Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever happened to 23:06 - Mar 20 with 11840 viewsted_hendrix

Bread and dripping? proper mans food, none of this foreign crap for me.

Bloody lettuce nonsense.

I had a Ford Zephyr Mk 4 once, column change and hard as nails. (the car that is).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whatever happened to on 20:13 - Mar 23 with 1000 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Whatever happened to on 20:04 - Mar 23 by Monahoop

Remember making genies? Gather up a few fireworks or the remains of spent ones, take out the powder and pile it up into a neat pyramid like mound. Throw on a match. BOOF! A big cloud of smoke and sparks mid air. The aim was to get out the way and quickly. One of my mates was a bit slow and one of these genies blew up in his face. He wasn't hurt luckily, but his face was black as the ace of spades and the powder residue wouldn't rub or wash off for ages.

What happened to taking wreckless risks? Everyone has to be so safe these days.

Yes indeed. Ended up with minimal eyebrows after doing that. Catherine wheels that never spun round, mini rockets sent down middle of road, holding Roman Candles and pointing them at anyone that moved and as earlier mentioned, jumping jacks that followed you round after lighting.

Remember my parents spending £1 on the biggest box of fireworks sold from Selfridges year after year.
Whatever happened to on 20:38 - Mar 23 with 982 viewsPommyhoop

Whatever happened to on 20:13 - Mar 23 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Yes indeed. Ended up with minimal eyebrows after doing that. Catherine wheels that never spun round, mini rockets sent down middle of road, holding Roman Candles and pointing them at anyone that moved and as earlier mentioned, jumping jacks that followed you round after lighting.

Remember my parents spending £1 on the biggest box of fireworks sold from Selfridges year after year.

Used to love everything about Fireworks night.Remember gazing at the big expensive muthas locked away in the glass cabinet thinking Wooaa .if only..
We used to try and burn down the other end of the estates bonfire before the big day every year.We managed it twice,They got ours once ..B"stards.
Organised displays were for wimps...
Remember the streets and parks and gardens covered in wet, soggy spent fireworks for what seemed like months afterwards..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Whatever happened to on 20:39 - Mar 23 with 980 viewssoupandhoop

bangers in the letterbox happy days
Whatever happened to on 20:41 - Mar 23 with 977 viewssoupandhoop

Whatever happened to on 20:39 - Mar 23 by soupandhoop

and then home for bread and dripping for tea
Whatever happened to on 20:44 - Mar 23 with 973 viewsqprmick

Little Hovis loaves we used to buy from the factory in Acton, after we came out of the swimming baths. Ripping the middle out of the bread and filling 'em with hot chips.

Qprmick

Whatever happened to on 20:45 - Mar 23 with 970 viewsMonahoop

Whatever happened to on 20:39 - Mar 23 by soupandhoop

Dog poo on a front doorstep covered with lighted paper, ring the doorbell, scarper,hide, sound of stamping. Laugh. Happier days.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Whatever happened to on 21:09 - Mar 23 with 952 viewsflynnbo

Five Park Drive and a book of matches; Watney's Party Seven,; pre-ring pull cans of coke or Pepsi; Top Deck shandy or lager and lime; Quiz Ball; proper sherbet dabs; jamboree bags; Brutus shirts as we couldn't afford Ben Shermans; silk scarves worn around wrists...
Whatever happened to on 21:19 - Mar 23 with 946 viewsDWQPR

My old man owned the corner shop in Thorpebank Road. Cigarettes that were sold in those days, Capstan Full Strength, Weights, Players, all without tips and no health warnings unlike the quick burning rubbish that is sold for £7 a throw nowadays.

Vesta curries, came out the packet looking like bits of cardboars, add hot water, wait a few minutes then you had soggy cardboard that tasted a bit spicy. Cola and orange spangles. Chocolate tools, chocolate bananas. Four black jacks for a penny, perfect way to disguise the smell of a cigarette from your mum.

Cars that wouldn't start on a cold, damp morning, cars with rust. Borrowing bits off a mates car to gets yours through an MOT. Being able to have a few pints and still know you won't get nicked driving home. Skol lager and Long Life beer or was it lager
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever happened to on 21:27 - Mar 23 with 943 viewsted_hendrix

The London Transport Route master with Its Fascist bus conductors who wouldn't let you stand on the platform whilst the bus was moving.

The rare magical trip to Petticoat Lane on a Sunday in the old Mans car where he bought me me first push bike (second hand) when I asked how we were going to get it in the car to get it home he said "we aint, you can ride It home"
Our phone number at the time was Richmond 1765.
Three speed Sturmey Archer with flat handle bars.

Who remembers cow horn handle bars with a fixed cog on the back wheel?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whatever happened to on 21:30 - Mar 23 with 936 viewsDWQPR

Chopper bikes with the gear shift strategically placed to catch your nuts if you braked too hard!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Whatever happened to on 21:32 - Mar 23 with 932 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 21:27 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

The London Transport Route master with Its Fascist bus conductors who wouldn't let you stand on the platform whilst the bus was moving.

The rare magical trip to Petticoat Lane on a Sunday in the old Mans car where he bought me me first push bike (second hand) when I asked how we were going to get it in the car to get it home he said "we aint, you can ride It home"

Or monkey hangers and what about monkey boots (couldn't afford DMs)

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Whatever happened to on 21:33 - Mar 23 with 930 viewsflynnbo

Slam shut train doors; National petrol stations; White (not duck) eggs; propelling pencils and slide rules.
Whatever happened to on 21:34 - Mar 23 with 928 viewsPommyhoop

The cat that kept us safe.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Whatever happened to on 22:07 - Mar 23 with 907 viewsPinnerR

Gas Light and Coke Company, Northmet Electricity Company, White Knight Laundry,
our phone number Wembley 5627, my mum's Co-op number, 693226, which I had to tell the milkman every Saturday morning.
10 player's No.6 for 2/- from the machine. I knew the world had gone mad when I put in two bob and got out a packet with 9 fags instead of 10.
Whatever happened to on 22:14 - Mar 23 with 902 viewsMonahoop

Whatever happened to on 21:27 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Kids who thought they were hard nuts rode bikes with cow horn bars. Me and some local mates used to goad a gang of these bods who had these bikes. They could never catch us on our bikes as they wouldn't corner properly or tight enough.

Made our own scrambler off road bikes. All I did was whip off the brakes, turn the handle bars up a bit and off I went. Used my foot to stop or skid to a halt. Dangerous but fun.

Making Go Carts. Some were a work of art, others were lethal. Shop bought carts didn't count. You had to make your own.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Whatever happened to on 22:15 - Mar 23 with 900 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 22:07 - Mar 23 by PinnerR

Gas Light and Coke Company, Northmet Electricity Company, White Knight Laundry,
our phone number Wembley 5627, my mum's Co-op number, 693226, which I had to tell the milkman every Saturday morning.
10 player's No.6 for 2/- from the machine. I knew the world had gone mad when I put in two bob and got out a packet with 9 fags instead of 10.

Our phone number was Ladbroke 486 or something like that, I remember having to give the Co-Op number every time I was sent to buy anything and my mum making sure that I had checked that they had written it in the book. I also rememeber the day they merged Willesden with Wembley to form Brent, we all went round at school feeling very posh as Wembley was very well to do back then.

Whatever happened to on 22:21 - Mar 23 with 897 viewsflynnbo

..the other walnut in Walnut Whips?
Whatever happened to on 22:24 - Mar 23 with 897 viewsPommyhoop

Whatever happened to on 22:14 - Mar 23 by Monahoop

Kids who thought they were hard nuts rode bikes with cow horn bars. Me and some local mates used to goad a gang of these bods who had these bikes. They could never catch us on our bikes as they wouldn't corner properly or tight enough.

Made our own scrambler off road bikes. All I did was whip off the brakes, turn the handle bars up a bit and off I went. Used my foot to stop or skid to a halt. Dangerous but fun.

Making Go Carts. Some were a work of art, others were lethal. Shop bought carts didn't count. You had to make your own.

Made up my best bike from bits and bobs found and begged ,Cost me 10 p for a link for the chain from the local bike /hardware shop.Like you say brakes were not needed and indeed frowned upon.

Whatever happened to on 22:30 - Mar 23 with 893 viewsShotKneesHoop

Pig Bins.

Made great goal posts.

Better than jumpers.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Whatever happened to on 22:36 - Mar 23 with 889 viewsPommyhoop

Did they ever catch that Bill Stickers??

Whatever happened to on 00:33 - Mar 24 with 861 viewsBrightonhoop

Whatever happened to on 13:30 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

Actually it was a 50 Meg H-bomb (hats off to them making that plane deliverable,just as well it wasn't).

Brought up a Catholic, but sorry, no further allegiances ascribeable.

......players like Dave Thomas. No shin pads against chopper 'Arris?!? They dont make players like DT anymore.
Whatever happened to on 09:28 - Mar 24 with 830 viewspeejaybee

National Sevice,Anyone on here do it.?????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Whatever happened to on 09:48 - Mar 24 with 816 viewssoupandhoop

Whatever happened to on 22:15 - Mar 23 by kingo

Our phone number was Ladbroke 486 or something like that, I remember having to give the Co-Op number every time I was sent to buy anything and my mum making sure that I had checked that they had written it in the book. I also rememeber the day they merged Willesden with Wembley to form Brent, we all went round at school feeling very posh as Wembley was very well to do back then.

you had a phone? no wonder your name is king
Whatever happened to on 09:49 - Mar 24 with 815 viewssoupandhoop

Whatever happened to on 09:28 - Mar 24 by peejaybee

National Sevice,Anyone on here do it.?????????????

cubs
Whatever happened to on 09:55 - Mar 24 with 804 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 09:48 - Mar 24 by soupandhoop

you had a phone? no wonder your name is king

My dad had a greengrocers on the Harrow Road so the phone, which we hardly used (as no one else had one) was to do with the shop. As said by someone earlier, I didn't think we were poor as everyone else was in the same boat, but when you tell others about having socks and jumpers that were darned and patches on your trousers it sounds like something from a third world country.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024