Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever happened to 23:06 - Mar 20 with 11837 viewsted_hendrix

Bread and dripping? proper mans food, none of this foreign crap for me.

Bloody lettuce nonsense.

I had a Ford Zephyr Mk 4 once, column change and hard as nails. (the car that is).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whatever happened to on 15:06 - Mar 23 with 1185 viewswood_hoop

Whatever happened to on 14:46 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Paraffin heaters that you suspiciously thought could blow up any minute, there used to be a paraffin delivery bloke that would come round in his bowser and I had the job of filling up the bloody jerry can that would weigh an obscene weight and was barely manageable.
It was my job as the nipper in the house to make sure that the paraffin heaters were kept topped up and the wick hadn't burnt down.
Because we had three paraffin heaters in the house we thought we were therefore 'middle class', we weren't.
lol

In those days Woolworths had real wooden floors, and they used to sell slabs of toffee that were impossible to eat.

Car window wipers that worked of the vacuum of the engine, when I say worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You weren't the only one whose job it was to fill the things, and keep the wicks trimmed, I'd cry like a baby if my central heating packed up now........

Remember the 'ice man' as well, couldn't afford a fridge when ours packed up, so had a big buggar of a block delivered and put in the bath, lasted quite a few days and had to wash in an old tin bath........

Gobstoppers and 'firemans hose' sweets that seemed to be top of my favourites list.

Cakes from the bakery on the way home from school, end of the day stale items, mostly consisted of bread pudding that could be used to slab the streets, certainly filled an ever hungry school boy.
Whatever happened to on 15:06 - Mar 23 with 1185 viewsTheBlob

"Something for the weekend sir?"Snip snip snip.......

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Whatever happened to on 15:07 - Mar 23 with 1177 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Whatever happened to on 15:06 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

"Something for the weekend sir?"Snip snip snip.......

Friction!
Whatever happened to on 15:20 - Mar 23 with 1168 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 15:01 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

Well done digging that up. I probably only remembered it as part of a mnemonic about memorising the colours almond trees were painted (they had to be distinguished because they ripened at different times). It was Bm Bm Bm Bm, Milo blue. (Milo being the name of the pollinator, blue being the colour of the painted trunk band.)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Whatever happened to on 15:27 - Mar 23 with 1159 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 15:27 - Mar 23 with 1158 viewsHantsR

Whatever happened to on 14:57 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

[Rising tone} Bom, bom, bom, bom. Esso Blue. (Try to remember the jingle.)

As for vacuum wipers, only my first car, 49 Chev (Aaah, NZ! late '70's) had vacuum wipers: you could adjust the rate of wipe by the accelerator; light was fast, heavy was none!

I had an old Prefect with vacuum wipers. Stupid things went fast when you were stationary and slow when you put your toe down. When the thing got rusty and leaked, I had to operate the wipers with my hand under the dashboard and move the mechanical linkage manually - had to do this all the way to Somerset in pouring rain once!
Whatever happened to on 15:31 - Mar 23 with 1149 viewsShotKneesHoop

Whatever happened to on 14:13 - Mar 23 by kingo

I have a photo of my dads shop in about 1961 and the advertising by the fridge is luverly jublee. It is funny because the other adverts on show are for Corona, Farrows marowfat peas and Heinz salad cream, all mentioned in this thread.

Who made Jubblies? Was it Walls or Lyons?

Why did they disappear faster than a Horseburger off a Tesco's shelf.

Could it be that Jubblies were packed full of sugar and kid's teeth used to fall out because of sucking them at Saturday morning pictures?

Used to be the ultimate sweet / drink / lollipop all in one.

We could have conquered the world with jubblies and proper marketing. What happened to them?

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Whatever happened to on 15:36 - Mar 23 with 1143 viewsHantsR

Whatever happened to on 14:40 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

How old are you?

Yes, 4 Blackjacks (or Fruit Salads) for a penny.

Refreshers were a threepenny tube (mid sixties).

Love Hearts were all about the message: they tasted like sh*t.

Older than you probably ( see thread of a few weeks ago) as I'd grown out of them by the 60s. You're right about the Fruit salads but the Refreshers were cheaper in my day. I think you can still get Love Hearts.

Another, strange one was Parma Violets
Login to get fewer ads

Whatever happened to on 15:37 - Mar 23 with 1142 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 15:31 - Mar 23 by ShotKneesHoop

Who made Jubblies? Was it Walls or Lyons?

Why did they disappear faster than a Horseburger off a Tesco's shelf.

Could it be that Jubblies were packed full of sugar and kid's teeth used to fall out because of sucking them at Saturday morning pictures?

Used to be the ultimate sweet / drink / lollipop all in one.

We could have conquered the world with jubblies and proper marketing. What happened to them?

Where are you on the other threads?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Whatever happened to on 15:42 - Mar 23 with 1138 viewsMonahoop

Jumping Jack fireworks that had the uncanny knack of following you around if you dared run away. Hilarious, but dangerous.

Caps. No not ones you put on your head or some clumsy female contraceptive devise. Caps for toy guns. Kids buying reels of them by the load, putting a few together then stamping on them to make a louder explosion. Great in school corridors. I remember you could by a little rocket type plane shaped like a Meteor jet which you put the caps in behind the nose the fired the rocket with a catapult usually aimed at a wall or something. Then you hoped for a bang. You could also buy a plastic rocket, load it with caps and lob it into the air and listen to the bang when it hit the ground.

Who can remember making bolt bombs? Two bolts linked together by a nut. The aim was to fill the cavity by a loosely fitted nut on the end of one bolt with ground match ends, caps or firework powder, then fit on the other bolt, not too tight then slam the device has hard as you could onto the ground. If done properly the explosion was loud and one bolt would fly off in any direction. Great in school playgrounds or corridors. Hilarious, but dangerous as a couple of kids at my school found to their cost, thus bolt bombing was banned.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Whatever happened to on 16:11 - Mar 23 with 1124 viewspeejaybee

Strips of Aspros.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Whatever happened to on 16:12 - Mar 23 with 1124 viewsted_hendrix

Cap guns!!!! if I remember rightly you could buy a roll of caps that basically gave you a repeater gun, or rather your mum could buy you a roll.

No crying now lads but thanks to Ray Davies and the chords; 'G' 'F' 'D' with 'A' and 'C' thrown in.

Well, lived my life and never stopped to worry bout a thing
Opened up and shouted out and never tried to sing
Wondering if I'd done wrong
Will this depression last for long?

Wont you tell me
Where have all the good times gone?

Well, once we had an easy ride and always felt the same
Time was on our side and I had everything to gain
Let it be like yesterday
Please let me have happy days

Wont you tell me

Ma and pa look back at all the things they used to do
Didn't have no money and they always told the truth
Daddy didn't have no toys
And mummy didn't need no boys

Wont you tell me

Well, yesterday was such an easy game for you to play
But lets face it things are so much easier today
Guess you need some bringing down
And get your feet back on the ground

Wont you tell me

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whatever happened to on 16:28 - Mar 23 with 1098 viewsJAPRANGERS

The throwing of streamers of bog paper when a goal was scored. It was a spectacular sight. Bog paper wasn't just for wiping for your arse in those days.
Whatever happened to on 16:32 - Mar 23 with 1090 viewszicoshoops

Two feet of snow overnight.
Burst pipes everywhere......Standpipes in the street.

The last milkman to deliver milk by Horse and Cart.
People running out with a shovel to collect the horse shit..........strange, as no bastard had a garden.

Fireball XL5
Champion the Wonder Horse.
Tuffty the Squirrel.....(could have a row with anyone)
Twizzle.

The old fashioned Green 'Southdown Coaches,' out of Victoria for a day out at Brighton.

The School Dentist..........Most of them could have showed the Nazis a trick or two.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Whatever happened to on 16:37 - Mar 23 with 1077 viewsWeaverQPR

pinching a tarts arse in the boozer without getting nicked

@WeavQPR

Whatever happened to on 16:40 - Mar 23 with 1073 viewsMonahoop

Mr Pastry

Whatever happened to on 16:41 - Mar 23 with 1070 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

The Pools Panel. And they will be in action today. Still a nice weekly earner for Gordon Banks, Roger Hunt et al meeting on a Friday.

Anyone on here still do the Pools? Littlewoods, Vernons, Zetters.
Whatever happened to on 17:37 - Mar 23 with 1037 viewsMonahoop

Maps. Road atlases and OS maps you had to read to find your way round. None of this Sat Nav tosh. A bloody computer telling you where to go and still getting it wrong, or people still not understanding them and getting lost. Pointless contraptions. Better off navigating by the stars.

Whatever happened to on 17:38 - Mar 23 with 1036 viewsMrSheen

Whatever happened to on 16:41 - Mar 23 by Sudbury_Hill_R

The Pools Panel. And they will be in action today. Still a nice weekly earner for Gordon Banks, Roger Hunt et al meeting on a Friday.

Anyone on here still do the Pools? Littlewoods, Vernons, Zetters.

Australian pools results in the summer. Will Juventus be able to hold Marconi this weekend? How about Sydney Croatia v Woollongong?
Whatever happened to on 18:33 - Mar 23 with 1016 viewsHantsR

Whatever happened to on 16:28 - Mar 23 by JAPRANGERS

The throwing of streamers of bog paper when a goal was scored. It was a spectacular sight. Bog paper wasn't just for wiping for your arse in those days.

Whatever happened to on 18:48 - Mar 23 with 1011 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 15:42 - Mar 23 by Monahoop

Jumping Jack fireworks that had the uncanny knack of following you around if you dared run away. Hilarious, but dangerous.

Caps. No not ones you put on your head or some clumsy female contraceptive devise. Caps for toy guns. Kids buying reels of them by the load, putting a few together then stamping on them to make a louder explosion. Great in school corridors. I remember you could by a little rocket type plane shaped like a Meteor jet which you put the caps in behind the nose the fired the rocket with a catapult usually aimed at a wall or something. Then you hoped for a bang. You could also buy a plastic rocket, load it with caps and lob it into the air and listen to the bang when it hit the ground.

Who can remember making bolt bombs? Two bolts linked together by a nut. The aim was to fill the cavity by a loosely fitted nut on the end of one bolt with ground match ends, caps or firework powder, then fit on the other bolt, not too tight then slam the device has hard as you could onto the ground. If done properly the explosion was loud and one bolt would fly off in any direction. Great in school playgrounds or corridors. Hilarious, but dangerous as a couple of kids at my school found to their cost, thus bolt bombing was banned.

Them cap rockets were ace.Used to get them free in packets of cornflakes.

Remember the fireworks well.1d bangers and the big f*ck off 3d Cannon.Both painted a malicious red.We used to get them airfix battleships,go to all the trouble of glueing them together than stick 'em on a big bucket of water with a banger down the funnel.

Soft bicycle saddles that didn't rupture your arse.

Whatever happened to on 18:58 - Mar 23 with 1006 viewsPommyhoop

Brown wage packets you got every Thursday with cash in them.( Decimal for me fellas ,not quite as old as some on this thread )

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Whatever happened to on 19:25 - Mar 23 with 993 viewsPommyhoop

Whatever happened to on 18:48 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

Them cap rockets were ace.Used to get them free in packets of cornflakes.

Remember the fireworks well.1d bangers and the big f*ck off 3d Cannon.Both painted a malicious red.We used to get them airfix battleships,go to all the trouble of glueing them together than stick 'em on a big bucket of water with a banger down the funnel.

Soft bicycle saddles that didn't rupture your arse.

Take one motorbike gauntlett nicked from one of the many Hells Angel wannabe elder brothers on the estate.A section of hoover tube or similar pipe material.Add a rocket or roman candle. YEAH ..Star Wars firework wars !!!
Fcuk knows how none of us didnt end up like Nicki Lauda

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Whatever happened to on 20:04 - Mar 23 with 973 viewsMonahoop

Whatever happened to on 19:25 - Mar 23 by Pommyhoop

Take one motorbike gauntlett nicked from one of the many Hells Angel wannabe elder brothers on the estate.A section of hoover tube or similar pipe material.Add a rocket or roman candle. YEAH ..Star Wars firework wars !!!

Remember making genies? Gather up a few fireworks or the remains of spent ones, take out the powder and pile it up into a neat pyramid like mound. Throw on a match. BOOF! A big cloud of smoke and sparks mid air. The aim was to get out the way and quickly. One of my mates was a bit slow and one of these genies blew up in his face. He wasn't hurt luckily, but his face was black as the ace of spades and the powder residue wouldn't rub or wash off for ages.

What happened to taking wreckless risks? Everyone has to be so safe these days.

Whatever happened to on 20:11 - Mar 23 with 967 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 19:25 - Mar 23 by Pommyhoop

We used to do penny for the guy outside Kensal Green station, it involved an initial layout of 6d for one of those cardboard guys masks. Then aquire about 5 bob and get loads of 1d bangers and 3d rockets and launch then from a bike pump. The fast trains behind the gun factory were a prime moving target.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024