Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans Finance Situation 10:42 - Dec 29 with 23411 viewsblaine_scfc

Chris Wathan just tweeted an article which may be of interest. Apologies if already been posted.

@ChrisWathan: Good analysis of the main figures from Swansea City's accounts by the ever-excellent @SwissRamble https://t.co/igZtpbLC9a
Swans Finance Situation on 10:49 - Dec 29 with 7793 viewsDr_Winston

Always worth a read is the Swiss Ramble.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swans Finance Situation on 10:50 - Dec 29 with 7781 viewswaynekerr55

Swiss Ramble is brilliant, fair play.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swans Finance Situation on 10:53 - Dec 29 with 7753 viewsjacabertawe

Most of that is way over my head but, from what I can understand, very interesting.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Swans Finance Situation on 10:58 - Dec 29 with 7700 viewswaynekerr55

Swans Finance Situation on 10:49 - Dec 29 by Dr_Winston

Always worth a read is the Swiss Ramble.

Begs the question - who gave our commercial team an award when only Crystal Palace were worse than us?

Swans Finance Situation on 11:06 - Dec 29 with 7639 viewsUxbridge

An excellent review in the main.

Most importantly it shows exactly where the club is now, the challenges it faces and the risks. Vigilance is important.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Swans Finance Situation on 11:08 - Dec 29 with 7625 viewsUxbridge

Swans Finance Situation on 10:58 - Dec 29 by waynekerr55

Begs the question - who gave our commercial team an award when only Crystal Palace were worse than us?

CP in 2013/14 was worse. WHo knows what their figures for 2014/15 will be.

Putting aside stadium capacity issues, commercial revenue is the major weak spot in the club's revenue stream. We should be doing massively better.

Swans Finance Situation on 11:08 - Dec 29 with 7619 viewsscottishjack

"What is striking is that no club in that top 30 has a higher reliance on TV money than Swansea, where a staggering 82% of their total revenue comes from broadcasting. That leaves only 11% from commercial activities and just 7% from match day income."

I don't know if that makes our climb from League 2 to the Prem without all these riches all the more staggering, or if the commercial department need a kick up the arse? Clearly match day revenue can't go much further without expanding the Liberty.
Swans Finance Situation on 11:13 - Dec 29 with 7583 viewsUxbridge

Swans Finance Situation on 11:08 - Dec 29 by scottishjack

"What is striking is that no club in that top 30 has a higher reliance on TV money than Swansea, where a staggering 82% of their total revenue comes from broadcasting. That leaves only 11% from commercial activities and just 7% from match day income."

I don't know if that makes our climb from League 2 to the Prem without all these riches all the more staggering, or if the commercial department need a kick up the arse? Clearly match day revenue can't go much further without expanding the Liberty.

TV is always going to be the big wedge. But yes, other areas clearly have room for improvement.

Login to get fewer ads

Swans Finance Situation on 11:14 - Dec 29 with 7572 viewsNeiltheTaylor

So we need to make £20M a year from player sales to stay out of the hole?

Not sure the boards "sustainable model" view is a sutainable model.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Swans Finance Situation on 11:16 - Dec 29 with 7558 viewsUxbridge

Swans Finance Situation on 11:14 - Dec 29 by NeiltheTaylor

It doesn't say that

Swans Finance Situation on 11:17 - Dec 29 with 7545 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Swans Finance Situation on 11:16 - Dec 29 by Uxbridge

It doesn't say that

OK great. What a relief...

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Swans Finance Situation on 11:43 - Dec 29 with 7404 viewsFlashberryjack

Swans Finance Situation on 11:08 - Dec 29 by scottishjack

The commercial department should be looking at tapping into the lucrative business of.... advertising local curry houses.......there must be £millions to be made.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Swans Finance Situation on 11:49 - Dec 29 with 7366 viewsAngelRangelQS

Is that saying we are £22m in debt?
Swans Finance Situation on 11:51 - Dec 29 with 7350 viewsKGriz16

I'm surprised we haven't tapped more into the Asian football market with Ki being one of our starting players.
Swans Finance Situation on 12:01 - Dec 29 with 7273 viewswaynekerr55

Swans Finance Situation on 11:08 - Dec 29 by Uxbridge

CP in 2013/14 was worse. WHo knows what their figures for 2014/15 will be.

Putting aside stadium capacity issues, commercial revenue is the major weak spot in the club's revenue stream. We should be doing massively better.

With respect, if we make appointments to the team based on family connections to the good old days at the vetch, then we reap what we sow.

That said, if you're not a 'brand' then you're pîssing into the wind. Add to the fact that Swansea itself is hardly booming in economical terms, which makes the correct appointments for maximising revenue even more critical

Swans Finance Situation on 12:06 - Dec 29 with 7235 viewsUxbridge

Swans Finance Situation on 12:01 - Dec 29 by waynekerr55

With respect, if we make appointments to the team based on family connections to the good old days at the vetch, then we reap what we sow.

That said, if you're not a 'brand' then you're pîssing into the wind. Add to the fact that Swansea itself is hardly booming in economical terms, which makes the correct appointments for maximising revenue even more critical

I suspect you're talking about low level appointments which, while symptomatic, are below the level of relevance here. I'm totally a fan of the right people doing the right job though. We should appoint based on competence and experience.

Location isn't a major factor here. The PL is the brand, and we were an attractive option when our football was attractive.

Swans Finance Situation on 12:12 - Dec 29 with 7182 viewsUxbridge

Swans Finance Situation on 11:49 - Dec 29 by AngelRangelQS

After three years of enjoying net funds (cash higher than debt), Swansea returned to a net debt position of £22 million in 2014/15, comprising gross debt of £25 million less £3 million cash. Gross debt comprised a £15 million overdraft, £8 million of other loans, £1 million owed to group undertakings plus £0.6 million of hire purchase contracts.

--------

Some of this can be explained by cash flow smoothing, bringing forward of transfer revenue etc. The main things to take away here is that money is tight and that as supporters we should be ensuring the club do not lose control of the finances.

Swans Finance Situation on 12:12 - Dec 29 with 7171 viewsmrrockin

My heart sinks when I read:

'Just tweeted'
Swans Finance Situation on 12:20 - Dec 29 with 7099 viewsTom1912

Swans Finance Situation on 11:49 - Dec 29 by AngelRangelQS

£25m debt offset by £2.5m in the bank.

I imagine it's mostly to manage cashflow. Although it's the first time the balance sheet has shown such a level since we've been in the PL, the change in accounting period has meant it now goes to the end of July with a 2 month period where we will have had to pay the player wages but had no match day revenue or TV payments coming in.

You get the Premier League payments in 2 big payments I believe and no one pays player transfers in a single installment. We'll have wages going out every month plus our own player signing installments to make and we wont necessarily have had the cash put into our bank account yet. So cashflow needs to be balanced with bank loans etc.
Swans Finance Situation on 12:25 - Dec 29 with 7064 viewsmonmouth

I can see why the Board are keen to sell out and cash in whilst the going is good. Even without the phenomenal one-off riches that it might bring, running this sort of business must be a bit of a nightmare.

Competing for an ever more expensive fixed pool of risky assets (players) with other, generally richer, speculators (clubs) and continuously looking for a marginal competitive advantage that can never really be sustained, knowing that eventually the chamber will have a bullet in it.

Add in 'customers' that can never be satisfied, always wanting to 'splash the cash' and 'move to the next level'.

On the upside of course, they have already enriched themselves beyond all human need, but from our supporter perpective we do routinely expect miracles don't we?
[Post edited 29 Dec 2015 13:13]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Swans Finance Situation on 13:02 - Dec 29 with 6860 viewstrampie

I hope director dividends don't become any issue and the commercial side needs to do more.

One important area is identifying players, we have been more successful than most in identifying players and managers, it would be great if we could keep that edge.

Improving infrastructure, stadium, training facilities, youth academies etc is the right way forward as is paying low wages with high bonuses.

Its been by and large a success story on and off the field the last decade or so lets hope it continues.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swans Finance Situation on 13:14 - Dec 29 with 6785 viewsblaine_scfc

The article was well over my head, so I was hoping to have an idiots guide to it off one of the brighter members, here are my questions...

What can the commercial department do to make us more sustainable? In terms of the Asian market with Ki, didn't Leigh Dineen say this was something of a myth, we sold less shirts there than anywhere else.

Stadium Expansion. The only phrases I picked up from reading this thread was £22 million in debt. How would the club afford for this work to take place? I know the return would offset whatever we paid in the long run, depending we stay in the premier league, but it's a big risk?
[Post edited 29 Dec 2015 13:14]
Swans Finance Situation on 13:20 - Dec 29 with 6735 viewsBorojack

Swans Finance Situation on 11:14 - Dec 29 by NeiltheTaylor

Are we likely to sell Gomis and Shelvey and replace with a couple of loan signings then.
Seems likely to me.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Swans Finance Situation on 13:25 - Dec 29 with 6691 viewstrampie

Swans Finance Situation on 13:20 - Dec 29 by Borojack

Are we likely to sell Gomis and Shelvey and replace with a couple of loan signings then.
Seems likely to me.

Lots of clubs like doing their major buying in the summer, couple that with we only currently have an interim manager and that others might pay quite a bit for Shelvey and Gomis, if we stay up then all well and good.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swans Finance Situation on 13:27 - Dec 29 with 6688 viewsHidden_Hand

I think we can kiss stadium expansion bye bye until we find investment?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024