Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salford City (A) Match Thread 10:12 - Feb 3 with 22146 viewsHullDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:34 - Feb 4 with 3215 views49thseason

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 17:37 - Feb 4 by rich_dale

Remain unconvinced Bentley knows what he's doing when it comes to formations and tactics. Always just a simple mantra of 'working hard' with no real idea of how to set a team up. No balance to the team and many different line ups tried. Actually think we'd be higher up if RS had stayed. Plus there's always the comment of just losing games by the odd goal - well, most football matches are lost by the odd goal. We're now in 1987 territory in terms of the turnaround that will be needed.

Just over a third of all matches result in a win by a single goal, 1-0 @16% 2-1 @ 15% 3-2 @ 4% our current rate of single goal defeats is nearer 50%
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:52 - Feb 4 with 3013 viewsblackdogblue

Statistics are great…

Here’s one… us not to go down.. 500-1 🤨

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:52 - Feb 4 with 3013 viewsRippDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:18 - Feb 4 by Hopwoodblue

If we get rid of Bentley it needs to be now whilst we still have an outside chance of staying up.
I’m convinced we could find a replacement from within, surely it can’t be any worse than what we are watching at the moment ?

But are we just kidding ourselves that anyone could save us with this squad? Is it better to save our money for next season?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:55 - Feb 4 with 2982 viewsDaleFan7

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:52 - Feb 4 by RippDale

But are we just kidding ourselves that anyone could save us with this squad? Is it better to save our money for next season?

This squad will struggle in the National League next year too. We need to try everything we can to stay up this year.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:59 - Feb 4 with 2938 viewsSaxonDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:28 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

Making the most of limited options:

O’Donnell
Keohane, Mullarkey, Bennett, Dodgson
Mellor, Diagouraga, Adshead/Brierley, Lloyd
Henderson, Quigley/Rodney.

Convinced the only chance we have to win games is to get some constant supply from the wings and get the ball in the box. There’s plenty of players in there we’d rather not have to play, but that’s where we are.

Generally agree with that but whilst Quigley was much better in the second half, he really underwhelmed first half. Dodgson supplied a great ball about 20 minutes in which really should’ve been attacked.

Worry I have is I think Stockdale was extended more leeway and patience due to Bottomley’s mess and I fear we might do the same with Bentley taking over from Stockdale’s. The Eastwood decision is costing us points and I can’t really make sense of it and as limited as the squad is I don’t know whether he’s getting the most out of them either individually or in terms of tactics. Also think we would’ve been left far too short in midfield had Brierley been allowed to leave in place for a striker- an injury to Adshead and we would’ve been back to relying on old faces.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:00 - Feb 4 with 2924 viewsHullDale

Just seen this doing the rounds on twitter:

STOCKDALE
P 50 / W 12 / D 17 / L 21 / GD -8
Win% - 24 / Loss% - 42

BENTLEY
P 23 / W 5 / D 4 / L 14 / GD -14
Win% - 21.7 / Loss% - 60.8

6 of the starting eleven today are Bentley signings, and 7 of the 18 man squad.

There is a decision to be made this week, if we can afford it... do we stick or twist?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:18 - Feb 4 with 2767 viewsJames1980

Is anyone seriously expecting that if by some miracle we stay up we will not have lost some matches on the way? Didn't Hill say after the great escape of 17/18 that he told the players we had a 12 game season iirc we lost some of those games and stayed up albeit by the skin of our teeth and thanks to that result at Northampton. Mathematically we do not need to win or draw every game to achieve safety.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:22 - Feb 4 with 2716 viewsChaffRAFC

I'm only posting this without seeing the highlights but in real time the first goal is a mix up between Max Taylor and Jake Eastwood. Max seems to leave it because he's expecting Eastwood to come and get it and I think Eastwood is expecting Max to clear it. Awful goal to concede. And the second is a shambles too but ultimately, the shot pretty much goes through Eastwood's hands.

The decision from Jim Bentley to drop our player of the season, Richard O'Donnell to bring in Jake Eastwood is beyond a disaster. O'Donnell didn't warrant dropping. Did he warrant some competition to keep him on his toes, yeah he did. But dropping him after a win away at Bradford was ridiculous and I said this at the time.

Eastwood will go down as one of the worst loan signings we've ever made if this continues and I actually feel sorry for him. We're in Magnus Norman territory now, only this time, it will be a big contributing factor to us being relegated from the football league for the first time in our history.

Colchester 1-2, clearly at fault for the last but the ball goes through his hands for the first as well. It's cost us a minimum of 1 point, I'd argue 3.

Hartlepool 0-2, the blame goes firmly on Ebanks-Landell but both goals see shots spilled by Eastwood. Could have had a point potentially.

Carlisle 0-1, the goal comes from a easy through ball and Eastwood is megged. Wont blame him for that but it's stoppable.

And today, has a negative impact in both goals. We lose the game. Cost us a minimum of 1 point.

Jim Bentley is forever saying it's fine lines costing us points. He's right but the goalkeeper situation has caused more than a few and it's absolutely on him.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Login to get fewer ads

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:24 - Feb 4 with 2687 viewsTrev

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:18 - Feb 4 by James1980

Is anyone seriously expecting that if by some miracle we stay up we will not have lost some matches on the way? Didn't Hill say after the great escape of 17/18 that he told the players we had a 12 game season iirc we lost some of those games and stayed up albeit by the skin of our teeth and thanks to that result at Northampton. Mathematically we do not need to win or draw every game to achieve safety.

Literally nobody is expecting that.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:30 - Feb 4 with 2606 viewsHullDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:18 - Feb 4 by James1980

We are bottom of the form table across the last 12 games.

In the last few weeks we have played teams in 17th, 19th, 21st and 22nd.

In our next 6, we play 4th, 1st, 23rd, 7th, 18th & 2nd.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:39 - Feb 4 with 2547 viewsEllDale

All I can say is that, if only five loan players per game is allowed, then picking Eastwood over Adshead is a joke.
Anyone know where poor old Ethan Brierley was today.?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:42 - Feb 4 with 2527 viewsleedsdale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:39 - Feb 4 by EllDale

All I can say is that, if only five loan players per game is allowed, then picking Eastwood over Adshead is a joke.
Anyone know where poor old Ethan Brierley was today.?

Adshead has a knock so that’s why he wasn’t picked.

Although clearly moving forward Eastwood needs dropping.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:46 - Feb 4 with 2512 viewsTomRAFC

I think Bentley is genuinely convinced that enough "new blood" and "fight" is what we need for our fortunes to turn. I'm not so convinced. We've brought some decent signings in, but we still need the right tactics to capitalise on what we've got.

We don't score enough, we don't keep clean sheets. When we do run around more and show energy we still don't look much closer to scoring or keeping clean sheets. I don't think we've been as close to getting points out of games as he believes.

The majority of the squad is really poor. None of them rank as the worst individuals I've ever seen, but collectively we're bloody awful.

I don't see the board sacking him after the transfer window. I'd like to see as many of these much talked about outgoings happen as possible, and for Jim to find a free agent midfield general. If he's completely fallen out with O'Donnell, then a keeper too.

With regards to Eastwood, Chaff has hit the nail on the head. Playing him is like a wilful step towards sacrificing our league status (Eastwood, not Chaff).

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:54 - Feb 4 with 2430 viewsNorthernDale

Today was the game that as all but sent us down, our overall performance was poor. I cannot see us getting out of it now, it would see a sudden transformation of the team. Bentley is appearing to be unable to change the system, which means our midfield is overrun by other teams and why wait to we are 2 down to make changes, it should have been sooner. I admire is loyalty to Eastwood, but the lad is hopeless and it makes we realise why before joining the Dale, he played only 2 games in 18 or so months.

I will give credit, Mullarkey played well, as did Taylor and Bennett, I have praised Seriki in the past, but today he was poor and he failed to defend the near post for the first goal, we may have been unfairly treated, in that the ref gave a corner when it clearly was not one. But the ref was so poor, i bet he could not wait to get Scholes and Butts autographs after the game.

The midfield was exposed as to lightweight once again and keohane played today like an headless chicken and Mellor another one was not in the game today, but I thought Hendo and Quigley played well in the second half, especially when Lloyd and Odoh came. But in the first half they did not get the ball, which was in part due to the poor performance overall. The free kick at the end summed up our performance, it was so weak, that their goalkeeper hardly had to move, why hit with power on the deck?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 20:22]
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:20 - Feb 4 with 2297 viewsNigelWatson

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:22 - Feb 4 by ChaffRAFC

I'm only posting this without seeing the highlights but in real time the first goal is a mix up between Max Taylor and Jake Eastwood. Max seems to leave it because he's expecting Eastwood to come and get it and I think Eastwood is expecting Max to clear it. Awful goal to concede. And the second is a shambles too but ultimately, the shot pretty much goes through Eastwood's hands.

The decision from Jim Bentley to drop our player of the season, Richard O'Donnell to bring in Jake Eastwood is beyond a disaster. O'Donnell didn't warrant dropping. Did he warrant some competition to keep him on his toes, yeah he did. But dropping him after a win away at Bradford was ridiculous and I said this at the time.

Eastwood will go down as one of the worst loan signings we've ever made if this continues and I actually feel sorry for him. We're in Magnus Norman territory now, only this time, it will be a big contributing factor to us being relegated from the football league for the first time in our history.

Colchester 1-2, clearly at fault for the last but the ball goes through his hands for the first as well. It's cost us a minimum of 1 point, I'd argue 3.

Hartlepool 0-2, the blame goes firmly on Ebanks-Landell but both goals see shots spilled by Eastwood. Could have had a point potentially.

Carlisle 0-1, the goal comes from a easy through ball and Eastwood is megged. Wont blame him for that but it's stoppable.

And today, has a negative impact in both goals. We lose the game. Cost us a minimum of 1 point.

Jim Bentley is forever saying it's fine lines costing us points. He's right but the goalkeeper situation has caused more than a few and it's absolutely on him.

All about ego.

Bentley can't drop Eastwood, because that would mean admitting that he made a mistake in dropping O'Donnell.

It's that simple.

But it's symptomatic of what's going wrong

Bentley either goes ASAP, or we get relegated, and in all probability, end up being liquidated.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:26 - Feb 4 with 2244 viewsDMR90

I heard at the Carlisle game that the club were trying to offload ROD due to his wages. Makes sense as to why he’s suddenly stopped playing
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:27 - Feb 4 with 2232 viewsJames1980

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:24 - Feb 4 by Trev

Literally nobody is expecting that.

Exactly

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:32 - Feb 4 with 2191 viewsEllDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:26 - Feb 4 by DMR90

I heard at the Carlisle game that the club were trying to offload ROD due to his wages. Makes sense as to why he’s suddenly stopped playing

If that’s true it hasn't happened.
So no reason to not reinstate him. Or sign an out of contract goalkeeper and send Eastwood back.
We all saw the difference Andy Lonergan made a few years ago.
Can we afford Kieran Westwood for example?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:35 - Feb 4 with 2164 viewssomdale

Apart from a top goalscorer, goalkeeper is the most important position for me, not to be messed with or taken lightly, this could be the costliest of errors from JB.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:37 - Feb 4 with 2139 views49thseason

We are only averaging 0.79 goals per game, everyone who scores against us is virtually guaranteed at least a point. the whole future of the club depends on scoring more goals, so we signed 2 centre halves, a goalkeeper, a full back, a midfielder and one forward. We lost a defender, a forward and 3 midfielders. we only have 4 genuine forwards plus Campbell.
If you sat down to scheme to deliberately get relegated, this would undoubtedly be one way of doing it.
I am unimpressed by Bentley, there is little about him that is, to me, likeable, no humour, no obvious guile, no recognisable plan or strategy. He may well have been Hobsons choice, but we might as well have saved some money and either kept Stockdale or installed McNulty as head coach and not bothered with a Manager, especially when there is little sign of actual Management of man or game.
If I thought we could afford it I would say thanks but no thanks and get rid now whilst a miracle is mathematically still possible.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:42 - Feb 4 with 2102 viewsSheffield_dale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:20 - Feb 4 by NigelWatson

All about ego.

Bentley can't drop Eastwood, because that would mean admitting that he made a mistake in dropping O'Donnell.

It's that simple.

But it's symptomatic of what's going wrong

Bentley either goes ASAP, or we get relegated, and in all probability, end up being liquidated.

I'm going to say it after a few drinks....then regret it, maybe.

Do we get Hill back... 🙈

Just to give a big boost of positivity to perform a miracle and stay up. if we are relegated so be it at least someone who knows the club inside out is there.

I've accepted relegation is where we are heading and I don't think Bentley will get us back up. Reset and build a style.

I'd take gradual structural improvement under Hill, over a period of say three years rather than this seemingly 'hot and hope' approach

I'll sober up soon
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:54 - Feb 4 with 1987 viewsDaleFan7

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:42 - Feb 4 by Sheffield_dale

I'm going to say it after a few drinks....then regret it, maybe.

Do we get Hill back... 🙈

Just to give a big boost of positivity to perform a miracle and stay up. if we are relegated so be it at least someone who knows the club inside out is there.

I've accepted relegation is where we are heading and I don't think Bentley will get us back up. Reset and build a style.

I'd take gradual structural improvement under Hill, over a period of say three years rather than this seemingly 'hot and hope' approach

I'll sober up soon

Bringing Hill back wouldn't breed positivity. It would completely split the fan base.

If he didn't get results he'd turn on the fans and players again and it would turn toxic again, even worse if we're going down to non-league.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:57 - Feb 4 with 1961 viewsEllDale

With the new signings and availability again of George I thought, or presumed, that Taylor would be one of those to make way.
Looking at the highlights he could have been culpable for both goals.
Certainly Bennett didn’t look happy with him and/or Eastwood immediately after the second goal.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 21:00 - Feb 4 with 1936 views442Dale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:54 - Feb 4 by DaleFan7

Bringing Hill back wouldn't breed positivity. It would completely split the fan base.

If he didn't get results he'd turn on the fans and players again and it would turn toxic again, even worse if we're going down to non-league.

Whereas there are positives and negatives about something that’s merely a discussion point for now, you’d think all fans would back any manager who may or may not take over in the future. It’d only become toxic if fans didn’t give them a chance and held negative opinion/grudges without putting the club first.

Bentley wouldn’t have been many people’s choice, same with Eyre/Hill the second time/Parkin v.2 etc, but we all rightfully gave them a chance.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 21:32 - Feb 4 with 1786 views_Windydale

Max taylor could have done a whole lot better for both goals. He cost us the points today.

he could have gone in and cleared the first one out of the ground.

The 2nd he was close to the action, he could have again attacked the ball and put a block in instead of turning is back. We need more bravery in front of goal from him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024