Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did my eyes deceive me? 19:56 - Jan 12 with 22646 viewsSuffolkHoop

Or did I see a Rangers fans with no shoes on waking on Portman Road yesterday? WTF
Did my eyes deceive me? on 10:05 - Jan 13 with 3439 viewsmakaveli1882

Did my eyes deceive me? on 00:26 - Jan 13 by saxbend

Attention seeking and mentalist are both accurate, though perhaps not for the reasons you have in mind. You do have to be a little bit "special" to be able to be yourself and not care that it's different enough to most people to single you out and invite constant scrutiny, judgement and curiosity. So I will acknowledge the lunatic label but point out I'm nonetheless quite harmless.

Attention in these videos is certainly sought, but the reason for it is not merely to stroke my own ego, but to bring visibility to what I do in order that over time it becomes less surprising to as many people as possible enabling me and anyone else so inclined to carry on making a choice that I hope will one day be seen to be as inconsequential as the cotton:polyester ratio of a person's clothing. My aim is to demonstrate that it is far easier than most people would believe to go barefoot anywhere, and honestly if I found it anything but pleasant, considering how much attention it draws, I would stop doing it.

That also applies to the youtube channel. If I felt at all uncomfortable
being discussed and evaluated, or having any kind of banter flying around I wouldn't put myself out there so publicly. I welcome any questions people ask, and my responses to them have improved and become more fluent over years of experience. It all serves my aim to demonstrate that what I do needn't be so shocking or puzzling in order that those who see the scrutiny and judgement as too high a price to trying it out themselves need not let that be a barrier to an otherwise sufficient inclination not to wear shoes.

So I'll be happy to answer any questions and equally happy for you to carry on making any other comments that spring to mind, either on here or on matchdays.

Enjoy the post win buzz for the week. :)

So I'll be happy to answer any questions

My question is ...Have you ever seen a vagina??
Did my eyes deceive me? on 10:09 - Jan 13 with 3422 viewssimmo

How do you feel about walking through piss?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Did my eyes deceive me? on 10:10 - Jan 13 with 3417 viewsMetallica_Hoop

To be fair walking around barefoot is more natural than wondering around with a triangle on your head. (anyone seen that guy? I have while having a smoke outstide the Chandos)

Trainers are bad for you.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Did my eyes deceive me? on 11:26 - Jan 13 with 3372 viewssaxbend

I've only used the coach twice this season. Yeovil and Everton. I heard the announcement about filming on the coach to Everton. I'm not sure if they made that for me or it was a coincidence, but the only thing I wanted to record from inside the coach was a few shots looking out the window, so it was no loss. They said something about the Privacy Act.I don't know the Privacy Act at all, but I might speculate that while there's nothing to stop you recording in public, the inside of a hired coach does not count as a public space (though public transport certainly does).

The policeman came and had a chat, satisfied himself that I wasn't an escaped lunatic (me having a ticket for the game not having been enough of a clue it seems) and then left again. I found it interesting that he said it wasn't that I was barefoot per se, but that I was barefoot in January that got his attention.

Yes, I've seen a vagina and I know how to act when I do.

I'm not that bothered about piss. I don't seek it out and would walk around any significant puddles of it, but I know that skin is waterproof, urine is sterile, it's only a matter of however many steps it takes before the friction with the ground wipes it off and other dirt and liquid displaces whatever I've stepped in before, and that it all comes off in the shower soon enough. So no, my feet never smell of piss (nor of much else, especially not the odour that results from sweating into shoes), and I've never picked up any diseases or infections from going barefoot.

Incidentally, on the subject of diseases and infections, shoes provide a warm moist environment that microbes love, so you'll be far more likely to get warts or athlete's foot wearing shoes, because even though my feet come into contact with more things and get much dirtier, it's not the same dirt for very long, as it constantly gets brushed off and replaced, so microbes don't get a chance to take hold, and don't get the ideal environment that shoes provide. Plus the skin on my feet is much thicker and healthier so there are fewer weak spots to be attacked.

By the way, I've been called a hobbit often enough and I honestly don't mind it. The description is accurate enough, with the exception that pretty much anyone has the potential to do what I do. You don't have to be a member of a specially adapted species to handle walking barefoot over rough ground. Human evolution has equipped us all well enough as long as you built up your strength with practice.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2014 11:30]
Did my eyes deceive me? on 11:38 - Jan 13 with 3345 viewsGloucs_R

I still dont get it!

Poll: Are we staying up?

Did my eyes deceive me? on 11:59 - Jan 13 with 3326 viewsJonDoeman

Did my eyes deceive me? on 22:18 - Jan 12 by DieByYourSide

Must be quite a sight walking round with no shoes on in a replica QPR shirt filming himself all day

I've got a bigger problem with the Jazz than the feet!! Musical w@nking.

It Is What It Is !!

Did my eyes deceive me? on 12:11 - Jan 13 with 3303 viewsRs_Holy

Did my eyes deceive me? on 11:59 - Jan 13 by JonDoeman

well I'm going to buck the trend a bit and say I like these vid's.... then again I like watching any vid's about Rangers fans match day experiences..... and as for the Bare Foot Man himself...Each to their own!...
Did my eyes deceive me? on 12:12 - Jan 13 with 3300 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 11:59 - Jan 13 by JonDoeman

No defence there m'lud. All I can say to that is rather than being a lone nutter I'm in a group of nutters and can appeal to justification by numbers on that front. :)

I do all my own music on these videos. Some of it is songs I've written for my bands album, but mostly it's stuff I've quickly put together at home.
Login to get fewer ads

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:17 - Jan 13 with 3223 viewsJonDoeman

Did my eyes deceive me? on 12:12 - Jan 13 by saxbend

No defence there m'lud. All I can say to that is rather than being a lone nutter I'm in a group of nutters and can appeal to justification by numbers on that front. :)

I do all my own music on these videos. Some of it is songs I've written for my bands album, but mostly it's stuff I've quickly put together at home.

Cool Ben. Keep posting mate.
That was a good away day, shoes or no shoes eh!!

It Is What It Is !!

Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:27 - Jan 13 with 3207 viewsToast_R

So when walking into of grounds in large queues shoulder to shoulder etc eg, upper loft entrance at 5 minutes to 3pm on a match day....are you afraid that somone is going to annialate your foot with their size 12's?

That got to hurt and can easily cause injury no matter how hardened you are to the environment?

That would be my biggest fear but to be fair my feet are as soft as sh*t and I would struggle to wade in for a paddle at Bournemouth beach without my flip flops.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 14:32 - Jan 13 with 3196 viewssaxbend

How often do you get trodden on, even with shoes on? It happens to me about once a season at most, and ten minutes later I forget about it. It's the most minor of nuisances. Even in a dense crowd, feet tend not to occupy the same space on the ground. I can react to air movement that I can feel around me, which helps a lot, but what helps most is my fat bastard belly that acts as a buffer. :)
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:04 - Jan 13 with 3166 viewskensalriser

No chillblains then?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:07 - Jan 13 with 3161 viewsBlackCrowe

You must step in dog muck occasionally though? everyone does for gods sake. Nightmare scenario.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:10 - Jan 13 with 3152 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:04 - Jan 13 by kensalriser

No chillblains then?

Nope. As I say, I do this year round so keeping up with the gradual day to day change in temperature is surprisingly easy. :)
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:13 - Jan 13 with 3145 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:07 - Jan 13 by BlackCrowe

You must step in dog muck occasionally though? everyone does for gods sake. Nightmare scenario.

I may have done once. I then found a patch of grass to wipe it off, and made sure I had a shower as soon as I got home. But I pay more attention to where I step than most people, and most people are already in the habit of avoiding that stuff anyway.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:19 - Jan 13 with 3072 viewsboobishabang

Do you have a nice warm fluffy set of slippers waiting at home to warm the feet after a day out and about?
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:23 - Jan 13 with 3066 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:19 - Jan 13 by boobishabang

Do you have a nice warm fluffy set of slippers waiting at home to warm the feet after a day out and about?

Certainly not. Merely being indoors within a reasonably well insulated building is enough for my feet to warm up. I've always had warm hands and feet. Can be very useful at times, but it's a big part of the reason why I hate wearing shoes.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:24 - Jan 13 with 3063 viewsboobishabang

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:23 - Jan 13 by saxbend

Certainly not. Merely being indoors within a reasonably well insulated building is enough for my feet to warm up. I've always had warm hands and feet. Can be very useful at times, but it's a big part of the reason why I hate wearing shoes.

So what do you do with all the pairs of socks received as Christmas presents?!
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:28 - Jan 13 with 3059 viewssaxbend

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:24 - Jan 13 by boobishabang

So what do you do with all the pairs of socks received as Christmas presents?!

I don't know about you but I'm not lucky enough to be given presents by people who hardly know me. :)
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:30 - Jan 13 with 3054 viewsboobishabang

there's always an aunty or gran that gets you socks though no matter how many times you tell them not too!

How about in Work, your employers ok with the no shoe policy? i would be buggered as need to wear safety shoes in some of our labs and warehouse
Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:36 - Jan 13 with 3041 viewsBrianMcCarthy

What about sports? Do you wear boots when you're kicking ball? Or swimming?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Did my eyes deceive me? on 15:50 - Jan 13 with 3023 viewssaxbend

Most of my work I do on my own terms. I'm a freelance musician and tutor so I do a lot of playing and don't shoes for that, as well as composition/orchestration work that I do at home, and don't need them for that either, nor for meeting up with clients booking me to do jobs. I do some private tuition with clients who know me well so there's no need for shoes there either. Sometimes I go into schools so I do wear them for that, but we're talking about an hour or two a week at most.

As for sports, well I don't play a lot now. I used to do football, hockey and rugby at school. I injured my ankles then and that never came back to haunt me until much later. Then I injured one knee trying to learn how to ice skate and the other during an epileptic seizure and ever since then it's been really difficult for me to run without setting off an inflammation in one or more of those joints, which also is likely to happen if I ever trip up or stumble, so going barefoot certainly helps reduce the chances of that happening since I have much better balance, and I can use all of the sophisticated bone and muscle structure in the foot to its full potential.
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:07 - Jan 13 with 3009 viewsmakaveli1882

So I'll be happy to answer any questions

have you ever thought about applying to go on the undateables???

could help promote your music career
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:08 - Jan 13 with 3008 viewswillis1980

In southfields you see barefoot individuals quite frequently, however, these are south africans. its quite common for afrikaans people to walk around barefoot both here and in south africa.

my missus had 2 people in her class at pretoria uni who were doing a masters that turned up without shoes on everyday.

i summer ill walk down the cornershop to buy milk without shoes on but im not sure how keen id be do it much further although i have done on occassion
Did my eyes deceive me? on 16:10 - Jan 13 with 3003 viewsNeil_SI

Fair play to you. I think it's cool.

It must have taken some time to adjust to cold surfaces and weather though? I think I'd find that the hardest part if I were to try it.

I'm a long time Vibram Fivefingers user, in fact, I used them way before anybody really knew anything about them, and got some very strange looks and comments at the time. But they've grown more popular over the years, as has minimalist footwear or barefoot running in general.

I've not done barefoot running — but I've run a half marathon in my Vibrams and have friends who've managed marathon's, which must be gruelling, but it's also so satisfying at the same time.

It certainly increases the strength in your legs, and the feedback and sensation from being minimal is only something you can understand if you've tried it, and made some adjustments. It certainly helps with posture and other related issues, especially if you're a heel striker, which a lot of people are and that's not how your body is designed to work.

The first time I put my Vibrams on, I walked only a couple of hundred metres and got some blisters, so it does take some time for people to adjust.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024