Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salford City (A) Match Thread 10:12 - Feb 3 with 22145 viewsHullDale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 17:38 - Feb 5 with 2864 viewsBrierls

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 17:13 - Feb 5 by James1980

Thinking we could bring in Hill on a contract where he is only paid if we win or draw with a hefty bonus if he keeps us up.

Probably best to stop thinking if that’s the output.
Salford City (A) Match Thread (n/t) on 17:41 - Feb 5 with 2843 viewsBrierls

Salford City (A) Match Thread (n/t) on 17:18 - Feb 5 by _Stefan_Kuntz

O’Donnell will stop sod all standing in as wide a position as that. He needs to be near to the middle.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 17:27]

Eastwood-esque positioning!
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 17:51 - Feb 5 with 2799 viewsBrierls

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 18:28 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

Making the most of limited options:

O’Donnell
Keohane, Mullarkey, Bennett, Dodgson
Mellor, Diagouraga, Adshead/Brierley, Lloyd
Henderson, Quigley/Rodney.

Convinced the only chance we have to win games is to get some constant supply from the wings and get the ball in the box. There’s plenty of players in there we’d rather not have to play, but that’s where we are.

Living up to your username but I can’t disagree.

After years of people asking for Keohane in midfield, I think we can scratch that idea now. He’s been so dreadful I’m not sure I’d play him at right back ahead of Seriki.

It beggars belief how poor our midfield is. Kelly is absolutely useless at the moment, it’s like having a toddler in midfield. He got absolutely schooled by Galbraith yesterday, who isn’t exactly a big lad but he had heart and ability. Ball didn’t even get on the pitch, rightly so, hopefully we’ve seen the last of him too.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 19:57 - Feb 5 with 2593 viewsCedar_Room

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 17:51 - Feb 5 by Brierls

Living up to your username but I can’t disagree.

After years of people asking for Keohane in midfield, I think we can scratch that idea now. He’s been so dreadful I’m not sure I’d play him at right back ahead of Seriki.

It beggars belief how poor our midfield is. Kelly is absolutely useless at the moment, it’s like having a toddler in midfield. He got absolutely schooled by Galbraith yesterday, who isn’t exactly a big lad but he had heart and ability. Ball didn’t even get on the pitch, rightly so, hopefully we’ve seen the last of him too.

Wondered about Mullarkey being used in midfield given the lack of options there at present? I was surprised yesterday how comfortable he was on the ball and how many runs forward he made. He looked someone ideally suited to a defensive midfield role to me.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:09 - Feb 5 with 2559 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 23:37 - Feb 4 by 442Dale

Does your abusive description include defenders Bennett and Mullarkey who made their debuts today? The on-loan Dodgson who was making his second appearance?

There’s nothing wrong with pulling up players who are continually falling short of the efforts we expect, but that sort of comment is falling short in supporting them to somehow avoid relegation. Obviously, only my opinion.

Hold up, I did say "week in week out" so no, this is not a comment on yesterday's display in isolation, merely a reflection on numerous chaotic defensive shows all season. We've all seen them, do you not look skywards when the opposition hit us yet again on a corner?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:12 - Feb 5 with 2544 views442Dale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 20:09 - Feb 5 by Yorkshire_Dale

Hold up, I did say "week in week out" so no, this is not a comment on yesterday's display in isolation, merely a reflection on numerous chaotic defensive shows all season. We've all seen them, do you not look skywards when the opposition hit us yet again on a corner?

Yes.

The post was reflecting on the choice of language in response to our defensive deficiencies with a query whether it could be attributed to the new signings.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Salford City (A) Match Thread (n/t) on 21:05 - Feb 5 with 2432 viewsBillyRudd

Salford City (A) Match Thread (n/t) on 17:18 - Feb 5 by _Stefan_Kuntz

O’Donnell will stop sod all standing in as wide a position as that. He needs to be near to the middle.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 17:27]

He does have previous on two occasions but it was to the right.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 14:57 - Feb 6 with 2077 viewsAtThePeake

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 00:13 - Feb 5 by Shun

We have the second worst defence in the league, and the third worst attack. Everywhere across the squad needed strengthening last month. Let’s not pretend that a forward was the one glaring thing needed to fix this broken squad.

People will always say a forward will fix things. People genuinely said the same when we were relegated from L1 despite us scoring 61 goals that season, more than 3rd-placed Blackpool.

You can have all the forwards in the world but they won't score many goals if you can't supply them chances and this squad has been desperately lacking in creativity all season. As much as everyone thought O'Keeffe was terrible after January, he got 10 assists last season. Currently topping our assist charts with a whopping three is Liam Kelly. Only three other players have managed to get 2. O'Keeffe, Newby, Morley & Beesley managed more assists between them last season than our entire squad have managed so far in this season - and two of them left in January.

Tangled up in blue.

Login to get fewer ads

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 15:49 - Feb 6 with 1929 views49thseason

Fair comment ATP, I don't think another forward would have been a waste of money, especially in Campbell isn't going to feature, but as you say someone needs to create chances. That O'keeffe managed 10 assists points to the use of genuine wingers and yet Lloyd has been pushed into midfield where his pace counts for less and the crosses don't happen. one way or another we need to get crosses into opponents penalty areas or there is little point to Quigley , if he can create some chaos, Henderson will play Johnny-on-the-spot all day.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 23:40 - Feb 6 with 1646 viewsSandyman

"As much as everyone thought O'Keeffe was terrible after January, he got 10 assists last season."

Odoh has 0 assists in over 70 games, yet he still is called upon. Why?
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 09:47 - Feb 7 with 1449 viewsAtThePeake

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 23:40 - Feb 6 by Sandyman

"As much as everyone thought O'Keeffe was terrible after January, he got 10 assists last season."

Odoh has 0 assists in over 70 games, yet he still is called upon. Why?

I said this at the game on Saturday - it's now been 72 games since Odoh's last assist, which came in his second game for us - a dead rubber at Milton Keynes.

I suspect it's impossible to know, but I wonder if any player has ever gone 72 games as a winger/wing-back in the EFL without registering an assist? It's a remarkable record.

Tangled up in blue.

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 09:59 - Feb 7 with 1415 viewsJames1980

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 09:47 - Feb 7 by AtThePeake

I said this at the game on Saturday - it's now been 72 games since Odoh's last assist, which came in his second game for us - a dead rubber at Milton Keynes.

I suspect it's impossible to know, but I wonder if any player has ever gone 72 games as a winger/wing-back in the EFL without registering an assist? It's a remarkable record.

Bizarre that he is picked so consistently based on these statistics, perhaps he is prolific in training or maybe it is a financial decision based on the amount he gets for his appearance bonus.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 10:35 - Feb 7 with 1358 viewsAtThePeake

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 09:59 - Feb 7 by James1980

Bizarre that he is picked so consistently based on these statistics, perhaps he is prolific in training or maybe it is a financial decision based on the amount he gets for his appearance bonus.

I think, this season especially, it's mostly been down to the lack of options we have in those wide positions. Stockdale built a squad to play 3-5-2 but was sacked 5 games into the season. Bentley immediately reverted to a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 but we didn't really have any natural wingers in the squad so Odoh had to play out of necessity really.

Tangled up in blue.

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 10:45 - Feb 7 with 1324 viewssurb_dale

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 09:59 - Feb 7 by James1980

The frustrating thing with Odoh is he can quite easily beat a man with quick feet and low centre of gravity. He needs to be coached/told to get in wide areas and just swing in crosses into the box rather than try and retain possession. Maybe he is told this but just doesn't do it in match situations but other players are also often guilty of not crossing given the opportunity. Which leads me to think its coming from the management with poor coaching and tactics. And maybe better coaching/tactics could get more out of him?

Recall the Barrow away game where we had 0 shots on target but also 0 successful crosses. Pretty pathetic in a game of 90 mins plus.
Salford City (A) Match Thread on 15:07 - Feb 7 with 1095 viewsBillyRudd

Salford City (A) Match Thread on 10:45 - Feb 7 by surb_dale

The frustrating thing with Odoh is he can quite easily beat a man with quick feet and low centre of gravity. He needs to be coached/told to get in wide areas and just swing in crosses into the box rather than try and retain possession. Maybe he is told this but just doesn't do it in match situations but other players are also often guilty of not crossing given the opportunity. Which leads me to think its coming from the management with poor coaching and tactics. And maybe better coaching/tactics could get more out of him?

Recall the Barrow away game where we had 0 shots on target but also 0 successful crosses. Pretty pathetic in a game of 90 mins plus.

Completely agree about Odoh. He would be a far better player if he could find the football brain to beat his man, lay it off, and pick up the return. Repeatedly running into cul de sacs until losing possession is surely something that can be coached out of him.
Coupled with the fact (not just Odoh) that any crosses that do find their way over, is usually after they have spent an age faffing about with it in the corner. You might as well say " let their defence get organised and then we will float a cross over".
A genuine question . Allowing for a particular opposition, what is our plan for games?
I just don,t see any discernible style of play that often repeats because playing as a team, players know where teammates are likely to be. Pass (forward) and move at pace and you don,t need the Hollywood ball or rely on penalties. You pull defences out of shape and gaps eventually appear.
You can,t help but warm to Bentley for his passion but the biggest mistake by far of his tenure, assuming we don,t know the full circumstances of Eastwoods selection, has been not playing the winning team at Bradford for the next game. Winning becomes a habit when players play in a position they are comfortable with, to a clear plan and without fear. Am hoping that the post January squad can get us there but it needs to be damn quick.
I repeat. What is our style of play?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2023 19:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024