Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Corbyn as Prime Minister 11:26 - May 28 with 35138 viewsoff2div1

Labour policies are more for the working class but is Corbyn capable of running the country.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 07:24 - Jun 9 with 2027 viewsD_Alien

Corbyn's done incredibly well in attracting the youth vote and reclaiming a huge slice of the disaffected UKIP vote who the Tories expected to fall in behind them in terms of Brexit

Yep, my prediction was wrong, a bit like expecting Dale to put away a team at the bottom of the league but getting turned over. There's no hiding it - May's election call has been a disaster, most of all for the country who now face a Brexit with hugely weakened leadership

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 08:16 - Jun 9 with 1934 viewsDaleFan7

Was always going to be a landslide for Labour in Rochdale.

TM says she won't quit but how much pressure will she be under now? She really will be a puppet and on a tight leash now.

Get Boris in!
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 08:21 - Jun 9 with 1914 viewsmingthemerciless

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 08:16 - Jun 9 by DaleFan7

Was always going to be a landslide for Labour in Rochdale.

TM says she won't quit but how much pressure will she be under now? She really will be a puppet and on a tight leash now.

Get Boris in!

She's finished, as I said the other day another one for the dust bin of history.

I can see the Tories tearing themselves apart over this.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 08:36 - Jun 9 with 1891 viewsDaleiLama

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 08:21 - Jun 9 by mingthemerciless

She's finished, as I said the other day another one for the dust bin of history.

I can see the Tories tearing themselves apart over this.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 09:10 - Jun 9 with 1851 viewsfunkkk

What a mess, I can't see any good outcome for this now.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 09:25 - Jun 9 with 1829 viewsmingthemerciless

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 09:10 - Jun 9 by funkkk

What a mess, I can't see any good outcome for this now.

A " Hard Brexit " deal has suddenly vanished. That's no bad thing.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 10:17 - Jun 9 with 1748 viewsfunkkk

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 09:25 - Jun 9 by mingthemerciless

Going in to negotiations in such disarray doesn't strike me as a good position.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 10:48 - Jun 9 with 1711 viewsD_Alien

Don't forget, the EU won't allow us a deal on our terms, since it'd encourage other member states to try to renegotiate their own membership

We might well have no alternative but to leave on such terms that might be considered a "hard brexit" or face demands for huge separation payments - most of which we don't actually owe after 40 years of being net contributors to the EU budget

There's no staying in the single market unless we agree to keep free movement of peoples, which the country simply won't wear. If parliament won't back whoever's PM in securing a deal that doesn't bankrupt us, there'd be another election. There might well be anyway, before the end of this year

It's a bloody mess, right enough

Login to get fewer ads

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:19 - Jun 9 with 1656 viewsmeeee

This was the first time I ever voted or have taken an interest in politics and I don't get the voting system. The greens got half a million votes and only one MP yet the DUP who I've never even heard of got 300,000 votes and 10 seats. Conservatives got 700k votes more than Labour, yet have 53 more seats. I don't have a better alternative but I don't see how its fair
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:44 - Jun 9 with 1609 viewsDaleFan7

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:19 - Jun 9 by meeee

This was the first time I ever voted or have taken an interest in politics and I don't get the voting system. The greens got half a million votes and only one MP yet the DUP who I've never even heard of got 300,000 votes and 10 seats. Conservatives got 700k votes more than Labour, yet have 53 more seats. I don't have a better alternative but I don't see how its fair

The DUP is Northern Ireland's biggest party so naturally we can't vote for them like we can't vote for the SNP.

There was a vote on the electoral system and it was voted to not change it. It isn't the fairest system in the world. I don't vote Labour so my vote is effectively a non-factor in Rochdale, I only do it as I think if you don't vote you shouldn't have an opinion on what the Government that is elected chooses to do.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:45 - Jun 9 with 1600 viewsmingthemerciless

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 10:48 - Jun 9 by D_Alien

Don't forget, the EU won't allow us a deal on our terms, since it'd encourage other member states to try to renegotiate their own membership

We might well have no alternative but to leave on such terms that might be considered a "hard brexit" or face demands for huge separation payments - most of which we don't actually owe after 40 years of being net contributors to the EU budget

There's no staying in the single market unless we agree to keep free movement of peoples, which the country simply won't wear. If parliament won't back whoever's PM in securing a deal that doesn't bankrupt us, there'd be another election. There might well be anyway, before the end of this year

It's a bloody mess, right enough

I think another election this year is almost a certainty. If May stays on I think the Tories will lose. Their only hope is to replace her more or less right away, but with whom ? None of the usual suspects are inspiring, that's why May won in the first place.

Brexit is an almighty mess now. I still have the feeling I had a year ago that " the political establishment" don't want Brexit but they don't know how to pull off the trick of overturning the vote without alienating a sizeable chunk of the electorate. That doesn't mean they've given up trying though. This result will give them encouragement.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:51 - Jun 9 with 1586 viewstony_roch975

Good point and one some of us have been arguing for ages. Some form of PR where every vote counts has to be fairer. On votes cast the Tories and DUP are around 3 million votes light of the progressive parties - only First Past the Post fiddles the result so they get to govern!!

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:55 - Jun 9 with 1569 viewsDaleiLama

Amazing Theresa May held on to her seat when faced with an opponent with a manifesto - Lord Buckethead got 249 (two hundred and forty nine) votes

[Post edited 9 Jun 2017 11:56]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:56 - Jun 9 with 1564 viewstony_roch975

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:44 - Jun 9 by DaleFan7

The DUP is Northern Ireland's biggest party so naturally we can't vote for them like we can't vote for the SNP.

There was a vote on the electoral system and it was voted to not change it. It isn't the fairest system in the world. I don't vote Labour so my vote is effectively a non-factor in Rochdale, I only do it as I think if you don't vote you shouldn't have an opinion on what the Government that is elected chooses to do.

Well done for voting despite such an undemocratic system where your vote (along with half of all votes) is effectively 'wasted'. Under PR the nationalist parties would rightly have a much smaller presence in Parliament.

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 13:57 - Jun 9 with 1429 viewsrochdaleriddler

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 07:24 - Jun 9 by D_Alien

Corbyn's done incredibly well in attracting the youth vote and reclaiming a huge slice of the disaffected UKIP vote who the Tories expected to fall in behind them in terms of Brexit

Yep, my prediction was wrong, a bit like expecting Dale to put away a team at the bottom of the league but getting turned over. There's no hiding it - May's election call has been a disaster, most of all for the country who now face a Brexit with hugely weakened leadership

I'm 'quietly confident' that she will be gone soon, she said no election, then giddy with the prospect of a landslide, she made an error of great magnitude. She had all the media on her side, corbyn was ridiculed by her and the establishment, and she now has less seats than before, needing a coalition of chaos with the religious nut jobs in Ulster to remain in post. After an enjoyable evening watching echo and the bunnymen in holmfirth, I got back to my apartment at the vineyard and laughed my bits off, whilst enjoying a fruity number. Perfect day, well done Jeremy corbyn, a man who maintained his dignity and integrity throughout .

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:00 - Jun 9 with 1422 viewssteofthedale

In reality everyone lost the election.......

Corbyn did better than expected , but no better than Gordon Brown....

May increased the Tory share of the vote, but lost her majority.......

The country has become more polarised......

There is no good outcome......only a need to find what represents the least worse

steofthedale*

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:07 - Jun 9 with 1409 views49thseason

I think you might find that the 10 DUP MPs are keener on a tough deal than the Tories who lost their seats. The DUP are far more right wing than Maybe.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:12 - Jun 9 with 1404 viewsNogintheNog

Maths has never been my strong point, but, if the Conservatives needed 326 for a majority but only reached 319 isn`t the 7 seat difference negated by Sinn Fien not taking their seats, so in effect The Tories have a majority ?
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:28 - Jun 9 with 1373 viewsmingthemerciless

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:07 - Jun 9 by 49thseason

I think you might find that the 10 DUP MPs are keener on a tough deal than the Tories who lost their seats. The DUP are far more right wing than Maybe.

If you think we'll still have a " Hard Brexit " now you must be as deluded as she is. That ship sailed last night.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:34 - Jun 9 with 1367 viewsfunkkk

There are plenty of better alternatives but of course labour and conservative would never back them. Personally, I spoiled my paper and expressed my opinion on how unfair and unrepresentative FPTP is.
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:38 - Jun 9 with 1357 viewstony_roch975

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:00 - Jun 9 by steofthedale

In reality everyone lost the election.......

Corbyn did better than expected , but no better than Gordon Brown....

May increased the Tory share of the vote, but lost her majority.......

The country has become more polarised......

There is no good outcome......only a need to find what represents the least worse

Tories, UKIP & DUP got over 2million less votes than progressive parties - clear the country wanted progressive anti-austerity policies. Only First Past the Post fiddled democracy.

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 15:00 - Jun 9 with 1309 viewsD_Alien

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 13:57 - Jun 9 by rochdaleriddler

I'm 'quietly confident' that she will be gone soon, she said no election, then giddy with the prospect of a landslide, she made an error of great magnitude. She had all the media on her side, corbyn was ridiculed by her and the establishment, and she now has less seats than before, needing a coalition of chaos with the religious nut jobs in Ulster to remain in post. After an enjoyable evening watching echo and the bunnymen in holmfirth, I got back to my apartment at the vineyard and laughed my bits off, whilst enjoying a fruity number. Perfect day, well done Jeremy corbyn, a man who maintained his dignity and integrity throughout .

I had a laugh last night too, when Emily Thornberry was discussing roles in a Corbyn cabinet. As you say, at least Corbyn acts with dignity

And yep, well done Jeremy, happy as a lark, strolling along the Islington pavements in the sunshine, basking in the admiration of his friends whilst TM got on with the serious business of government. A perfect result for him

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 15:09 - Jun 9 with 1290 viewsrochdaleriddler

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 15:00 - Jun 9 by D_Alien

I had a laugh last night too, when Emily Thornberry was discussing roles in a Corbyn cabinet. As you say, at least Corbyn acts with dignity

And yep, well done Jeremy, happy as a lark, strolling along the Islington pavements in the sunshine, basking in the admiration of his friends whilst TM got on with the serious business of government. A perfect result for him

Didn't think forming a grubby alliance with anti gay, anti women's rights nutjobs/ terrorist apologists was an important role for the government. Corbyn said he was willing to form a government with no such skullduggery. The dull one is one desperate woman, this will end in tears for the tories, and I couldn't be happier, and the fact that you had to admit you were wrong is just the icing on the cake

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 15:14 - Jun 9 with 1270 viewspioneer

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 14:12 - Jun 9 by NogintheNog

Maths has never been my strong point, but, if the Conservatives needed 326 for a majority but only reached 319 isn`t the 7 seat difference negated by Sinn Fien not taking their seats, so in effect The Tories have a majority ?

Because the SF MPs dont participate you have to take this 7 seats off the total number of seats 651 - 7 = 644. That is the number of participating members so 50% + 1 of 644 (= 323) is what is needed to have a majority of participating members.

Sad that the old guard Labour MPs could not bring themselves to admit they were wrong about Corbyn and give a clear message that they are 100% behind him now he has proven that even without a sympathetic press or the support of his parliamentary party he has taken the party to a level of support that would have been sufficient to form a government in many previous elections.

Dont understand why so many thought a collapse in UKIP vote was traditional tory voters. UKIP took many labour voters who have now returned to the fold.

Ironic that tricky nicky north of the border has provided the tories with the opportunity to govern - well done scots nats. As with the referenda, despite your huffing and puffing you got the outcome you most wanted to avoid.

Seems like we are now going to be run (effectively) by 700,000 irish folk who voted DUP. Thats what democracy means in a FPTP system. Nonsense. Lead to interesting discussions of the irish border question. Free movement of people over the irish border effectively means free movement of people from EU.

Interesting times
Corbyn as Prime Minister on 15:23 - Jun 9 with 1254 viewspioneer

Corbyn as Prime Minister on 11:44 - Jun 9 by DaleFan7

A country that doesn't allow people to have an opinion is the worst form of totalitarianism. In all the elections since I turned 18 my vote has never counted (outcome never depended on my vote). PR is long overdue and is used effectively in many countries. The more votes a party gets the greater the representatation in parliament it has- what is not to like about that?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024