And no, regularly putting on clean socks does not provide a significant barrier.

If you're barefoot not only do you have tougher healthier skin, and not only are your feet usually dry with good air circulation, but with every step you brush off whatever's on your feet and replace it with different dirt (or different water if it's raining). I don't catch a cold from going barefoot in the rain because it's different water with every step, any viruses I might pick up from one step get washed away with the next before I can do anything - quite different from staying in the rain in wet socks and shoes which hold things in. And the same applies to fungus and bacteria cells that are found in the dirt. Every step dusts it off.

Much more importantly though the fact that my feet still remain dirty at the end of the day is a significant reminder to me to wash them far more frequently than anyone would wash a pair of outdoor shoes, and even when they do wash their shoes they tend to wash only the outside.

So these microbes really don't stay long enough on my feet to get to work on them, and the skin on my feet is in a good enough condition to keep them out anyway.

Now you might point out that if you were shoes all of the time, then these things aren't going to get anywhere near you anyway. But they still could. A bit of dirt could find its way into your shoes. You could pick it up with your sock from inside your own house and transfer it there and let it grow, as it would in a petri dish in a school biology lab.

Glass and rusty nails I've already covered. Hookworm is pretty much unheard of in the Western world, but as I said before common sense is enough to avoid most cuts, and to treat any you do incur well enough to render the possibility of bad infections negligible.

Now I'm going to embarrass you a bit. I recognise this text. I've seen it before. It probably wouldn't take me long to find it and work out where you copied and pasted it from. Shame on you for not citing your source. You didn't even change it so it wasn't in American English.

This is trolling basically - finding something contrary and sticking it up there to see what would happen. So normally I wouldn't feed it. But for the purpose of dispelling this bollocks before anyone else sees it and goes away thinking it's sensible I've addressed it. However I don't think I need address any more posts from you. You're not playing fair. ;)

Now I'm going to embarrass you a bit

You already have I've been in a state of shock since I first saw this thread and I am embarrassed there is a Rangers fans walking around to grounds with pissy shitty feet, and I generally would feel embarrassed if you stood or sat next to me in a pub/train or football stadium and would feel very uncomfortable.

Not embarrassed about copy and pasting at all.

100% you will not be doing this in ten years maybe even one its just for shock value and for the attention which unfortunately I'm giving you

On a side note your not the only nutnut Rangers fan out there, last home game there was an old boy walking around with a 101 Dalmatian teddy on the end of a long red stick making Rangers fans sing to it the Springbok and South Africa road absolutely ridiculous
Login to get fewer ads

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:38 - Jan 14 with 1621 viewsboobishabang

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:28 - Jan 14 by saxbend

She did go barefoot a bit at first to humour me and to see what it was like. She doesn't any more. She doesn't try to stop me though and I don't try to make her do it. She does come to Rangers sometimes though so I do have SOME influence. :)

How about forgetting to wash the old feet if you come in one night after a skinful of ale and pass out on the bed? whats the worse substance to try and clean of the feet?
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:41 - Jan 14 with 1613 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:38 - Jan 14 by boobishabang

How about forgetting to wash the old feet if you come in one night after a skinful of ale and pass out on the bed? whats the worse substance to try and clean of the feet?

That's difficult to answer. It usually just manifests as a combined homogenous amount of dirt. If I've managed to get muddy and the mud has since dried, that requires a bit more scrubbing to get it properly off my ankles and tops of my feet, which usually stay a lot cleaner.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:49 - Jan 14 with 1590 viewsNorthernr

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:30 - Jan 14 by makaveli1882

Now I'm going to embarrass you a bit

You already have I've been in a state of shock since I first saw this thread and I am embarrassed there is a Rangers fans walking around to grounds with pissy shitty feet, and I generally would feel embarrassed if you stood or sat next to me in a pub/train or football stadium and would feel very uncomfortable.

Not embarrassed about copy and pasting at all.

100% you will not be doing this in ten years maybe even one its just for shock value and for the attention which unfortunately I'm giving you

On a side note your not the only nutnut Rangers fan out there, last home game there was an old boy walking around with a 101 Dalmatian teddy on the end of a long red stick making Rangers fans sing to it the Springbok and South Africa road absolutely ridiculous

Embarrassed? By Ben? Ffs Dave they're his feet.
I'm much more embarrassed by the coked up elements of our travelling support, disappearing off to the bogs on the train and ducking out at half time to call it on, than the one very nice, polite lad who goes in no shoes.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:58 - Jan 14 with 1566 viewsboobishabang

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:49 - Jan 14 by Northernr

I'm much more embarrassed by the coked up elements of our travelling support, disappearing off to the bogs on the train and ducking out at half time to call it on, than the one very nice, polite lad who goes in no shoes.

Good Reply! not hurting anyone in what he's doing, fair play i say
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:06 - Jan 14 with 1542 viewsRangersw12

I went out with no shoes/socks on yesterday to put the rubbish out in the 10/20 steps I had taken I had trodden on 4 stones ( 1 big bloody hurt) , nearly slipped the paving slab and got a leaf stuck to my foot

god knows how you do it everyday !
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:09 - Jan 14 with 1528 viewskensalriser

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:13 - Jan 14 by enfieldargh

SAxbend guy has nothing on Rob Bredl (Barefoot Bushman). The only Brown Snakes you'll find on the Uxbridge Road come out of a Staff or the back of an Ethiopian restaurant

I can't fathom why anyone would willingly walk barefoot in London but each to his own.

You don't have to fathom it seeing as there are numerous and lengthy explanations on this very thread!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:10 - Jan 14 with 1527 viewssmegma

Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:08 - Jan 13 by willis1980

In southfields you see barefoot individuals quite frequently, however, these are south africans. its quite common for afrikaans people to walk around barefoot both here and in south africa.

my missus had 2 people in her class at pretoria uni who were doing a masters that turned up without shoes on everyday.

i summer ill walk down the cornershop to buy milk without shoes on but im not sure how keen id be do it much further although i have done on occassion

I've worked in southfields for 15 years and never see anyone barefoot. Plenty of antipodean blokes in flipflop s and the woman with the net thing covering her face and head though.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:11 - Jan 14 with 1521 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:06 - Jan 14 by Rangersw12

I went out with no shoes/socks on yesterday to put the rubbish out in the 10/20 steps I had taken I had trodden on 4 stones ( 1 big bloody hurt) , nearly slipped the paving slab and got a leaf stuck to my foot

god knows how you do it everyday !

:) Stones hurt me at first. But eventually you stop feeling it as pain and just feel it as "oh, there's a stone underneath me". It's like the daylight analogy I made earlier, or working your way up to hotter curries if you like.

When I was out in Boston I noticed the people I was with were finding the icy pavement very slippery. It turned out it was because of the shoes, and I'd been used to gripping the pavement so easily.

I promise it gets easier, but only if you actually want to do it enough to keep at it. I found getting hot and sweaty inside shoes, even ones that fit comfortably unpleasant enough to rather stick it out with the stones until they didn't hurt any more.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:32 - Jan 14 with 1487 viewsFredManRave

Is it true that you do this because you don't know how to tie laces?

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:37 - Jan 14 with 1468 viewssmegma

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:32 - Jan 14 by FredManRave

Is it true that you do this because you don't know how to tie laces?

Or use velcro
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:51 - Jan 14 with 1446 viewstribalr

Used to go barefoot alot when I lived in the country not to the same scale as yourself. But now living in London it just doesn't seem safe, in my own opinion but reading your informed discussion it does show how unnecessary shoes are. I'm in total support and hopefully no Die Hard, John McClane, Nakatomi Plaza broken glass event befall you.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:22 - Jan 14 with 1412 viewsSuffolkHoop

Fair enough, where in LR do you sit? Never noticed you there before..
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:24 - Jan 14 with 1401 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:22 - Jan 14 by SuffolkHoop

Fair enough, where in LR do you sit? Never noticed you there before..

I was in the Lower Loft for a long time - had been going with my dad and his long term school mate since I was a child. That should qualify as a family group (even though we're all full paying adults now), but not according to Phil Beard. So since last season we've moved to R Block.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:25 - Jan 14 with 1395 viewsSuffolkHoop

Ahhh. Us in SAR rarely mix with that motley crew.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:35 - Jan 14 with 1378 viewstoboboly

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:49 - Jan 14 by Northernr

This.

Some pricks were making anti-semitic comments about Benayoun at the start of the Ipswich game, not sure who they were. And the lot that stream to the back looking for a punch up from anyone that'll give them the time of day are embarrassing.

I'd rather a dude got on with his life not hurting anyone by not wearing shoes that being a prick at the football.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:40 - Jan 14 with 1375 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:35 - Jan 14 by toboboly

This.

Some pricks were making anti-semitic comments about Benayoun at the start of the Ipswich game, not sure who they were. And the lot that stream to the back looking for a punch up from anyone that'll give them the time of day are embarrassing.

I'd rather a dude got on with his life not hurting anyone by not wearing shoes that being a prick at the football.

To me, far worse were the idiots singing about the prostitute murders. They tried to get it going in the concourse before the game, and then made another shortlived attempt which thankfully didn't catch on a few rows behind me during it.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 20:00 - Jan 14 with 1290 viewsAntti_Heinola

Did my eyes deceive me? on 00:26 - Jan 13 by saxbend

Attention seeking and mentalist are both accurate, though perhaps not for the reasons you have in mind. You do have to be a little bit "special" to be able to be yourself and not care that it's different enough to most people to single you out and invite constant scrutiny, judgement and curiosity. So I will acknowledge the lunatic label but point out I'm nonetheless quite harmless.

Attention in these videos is certainly sought, but the reason for it is not merely to stroke my own ego, but to bring visibility to what I do in order that over time it becomes less surprising to as many people as possible enabling me and anyone else so inclined to carry on making a choice that I hope will one day be seen to be as inconsequential as the cotton:polyester ratio of a person's clothing. My aim is to demonstrate that it is far easier than most people would believe to go barefoot anywhere, and honestly if I found it anything but pleasant, considering how much attention it draws, I would stop doing it.

That also applies to the youtube channel. If I felt at all uncomfortable
being discussed and evaluated, or having any kind of banter flying around I wouldn't put myself out there so publicly. I welcome any questions people ask, and my responses to them have improved and become more fluent over years of experience. It all serves my aim to demonstrate that what I do needn't be so shocking or puzzling in order that those who see the scrutiny and judgement as too high a price to trying it out themselves need not let that be a barrier to an otherwise sufficient inclination not to wear shoes.

So I'll be happy to answer any questions and equally happy for you to carry on making any other comments that spring to mind, either on here or on matchdays.

Enjoy the post win buzz for the week. :)

good on you mate. some people can't help but sneer, sadly.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024