Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever happened to 23:06 - Mar 20 with 11836 viewsted_hendrix

Bread and dripping? proper mans food, none of this foreign crap for me.

Bloody lettuce nonsense.

I had a Ford Zephyr Mk 4 once, column change and hard as nails. (the car that is).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Whatever happened to on 13:33 - Mar 23 with 956 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 12:40 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

Presumably you're talking about the winter of '63? Two stories up and our steel window fittings had ice an inch thick in a centrally-heated flat.

Mind you, we were doing ski jumps on the fat trays off our gas stoves in the playground.

In 63, I went out with my dad to go to market and we went round to his van in Ravensworth Road and the snow came up to my waist. I was kitted out in my knitted balaclava, which every kid was made to wear.

Who remembers salad cream sandwiches and sitting for hours with a pomegranate and a needle or shelling peas, not many got into the bowl.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Whatever happened to on 13:35 - Mar 23 with 951 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 13:33 - Mar 23 by kingo

In 63, I went out with my dad to go to market and we went round to his van in Ravensworth Road and the snow came up to my waist. I was kitted out in my knitted balaclava, which every kid was made to wear.

Who remembers salad cream sandwiches and sitting for hours with a pomegranate and a needle or shelling peas, not many got into the bowl.

Lotsa games off as well,right old fixture pile up.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Whatever happened to on 13:39 - Mar 23 with 946 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 13:35 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

Lotsa games off as well,right old fixture pile up.

Can't remember that, do remember 3' piles of snow besides the roads.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Whatever happened to on 13:39 - Mar 23 with 945 viewsShotKneesHoop

Frozen Jubblies.

AKA ...... Orange Juice in Wax Triangular Cartons - cost thruppence unfrozen.

A penny extra for them being frozen and sold as a solid block of orange lolly.

Always took one into Saturday morning pictures (sixpence entry), went up to the Circle, sucked the juice out whilst the cartoons were being shown and then chucked the ice block at the kids from Northolt in the stalls below when the main picture was on.

Happy days.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Whatever happened to on 13:41 - Mar 23 with 942 viewsMonahoop

Whatever happened to on 18:08 - Mar 22 by wood_hoop

My first ever car in the early 70's was the Wolsey, paid £20 for it, big hole in the floor by the control pedals and plenty of rust holding the rest together, no chance of a M.O,T..........

Eventually got knicked going over Battersea Bridge one Sunday morning on way to the coast, got a ban for 12 months, not bad considering I hadn't even passed my test !

Carried on for years buying wrecks for a few pounds and patching them up to run for a few months, wouldn't dream of such a thing now, so my 'whatever happened to' is the balls to drive round in motors fit only for the scrapheap.

My old man gave the Wolesley to my older brother who at the age of 17 thrashed the living daylights out of it and near enough wrecked it. When he got rid of it in 1970 we thought that was the last we would see of it. Not so. Ten years later I discovered it parked around the back of the hospital I used to work at. One of the hospital engineers used it as a runaround car. It still bore all the scars of my brothers wreckless driving antics plus a few more since. But it still worked. Proper cars that ran just as well on rust and dents, not like todays efforts that would fail an MOT or have owners crying because of a mere pin prick of rust on the bodywork.

I was more into motorbikes than cars in my youth. While fancy dans were zipping around on Fizzies and Yammies I was content with an ancient BSA Bantam 175 a family friend gave me. It was painted in crude black and yellow stripes and it worked for 20 minutes at a time before conking out. Always 20 minutes no more no less! I next invested in a beat up old Royal Enfield Bullet which I needed large shares in oil to keep it going. I used to ride it to 6th form at school. One day it broke down on the way and I used an English essay book to wipe the oil off my
hands. When I eventually got to school, the form teacher and the English teacher were none too impressed with the state I was in, the abuse of school property and an oily bike parked in the cycle shed. It was a real bird puller that bike [ well I tried to imagine it that way ]. My friends used to lay bets on how many kicks I needed to get it going, all the while the flash gits on their two wheeled Jap mosquitoes gave me the big one with their wrists as they sped away. But hey, so what!

So whatever happened to fun times with old bikes or cars? I can't see the current generation of youths having fun spinning yarns about games consoles, iPads, Laptops,mobile phones etc. Speaking of which. Whatever happened to the the days before mobile phones??

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Whatever happened to on 13:46 - Mar 23 with 948 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 13:39 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

Can't remember that, do remember 3' piles of snow besides the roads.

All right,steam snow ploughsCouldn't do that today.

Whatever happened to on 14:05 - Mar 23 with 936 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 13:39 - Mar 23 by ShotKneesHoop

Frozen Jubblies.

AKA ...... Orange Juice in Wax Triangular Cartons - cost thruppence unfrozen.

A penny extra for them being frozen and sold as a solid block of orange lolly.

Always took one into Saturday morning pictures (sixpence entry), went up to the Circle, sucked the juice out whilst the cartoons were being shown and then chucked the ice block at the kids from Northolt in the stalls below when the main picture was on.

Happy days.

Weren't three sided: four-sided pyramid, they were the genuine original tetra-pak (that we hear so much of these nowadays, but incorrectedly because they are six-sided; do they really hark back so much to the Jubbys?).

Whatever happened to on 14:08 - Mar 23 with 932 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 14:05 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

Weren't three sided: four-sided pyramid, they were the genuine original tetra-pak (that we hear so much of these nowadays, but incorrectedly because they are six-sided; do they really hark back so much to the Jubbys?).

Hence the Del Boy expression Luvvly Jubbly

Login to get fewer ads

Whatever happened to on 14:11 - Mar 23 with 925 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 14:08 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

And the egregious TV cook.

Whatever happened to on 14:13 - Mar 23 with 918 viewskingo

Whatever happened to on 14:08 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

I have a photo of my dads shop in about 1961 and the advertising by the fridge is luverly jublee. It is funny because the other adverts on show are for Corona, Farrows marowfat peas and Heinz salad cream, all mentioned in this thread.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Whatever happened to on 14:14 - Mar 23 with 915 viewsted_hendrix

Whatever happened to on 13:22 - Mar 23 by TheBlob

Yeah '63,and the Cuban missile crisis.Remeber going to school on the bus and wondering if it would be the last time.We would have copped the lot,them Rooskies didn't f*ck about in them days with nancy boy MIRV warheads - it was a big f*ck off 10 megaton city buster.And as a good Catholic schoolboy nowhere near to getting a legover,nothing to look back on.

Russian Sputnik's.

Kennedy getting assassinated.

A bag of broken biscuits from Woolworths after 3.00pm.

Whatever happened to on 14:19 - Mar 23 with 908 viewsisawqpratwcity

My mum buying cracked eggs to save money.

Whatever happened to on 14:20 - Mar 23 with 904 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 14:14 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Russian Sputnik's.

Kennedy getting assassinated.

A bag of broken biscuits from Woolworths after 3.00pm.

Woolworths used to have trays of hot peanuts and cashew nuts,peanuts 6d a quarter and Cashews 9d a quarter which they shovelled into greaseproof bags - had to save up for the cashews.Musta been cooked in oil that's banned now,can't get that greasy taste.

Whatever happened to on 14:21 - Mar 23 with 901 viewsisawqpratwcity

Broken biscuits, by the tin.

Whatever happened to on 14:21 - Mar 23 with 899 viewspomanjou

Whatever happened to on 14:19 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

My mum buying cracked eggs to save money.

and broken biscuits from those big tins about a foot square before 'packaged' branded biscuits came in.

Lambretta 175s.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Whatever happened to on 14:26 - Mar 23 with 890 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 14:21 - Mar 23 by pomanjou

and broken biscuits from those big tins about a foot square before 'packaged' branded biscuits came in.

Lambretta 175s.

At the time, I never thought we were poor, but now, damn, we weren't far off it.

[Spelling]

Whatever happened to on 14:30 - Mar 23 with 885 viewsisawqpratwcity

No wonder my dad emigrated.

Whatever happened to on 14:32 - Mar 23 with 882 viewsHantsR

For 1d:
8 aniseed balls
4 Black Jacks
2 gobstoppers
2 refreshers
2 fresh shrimps
1 penny chew

Also:
Sherbert dab
Liquorice fountain
Flying saucers
Sweet cigarettes
Love Hearts
Swizzel lolly
Fruit chews
Sweet peanut
Beech nut chewing gum
Whatever happened to on 14:40 - Mar 23 with 873 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 14:32 - Mar 23 by HantsR

For 1d:
8 aniseed balls
4 Black Jacks
2 gobstoppers
2 refreshers
2 fresh shrimps
1 penny chew

Also:
Sherbert dab
Liquorice fountain
Flying saucers
Sweet cigarettes
Love Hearts
Swizzel lolly
Fruit chews
Sweet peanut
Beech nut chewing gum

How old are you?

Yes, 4 Blackjacks (or Fruit Salads) for a penny.

Refreshers were a threepenny tube (mid sixties).

Love Hearts were all about the message: they tasted like sh*t.

Whatever happened to on 14:46 - Mar 23 with 870 viewsted_hendrix

Paraffin heaters that you suspiciously thought could blow up any minute, there used to be a paraffin delivery bloke that would come round in his bowser and I had the job of filling up the bloody jerry can that would weigh an obscene weight and was barely manageable.
It was my job as the nipper in the house to make sure that the paraffin heaters were kept topped up and the wick hadn't burnt down.
Because we had three paraffin heaters in the house we thought we were therefore 'middle class', we weren't.
lol

In those days Woolworths had real wooden floors, and they used to sell slabs of toffee that were impossible to eat.

Car window wipers that worked of the vacuum of the engine, when I say worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Whatever happened to on 14:56 - Mar 23 with 859 viewsTheBlob

There was a radio sketch fron Harry Secombe,goes into a shop to buy broken biscuits,complains...."these biscuits aren't broken.I've been swindled!"

Them poxy engine driven windscreen wipers.Had to be sure you didn't get a leaky vacuum hose or you could burn out a valve.

Whatever happened to on 14:57 - Mar 23 with 856 viewsisawqpratwcity

Whatever happened to on 14:46 - Mar 23 by ted_hendrix

Paraffin heaters that you suspiciously thought could blow up any minute, there used to be a paraffin delivery bloke that would come round in his bowser and I had the job of filling up the bloody jerry can that would weigh an obscene weight and was barely manageable.
It was my job as the nipper in the house to make sure that the paraffin heaters were kept topped up and the wick hadn't burnt down.
Because we had three paraffin heaters in the house we thought we were therefore 'middle class', we weren't.
lol

In those days Woolworths had real wooden floors, and they used to sell slabs of toffee that were impossible to eat.

Car window wipers that worked of the vacuum of the engine, when I say worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

[Rising tone} Bom, bom, bom, bom. Esso Blue. (Try to remember the jingle.)

As for vacuum wipers, only my first car, 49 Chev (Aaah, NZ! late '70's) had vacuum wipers: you could adjust the rate of wipe by the accelerator; light was fast, heavy was none!

Whatever happened to on 15:01 - Mar 23 with 851 viewsTheBlob

Whatever happened to on 14:57 - Mar 23 by isawqpratwcity

[Rising tone} Bom, bom, bom, bom. Esso Blue. (Try to remember the jingle.)

As for vacuum wipers, only my first car, 49 Chev (Aaah, NZ! late '70's) had vacuum wipers: you could adjust the rate of wipe by the accelerator; light was fast, heavy was none!

Whatever happened to on 15:02 - Mar 23 with 851 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Whatever happened to on 14:32 - Mar 23 by HantsR

For 1d:
8 aniseed balls
4 Black Jacks
2 gobstoppers
2 refreshers
2 fresh shrimps
1 penny chew

Also:
Sherbert dab
Liquorice fountain
Flying saucers
Sweet cigarettes
Love Hearts
Swizzel lolly
Fruit chews
Sweet peanut
Beech nut chewing gum

Is it no wonder I was a regular at the dentist. Fillings galore. Thankfully the old knashers have survived.

Toffee apples another favourite of mine.
Whatever happened to on 15:03 - Mar 23 with 845 viewsWeaverQPR

White dogshit?

@WeavQPR

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024