Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loftus Road renovation/revamp 13:14 - Sep 20 with 94695 viewsQPRConor2000

Given the news we heard this week from Ruben that LR is now more likely to be redeveloped over a new stadium, I wanted to open up a specific thread for it.

Any ideas on how we can improve LR.

NOTE: Serious ideas only.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:52 - Sep 1 with 5167 viewsHoopsie

Hypothetically, if Loftus Road is revamped, culminating in a smaller capacity stadium say 17,000 tops, seats with spacious leg room fit for Madsen, no views blocked or restricted from any one seat, more safe standing stands added, water pressure and sound system fixed, toilets state of the art - even the food and beers upgraded - leading to a very much improved experience and enhanced atmosphere, would you pay double or triple for your (season) tickets?

PS - digged down or not notwithstanding

Poll: Isaac Hayden - Yes or No?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:49 - Sep 1 with 5038 viewsLandshark

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 00:52 - Sep 1 by Hoopsie

Hypothetically, if Loftus Road is revamped, culminating in a smaller capacity stadium say 17,000 tops, seats with spacious leg room fit for Madsen, no views blocked or restricted from any one seat, more safe standing stands added, water pressure and sound system fixed, toilets state of the art - even the food and beers upgraded - leading to a very much improved experience and enhanced atmosphere, would you pay double or triple for your (season) tickets?

PS - digged down or not notwithstanding

How's it possible to dig down at Loftus Road? The stands are already super close to the pitch compared to other stadiums. Wouldn't digging down make the pitch smaller?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:39 - Sep 1 with 4690 viewsRs_Holy

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:49 - Sep 1 by Landshark

How's it possible to dig down at Loftus Road? The stands are already super close to the pitch compared to other stadiums. Wouldn't digging down make the pitch smaller?

Er yes…. We have been over the ‘dig down’ issue sooooo many times but peeps still don’t seem to get it?!
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:53 - Sep 1 with 4202 viewsSonofpugwash

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:39 - Sep 1 by Rs_Holy

Er yes…. We have been over the ‘dig down’ issue sooooo many times but peeps still don’t seem to get it?!

It would be easier to shrink down the crowd to holographic avatars and put them into a virtual LR.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:26 - Sep 1 with 4115 viewskensalriser

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:39 - Sep 1 by Rs_Holy

This point has indeed been the most hilarious throughout. Obviously Clive is correct about the water table, but simple physics prevent the idea from even getting that far - go down and you either have an illegally small pitch or a very large open-roofed squash court.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:39 - Sep 1 with 4041 viewsBoston

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:40 - Aug 30 by Juzzie

I don't think you need more match-day corporate seats, that'll just kill the regular seating capacity though we do need to increase the number of sit-down-at-tables where people eat before/after the game.

The biggest thing is to be able to use the stadium on non match days which, let's face it, is 70% of the year. Some 250 days.

OK Oasis, 14 nights on the bounce it is.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:36 - Sep 2 with 3334 viewskernowhoop

Conor, you will have to decide whether this meets the criterion of being a 'serious' idea.

In an era when the use of AI is increasing and robots already deliver food in a restaurant (on TV recently) the future for Loftus Road may look like this.

No human spectators at all. 18,300 animated dummies filling the stadium (during and between matches). Super new sound system to provide un-matched crowd noise, synchronised by AI to what is happening on the pitch. New camera facilities and a state-of-the-art QPR TV channel for the thousands (could become millions?) of QPR fans to watch from wherever they are in the world.

No need to dig down. No need to buy up all the property in the vicinity of the stadium. No need to improve the Ellerslie Road lavatories. No bill for policing and stewarding. Fans pay a subscription, but save on travel. A 'boutique' club for the 21st century?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:43 - Sep 2 with 3275 viewshubble

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:13 - Aug 30 by ActonExile

If you look at Google maps it seems this is the only viable option, the council might be persuaded to truncate SAF or make it a single lane Buses only between Bloemfontein and Batman and the ground could move far enough north to allow for a new School end stand to get past Imrie be full width.

I'm not sure making Sir Alex Ferguson any shorter would make much difference, although perhaps his Fergie time ghost still haunts the ground.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Login to get fewer ads

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:59 - Sep 2 with 3044 viewsqprninja

Realistically I think the only way QPR redevelop LR or build a new stadium in that immediate area is part of a major re-devlelopment of the entire White City estate/area. Which is probably decades away. Such a frustrating shame as the whole area is booming.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:08 - Sep 2 with 2983 viewsPhildo

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 01:49 - Sep 1 by Landshark

The plan is to get down to the central line for direct entry below the stadium. Then reclining seats under the see through pitch to watch from below.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:33 - Sep 2 with 2789 viewsderbyhoop

I'm surprised that there is so little recognition of the main barrier to renovation. LR is on a tiny, cramped site. Any suggestions about expanding the footprint need to understand how costly that would be. As a consequence the shareholders and any potential developers would struggle to deliver a cost effective improvement.

I'd love to see us in a modern, 25000+ stadium and, as long as it is accessible, I'm not fussed about staying in W12.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:43 - Sep 2 with 2741 viewsGloucs_R

Bit old but ... https://calfordseaden.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road/

https://www.michaeldrain.com/project/qpr-stadium-loftus-road#3

Poll: Are we staying up?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:47 - Sep 2 with 2716 viewsSpongeParr

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 12:59 - Sep 2 by qprninja

Realistically I think the only way QPR redevelop LR or build a new stadium in that immediate area is part of a major re-devlelopment of the entire White City estate/area. Which is probably decades away. Such a frustrating shame as the whole area is booming.

It has been included in the regeneration of the area.

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/planning/regeneration-transforming-our-borough/white-cit
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:10 - Sep 2 with 2591 viewsDiggertheMole

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 09:36 - Sep 2 by kernowhoop

Conor, you will have to decide whether this meets the criterion of being a 'serious' idea.

In an era when the use of AI is increasing and robots already deliver food in a restaurant (on TV recently) the future for Loftus Road may look like this.

No human spectators at all. 18,300 animated dummies filling the stadium (during and between matches). Super new sound system to provide un-matched crowd noise, synchronised by AI to what is happening on the pitch. New camera facilities and a state-of-the-art QPR TV channel for the thousands (could become millions?) of QPR fans to watch from wherever they are in the world.

No need to dig down. No need to buy up all the property in the vicinity of the stadium. No need to improve the Ellerslie Road lavatories. No bill for policing and stewarding. Fans pay a subscription, but save on travel. A 'boutique' club for the 21st century?

Or we could decamp to the Mennaye Field with lots of space to develop a huge ground and share with the Pirates as they overtake Exeter. Penzance needs a big club (even us!).
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 2 with 2467 viewsdutch

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:33 - Sep 2 by derbyhoop

I'm surprised that there is so little recognition of the main barrier to renovation. LR is on a tiny, cramped site. Any suggestions about expanding the footprint need to understand how costly that would be. As a consequence the shareholders and any potential developers would struggle to deliver a cost effective improvement.

I'd love to see us in a modern, 25000+ stadium and, as long as it is accessible, I'm not fussed about staying in W12.

And I feel exactly the opposite. I would no more want to watch Rangers regularly in Perivale or Park Royal, than I would in Derby or Dundee. We are an inner London club. 15000 in W12 or 11 or 10 beats 25000 in the boondocks. Our home our history our heritage and our USP is all about location.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:50 - Sep 2 with 2362 viewsLanhoop

Let's assume that some smart architect can design what we mostly seem to want. A QPR-style stadium for 15-20k with no restricted views, more usable facilities outside of football and it fits on approximately the current footprint.

Where are you happy for us to groundshare for the 12-18 months of the building project?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:54 - Sep 2 with 2348 viewsdutch

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:50 - Sep 2 by Lanhoop

Let's assume that some smart architect can design what we mostly seem to want. A QPR-style stadium for 15-20k with no restricted views, more usable facilities outside of football and it fits on approximately the current footprint.

Where are you happy for us to groundshare for the 12-18 months of the building project?

Yes
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:06 - Sep 2 with 2254 viewslassel

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:50 - Sep 2 by Lanhoop

Asking the obvious question maybe but who is going to pay for that?

It certainly won’t Rubinho, his end goal is to get out as painlessly as possible, in his dream scenario a promotion and then sale.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:07 - Sep 2 with 2265 viewsdutch

A myth has developed that we could not build a better, more modern, more flexible stadium on the current site and that simply is not true. Forget digging down or any of the other nonsense, the current layout can undoubtedly be improved. Whether we consider it financially viable is a different matter, but the current owners seem prepared to loose millions keeping things as they are, why would they not invest in making them better?
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:34 - Sep 2 with 2108 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:07 - Sep 2 by dutch

A myth has developed that we could not build a better, more modern, more flexible stadium on the current site and that simply is not true. Forget digging down or any of the other nonsense, the current layout can undoubtedly be improved. Whether we consider it financially viable is a different matter, but the current owners seem prepared to loose millions keeping things as they are, why would they not invest in making them better?

Because they won't see a return on the additional investment. Unless you build a larger stadium with state of the art facilities it won't generate any substantial additional revenue.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:01 - Sep 2 with 2028 viewsJuzzie

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 15:07 - Sep 2 by dutch

It's not a myth but it would mean a severely limited capacity, probably circa 17k which in reality would yield max. 16,500 attendances. This is the sticking point I believe.
Whilst we're not a big club we are certainly not small but a 20-23/25k stadium is not unreasonable for us but just can't happen at LR.

It's a round peg/square hole problem.
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:45 - Sep 2 with 1906 viewsderbyhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 2 by dutch

And I feel exactly the opposite. I would no more want to watch Rangers regularly in Perivale or Park Royal, than I would in Derby or Dundee. We are an inner London club. 15000 in W12 or 11 or 10 beats 25000 in the boondocks. Our home our history our heritage and our USP is all about location.

Perivale and Park Royal are hardly the boondocks. In fact, one of our previous grounds was Park Royal.
The lack of nearby amenities would be an issue, initially. For preference, we should say in LBHF, but any available site, if any, are likely to have similar downsides.

IMHO, QPR won't move from LR in my lifetime.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Loftus Road renovation/revamp (n/t) on 16:47 - Sep 2 with 1894 viewsnick_hammersmith

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 13:26 - Sep 20 by connell10

Make the concourses bigger and increase the seating leg room.

[Post edited 2 Sep 16:48]
Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 16:47 - Sep 2 with 1892 viewskensalriser

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 14:36 - Sep 2 by dutch

What's the problem with Park Royal? We used to play there. Don't forget that QPR wasn't founded in Shepherd's Bush or even the borough of Hammersmith & Fulham (or its predecessors).

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Loftus Road renovation/revamp on 17:00 - Sep 2 with 1837 viewsSpongeParr

It would be via the club. Same way that Everton have got their ground and it's still going, despite the owner giving up.

The only way LR gets better is by being knocked down and us being able to buy the school and the road being built over.

With a regeneration of the area, it's more of a blank canvass rather than having to be on our grounds.

If there's no leeway of the current site square footage then we'll never drastically improve LR.

Regs have changed, can't have the stands as steep as ours these days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024